Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cadnams

Dayan Viciedo OF CHW

Anyone have any ideas as to when Viciedo will make it to the majors this year? And also what sort of numbers he will put up once called, and in his prime?

Anyone have any ideas as to when Viciedo will make it to the majors this year? And also what sort of numbers he will put up once called, and in his prime?

i do not believe the white sox are expecting this kid to play this year, however he earned more money than alexei last year meaning the sox believe he is a greater prospect than alexei was last year....so, there is a chance with some injuries (like alexei) =that he could step in and start producing right away...however that is unlikely but i can see him cracking the lineup at same point next season

i do not believe the white sox are expecting this kid to play this year, however he earned more money than alexei last year meaning the sox believe he is a greater prospect than alexei was last year....so, there is a chance with some injuries (like alexei) =that he could step in and start producing right away...however that is unlikely but i can see him cracking the lineup at same point next season

Yeah, but there's one huge flaw in this- Alexei is 27 and had a lot of pro experience in Cuba and in the WBC.

Viciedo is a 19 year old kid and there's almost no chance he sees time in the majors this year, and if he does, it means 1 of 2 things: either that he's the next international superstar or that the White Sox are extremely desperate for a 3b.

He should get at least a full season in the minors before they jump the gun on him.

i wouldn't expect to see him before september in chicago, if at all

he's got big power upside, but it will likely come with a poor average.....defensively he projects more as a 1B or corner OF then a 3B

This isn't true. He has a solid chance to make the team. He has a huge upside and he's only 19 years old. He was known in Cuba as the cuban Babe Ruth!

Yeah, but there's one huge flaw in this- Alexei is 27 and had a lot of pro experience in Cuba and in the WBC.

Viciedo is a 19 year old kid and there's almost no chance he sees time in the majors this year, and if he does, it means 1 of 2 things: either that he's the next international superstar or that the White Sox are extremely desperate for a 3b.

He should get at least a full season in the minors before they jump the gun on him.

Everyone said the same thing about Alexi last year too and look what he turned into. Everyone said he should play the 1st season in the minors..... This guy has a chance to be a huge stud in the MLB.

This isn't true. He has a solid chance to make the team. He has a huge upside and he's only 19 years old. He was known in Cuba as the cuban Babe Ruth!

He has poor plate discipline and is worse then Miguel Cabrera at 3B. There is no chance he plays this year unless every White Sox 3B in their organization gets injured this year and they still can't trade for one.

The best pitcher out of Cuba in the last 10-something year has been Jose Contreras. He's had argualby 2 good seasons and average or flat out bad in all the others. Doesn't that speak for their pitching alone when he is the only notable pitcher to come out of there and was basically God down there? So the kid can hit crappy pitching, good for him. I think he has talent, big time talent actually. He has a lot to improve on though. Most Cubans that come over also have terrible plate discipline, and being he is only 19, well that's not going to help his case. IMO, he's 2 years away at the least, 3 for a shot at a full time job if he ever makes it through the MiLB.

Everyone said the same thing about Alexi last year too and look what he turned into. Everyone said he should play the 1st season in the minors..... This guy has a chance to be a huge stud in the MLB.

Alexei was 27 years old and had almost 10 years of professional ball under his belt if not more. They aren't comparable at all.

So he's introduced in our minor league auction today and he's already been bidded on (is that a word) to the sky. Someone enlighten me about this guy because a few people have apparently heard some good things.

He has some sick "baseball" strength and some insanely quick hands with GREAT bat speed. Obviously you can see by his age, he's extremely young on top of that. He is really advanced for his age, and could see him getting some regular PT as soon as the summer of 2010 (although I have my doubts regarding that). He was regarded as the Babe Ruth of Cuba. He is a big boy though at 6'0 and 225 already, so you have to be cautious with his size here. From what I know, he doesn't have the greatest work ethic and could eat himself out of the league. We've seen that be a major factor for some, and not effect others at all really. Even with the potential he has, I'd stay away if people are bidding him up that much already. Let someone else risk it on a Cuban defector. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Cuban players and prospects.

I've been wondering about him too. In my dynasty league I've got the third pick of our free agent draft. Usually the first few picks are the Japanese guys that come over and this year Viceido. I haven't checked out which prospects are available (we're a pretty deep league so most of the big ones are probably taken) but I'm sure my choices are between him, Tazawa and the guy the Braves got (I'm at work and the name escapes me for now). Unless there's some prospect not taken I'll probably just take the whichever of the three falls to me but part of me hopes it's Viceido but realistically I'm expecting to get the Braves guy.

I've been wondering about him too. In my dynasty league I've got the third pick of our free agent draft. Usually the first few picks are the Japanese guys that come over and this year Viceido. I haven't checked out which prospects are available (we're a pretty deep league so most of the big ones are probably taken) but I'm sure my choices are between him, Tazawa and the guy the Braves got (I'm at work and the name escapes me for now). Unless there's some prospect not taken I'll probably just take the whichever of the three falls to me but part of me hopes it's Viceido but realistically I'm expecting to get the Braves guy.

As much as I'm not a fan of Cuban defectors, I'd still take this kid over any Japanese prospect not named Yu Darvish. The Braves signed Kenshin Kawakami by the way. He could be a nice SP, but he likely won't be anything better then a #3 at the absolute best, and even that's likely pushing it. Koji Uehara is the other main one that came over, and he went to the O's. I don't really see him amounting to anything, mostly because he is in the AL East. Maybe in the NL West I'd be interested, but definitely not in the AL East. Looks like they're going to try him as a SP, and that was skeptical to begin with prior to his landing spot. I'm thinking he will land in the BP after struggling and failing out of the rotation. The Red Sox signed Junichi Tazawa, and out of the 3 he'd be the one I'd like the most and keep my eye closest on, but I still go Viceido over him all day. I really don't see him being much more then a 4th SP with mediocre numbers with a K per IP.

