Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nickalero99

USA-Brazil

One of the craziest games I've ever seen. The US has a questionable foul called as a red card and subsequent penalty kick. The kick is saved and then the Goaltender is called for moving off the line and given a yellow card so Brazil gets to kick again. Brazil makes the kick. USA plays the rest of the game down a player with Brazil scoring in extra time. Brazil then basically wastes time more blatantly than I have really ever seen in a men's game. For example, a woman is carried off on a stretcher and then starts into a run about 20 yards off the field. Tying goal scored in stoppage time of the extra period on a perfect cross that was headed in. The US wins in penalty kicks. Unreal game!! Hopefully the Americans can make good on winning this to go on and win the World Cup. Feel great for Abbie Wambach at this point. She was screaming to keep her teammates heads in the game down the stretch and got the goal in what would have likely been the last World Cup game of her career had she not gotten the goal late.

Guest ciderjack6

That was a great game. Surprisingly I enjoy watching women's soccer (as opposed to WNBA, women's ice hockey etc.).

That redo of the PK was ridiculous. What was the infraction for? Some people were saying it was because Solo moved off her line before the ball was struck. Other people were saying it was due to encroachment from a US player moving into the box before the kick. Either way it was a stunning to see a call like that made. I'm sure we'll hear more about it in the next couple days.

That was a great game. Surprisingly I enjoy watching women's soccer (as opposed to WNBA, women's ice hockey etc.).

That redo of the PK was ridiculous. What was the infraction for? Some people were saying it was because Solo moved off her line before the ball was struck. Other people were saying it was due to encroachment from a US player moving into the box before the kick. Either way it was a stunning to see a call like that made. I'm sure we'll hear more about it in the next couple days.

Everything Solo did looked exactly like what she did in the PK's at the end to me. Not sure what happened, but definitely as far as what was apparent to the announcers and myself, it was a senseless call.

Saw just a minute ago that it was encroachment on one of the defenders that caused this. Makes it an even ballsier call. Correct call, but quite ballsy. I could tell the way Wambach was able to work her on time added that she didn't want to be the story here. Thankfully for her she won't be.

Go on and win the Cup US!! Unfortunately very few Americans will be able to watch next round being at 11:30 on a Wednesday. I think a rematch with Sweden looks inevitable, but Japan took out Germany so who's to say they can't take out Sweden as well.

It was a phenomenal game, and hopefully, a lot of people either saw it live or will catch a replay....this was an instant classic, so I can't imagine it won't be repeatedly.

I saw this mentioned elsewhere, and had to bring it up here....Megan Rapinoe's cross was one of best passes I've ever seen, 40 yards through the air off her wrong foot (she's a natural righty), right on the back post and in perfect position for Wambach to pound in...and if that wasn't enough, the Pride of Philadelphia Independence knocked in one of the PK's!

Special thanks to Erika for her display of poor sportsmanship and living up to the weak stereotype of the flopping soccer player. I hope everyone remembers that that DOES get carded....LOL.

I've never seen a re-take of a PK for encroachment, especially not at that level. Ever. That would be like calling a lane violation on a pivotal free throw late in a big playoff game. I don't know if it was the linesman or the referee that made the call, but you don't make a call like that, even if it's techincally accurate. Boxx's encroachment had zero impact on Marta's kick, but the official decided to make an impact of their own.

Truly a great game, and good luck to the Women on Wednesday!

It was a phenomenal game, and hopefully, a lot of people either saw it live or will catch a replay....this was an instant classic, so I can't imagine it won't be repeatedly.

I saw this mentioned elsewhere, and had to bring it up here....Megan Rapinoe's cross was one of best passes I've ever seen, 40 yards through the air off her wrong foot (she's a natural righty), right on the back post and in perfect position for Wambach to pound in...and if that wasn't enough, the Pride of Philadelphia Independence knocked in one of the PK's!

Special thanks to Erika for her display of poor sportsmanship and living up to the weak stereotype of the flopping soccer player. I hope everyone remembers that that DOES get carded....LOL.

I've never seen a re-take of a PK for encroachment, especially not at that level. Ever. That would be like calling a lane violation on a pivotal free throw late in a big playoff game. I don't know if it was the linesman or the referee that made the call, but you don't make a call like that, even if it's techincally accurate. Boxx's encroachment had zero impact on Marta's kick, but the official decided to make an impact of their own.

Truly a great game, and good luck to the Women on Wednesday!

