Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luckynines

Mike Moustakas 2011 Season Outlook

I love his swing. Great plate coverage, powerful stroke. Makes it look easy, too.

Moustakas with 2 more home runs tonight.

He is now hitting .347, with 17 doubles, 17 HR, and 59 RBI in 49 games at AA.

Something that goes overlooked about him is his arm. You could argue he has a 80 grade arm.

The Royals have promoted 3B prospect Mike Moustakas to Triple-A Omaha. He hit .347 with 21 home runs, 76 RBI and an OPS of 1.100 in Double-A.

(Updated 07/14/2010).

The Royals have promoted 3B prospect Mike Moustakas to Triple-A Omaha. He hit .347 with 21 home runs, 76 RBI and an OPS of 1.100 in Double-A.

(Updated 07/14/2010).

Its about time!

I think its a foregone conclusion that he is not going to be up in the bigs this year, but since he has already dominated AA, he needs to learn from playing at AAA. How he performs here can make or break his status for 2011. He is now going to be directly compared to Alex Gordon, which is entirely unfair to Moose seeing as how Gordon is the more veteran player at AAA. That being said, though, if Moose can merely keep up with Gordon, then Moose has solidifed his stance as the Royals future 3B

(Updated 07/14/2010).

Huge stat line this year... But he's still got nothing on Dayan Viciedo!!!

Don't look now, but Moosetacos is finally looking alive at AAA.

Last 10:

.395/.426/.628

3/5 BB/K

7 R, 7 RBI

Still needs to work on walking more. His K-rate is fine, but 5 BB in 37 games isn't going to cut it...

Don't look now, but Moosetacos is finally looking alive at AAA.

Last 10:

.395/.426/.628

3/5 BB/K

7 R, 7 RBI

Still needs to work on walking more. His K-rate is fine, but 5 BB in 37 games isn't going to cut it...

Yeah, that's Pedro Alvarez material.

Do you guys think he will make it to the majors next spring or be called up at some later point in the 2011 season?

In a perfect world he'd get more AAA time to work on his plate discipline. He's only 21, has struggled to start every level he's been moved up to, and still has things to work on.

That said, 3B is fairly weak for KC. Betemit is having a decent year so it depends what they do with him in the off-season, but obviously MooseTacos is the future there. They just have no reason to rush him. Depends entirely on the organization's plans, which we will learn about as the off-season progresses.

3 Hrs and a double so far tonight with 11 RBI. He just missed a fourth HR on his opposite field double.

Wow.

Its just becoming more and more apparent how ridiculously good the Royals farm system is. The Rays and Braves have impressive systems, but its mostly about pitching with them (save for Jennings and Freeman)...the Royals are just completely stacked with elite pitching AND hitting prospects. With as weak as the AL Central has been lately, I could see a Tampa Bay-like explosion onto the scene within a couple years. I think they're winning that division by 2012 or 13. I seriously cant remember a farm system this strong as long as I've been following the minors and I'm really starting to get excited to see how much of it translates to the big league level.

I'd put 7 guys in the top 150 right now:

Moustakas

Myers

Hosmer

Montgomery

Lamb

Duffy

Dwyer

5 of those are arguably in the top 25.

Half of their fringe players would be top 5's in other systems: Colon, Ebiner, Culbert, Crow, Melville, Giavotella, Arguelles, Collins, Ventura

Add that to some of the younger guys already at the big league level (Butler, Gordon, Aviles, Greinke, Soria) and the fact that they'll get another top 5 pick in the 2011 draft. I also think they've been doing a decent job of turning veteran players for prospects. Over the past couple years, they've moved Callaspo, Posednik, Ankiel, and Jose Guillen for prospects (does anyone know who the PTBNL is in the Guillen trade?)...and they were just about to turn DeJesus before he got hurt. I could see them moving Soria or Greinke for some stud prospects in the near future.

I'm not trying to hijack, its just crazy to see what Moustakas is doing and realizing the fact that there's 4 other guys in that system that are right up there with him.

Its just becoming more and more apparent how ridiculously good the Royals farm system is. The Rays and Braves have impressive systems, but its mostly about pitching with them (save for Jennings and Freeman)...the Royals are just completely stacked with elite pitching AND hitting prospects. With as weak as the AL Central has been lately, I could see a Tampa Bay-like explosion onto the scene within a couple years. I think they're winning that division by 2012 or 13. I seriously cant remember a farm system this strong as long as I've been following the minors and I'm really starting to get excited to see how much of it translates to the big league level.

I'd put 7 guys in the top 150 right now:

Moustakas

Myers

Hosmer

Montgomery

Lamb

Duffy

Dwyer

5 of those are arguably in the top 25.

Half of their fringe players would be top 5's in other systems: Colon, Ebiner, Culbert, Crow, Melville, Giavotella, Arguelles, Collins, Ventura

Add that to some of the younger guys already at the big league level (Butler, Gordon, Aviles, Greinke, Soria) and the fact that they'll get another top 5 pick in the 2011 draft. I also think they've been doing a decent job of turning veteran players for prospects. Over the past couple years, they've moved Callaspo, Posednik, Ankiel, and Jose Guillen for prospects (does anyone know who the PTBNL is in the Guillen trade?)...and they were just about to turn DeJesus before he got hurt. I could see them moving Soria or Greinke for some stud prospects in the near future.

