Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

926 posts in this topic

Remember the name.

I posted this in the sleeper prospects thread last week after I won a bid on him in my 20 team Dynasty league...

Oscar Taveras, OF, STL

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=570805

He avg is up to .395 for the year scorching a .525 avg in his last 10 games. I know some will knock him for his lack of HR, but the doubles are now coming in bunches, which leads me to believe that this 19 year old could definitely develop some power along the way.

UPDATE:

His 2B are turning into HR now. Two HR in his last 3 games. Plus another 5 RBI so far in today's matchup.

Cardinals farm system started off the year horrid, but with the rise of Shelby Miller into the top 5, Carlos Martinez emergence, Zack Cox looking good, and Tavaras now looking like a player they may have themselves a nice system ranking next year. Not to mention Kolten Wong has come out blazing and Matt Adams is looking good too.

Doing well again this year. Anyone have thoughts on him? I see the only thing he lacks is speed, but he hits for great power and average.

And at only 19 in AA....he's proving his ability. An awfully aggressive assignment for him to start the year in AA, but it's paying dividends. I wouldn't expect him in the bigs at all this year....but by this time next it is a possibility.

I read somewhere that he reminds people of Vlad...

Does that man he hits home runs on balls that bounce three feet in front of the plate?

1 person likes this

Does that man he hits home runs on balls that bounce three feet in front of the plate?

One can only hope Halo Fan

1 person likes this

Vladdy was a 5 tool stud when he came up. Taveras seems to only have 1 or 2 tools in the box, but with 7 early homers that may change.

I've been trying to find a video clip of that HR. Can't find it anywhere...

I've been trying to find a video clip of that HR. Can't find it anywhere...

I don't know if he ever actually hit one out like that, but I know he has had hits on balls that bounced like that. I remember watching him do it at least once as an Angel.

I don't know if he ever actually hit one out like that, but I know he has had hits on balls that bounced like that. I remember watching him do it at least once as an Angel.

Yeah. I thought he had done it in Toronto one time, but I can't really be sure...

1 person likes this

Just absolutely mashing in AA at 19 years old:

134 AB, 44 H, 10 2b, 3 3b, 10 HR, 32 Rbi, 3 stls, 9/18 BB/SO, .328/.375/.672

I can't find anything, but it somewhat makes you wonder... if the Cardinals are committed to this year (and obviously they're a contender) what happens if Jay's injury turns out to be more serious than originally thought? Beltran can't hold up playing CF everyday, and Taveras is playing CF almost exclusively at AA. Throw in Schumaker's injury, and all of the sudden there could be a hole in CF in St. Louis...

That'd be a crazy rise through their farm system for Taveras, though...

Taveras with another home run last night. Now at .318/.370/.588 with 12 HRs 42 RBI's and only 29k's in 211 AB.

Turns 20 yrs old in a couple weeks. Venture to say he'll be a Top 5 prospect for 2013, but isn't getting that kind of attention (or so it seems).

Yeah a handfull of pitchers will be ahead of him.

1 person likes this

Oscar Taveras vs Travis Snider when he was a prospect. Discuss.

Thus far:

279 AB, 2nd in H with 90, Tied for 1st in Doubles with 22, 3rd in HR at 15, 3rd in RBI at 51, 1st in Total Bases in 165, 4th in OBP at .377, 2nd in Slugging at .591, 1st in AVG at a steady .323 AVG, 2nd in OPS at .968

Not to mention he's one of the youngest players in AA. The power has been a surprise but OT is a borderline top 10 prospect right now.

September call up?

Not to mention he's one of the youngest players in AA. The power has been a surprise but OT is a borderline top 10 prospect right now.

September call up?

While it is entirely possible, I doubt it. With the Cards still in the hunt, I'd think they're more likely to add a veteran bat at that stage.

This year is the only year he's been above low-A ball, and I'm sure they'd love to give him some more developmental time this offseason before thrusting him into the lineup. I'm sure he'll be back in the Arizona Fall League this year, and should be in line for some playing time around this time next year.