As much as I'm not a fan of Cuban defectors, I'd still take this kid over any Japanese prospect not named Yu Darvish. The Braves signed Kenshin Kawakami by the way. He could be a nice SP, but he likely won't be anything better then a #3 at the absolute best, and even that's likely pushing it. Koji Uehara is the other main one that came over, and he went to the O's. I don't really see him amounting to anything, mostly because he is in the AL East. Maybe in the NL West I'd be interested, but definitely not in the AL East. Looks like they're going to try him as a SP, and that was skeptical to begin with prior to his landing spot. I'm thinking he will land in the BP after struggling and failing out of the rotation. The Red Sox signed Junichi Tazawa, and out of the 3 he'd be the one I'd like the most and keep my eye closest on, but I still go Viceido over him all day. I really don't see him being much more then a 4th SP with mediocre numbers with a K per IP.

Thanks for the Kawakami name and the thoughts. Like I said at work and can't really go rooting around the get it. I'm hoping Viceido falls to me but I doubt it. I figure him and Tazawa will go top 2. Like I said most of the top prospects are usually gone in our league (18 teams, 42 man rosters) but I haven't sat down and taken a look to see who might be available. If I have to take Kawakami I'm not going to complain. I've already lost a couple of starters for the year and I figure he'd slide in nicely as a #4 guy for me (behind Wainwright, Josh Johnson and Slowey). But if there's a good prospect out there I'd probably lean that way.

Thanks for the Kawakami name and the thoughts. Like I said at work and can't really go rooting around the get it. I'm hoping Viceido falls to me but I doubt it. I figure him and Tazawa will go top 2. Like I said most of the top prospects are usually gone in our league (18 teams, 42 man rosters) but I haven't sat down and taken a look to see who might be available. If I have to take Kawakami I'm not going to complain. I've already lost a couple of starters for the year and I figure he'd slide in nicely as a #4 guy for me (behind Wainwright, Josh Johnson and Slowey). But if there's a good prospect out there I'd probably lean that way.

I would take Kawakami if you have a team that is competing now. If you're in rebuild mode, I don't think I'd bother unless you could trade him off to a contender that would offer up a better prospect that could be drafted. I would be worried about Wainwright and Johnson though, they aren't exactly the definition of good health.

The perfect world scouting on him is 35-40 HR power with good BA. Think of him similar to a Travis Snider type player in terms of perfect world scouting. However, he's nowhere near as polished as Snider, so the risk is a lot greater. I read that he might get a shot to compete with Fields for the 3B job out of ST, but most likely he'll spend a year in the minors. Defense might be a problem, not the most agile guy, so he could end up at 1B- thus reduce his fantasy value- as soon as Thome leaves or retires. The worst case scenario is that he obviously fizzles out like other Cuban hitters like Morales.

He's a risk pick, that could have huge dividends, or not help you at all in 2 years. From where you are picking, he makes sense because none of the big name prospects are available, so its probably worth it to take a shot at him because the reward might be worth the risk. The other pitchers are less risky, but they don't provide anywhere near as good a reward.

I would take Kawakami if you have a team that is competing now. If you're in rebuild mode, I don't think I'd bother unless you could trade him off to a contender that would offer up a better prospect that could be drafted. I would be worried about Wainwright and Johnson though, they aren't exactly the definition of good health.

That's my biggest problem is the state of my team. I took it over and it was pretty bad and my first year or so I didn't do so good managing the roster. I'm heading into year 4 with the team and while it's better I'm definitely not close to competing. However I'm sick of being in the bottom and hoping to make a jump to middle of the pack this year. It'll definitely come down to what other prospects are out there. I figure I'll start doing research on that in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for the thoughts all.

CBSportsline is reporting that there is a chance Viciedo could actually make the team out of Spring Training now, which would be pretty surprising.

As most speculated, Viciedo got sent down. Clearly going to get a shot to be the 3B of the future, but for now more development time required. Not surprising as others mentioned, given the lack of experience even at Cuban leagues and international play.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but i'm glad he got sent down as i'm a Josh Fields owner.

Hopefully Josh Fields can do a decent job fielding so he can produce 30+ homers!

Since I was in on this topic earlier with my dynasty league's free agent draft, Viciedo went first overall. I was able to trade my pick (third) for Daryl Jones, OF, STL, Joe Savery, P, PHI and a 2nd round rookie pick this year. Pretty good haul I think.

Won't be seeing Dayan anytime soon. Right now he has 25 Ks and 2 BBs in AA. Not sure what ratio that is, but it's bad.

Won't be seeing Dayan anytime soon. Right now he has 25 Ks and 2 BBs in AA. Not sure what ratio that is, but it's bad.

He is struggling right now. .228/.236/.347 with now 27Ks in 101 ABs. The only reason I think they aren't going to send him down a level is because he has 3 HRs in his last 10 games. But he also has 12 Ks and 0 BBs over his last 41 ABs in that 10 game stretch. He was 2 for 5 yesterday with a SB and no Ks. He is starting to find his stroke. Keep an eye on him.

Starting to pick it up, batting .417 in his last 10 games, it'd be nice to see him hit a few out though. Still only 4 walks in 147 ABs. Fields is starting to struggle big time, this would be a perfect time for Dayan to show his potential.