Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luckynines

Mike Moustakas 2011 Season Outlook

when is that super 2 oveR?

Well the question is worded poorly (as in what does "over" mean). The answer is there is no set date or time.

) The top 17 percent of players with at least 2 but less than 3 years of Major League service. These are known as “Super 2” players. To qualify as a Super 2, a player must have accumulated at least 86 days of service in the previous year. Historically, the cutoff point for Super 2 status is 2 years, 128 days of service, though the requirement has been as high as 2 years, 140 days in years past.

Read more at Suite101: How Baseball Arbitration Works: MLB Rules Governing the Eligibility and Process of Arbitration | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/content/how-baseball-arbitration-works-a45599#ixzz1ODynUKpj

Well the question is worded poorly (as in what does "over" mean). The answer is there is no set date or time.

) The top 17 percent of players with at least 2 but less than 3 years of Major League service. These are known as "Super 2" players. To qualify as a Super 2, a player must have accumulated at least 86 days of service in the previous year. Historically, the cutoff point for Super 2 status is 2 years, 128 days of service, though the requirement has been as high as 2 years, 140 days in years past.

Read more at Suite101: How Baseball Arbitration Works: MLB Rules Governing the Eligibility and Process of Arbitration | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/content/how-baseball-arbitration-works-a45599#ixzz1ODynUKpj

does moutaksa qualify? eta probalbly this month?

does moutaksa qualify? eta probalbly this month?

All MILB players with no prior MLB service time qualify under those terms. Guys with prior service time from prior callups, you have to add the # days they were up that year to get the same estimated dates (Desmond Jennings gets 33 extra days, as an example). Like with Brett Lawrie, you'll see most teams who were playing the service time angle to avoid Super-2 call up their MILB stars within the next week or two. Interestingly, one reason why we've seen some teams call up their guys earlier than the Super-2 deadline (like KC already make the call for Hosmer) is that many teams believe Super-2 won't exists after the current CBA expires after this season. But for those teams that do believe it might be back, yeah, now to the next week or so is when teams will usually start to feel safe in calling up their guys. Believe me, all MLB clubs have statheads who know the exact cut-off date of top 17 percent based on the entire player pool.

But, unlike Lawrie, who has no competition whatsoever at the position he currently plays, the thing with Moustakas is that he would have to play 3B - and right now, Betemit/Aviles is the KC 3B combo (along with Aviles/Getz at 2B). While you would think that wouldn't be an obstacle, for whatever reason Yost is clearly partial to Getz/Aviles/Betemit at 2B/3B, and don't see it yet as a huge need. That could always change, but it's an important distinction.

PLUS....here's the kicker - Moustakas IS NOT on the 40-man roster. That could be a significant obstacle.

Why? Well, that means the Royals would have to waive someone off their roster to call him up. While there are guys that clearly could be released, until you see the Royals give up on a player completely and waive them (the first step is to DFA them), you're not seeing Moose up yet. And while it seems like a FBB no-brainer - the reality is that teams have a much higher threshold to cut bait altogether than to simply send a guy down and call up Moose. I see a couple of guys they shouldn't lose sleep if they cut bait there, but that doesn't mean the FO wants to give up those guys for free and let another team take them, either. It's why it's easier to add/drop from the 40-man roster in the off-season - as a lot of rental "play-now" MLB depth guys and free agents get cleared off the 40-man roster, then teams don't have to give up any assets (no matter how small their present value, their potential growth is why teams don't want to give them up for free, which cutting them does).

Because of the 40-man roster issue, I'm not as confident we'll see Moustakas anytime soon. An injury that puts someone on the 60-day DL, or TOTAL suckitude from the 3B platoon, and sure, it's very possible. And to be clear - I'm not saying he's not coming up at all in 2011 - it's just that the "wait until after Super-2 has passed" certainty many not apply here with Moose as with other hot prospects who already have a spot on the 40-man roster, and given Yost's affection for the trio of Getz/Aviles/Betemit.

All MILB players with no prior MLB service time qualify under those terms. Guys with prior service time from prior callups, you have to add the # days they were up that year to get the same estimated dates (Desmond Jennings gets 33 extra days, as an example). Like with Brett Lawrie, you'll see most teams who were playing the service time angle to avoid Super-2 call up their MILB stars within the next week or two. Interestingly, one reason why we've seen some teams call up their guys earlier than the Super-2 deadline (like KC already make the call for Hosmer) is that many teams believe Super-2 won't exists after the current CBA expires after this season. But for those teams that do believe it might be back, yeah, now to the next week or so is when teams will usually start to feel safe in calling up their guys. Believe me, all MLB clubs have statheads who know the exact cut-off date of top 17 percent based on the entire player pool.

