Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luckynines

Mike Moustakas 2011 Season Outlook

Hate to see a thread on this kid die so I am bumping it.

The dream would be for Mous to have a great 2009 in the minors, make it to AA by mid-season, tear it up some more and give Royals' fans a treat by giving the kid a September call-up with 7-8 games played.

Again, that is a dream. I really can't imagine him getting any serious look at the majors in 2009.

I hear ya Dcc but like you said, i seriously doubt it as well. I guess we can hope for mid to late 2010

I hear ya Dcc but like you said, i seriously doubt it as well. I guess we can hope for mid to late 2010

I have a late-2010 time frame for him as well. He won't get the Majors in '09 unless he puts up numbers that are insane. A lot due to the fact that they'll have at least four top prospects that need to be added to the 40-man next fall, and they'll have a roster crunch. I think he'll split this year in High-A and AA, then go from there.

The important thing is for him to succeed. After the Colt Griffin nightmare pick and the failure of Chris Lubanski, Royals need their picks to turn out a bit more successful. Moustakas and Hosmer give Royals fans some hope.

The important thing is for him to succeed. After the Colt Griffin nightmare pick and the failure of Chris Lubanski, Royals need their picks to turn out a bit more successful. Moustakas and Hosmer give Royals fans some hope.

The Griffin pick was just dumb from the start. You don't take a project of that magnitude on with the 9th pick in the draft. If they were coming off a 90 win season and had a studly farm system...then yea, go for it. But at that point, just brutal.

Still an elite prospect or is the star starting to fade big-time?

Line is at .258/.295/.419 in 329 ABs this year. Very disappointing.

19 years old, in a tough environment, by all reports still has bat speed & prior skills, I'd be very patient. The only issue I would look for is his pitch recognition (not that it was bad before, but as he progresses - how is it doing)? But that's also something that he can learn along the way, and as a 19 year-old, I'd only be worried if he can't adjust & dominate as time goes by.

FWIW, as a 19 year-old, I'd hope to see him explode in the AFL this fall (I'm sure he's headed there), and then make the leap to AA next season. This year is about consolidating his skills and adjusting to better caliber pitching. His K/BB ratio clearly suggests he's at least 2-3 years away from the MILB - but most owners should have known this as well. I thought he'd be 2 years away when the season started, but I thought he'd have enough success at High-A this year to break into the top 10-20 prospects for 2010. Clearly that won't be the case - but I'd still be patient for all the reasons above.

After a nice little stretch Moustakas has been downright awful. Last 10 games: 1-40 (.025)

After a nice little stretch Moustakas has been downright awful. Last 10 games: 1-40 (.025)

This guy is super streaky... He was the same way last year. He poured it on Post All-Star break after a terrible start. I'm thinking it's a good buy low time for Moustakas in a keeper league.... But I'd need to see some sign of life in his bat before I tried to trade for him.

1 for 40 with 2 BB's is terrible. 7 K's over that span isn't too bad. At least he's keeping his contact rate over 80%. His .266 BABIP is bound to go up, but at only .242 I was really hoping his BABIP would have been lower than that...

I am disappointed in the the recent returns but I agree 100% that if you can buy low now is the time. I wouldn't wait for any signs. The kid has way too quick of hands and too much power to not improve; unless his work ethic is just awful, but I haven't heard that.

Since I posted his slump let me also post his recent success. Last 5 games: 8-20 with five extra base hits (2 HR). Still no walks but he is hitting again.

Last ten games: .368 (14-38) with 6 extra base hits. 3 BB/9 K

heating up again?

Alex Gordon's move to LF opens the door for Moustakas. Possible 2010 call-up looming? As far as prospects go, 3B is kinda thin (with so many guys transitioning to 1B).

Three home runs in five games. Six in his 12 on the season. Batting over .400.

Meanwhile, Bloomquist is hitting .148 with 1 RBI, so they moved over Callaspo, but does he stick there with Getz's slow start (.200)?

Any KC fans with insight?

Three home runs in five games. Six in his 12 on the season. Batting over .400.

Meanwhile, Bloomquist is hitting .148 with 1 RBI, so they moved over Callaspo, but does he stick there with Getz's slow start (.200)?

Any KC fans with insight?

you're going to blow an o-ring. i think they would be smart to let these good habits sink in for a bit.

he isnt even 22 yet, and is only 48 ABs into his first stint at Double-A after struggling a bunch in High-A last year.

they rushed gordon to the majors; even billy butler spent a full year at the old Double-A affiliate in Wichita.

i would think that a cup of coffee is the best you can/should hope for.

I saw Moustakas at Wilmington last year a few times since I literally live 20 minutes from Frawley Stadium...I wasn't overly impressed. He could develop but I'm not sure what kind of power potential he has.

I have seen Montgomery. If the Royals take their time, and let him develop...absolute STUD.

Anyone else hear any rumblings of Moustakas possibly getting the call in the next week or two? Someone mentioned it on KLaw's chat today, but he hadn't heard much on it. I would think they would move him up to Omaha first, but then again it is the Royals we are talking about here....

Anyone else hear any rumblings of Moustakas possibly getting the call in the next week or two? Someone mentioned it on KLaw's chat today, but he hadn't heard much on it. I would think they would move him up to Omaha first, but then again it is the Royals we are talking about here....

For what it's worth, I search Google News daily for any updates on Moustakas, and while the articles I find heap praise on the kid, I haven't really seen anything on an upcoming call-up, outside of a stray fantasy article naming him as a guy to watch in the minors.

Here's hoping, though!

Big night tonight! 3 for 4, 2 HR, 4 RBI.

Racing up those leaderboards after missing the first part of the season.

I don't see him playing every day with current KC roster. Callaspo is just too good to be benched.

i imagine if moustakas got the call callaspo would move to 2nd, aviles would move to SS and betancourt would be benched. i don't see them shifting their entire infield mid-season like that though. there's not really any reason to call him up since they don't really plan on being in contention...

Man I hope much of this skill set translates. Looking at an old 2009 magazine, it said that he would have power, but the average would be well ... average.

This year, his batting eye has been outstanding and i've seen quotes from him saying that he's been more selective and setting up for pitches ... and it shows.

15:18 bb:k ratio. Another 2-5 hr w/ 2 walks night last night. Also love that he hits lefties as well as righties.

That small sample size is getting bigger. Pretty impressive: 1.290ops over 29g and 110abs.

I have Pedro Alvarez and I've been trying to trade Pedro off the hype. I think this guy will be more consistent. Able to hit lefties, good eye, plenty of pop.

Moustakas always had the bat speed, it looks like he's getting the finer points of hitting. He's destroying AA, another HR today. Would like to see him challenged a bit more. I'd suspect a stopover at AAA is in order, although not required. We're right at the point where Super-2 worries begin to fall away, so KC could make a move. But I question how Moustakas can be defensively at 3B. The team moved Gordon off there and I'd say Gordon is probably better than Moose other than arm strength. We'll see how that plays out.

Considering how much KC stinks, I doubt it matters too much. They should be finding room to move Gordon back into the line-up, and maybe shortly thereafter Moustakas. Some people say there's not room for either guy, but that's BS. KC is a below average offensive team who has nothing to play for. You make room for players like that. Callaspo is already a rover in the IF, and can return to his more natural 2B.

"Mike Moustakas left the game 2 innings after banging a wall while chasing a foul ball. Being on the road, we won't know anymore until tomorrow"

"The removal of Moustakas appeared to be precautionary and did not look serious in any way."