Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markdash

The Rules are Simple!

- If you want to participate, just reply to this thread with the player you think should be ranked next on the draft list

- Rank the nba players based on a Single-Season, Traditional 9-catagory Fantasy League (either H2H or Roto)

- Each player needs 5 votes to be ranked (1-36), 4 votes to be ranked (37-84), and 3 votes to be ranked (84+)

- If you are the final deciding voter for a particular player, it's your duty to start the next thread, name it "#2" or "#18" or whichever # the NEXT pick is. in the body of the thread, copy/paste these directions along with an updated rankings list!

- You can vote ON BEHALF of others! Just cite a previous thread where any member voted for a player, and you can carry over thier vote to make the process faster! (please be specific when doing this). This also means you should be careful who you vote for, any of your votes can be quoted and used against you later!

1. Shawn Marion

2. Kobe Bryant

3. Kevin Garnett

4. LeBron James

5. Gilbert Arenas

6. Dirk Nowitzki

7. Steve Nash

8. Amare Stoudemire

9. Yao Ming

10. Dwyane Wade

11. Pau Gasol

12. Tim Duncan

13. Jason Kidd

14. -----------

I'm going to go a bit off the wall here and vote for Marcus Camby.

Current Standings as of 8/28/07, 11:51 am PDT:

Chris Paul - 4 (KingGonzo, somac, duluoz13, elemenohpee)

Josh Smith - 3 (rotoking07, acton_00, nickyd82)

Marcus Camby - 2 (markdash, cesquinho)

Allen Iverson - 1 (7331T)

Paul Pierce - 1 (RedSoxFanForLife)

Rashard Lewis - 1 (teamshameless)

Andre Iguodala - 1 (Yaz)

Deron Williams - 1 (MustacheToes)

Who has not voted yet (PMs sent 8/28/07 11:28 am)

SwisherHouse, rando, MonsterZero, KG4MVP

Markdash, it'll probably be easier to put the posters next to the player they voted for. That way, as time goes on, we won't have to search through threads to figure it out. This looks like the time when things are definitely going to get a little more crazy. This one may take a while to close.

My pick, Josh Smith. I'm going to be the first to throw out his name. His percentages aren't good, especially in roto. His numbers were up last year, and he's only 21 which is scary. Hopefully he's working on that shot this offseason.

Wow!

You guys really got it going for a while, nice!

Thanks to rotoking07 and markdash, who has made possible for all of us to move forward a few spots in a very short time.

I have to agree with markdash and go to Marcus Camby at this point.

He was 11th in basketballmonster.com and 10th in my own rater in averages last year, while playing 70 games, which put him 14th in basketballmonster.com and 11th in my rater based on cumulative statistics.

Plus, he's a C, which adds some value to me, especially if at this point you missed on Amare, Yao, Gasol and Duncan. Just pick him up and hope his health holds up. Another interesting stat is that since he signed his last contract, that includes some big games played incentives, he's played 66, 56 and 70 games, which compares positively to his 53 games played average through his first 8 seasons. If he plays around 65 games, then he's a good pick here to me.

Mmmh ... i almost voted for Josh Smith myself.

Already a monster in blocks, he's gotten better every year and will be in contract year this season.

I've read he's been working hard this offseason, which would be understandable to me since he's in a very important year. He finished 13th in my rater based on averages, but it probably values categories like blocks, steals or threes more than other raters, since basketballmonster had him going 25th.

Good pick, too. I will probably vote him after this one, if he's not selected by then.

Markdash, it'll probably be easier to put the posters next to the player they voted for. That way, as time goes on, we won't have to search through threads to figure it out. This looks like the time when things are definitely going to get a little more crazy. This one may take a while to close.

Done and done.

I agree. Thanks Mark. Sorry I can't check in too much right now but I am traveling from my current home (new zealand) to my old home (san francisco) so my internet access is a little spotty.

As much as I love Camby, there is no way I am letting one healthy season put him this high. Plus if you look at his numbers last season when everyone was playing on Denver his scoring goes WAY down. He could seriously finish the season at under 12ppg. (like 10ppg)

I am very tempted to go for Rashard lewis here. He is healthy and could put up some pretty big numbers.

Josh Smith and Pierce are seriously overvalued here. CP3 might also be, but at least he is the best player on his team.

Here we go. I hate all these choices and I think I am going to for the next 1.5 rounds.

Rashard Lewis, but I will change to CP3 if it is a tie breaker.

I was liking Shard for this pick, but I gotta slide it to the PG side again.

AI, the value is just too great for this pick, and should be the 14th, no problem. Honeymoon for Denver is over, its time to get serious, and AI with his age knows it.

There are a lot of guys whose value (on per game basis) is worthy a selection here:

Camby, McGrady, Baron Davis, Carlos Boozer, Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh & Chris Paul. But they are all prone to get injured, and I, for one, would get a safer pick. If it wasn't for his age I'd go with Vince Carter.

I choose Andre Igoudola.

I think Shard may go back to tanking at the end of every year if Orlando isnt in it (last year: didn't happen due to contract, and needing to perform cause he was out so long)

I actually think Pierce could be better this year, IMO, his FG% and dimes may go up, while only his PTS should drop. But it's still risky with the changes in Boston this summer.

so...

