Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luckynines

Mike Moustakas 2011 Season Outlook

He won't make the team out of ST, but he'll be up on June 1st to avoid super-two status. Royals have nothing to play for in 2011, so they'll delay his clock. NO WAY he stays at AAA until September unless he unexpectedly struggles.

Probably my favorite hitting prospect for the 2011-2012 season as far as fantasy goes. He could hit cleanup for the Royals tomorrow, and I think that he has the power to hit 40 jacks at the big league level. I traded for him in a dynasty league in June, and I think it is one of the best moves I've made.

I doubt he will hit 40 regularly as a big leaguer (probably a couple of seasons spread over his career). Let alone as a Royal. That is a tough park to hit it out of. But the guy is a one hell of a hitting prospect.

But keep in mind guys who tore through the TEX and PCL leagues (two leagues that are known for being very favorable to hitters).

Chris Davis

Chris Carter

Sean Rodriguez

Brandon Wood

Jake Fox

Kila Ka'aihue

Not to hate on Mouse Tacos, but all of these guys tore through TEX and PCL play yet struggled in the bigs thus far...

I doubt he will hit 40 regularly as a big leaguer (probably a couple of seasons spread over his career). Let alone as a Royal. That is a tough park to hit it out of. But the guy is a one hell of a hitting prospect.

But keep in mind guys who tore through the TEX and PCL leagues (two leagues that are known for being very favorable to hitters).

Chris Davis

Chris Carter

Sean Rodriguez

Brandon Wood

Jake Fox

Kila Ka'aihue

Not to hate on Mouse Tacos, but all of these guys tore through TEX and PCL play yet struggled in the bigs thus far...

The TEX and PCL are both hitter friendly, but there are differences between Moose and these fellas.

Chris Davis- Nice numbers on the surface between the two leagues, but there's a key difference. There's a huge difference between his BA and BABIP, which suggests he got pretty lucky. His lowest BABIP in any of his stints from 2008 onward was .365, and the highest .407. His BA averaged about 50 points lower than the BABIP. Moustakas's BABIP in the TEX league this year was .342, but that was actually LOWER than his BA, since HRs don't factor into BABIP. In the PCL his BABIP was also lower (.293 BA, .271 BABIP)

Chris Carter- Raked in the TEX, but was aided just as Davis was by a near .400 BABIP. He also seemed to struggle with the transition to the PCL, as though he kept hitting homers at an impressive clip, his averaged dipped to the .250s and he struck out in almost 30% of his at bats, nearly 3 times as much as Moose.

Sean Rodriguez- Strange one, just appears to have fizzled in the majors. His numbers have no real weaknesses, other than the K rate, which is over Moose's. He was also nearly 2 years older when he reached AAA, suggesting that he might have already developed all he was going to by the time he got there. It looks like his 2008 AAA campaign is what elevated his stock so much, as he had an uncharacteristically low K rate at 18%, whereas his AA an major league ones sit in the high 20s and low 30s. Ugly.

Brandon Wood- Talk about a disappointment. His numbers show that it was in the writing, though, his K rates are similar to Sean Rodriguez's major league ones (high 20%s to low 30%s), and his BABIP is well over his BA at most every level. Good surface statistics, but the peripherals tell the real story.

Jake Fox- Was already 24 years old when he first reached the TEX league, and spent his most productive time there and in the PCL at age 26, 4 years older than Moose is now. His numbers aren't that impressive even then, he was aided by a .427 BABIP in his 194 PCL plate appearances in 09 which inflated his average a ton. He also has a K rate near 20 in the PCL versus Moose's 11%, and didn't hit for nearly as much power.

Kila Monster- I really want this guy to do well, and I still think there's potential. His breakout year came in 2008, when he was 24, and his K rates were a bit higher than Moose's. He draws a lot more walks, and his numbers are generally stellar in that one 2008 season. I think the main thing to pay attention to here is that he was 3 years older than Moose was in his biggest minor league year, and suggests that there wasn't much room left to grow, whereas Moustakas may not even be half the player he might be one day.

