Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skeleton Crew

Trade Reject Etiquette

So, I have been in the same dynasty leagues for a few years now, and I have noticed that some activity has stagnated a bit as time goes on. Not as many trades are made these days, and other managers have complained about the lack of activity as far as trades go. It seems as if trades that are offered get rejected without feedback or a counteroffer, or a nasty message to other managers in the message board. So my question is this:

What is the proper etiquette for rejecting a trade offer, in any sport? Should a poor offer be seen as an insult, or an opportunity to negotiate your way to a better deal? Should feedback be given if you do not like the deal? Should a manager make a counteroffer to at least show the other manager what it would realistically take to get the players they wanted?

First of I want to state, I'm not a huge fan of people complaining about being in leagues where trades do not happen much. I for one am not the type of person who just trades to trade to shake things up or get a fresh look on my team. I do my research, I usually draft the players I want and I don't really find myself in that many situations where I'm looking to wheel and deal(especially football and basketball), baseball I'm very much more open to trades, but then again I really only target great buy-low options. Just wanted to start out with that before I continue...

As far as etiquette goes, I've never had an issue with it. I play with a very close group of friends I've known since high school and we all hang out regularly. I say this because you bring up "feedback" and "counter-offers" and how to properly handle the process...and actually when I'm pursuing a trade I do not even send out a request via our league website(ESPN), rather I send a text message to begin things...something like "Hey, what are you thoughts about trading 'Player X'?" Then basically through his response I form a "read" on what his opinion on trading him would be...sometimes I'll get back a "I'm not interested in trading him" then I basically know to end discussions right away. If he sends me back something like "What are you thinking?" then I'll send him my offer via text again and wait for his response. If he likes it we move forward, trade complete. He may send me back something like "Let me take a look at your team." - in which I'll wait, but at this point since I do not pursue that many trades I've already over-analyzed what I would offer for this player or who he'd be interested in, so I pretty much wait to hear from him, but most likely I'll end up telling him exactly what I'm willing to part with for his player and why it could be a good option for him. If he doesn't like it, then I basically tell him we won't be able to work things out. No big deal, just not a match.

If someone approaches me with a trade proposal, I will certainly look at in-depth. Figure out what their goal is in the trade, who they want...examine their team and who I want in return for fair value. I'll let them know if I find something I think will work, if they do not like it, then I'll tell them we most likely won't be able to work something out.

Well this ended up turning into a long rant, but hopefully this gives you some insight on how I believe my league works great with trade etiquette-wise and how I feel is a good way to approach the trade process.

With that in mind, it is amazing to me how many people would be seemingly content with their team, even as they sit in the bottom rungs of the league. It seems that if you're team is not playing well enough to make the playoffs, a roster shake-up would be in order. Sure, you may have done your research and tried to draft well, but at the end of the day, if your team sucks, then why keep going forward with mediocrity?

With that in mind, it is amazing to me how many people would be seemingly content with their team, even as they sit in the bottom rungs of the league. It seems that if you're team is not playing well enough to make the playoffs, a roster shake-up would be in order. Sure, you may have done your research and tried to draft well, but at the end of the day, if your team sucks, then why keep going forward with mediocrity?

I think it's a matter of assuming your picks are still good and sticking with your guys being "buy-low" and not having a mediocre season. One of the best assets a fantasy owner can have is to be constantly evaluating players based on reality and not who is on your lineup. Evaluating talent with bias is a dangerous thing. More in roto than H2H, you ALWAYS have a weakness if you're not running away with it.

Isn't it good form to send a counter offer? For example, I may have Albert Pujols, some guy may be trying to offer me some buy low price, such as Andrew McCutchen and Brett Anderson, which is not enough in my eyes, shouldn't at least tell the guy what the price would be for Pujols? I'd say "It's gonna cost you at least a Ryan Braun and a Halladay." He's not gonna accept that, but at least now he knows the value of Pujols for that league. Every player has a price. I see teams that set their rosters everyday, and make the occasional roster add, but otherwise they say nothing and make no real moves. Many of these teams never come close to winning year after year. If no counter offer, then shouldn't at least offering some feedback on a reject be the standard?

So is a text message a binding trade offer or does it need to be formally sent through the fantasy provider?

Cause someone sent me a text message offer the other night and I accepted it this morning and now he's ignoring me and not posting the offer.

Bottom line I guess I'll just steer clear of this type of transaction communication with this manager.