Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

DJ-3K Home Run Ball

Sell or Return DJ-3K's Home Run Ball?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What would you have done w/ Jeter's 3,000th hit home run ball?

• Return the ball to Derek Jeter & the Yankees.
    • Auction the ball off to the highest bidder.
    • Return the ball in exchange for Minka Kelly.
    • Other (please explain).

Derek Jeter homers for his 3,000th hit & the man who caught it, Chris Lopez, simply returns it. Lopez did not want anything at all in return for the ball despite having over $100,000 of student loan debt. What would you have done?

Me? I'm a life-long Yankee fan. In fact, one of my earliest memories is watching the Yankees on TV & being spellbound by Phil Rizzuto's voice. While Don Mattingly was my favorite Yankee growing up, Derek Jeter has been my favorite of my adult life. HOWEVER, if I had caught that ball, I'd let Jeter bid on it on eBay like everybody else! My own personal 2nd option would be pay off the exact dollar amount of my debt AND one night w/ Minka Kelly.

So again, I ask what would you have done?

Derek Jeter homers for his 3,000th hit & the man who caught it, Chris Lopez, simply returns it. Lopez did not want anything at all in return for the ball despite having over $100,000 of student loan debt. What would you have done?

Me? I'm a life-long Yankee fan. In fact, one of my earliest memories is watching the Yankees on TV & being spellbound by Phil Rizzuto's voice. While Don Mattingly was my favorite Yankee growing up, Derek Jeter has been my favorite of my adult life. HOWEVER, if I had caught that ball, I'd let Jeter bid on it on eBay like everybody else! My own personal 2nd option would be pay off the exact dollar amount of my debt AND one night w/ Minka Kelly.

So again, I ask what would you have done?

Easy. Make the Yankees pay 300K (You pay Carl Pavano 52 million, you can pay anyone anything). Meet Derek Jeter. That's all.

Though I'd want to meet him because of a very embarrassing story where I essentially broke the news of A-Rod signing with the Yankees to him and asked him "What's it like to play with A-Rod" F**k me. My god damn idol and that's what I say to him when I see him in Tampa. I'll never live that down. I need to meet you Derek!!!! I'm SORRY!!!!

Guest ciderjack6

I would say I have a 300k offer from the Red Sox for the ball

That should bump it up to about 500k or so

So yea I'd sell

I'm the only vote for "Return the ball in exchange for Minka Kelly"?

I'm the only vote for "Return the ball in exchange for Minka Kelly"?

With the leftover profit from selling the ball, one could clone Minka Kelly! B)

Well, at least he has a tax liability out of it......

The IRS will likely consider Lopez's gratuities from the Yankees as income, and if so, he could end up having to pay anywhere from $5,000 to $13,000 in taxes, according to the New York Daily News. The New York Times, meanwhile, says the face value of the tickets to the remaining 32 regular-season games at Yankee Stadium are worth anywhere between $44,800 and $73,600. The paper's conservative estimate puts Lopez's tax bill at $14,000.

Sure would be nice if Derek would pick up that tax tab or pay off his 100k in student loans.....

Well, at least he has a tax liability out of it......

Sure would be nice if Derek would pick up that tax tab or pay off his 100k in student loans.....

I guess when you have over $100,000 in debt, what does another $14,000 on top of that matter! B)

Yanks players/management is probably going to step in and pay the tax part right? Maybe also pay off the student loan. Would be a generious and great PR move.

Guest ciderjack6

Meanwhile Jeter gets 500k for the fans voting him into the all-star game and he doesn't even bother to show up

gotta love it

Auction that baby up! How would exchanging it for Minka work? That ball is worth at least 300 grand, which is about 5-6 years of an average person's salary. I'm not a fan of the Yankees or Jeter so I may be a little bias B)

The team and the players don't care about you, no matter how much they say they do, so I say get every last dime you can. The Yankees in particular don't have any issue charging outrageous prices for tickets, parking, concessions, merchandise, etc......so why the hell should I give them a freebie? Out of the kindness of my heart? Screw that. The economy isn't exactly doing great right now, and things are expensive.

I love Derek Jeter as much as the next Yankees fan, but F the thought that the guy 'did the right thing'. The right thing is to take care of #1

On a side note, anyone see the Jeter 3000th hit special on HBO? Seemed weird to see Jeter curse

The team and the players don't care about you, no matter how much they say they do, so I say get every last dime you can. The Yankees in particular don't have any issue charging outrageous prices for tickets, parking, concessions, merchandise, etc......so why the hell should I give them a freebie? Out of the kindness of my heart? Screw that. The economy isn't exactly doing great right now, and things are expensive.

I love Derek Jeter as much as the next Yankees fan, but F the thought that the guy 'did the right thing'. The right thing is to take care of #1

Reminds me of my favorite quote from A Bronx Tale . . .

Young Calogero: Bill Mazeroski, I hate him. He made Mickey Mantle cry. The papers said the Mick cried.

Sonny: Mickey Mantle? That's what you're upset about? Mantle makes $100,000 a year. How much does your father make? If your dad ever can't pay the rent and needs money, go ask Mickey Mantle. See what happens. Mickey Mantle don't care about you. Why care about him?

On a side note, anyone see the Jeter 3000th hit special on HBO? Seemed weird to see Jeter curse

I enjoyed the Derek Jeter 3K HBO documentary, not that it shed much light on his personality. In reality, Jeter maintaining his privacy is great for playing in NYC, where mountains are made out of molehills on 24/7 sports radio, TV, & the papers. The best part of the show for me was the expression on Jeter's face when was watching the Yankee old timers' game on TV. It was like he was thinking, "If Bernie & Tino are old timers, what the hell am I?" What a drag it is getting old.