Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cubs4life

Billy Hamilton, SS CIN

274 posts in this topic

Hamilton is ranked as the #2 prospect in the Reds organization by Baseball America.

He's only hitting .199 so far in the Midwest League (low A), but his speed is unreal. He's already got 40 SBs!!!

In the last 10 games, he has 7 hits and 6 walks, but has still managed to steal 14 bases.

With a K-rate approaching 30% and no power, his bat will be his biggest obstacle.

It will be interesting to see if he can reach 100 SBs this year.

IMO, you'll never amount to anything in baseball unless you have a somewhat decent bat. His is TERRIBLE. The SB are interesting, but i don't think he'll ever get on base in the bigs at this rate.

IMO, you'll never amount to anything in baseball unless you have a somewhat decent bat. His is TERRIBLE. The SB are interesting, but i don't think he'll ever get on base in the bigs at this rate.

Agreed. I hope the best for Hamilton, but unless he improves significantly at the plate, his speed will only lead him toward a Joey Gathright-type career.

Yeah, I'm very worried about him never really figuring it out at the plate. He's certainly a name worth filing away, but unless he can find a way to improve the contact rate, and start hitting the ball with any authority....Gathright is an apt comparison.

Agreed. I hope the best for Hamilton, but unless he improves significantly at the plate, his speed will only lead him toward a Joey Gathright-type career.

I thought about Gathright when I made my post, but Hamilton has a couple more things going for him....he profiles as a middle infielder and he has a decent walk rate. Still, a guy with a 30% K-rate in low A has a long way to go. He did hit over .300 last year as a 19 year old and this year's numbers are still a pretty small sample size. If he can figure things out, it looks like he could be a 60+ SB guy in the majors.

I thought about Gathright when I made my post, but Hamilton has a couple more things going for him....he profiles as a middle infielder and he has a decent walk rate. Still, a guy with a 30% K-rate in low A has a long way to go. He did hit over .300 last year as a 19 year old and this year's numbers are still a pretty small sample size. If he can figure things out, it looks like he could be a 60+ SB guy in the majors.

I don't own Hamilton, but I'm rooting for him. It would be a shame to see all that speed potential go to waste, since he seems to steal most times he's on base. It's just that his 1st 171 ABs have been such a disappointment in terms of his BA, but he's young enough to improve at the plate.

Insane speed....now if he could just figure out a way to steal 1st......

Hamilton has 66 stolen bases in 84 games for Low-A Dayton.Spin: The 20-year-old's batting line is not fantastic at .242/.296/.316, and he has only hit one home run this season. Nevertheless, 66 steals on 77 attempts in 84 games is bordering on Ricky Henderson territory, making Hamilton a prospect to watch.

It's not all that hard to steal bases in A Ball. Lots of players have insane #'s there and come back to earth at higher levels. He does have great speed though

I think we all konow at this point the guy has silly speed but what do people think about his bat? He hit over 300 last year in a ball but has struggled this year. Hes still young but anyone think he can be a 280ish hitter one day in the majors?

I think we all konow at this point the guy has silly speed but what do people think about his bat? He hit over 300 last year in a ball but has struggled this year. Hes still young but anyone think he can be a 280ish hitter one day in the majors?

Last year was Rookie Ball, but he was a slap in the spring games i saw him. Surprised he is doing so bad when the fielders that low are not all that good, not a good sign of things to come.

Insane speed....now if he could just figure out a way to steal 1st......

Hamilton has 66 stolen bases in 84 games for Low-A Dayton.Spin: The 20-year-old's batting line is not fantastic at .242/.296/.316, and he has only hit one home run this season. Nevertheless, 66 steals on 77 attempts in 84 games is bordering on Ricky Henderson territory, making Hamilton a prospect to watch.

I think this is a lot closer to Tony Womack territory. Or maybe Vince Coleman. But please don't compare him to Rickey!!!

So far this month he's hitting .337/.417/.426/.843 with 20 steals in 101 at bats.

For the season he's up to .256/.320/.344/.664 with 75 steals in 390 at bats.

Sure, Hamilton started off the season with a low average. But, he's hit .325 in 52 games since the start of July and he has a .455 average in his last 10 games. This is after he hit .318 last year.

I think you guys might've rushed to judgment on this guy. He's made adjustments and they've paid off. And ...

It will be interesting to see if he can reach 100 SBs this year.

He now has 92 steals in 125 games with 11 games left before the playoffs (which Dayton will make) to get the last 8 steals.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=571740

I think he's worth at least considering for the 'Top 10 MiLB SS' thread.

Jesus Christ. He's up to 103 SB. in 550 AB's....sure, he's been caught 20 times, but that's still insanity.

Jesus Christ. He's up to 103 SB. in 550 AB's....sure, he's been caught 20 times, but that's still insanity.

I wasn't sure he'd make it to 100 but when you steal 8 bases in only 3 games that'll help.

Obviously, he still has things to work on. But, his plate discipline went from 21 walks/73 k's in the 1st half of the season to 31 and 60 in the 2nd half so that's something. He's done much better in the 2nd half.

He's done much better in the 2nd half.

yep. he's done what a player of his caliber is expected to do, and that's learn from his mistakes. he's been great in the 2nd half, and will definitely be in high-A to start the year off. However, if the plate discipline keeps progressing, he'll move up rather quick. That's game changing speed, and though he needs to work a bit on the baserunning aspect, I have a feeling he'll move quickly.

39 E's in his first season at SS may put a damper on Hamilton. But scouts say he has the range and arm to play there so time will tell. I heard he has not been caught tring to steal 3B all year, but maybe picked off. Anyone hear the same?

soooooo, Hamilton or Cozart for the SS of the future for the Reds?
hamilton at 2b, cozart at ss

Cozart will be the Reds shortstop next season with Phillips likely still at 2nd (the Reds hold a $12M option for next year). I bet Cozart will still be the shortstop to start 2013 but after that it's anyone's guess. And other Reds prospects (like Henry Rodriguez) can't be counted out for the future 2b/ss.

yeah i dont think we will see hamilton until 2013 anyway, at which point i imagine phillips to be gone and cozart to be entrenched at ss

Speed and no power plays alot better in the middle infield than it does in CF, but the fact he made a ton of errors at SS did not help his cause. It may all come down to how long Phillips re-ups for(if he does).