I'm not trying to hijack, its just crazy to see what Moustakas is doing and realizing the fact that there's 4 other guys in that system that are right up there with him.

I will say this - I'm not enamored of Dayton Moore's trading history (I have to give him a pass for FA signings, as no one wants to play in KC, so he has to spend his $ on gambles), but I will acknowledge he is a good evaluator of talent - whether it's him, or the ability to hire the right scouting staff, either way, he's done an excellent job

I think we'll also find out more about Moore's philosophy of future building overall with Moustakas' treatment this month - if they keep him down without a Sept. callup, you can pretty much bet they will at least do the 2-week "extend a year of FA" delay in AAA for 2011, or worse yet, the "avoid Super-2" 2-month stint in AAA.

The other take home-message - don't write off position players who struggle in Wilmington. That place is murder on hitters, one only need look at Hosmer & Moustakas to see how much playing there deflated their #'s when the talent was clearly still there. At the same time, don't get too excited about Royals SP's until they are past Wilmington, too.

I will say this - I'm not enamored of Dayton Moore's trading history (I have to give him a pass for FA signings, as no one wants to play in KC, so he has to spend his $ on gambles), but I will acknowledge he is a good evaluator of talent - whether it's him, or the ability to hire the right scouting staff, either way, he's done an excellent job

I think we'll also find out more about Moore's philosophy of future building overall with Moustakas' treatment this month - if they keep him down without a Sept. callup, you can pretty much bet they will at least do the 2-week "extend a year of FA" delay in AAA for 2011, or worse yet, the "avoid Super-2" 2-month stint in AAA.

The other take home-message - don't write off position players who struggle in Wilmington. That place is murder on hitters, one only need look at Hosmer & Moustakas to see how much playing there deflated their #'s when the talent was clearly still there. At the same time, don't get too excited about Royals SP's until they are past Wilmington, too.

What is so bad about it on hitters? I don't know much on the stadium, but saw on their site that the dimensions aren't that big at...

RF - 325 feet <LI>CF - 400 feet <LI>LF - 325 feet

I never understood this either. Is there a tough summer wind in that area?

I'd like to know the reasons as well.....but I have heard that time and time again -- that Wilmington is brutal on hitters. It just makes what Wil Myers is doing all the more special.

<br />I'd like to know the reasons as well.....but I have heard that time and time again -- that Wilmington is brutal on hitters. It just makes what Wil Myers is doing all the more special.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

There's a few reason its always tough to hit in Wilmington. One, they're in the Carolina league which is a pitching league to begin with. Another reason is that at the beginning of the season it can just be plain cold, and that seems to linger for quite awhile. But probably the single most reason though is the wind off of the Delaware bay. Its very close to the stadium and for a majority of the season the wind just howls off of it almost straight in from center field. Almost every prospect the Royals have had has had tough times there. Carlos Beltran is a good example if you check out his minor league stats.

Royals general manager Dayton Moore said that third base prospect Mike Moustakas will not be among the team's September call-ups.

"You could certainly make a case that it’s important for him to come up here in September, get acclimated and see what the major leagues are about," said Moore. "Is that prudent now? It’s not. He’s still going to get the same opportunity in spring training that he would have had in 2011 whether he’s a September call-up or not." Moustakas, who turns 22 later this month, is batting .326/.374/.637 with 34 home runs and 120 RBI between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha this season. He'll have a chance to audition during spring training next season, but we're thinking the Royals won't want to start his service clock until after Memorial Day.

<br /><br /><br />

There's a few reason its always tough to hit in Wilmington. One, they're in the Carolina league which is a pitching league to begin with. Another reason is that at the beginning of the season it can just be plain cold, and that seems to linger for quite awhile. But probably the single most reason though is the wind off of the Delaware bay. Its very close to the stadium and for a majority of the season the wind just howls off of it almost straight in from center field. Almost every prospect the Royals have had has had tough times there. Carlos Beltran is a good example if you check out his minor league stats.

Thanks. Always kinda wondered what the reasons were.

Thanks DoWork for highlighting why Wilmington is Death Valley for hitters.

Well, with him getting no service time - I think we have a good idea on what Moore has in store re: managing FA & Super-2 arbitration service time. That has implications not just for Moose, but for Lamb, too, for 2011. Can't really blame the Royals, they have little shot to win the division title in 2011 - I'd be betting on an early June 2011 callup for both Moose & Lamb.

Long-term, if they can develop Moustakas, Hosmer, Myers and Colon to help their anemic O, and get Lamb, Dwyer & Montgomery to be ready for 2012's rotation (Lamb for 2011, the other 2 for late 2011/early 2012), this team could be a LOT better in a hurry. I've been down on Moore's GM abilities in the trade market, but I will say this - it's a great young farm system he's built.

Probably my favorite hitting prospect for the 2011-2012 season as far as fantasy goes. He could hit cleanup for the Royals tomorrow, and I think that he has the power to hit 40 jacks at the big league level. I traded for him in a dynasty league in June, and I think it is one of the best moves I've made.

Do you guys think he will make it to the majors next spring or be called up at some later point in the 2011 season?

I'd imagine he'd see at the very least a September call up. Wouldn't expect him to make the team out of Spring Training, but you never know.