In my haste to write the summary for those who did not see the game, I totally missed the fact that the pass from Rapinoe would have been highlight material in the men's world cup. Rapinoe and Wambach clearly drove the team in extra time and it was fitting the way it ended up. WONDERFUL pass there. A touch of luck but to get that pass in a spot where a header scores a goal and still passes the defense was one of the best touches in soccer history in my opinion (granted I only really watch international competitions).

Why wasn't Erika given a red card? If Buechler was eliminated for committing a foul on what could have been a goal opportunity, then why wouldn't a clear fake of an injury to waste time also be as game altering? She went down AFTER the play had clearly gone through and miraculously recovered after they took the time to get the stretcher out there. This leads me to one of my biggest complaints about soccer: Why isn't there a feed into the referees stopwatch where we just stop time when we have "stoppage"? I hate seeing integers for stoppage time and not having a clue when the game is actually going to end. To me it takes away from the potential drama where we know there is 20 seconds left in the game and all of the players do as well. Instead we are all estimating. While I'm a casual fan who only watches major competitions, I think it annoys even the announcers who are regular watchers of the game.

This game was a prime example of why I should watch more soccer. I've actually been watching a lot in the World Cups. The men's led me to literally jump up and down on the bed when the US scored a goal that allowed them to qualify for the single-elimination round. The loss to Ghana was disappointing, but still had me excited throughout. The Japan-Germany game a few days ago was also a classic. The Japanese looked outclassed for most of the game but executed tremendously and scored the game's only goal. Unfortunately I have things to do Wednesday and will not be able to see the entire match against France. Hopefully the US can ice it before I leave so I don't have to miss a great sports moment like I saw on Sunday. Give the women credit, they aren't as athletic, but they can surely provide the same amount of entertainment.

In my haste to write the summary for those who did not see the game, I totally missed the fact that the pass from Rapinoe would have been highlight material in the men's world cup. Rapinoe and Wambach clearly drove the team in extra time and it was fitting the way it ended up. WONDERFUL pass there. A touch of luck but to get that pass in a spot where a header scores a goal and still passes the defense was one of the best touches in soccer history in my opinion (granted I only really watch international competitions).

Why wasn't Erika given a red card? If Buechler was eliminated for committing a foul on what could have been a goal opportunity, then why wouldn't a clear fake of an injury to waste time also be as game altering? She went down AFTER the play had clearly gone through and miraculously recovered after they took the time to get the stretcher out there. This leads me to one of my biggest complaints about soccer: Why isn't there a feed into the referees stopwatch where we just stop time when we have "stoppage"? I hate seeing integers for stoppage time and not having a clue when the game is actually going to end. To me it takes away from the potential drama where we know there is 20 seconds left in the game and all of the players do as well. Instead we are all estimating. While I'm a casual fan who only watches major competitions, I think it annoys even the announcers who are regular watchers of the game.

I've seen many players get carded for time wasting, but I've never seen anyone get a straight red. Obviously, a second flop by her would have resulted in double yellow/red and expulsion, but that's beside the point.

The vagueness of when added time truly ends is something that always mystified people. At Union matches, they don't even keep the clock running past 90 (unlike on TV), so there are many of us using our phone stopwatches to try and figure out when the half/match should end.

It's alternately annoying when your team is up and the game should be over, but perfectly acceptable if we're down, on the ball and the ref is too preoccupied to check his watch B)

This game was a prime example of why I should watch more soccer. I've actually been watching a lot in the World Cups. The men's led me to literally jump up and down on the bed when the US scored a goal that allowed them to qualify for the single-elimination round. The loss to Ghana was disappointing, but still had me excited throughout. The Japan-Germany game a few days ago was also a classic. The Japanese looked outclassed for most of the game but executed tremendously and scored the game's only goal. Unfortunately I have things to do Wednesday and will not be able to see the entire match against France. Hopefully the US can ice it before I leave so I don't have to miss a great sports moment like I saw on Sunday. Give the women credit, they aren't as athletic, but they can surely provide the same amount of entertainment.

I won't be able to see any of tomorrow's game, which is disappointing, given the momentum they're carrying in, but I'll be with them in spirit. It's kinda weird watching the Women as compared to the Men, as the US is almost always the favorite, so the tension I feel watching the match is very different.

Of course, that doesn't really compare to being on hand for something like Union/Red Bulls, when a few hundred New Jers- I mean, New York fans try to "take over" our park. Soccer, like football, is good on TV, but way better in person.

And the NJPC fans still haven't seen their team win in Philly yet :)