Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cadnams

Dayan Viciedo OF CHW

Man, I cannot watch this Sox situation anymore. How can any sane person say they do not need Viciedo right now. After what he showed last year, and what he is doing now, how can they keep Morel around?

Man, I cannot watch this Sox situation anymore. How can any sane person say they do not need Viciedo right now. After what he showed last year, and what he is doing now, how can they keep Morel around?

hes not s 3B anymore

how is he gonna play 1B? Seems like we are gonna be waiting for Pierre to be DFAed or something

He clearly wouldn't play 1B every day. But he will defiantly get some starts there to spell Konerko / Dunn as well as he will play in the OF. As most of his minor league games have actually been in RF. Just don't expect him to be seeing much time (if any) at 3B though, which is what he was signed as, a 3B.

Dayan is crushing in May. Over 85 May ABs he's hitting 1.124!

The best thing about him so far is that he's correcting his strikeout issues, reducing it from 21% last year in AAA to 17%, and doubling his BB% from 3% to 6% this year. And those rates have gotten better in May (8% BB rate, and 14% K rate) which is also great to see. Also doing this in a neutral park, so not like his home park is inflating his numbers either.

However I doubt he plays 3B, since they seem to love Morel's defense (and viciedo was horrible there for the short time he played in the majors) unless Morel gets hurt and they plug Viciedo in there for a few games and gains eligibility in leagues.

Just had to show my boy some love. As Mouse and Lawrie get all the hype and I truly feel Dayan (in terms of talent) is a big step ahead of Mouse and right there with Lawrie.

Just had to show my boy some love. As Mouse and Lawrie get all the hype and I truly feel Dayan (in terms of talent) is a big step ahead of Mouse and right there with Lawrie.

But you do realize he's been moved to the OF (in RF) since the year began, right? Believe me, if the Pale Hose thought he could stick at 3B, he would have made it up already, given how badly Morel/Teahen have struggled there.

As a bad D 3B - still a huge value. As an OF (which you have to believe the Sox see him at) - it clearly downgrades him value-wise. It's not really a good comp to Lawrie or Moose, since both are still there for now.

EDIT: I see title still said 3B from last year - fixed.

But you do realize he's been moved to the OF (in RF) since the year began, right? Believe me, if the Pale Hose thought he could stick at 3B, he would have made it up already, given how badly Morel/Teahen have struggled there.

As a bad D 3B - still a huge value. As an OF (which you have to believe the Sox see him at) - it clearly downgrades him value-wise. It's not really a good comp to Lawrie or Moose, since both are still there for now.

If he gets the call soon, he still has his 3B eligibility in Yahoo leagues, so he could still have some value there (at least for the rest of this season). I just wish he was a better defender, because I really need a future 3B in my dynasty with Bautista being a full time RF'er B)

Oh yeah I know all about the move. I just keep forgetting about it cause he does have 3B eligibility right now and I have a bet that goes back from last year with one of my good buddies about how Dayan is better than Mouse now and will have a better career lol.

I get that his D is really bad, but didn't Braun play 3B when he was called up? Wasn't his D fairly atrocious too? Obviously, they moved him to the OF (not sure if it was the same year). No chance they can just take the hit at defense for a spark in the lineup?

I get that his D is really bad, but didn't Braun play 3B when he was called up? Wasn't his D fairly atrocious too? Obviously, they moved him to the OF (not sure if it was the same year). No chance they can just take the hit at defense for a spark in the lineup?

What? The combo of Morel and Vizquel doesn't scare you?

Braun did come up as a 3B and became an OF the following season.

Braun was still butchering 3B on a daily basis when they called him up. Viciedo was converted to RF from Opening Day here. That ship looks it sailed a while ago. Given how much he struggled in his first go-around the MLB, no way they call him up AND let him re-learn 3B - recipe for disaster.

If the Sox were serious about 3B, he'd be playing there right now. Can't say it looks like a remote possibility as long as he's playing RF each day (if you want a sign, look to see if they start him back at 3B - until then, sure looks like OF is his path).

Braun was still butchering 3B on a daily basis when they called him up. Viciedo was converted to RF from Opening Day here. That ship looks it sailed a while ago. Given how much he struggled in his first go-around the MLB, no way they call him up AND let him re-learn 3B - recipe for disaster.

If the Sox were serious about 3B, he'd be playing there right now. Can't say it looks like a remote possibility as long as he's playing RF each day (if you want a sign, look to see if they start him back at 3B - until then, sure looks like OF is his path).

Right, completely forgot that I read in here that he was moved from 3B before the season. Makes sense.

If you don't mind, could you give a condensed recap of what he is capable of?

Right, completely forgot that I read in here that he was moved from 3B before the season. Makes sense.

If you don't mind, could you give a condensed recap of what he is capable of?

Disclaimer - I have NOT seen him this year. I can only speak to his skills from last year (I don't usually post on guys I don't see, but the whole position issue had to be addressed).

