Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

N.O. Boston 33

Tyler Skaggs SP ARI

169 posts in this topic

anyone have some good info on him from this year? I have read his scouting reports from pre 2011 but this year his k/9 has really jumped up and I was wondering if anyone had any insight. Thanks

1 person likes this

He's in the Arizona organization, not Anaheim.

And I wish people would stop making threads about guys I have on my short list of possible players to draft this offseason B)

He's in the Arizona organization, not Anaheim.

And I wish people would stop making threads about guys I have on my short list of possible players to draft this offseason B)

Someone must have edited that cause I only used his name as the title, he was part of the Dan Haren deal. Either way I would like to get some info reguarding his volocity from this year. Least year he was 90-92 from waht I understand but I am wondering if he has uped that a bit this year. His k rate has really jumped so far this year.

Oh, no that's right. MILB.com has it listed wrong on their site. They say he's part of the Arizona organization, but then list that he was drafted by LAA.

My bad. An intriguing prospect no matter what ;-)

Oh, no that's right. MILB.com has it listed wrong on their site. They say he's part of the Arizona organization, but then list that he was drafted by LAA.

My bad. An intriguing prospect no matter what ;-)

Angels traded him to D Backs

Still no one with a current year update on the guy? hes top 20 on most up to date prospect sheets now.

Current year stats for Class A advanced: 17 GS, 3.22 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 100.2 IP, 34 BB and 125 K's.

Over his last 10 games (61.2 IP) he's sported a 3.06 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 16 BB and 72 K's.

Pretty dominating stuff so far.

He's a projectable lefty. His curve is already plus, and his fastball has gotten a tick faster this year apparently. It's in the 90-93 range right now. Best case scenario is he can be a #2 starter

He's a projectable lefty. His curve is already plus, and his fastball has gotten a tick faster this year apparently. It's in the 90-93 range right now. Best case scenario is he can be a #2 starter

I am not saying your wrong but other projections for him I have seen is that they expect him to be a high upside ace. Assuming your correct that his fb is only 90-93 then I would agree that it may be hard to meet those expectations. I think hes still only 21 and his numbers have shown a lot of improvement so far this year.

Think about AZ's staff in a few years, could be nasty if they all pan out.

I see him as a number 2/3. He was getting a Barry Zito like comparison out of HS so he's got talent but his fastball isn't that great which I think can ultimately hurt his chances of ever being an ace.

Still no one with a current year update on the guy? hes top 20 on most up to date prospect sheets now.

Other than Baseball america, I haven't been able to find updated prospect sheets. Would you mind listing some updated sites with prospect sheets? Thanks so much

I see him as a number 2/3. He was getting a Barry Zito like comparison out of HS so he's got talent but his fastball isn't that great which I think can ultimately hurt his chances of ever being an ace.

Agreed. I haven't read anything about him being a true ace, although he is young and as I said projectable so there's a chance he continues to add some velocity to his FB. Right now he only has 1 plus pitch and that is the curve.

Other than Baseball america, I haven't been able to find updated prospect sheets. Would you mind listing some updated sites with prospect sheets? Thanks so much

+1

I traded for him last week but before doing so i looked around and found a lotta positive things about him. Ill see if I can find those up to date ranks again and post links.

I'll admit that I haven't seen him pitch, but the fact that his fastball is in the 90-93 range doesn't bother me that much. There are plenty of great SP's in the league that fall into this range. I'd say the more important factor is his ability to locate pitches and whether or not there's good movement on his fastball.

Skaggs may be ahead of Bauer in the rotation pecking order right now. Both are potential aces but it seems like everyone is overlooking Skaggs right now. Wouldnt be surprised if he makes it to the bigs before Bauer. The first couple of minor league months will be a competition between the two to eventually take Collmenter's 5th starter spot.

Skaggs may be ahead of Bauer in the rotation pecking order right now. Both are potential aces but it seems like everyone is overlooking Skaggs right now. Wouldnt be surprised if he makes it to the bigs before Bauer. The first couple of minor league months will be a competition between the two to eventually take Collmenter's 5th starter spot.

Says who? His results this spring have looked awful compared to Bauer. Somewhat surprising, since he did dominate the minors last year. I haven't seen him pitch this spring, so I'd be interested if you know more.

Says who? His results this spring have looked awful compared to Bauer. Somewhat surprising, since he did dominate the minors last year. I haven't seen him pitch this spring, so I'd be interested if you know more.

let me rephrase. Bauer is not clearly ahead of Skaggs like everyone seems to think. If Skaggs pitches better over the first month or two than he will get a call up over Bauer.

6ip, 5 h, 1er, 0bb, 7k. Good start.

If an injury happens at the big league level it will come down to who can pitch on the needed day. Although i think Bauer is more advanced.

8 more Ks with 2 BBs in his last start. He's had elite K/BB numbers at every stop of the minors so far, and this season is no exception.

Anyone have any good comps for him on the Major League level? I'm trying to think of control artist lefties. Cliff Lee comes to mind if everything breaks right as his ceiling.

If an injury happens at the big league level it will come down to who can pitch on the needed day. Although i think Bauer is more advanced.

I'm not sure on that - given how many people Bauer is walking Skaggs might be ahead of him.

I am betting that skaggs gets the first shot. He has more minor league experience, has better control, and has been with the organization longer. If I were management I would want a little more time to try to get a feel for what I have in Bauer (especially considering his eccentricities) before promoting him up to the big show. I don't believe there is a whole lot of difference in the two production wise when it is all said and done. I Think both have the chance to be top of the order starters.

I like Skaggs' long-term future as a potential ace - but before people continue the debate about Skaggs vs. Corbin vs. Bauer on the next spot - keep in mind the fact that only Bauer is on the 40-man roster - most teams have full 40-man rosters, and so would have to cut someone from their 40-man roster through waivers to bypass Bauer with Skaggs/Corbin. Now, if a team put someone on the 60-day DL, that creates space too, but right now there isn't anyone who fits the bill. So, normally, you're looking at having to cut someone off your organization to bypass Bauer.

Now, in ARI's case, they only have 37 guys on the roster - so they could add either Corbin or Skaggs to the 40-man roster without having to waive anyone. The fact they haven't, however - that suggests quite strongly they don't want to do it yet (because once they do it, they start the "options" <ability to call up a player and send them back down without having to use waivers> clock).

It doesn't guarantee Bauer will get the nod - but it gives him a HUGE advantage so long as he's the only one on the 40-man roster. Since the Snakes have the room, it would seem a no-brainer to add either Corbin or Skaggs to the 40-man roster without having to waive anyone (since the Snakes have 37 guys on the 40-man roster). But, even with 3 empty spots, the Snakes haven't added either Corbin or Skaggs - which makes you have to think the Snakes see Bauer as Plan A, at least for the time being. It's not even a question of who is more ready - it's just the business of baseball taking over - ARI having open spots but not adding Skaggs or Corbin suggests they want to save the option years for both guys <which only starts once they are on the 40-man roster>) - which really seems to suggest Bauer is Plan A so far).

http://arizona.diamo...an.jsp?c_id=ari (updated 40-man roster for confirmation).

And in the interests of full disclosure, I'm a redraft and dynasty Bauer owner. So, obviously, I'd like the above to play out. However, I think it's fair to say the fact the Snakes haven't committed to putting either Corbin or Skaggs on the 40-man roster indicates they certainly aren't committed to Skaggs/Corbin as the next plan when Collmenter fails / someone else gets hurt.

2 people like this