I think he's worth more in H2H, which is the only thing I play, so I might be kinda biased here, but if it were me, I'd take

JOSH SMITH

I'm gonna go with Chris Paul. His upside is tremendous now, and he's only going to keep getting better.

I'd like to change my vote from AI to Deron Williams.

I'll go ahead and edit your post and do it myself though.

Looks like it will take us a while to get someone to 5 votes this time.

By the way, AI is down to one vote, markdash ... you got the voters names right, but still showing a "2" as the number of votes.

This one may definately take awhile. If we can keep it rolling though, it may end up to where once we get some votes in, we can close three or four picks in a day like we just did recently.

As far as my Smith pick, for me it was between him in Rashard Lewis. I like the idea of Lewis having an inside threat to create opportunities for him, but I think Smith and the upside he brings from still improving his game was just to exciting to pass up. Apparently, I'm not the only one, as Jonathan Gangi (Rotoworld) took him with the 11th pick in a mock draft covered by Dr. A. Of course, Dr. A backed the pick. Linked

I am really torn here, but I'm gonna go with J-Smoov. Most potential out of the current group to put up dominant numbers.

Andre Igoudala? Everything you said made sense yes until that. Seriously, he is a long way away. You'll probably get him on the back side.

People are really going crazy with Josh Smith this year. A big reason he was rated so high was because of all the injuries to players who year in and year out are top 20 picks, so his rankings are somewhat inflated relative to the performance of other players imo. Plus he plays in a crowded frontcourt that got bigger with Hortford. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome player, but with waaaay too much hype this year so far. Not that I'll mind when people start overdrafting Smith/Iggy/AlJeff, since that means more proven production will drop to me in lower picks. Anyway, I'm thinking Paul or Bosh here, but I'll go with Paul to help move things along. He could really blow up this year with a healthy roster, and challenge Nash/Arenas/Kidd for best PG.

#14: Chris Paul

I agree with everything Dulouz just said.

One more vote for CP and I'll change mine, so we are getting close.

Andre Igoudala? Everything you said made sense yes until that. Seriously, he is a long way away. You'll probably get him on the back side.

My second round consists of the following players (not in any particular order):

D Howard, Chris Bosh, CP, Carmelo, Iggy, Pierce, Boozer, AI, Josh Smith, Vince, Deng & Deron Williams.

Of that group, only Iggy, Luol Deng, D Williams, D Howard and Vince have played 80+ games last season. Since Iggy contributes in more categories than any of the above, I like him the most.

But you're probably right, most people wouldn't pick him this early.

My second round consists of the following players (not in any particular order):

D Howard, Chris Bosh, CP, Carmelo, Iggy, Pierce, Boozer, AI, Josh Smith, Vince, Deng & Deron Williams.

Of that group, only Iggy, Luol Deng, D Williams, D Howard and Vince have played 80+ games last season. Since Iggy contributes in more categories than any of the above, I like him the most.

But you're probably right, most people wouldn't pick him this early.

Howard, Carmelo, Boozer, and Deng should not even sniff the 2nd rd, Howard (unless ft% and TO's aren't cats) and Deng not even in the 3rd. Ever heard of guys named Gasol or Ray Allen? Lewis? Camby?

Howard, Carmelo, Boozer, and Deng should not even sniff the 2nd rd, Howard (unless ft% and TO's aren't cats) and Deng not even in the 3rd. Ever heard of guys named Gasol or Ray Allen? Lewis? Camby?

No, I have not... are they new in the NBA?

Oh, wait a minute - you must mean Ray Allen - the one who finished last season with surgeries on both of his ankles? & Camby, who miraculously finished last season with 70 games for only the second time in his 11 year career. And Lewis - isn't he the one who got one of the most ridiciulous contracts in NBA history? He's probably the most over rated player in the NBA.

You mentioned Gasol - he's a first rounder, isn't he?

Yes, Howards kills your FTP. But he also wins you FGP, is a monster rebounder and gives you plenty of blocks and even a steal per game.

Almost everyone projects Deng will break into stardom this season. I don't see why not to consider him a legit 2nd round pick.

No, I have not... are they new in the NBA?

Oh, wait a minute - you must mean Ray Allen - the one who finished last season with surgeries on both of his ankles? & Camby, who miraculously finished last season with 70 games for only the second time in his 11 year career. And Lewis - isn't he the one who got one of the most ridiciulous contracts in NBA history? He's probably the most over rated player in the NBA.

You mentioned Gasol - he's a first rounder, isn't he?

Yes, Howards kills your FTP. But he also wins you FGP, is a monster rebounder and gives you plenty of blocks and even a steal per game.

Almost everyone projects Deng will break into stardom this season. I don't see why not to consider him a legit 2nd round pick.

Because he doesn't pass or shoot the 3? And he doesn't grab 10 or more rebounds a game, or block more than a shot a game?

As for Howard, winning two categories (assuming he does that) does not negate the fact that he is an absolute anchor in FG% and TO. He's getting to be in Shaq territory, where you draft him late enough that you can compensate for his shortcomings with other, earlier-drafted players.