Last year, guy had incredible power - and a swing that got a little too long, and huge pitch recognition issues. The lower K rate suggests this is better - but I haven't seen if it's a mirage, or real skills progression.

Because he's now an OF, his FBB ceiling has to go down - so it's even more important he not be a high-K, power guy alone - those are still really valuable at 3B - OF, not nearly as much. I leave it to others who've seen him to support/argue against a skills progression.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams indicated Monday that Dayan Viciedo could soon be called up from the minors.

"It would be awfully interesting to have him in this lineup," said Williams. "He's ready. He's obviously got some things he still needs to work on, but I would have no qualms about bringing him here. I'm not going to bring him here to sit. [White Sox manager] Ozzie [Guillen] is not ready to change the mix he has right now, and that has to be respected." Viciedo is hitting .313 with 10 homers and an .877 OPS over his first 61 games with Triple-A Charlotte this season. It's not clear when he'll get the call from the minors, but Juan Pierre figures to lose some playing time once he does.

so his ETA hasnt changed much; I always assumed he would come up if one of Q, Rios, or Pierre got hurt; or if Pierre was really bad (not sure who would lead off)

Not in the Lineup tonight, is there a possibility?

I was thinking the same thing when I went to see how he did tonight...

The problem with him is how often they will play him. They want him in the OF. Surprising if you look at the White Sox 3B situation. Not as shocking if you have ever seen Viciedo handle the hot corner. Think Encarnacion type bad.

Pierre has been picking it up with the bat. His D is brutal., but he's also the only guy that can truly lead off on that team.

Lillibridge should play a lot. He's been hitting decent, and his D is amazing. One of the best in the AL.

Rios has been garbage, but there's a lot of money there.

Quentin has been a beast.

Dunn handles the DH. When he mans 1st, they need Konerko's bat, so he DH's.

I could see him getting a start or 2 a week, and some pinch hitting duties late in games, but nothing to garner consistent playing time, or to get overly excited about in fantasy.

Keep in mind too, he doesn't have a great eye. Great power, but will K alot, and have a lower average. 240-270 range.

The problem with him is how often they will play him. They want him in the OF. Surprising if you look at the White Sox 3B situation. Not as shocking if you have ever seen Viciedo handle the hot corner. Think Encarnacion type bad.

Pierre has been picking it up with the bat. His D is brutal., but he's also the only guy that can truly lead off on that team.

Lillibridge should play a lot. He's been hitting decent, and his D is amazing. One of the best in the AL.

Rios has been garbage, but there's a lot of money there.

Quentin has been a beast.

Dunn handles the DH. When he mans 1st, they need Konerko's bat, so he DH's.

I could see him getting a start or 2 a week, and some pinch hitting duties late in games, but nothing to garner consistent playing time, or to get overly excited about in fantasy.

Keep in mind too, he doesn't have a great eye. Great power, but will K alot, and have a lower average. 240-270 range.

they have already said multiple times he wont come up unless he is playing everyday (and in RF). Pierre is his roadblock. Konerko/Dunn/Q are locked into the lineup. Like you said, because of Rio's contract he will mainly play CF aswell.

How he will perform? Who knows. His K to BB ratio isnt that bad. It was awful last year, sure. I mean he already has more BBs this year than he did all of last year I believe. In fact his ratio is basically the same top prospects recently recalled like Lawrie and Moustakas.

He also did hit .308 in 104 ABs in the majors and is hitting around .320 in AAA this year. he hit .274 in AAA last year and .280 the year in AA in his first season so I think your .240-.270 is rather low (although Im sure he will go thru his slumps).

they have already said multiple times he wont come up unless he is playing everyday (and in RF). Pierre is his roadblock. Konerko/Dunn/Q are locked into the lineup. Like you said, because of Rio's contract he will mainly play CF aswell.

How he will perform? Who knows. His K to BB ratio isnt that bad. It was awful last year, sure. I mean he already has more BBs this year than he did all of last year I believe. In fact his ratio is basically the same top prospects recently recalled like Lawrie and Moustakas.

He also did hit .308 in 104 ABs in the majors and is hitting around .320 in AAA this year. he hit .274 in AAA last year and .280 the year in AA in his first season so I think your .240-.270 is rather low (although Im sure he will go thru his slumps).

Like many island native players, their bats heat up with the weather.

As a die hard Sox fan, I just wanted to give you guys the heads up here. As this team continues to disappoint, and Dayan continues to torture AAA pitching... he is going to be called up VERY soon. There were rumbling of it a few days ago, when Kenny Williams said, "it won't be much longer." Sox have lost 2 in a row, and Dayan is 3 for 3 so far tonight with his 11th HR and 2 doubles... This guy really is a beast having seen him last year, and had it not been for a spring training injury, possibly could have started the season with the Sox. I would grab him in just about any league where you need a 3B, or some pop... IMO it should be just about any day now before he is up... and with it getting hot at the Cell, it could be a very fun ride