But, unlike Lawrie, who has no competition whatsoever at the position he currently plays, the thing with Moustakas is that he would have to play 3B - and right now, Betemit/Aviles is the KC 3B combo (along with Aviles/Getz at 2B). While you would think that wouldn't be an obstacle, for whatever reason Yost is clearly partial to Getz/Aviles/Betemit at 2B/3B, and don't see it yet as a huge need. That could always change, but it's an important distinction.

PLUS....here's the kicker - Moustakas IS NOT on the 40-man roster. That could be a significant obstacle.

Why? Well, that means the Royals would have to waive someone off their roster to call him up. While there are guys that clearly could be released, until you see the Royals give up on a player completely and waive them (the first step is to DFA them), you're not seeing Moose up yet. And while it seems like a FBB no-brainer - the reality is that teams have a much higher threshold to cut bait altogether than to simply send a guy down and call up Moose. I see a couple of guys they shouldn't lose sleep if they cut bait there, but that doesn't mean the FO wants to give up those guys for free and let another team take them, either. It's why it's easier to add/drop from the 40-man roster in the off-season - as a lot of rental "play-now" MLB depth guys and free agents get cleared off the 40-man roster, then teams don't have to give up any assets (no matter how small their present value, their potential growth is why teams don't want to give them up for free, which cutting them does).

Because of the 40-man roster issue, I'm not as confident we'll see Moustakas anytime soon. An injury that puts someone on the 60-day DL, or TOTAL suckitude from the 3B platoon, and sure, it's very possible. And to be clear - I'm not saying he's not coming up at all in 2011 - it's just that the "wait until after Super-2 has passed" certainty many not apply here with Moose as with other hot prospects who already have a spot on the 40-man roster, and given Yost's affection for the trio of Getz/Aviles/Betemit.

this month anyway?

No, not for sure. That was the point of his entire post.

Heard Keith Law yesterday talking about how GM's and scouts have started to lessen their aspirations regarding Moustakas. Supposedly he's not handling lefties or breaking stuff as well as they'd hoped. I haven't looked into the stats deep enough to confirm any of this myself. That said his AAA line doesn't loof too bad.

2011 AAA numbers in PCL to get an idea of what he's capable of

Moustakas: 228PA / 59H / 10HR / 23XBH / 1SB / 8.1%BB vs 19.8%K / .208ISO / .318BABIP / .292AVG / .356OBP / .510SLG

Lawrie: 251PA / 79H / 15HR / 38XBH / 11SB / 7.2BB% vs 17.9%K / .323ISO/ .379BABIP / .354AVG / .415OBP / .677SLG

Rizzo: 217PA / 69H / 15HR / 34XBH / 5SB / 12.0%BB vs 24.7%K / .349ISO / .425BABIP / .371AVG / .452OBP / .720SLG

Royals prospect Mike Moustakas hit his 10th home run of the year for Triple-A Omaha on Thursday and is in the middle of a seven-game hit streak. He's gone 15 for 33 (.454) over that span with at least two hits in six of the seven games. Moustakas has 12 doubles and 42 RBI to go with his 10 homers. "I mean we're in June now," manager Ned Yost told MLB.com on Friday. "Stay on your roll, young man, and we'll see what happens."

(Updated 06/03/2011).

Moose will most likely be called up the moment super two passes. He's been raking.

I have him and Lawrie on my bench.

i would expect them to try and trade Betemit first. what sense does it make to bench him and kill his trade value? seems that 90% of people think he'll be up within the next week but i'm just not so sure.

Updates? Reading some of these posts it seems like some are questioning whether he'll be called up in 2011 at all. Is it fair to assume he'll be up this year, if not immediately? Wouldn't mind having him and Lawrie in my infield.

Moose will most likely be called up the moment super two passes. He's been raking.

I have him and Lawrie on my bench.

The "unofficial" Super-2 line has since passed. So it's not like teams are waiting for anything specific.

I am glad Aviles is out of here finally. This is great news.