I would guess June 1 at the earliest to avoid "super-two" status. However, he's off to a slow start. He always seems to start slow and then the bat gets hot. Here's hoping that happens soon.

I would guess June 1 at the earliest to avoid "super-two" status. However, he's off to a slow start. He always seems to start slow and then the bat gets hot. Here's hoping that happens soon.

He's struggling thus far into the season at AAA. While Alex Gordon is raking. He is going to need a nice turn around or an injury to get the call by June.

Also I feel Dayan Viciedo is an equally intriguing if not more than (I'm a Sox fan) Moustakas. Yet he doesn't get near the hype.

He's struggling thus far into the season at AAA. While Alex Gordon is raking. He is going to need a nice turn around or an injury to get the call by June.

Also I feel Dayan Viciedo is an equally intriguing if not more than (I'm a Sox fan) Moustakas. Yet he doesn't get near the hype.

Isn't Moustakas a 3B and Gordon a LF? How is that relevant? Wilson freakin' Betimit is starting at 3B...

I've been wondering this as well, Viciedo gets no credit. Moustakas doesn't nearly walk enough for me to think he'll be a good big league player just yet.

Gordon is an LF/1B these days.

Moustakas just hit 2 bombs last night... I really need a bat at 3B this year so here's hoping he gets the call in late May or early June and has a nice rookie season in the bigs.

Any Royals fans have any insight on when we'll see Moustakas?

Still not exactly raking in AAA... is he coming up June 1st regardless?

Any Royals fans have any insight on when we'll see Moustakas?

Still not exactly raking in AAA... is he coming up June 1st regardless?

+1. Any news on a possible callup?

With Betemit playing well and a supposed log jam at 2nd/3rd since the Hosmer callup, I'm not so sure we will see him soon, just my opinion. With the Royals competing and Aviles/Betemit/Getz getting switched around daily, I'm not sure there is room for him......unless Betemit starts struggling, also the fact that he is not raking makes it seem that the Royalks would be in no rush to bring him up.

With Betemit playing well and a supposed log jam at 2nd/3rd since the Hosmer callup, I'm not so sure we will see him soon, just my opinion. With the Royals competing and Aviles/Betemit/Getz getting switched around daily, I'm not sure there is room for him......unless Betemit starts struggling, also the fact that he is not raking makes it seem that the Royalks would be in no rush to bring him up.

Agree. I expect he's going to really get it going as the weather warms up. I don't suspect we'll see him until September at the earliest, unless he goes bonkers at some point like Hosmer.

Agree. I expect he's going to really get it going as the weather warms up. I don't suspect we'll see him until September at the earliest, unless he goes bonkers at some point like Hosmer.

I took Moustakas in a keeper over Hosmer cause there are no minor spots and I figured he would be up this year

go figure

2 for 4 with 2 RBI & a SB yesterday.

Hitting .368 in his last 5 games with a HR, the SB, and 3 RBI.

.932 OPS in last 10 games.

He's not doing bad at all, maybe had a slow start.

I still see moustakas > hosmer over long stretch.

I still see moustakas > hosmer over long stretch.

even if their numbers are equal Moustakas will have more value just by position alone, so your statement isn't a stretch. in fact Mous could have slightly lower numbers and still be more valuable

Hit again yesterday.

2 for 3 with 2 RBIs, both hits were doubles.

Moustakas will be up this summer, once Betemit starts hitting more like himself again.

They should ship Betemit to the Marlins and give Aviles everyday AB's till Mouse is ready. They should be able to get a good bullpen arm in return.

Just got Moose in my 30 team dynasty league i believe he will be up in July-Early August if he keeps hitting the way he has been lately and Betemit either gets traded or returns back to his old ways.

Hit another home run while going 2 for 5 and 3 rbi last night, according to his game log on the Storm Chasers web site. Also struck out for the first time in 7 games. I think we can breathe a little easier now.

At every level he's gone to now, he's struggled at the start before turning things around. I don't think MLB will be any different.

He is moving into "rake beast" mode slowly I think(I hope).

He is moving into "rake beast" mode slowly I think(I hope).

another homer, 2 hits MOUSEEEEEEEEEEEE