Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Oscar Taveras - OF STL

Hard to doubt this kid after his last season.

Although STL are contenders, the game's stilll a business - so you have to believe there would have to be a Beltran injury to force Taveras into the Opening Day lineup. You only need to skip 3+ weeks to get an extra year of service time - and given Taveras' ceiling as an elite franchise player, a #3 hitter, 3 weeks of Jon Jay seems like a no-brainer.

The bigger question IMO is whether the Cards wait until mid-June or later to delay service time long enough to delay Super-2 arbitration status. Again, delaying super-2 only matters if you are a truly elite young player - but Taveras fits the bill. Those who have been around know my feelings on the subject - if you are a contender, it can be argued to delay 3+ weeks, but going for the crown now is worth the future cost, and don't wait for the Super-2 deadline to pass (but it is a future cost that can literally cost 20M+ easy, so it's not insignificant) - especially since you now have to delay service time to avoid being in the top 22 percent of players with 2+ years (but less than 3 years) of service time to avoid Super-2 (so it used to be late-May/start of June, but now it's more like mid-late June, or even July, depending on how many teams are hoarding their prospects' call-up times each year).

My bet? He stays down for April, but an injury pushes a callup after 3 weeks. If the Cards are firing on all cylinders, then the temptation to keep him down until midseason (and the Super-2 deadline passes), well, it goes up. If he's still down as of May, then it's time to start worrying that service time is rearing its ugly head.

The cards are penny pinchers when it comes to this stuff. Unless he or someone else absolutely forces their hand, they aren't going to start his arby clock.

Keep in mind that Craig can right field and Adams can come up and play 1B.

Fully expect him to be on the big league club this year though.

I may have missed him somehow, but I typed in his name during a mock draft on Yahoo and he didn't come up. Strange because every other prospect that may be relevant in 2013 was in the Yahoo player pool. What gives?

I may have missed him somehow, but I typed in his name during a mock draft on Yahoo and he didn't come up. Strange because every other prospect that may be relevant in 2013 was in the Yahoo player pool. What gives?

Looks like he's not on the Cards 40-man roster, is that Yahoo's criteria or are there others in their player pool?

Looks like he's not on the Cards 40-man roster, is that Yahoo's criteria or are there others in their player pool?

Taveres to be added to yahoo either today or tomorrow - http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/9297

Yahoo is probably messing up a lot of drafts. What about dynasty leagues that already drafted? The #1 waiver has a huge advantage now...

Yahoo is probably messing up a lot of drafts. What about dynasty leagues that already drafted? The #1 waiver has a huge advantage now...

Isn't the #1 waiver usually an advantage?

I'm talking about newly formed dynasty leagues. I'd be pretty ticked if the draft already happened and yahoo is now adding additional players. Yahoo needs to open with a set players in the pool. Additional players should only be added when prospects get called up and aren't in the database.

This is why competitive leagues need to draft in late March or this happens. I'm glad they added him for the competitive leagues that were smart not to draft so early

I'm talking about newly formed dynasty leagues. I'd be pretty ticked if the draft already happened and yahoo is now adding additional players. Yahoo needs to open with a set players in the pool. Additional players should only be added when prospects get called up and aren't in the database.

For league providers, you get what you pay for.

I thought this thread was about Taveras the player and his skill etc :wacko:

just hit a grandslam

And Beltran leaves the game with a minor injury also. I really hope Tavares comes up early this year he will contribute immediately

The kid can flat out rake. Should be up early this yr. Cardinals OF is mighty crowded but I still think he forces his way to bigs this yr. What kind of production are we looking at for Mr.Taveras? Dynasty/keeper league stud?

I could see him hitting .300 with 15-20 bombs when he comes up. Yea. He's that good.

I would be disappointed with anything less than .285 and 10 homers. Question is not if but when he'll be up this year.

Cards have needs to be addressed so i could see them moving some pieces an opening up a spot for Taveras.

DEFINITE dynasty/keeper league stud.

I could see him hitting .300 with 15-20 bombs when he comes up. Yea. He's that good.

I would be disappointed with anything less than .285 and 10 homers. Question is not if but when he'll be up this year.

Cards have needs to be addressed so i could see them moving some pieces an opening up a spot for Taveras.

DEFINITE dynasty/keeper league stud.

Pump the breaks there cat.

Still raking.

At the end of 4 he is 2/2 with a homer and double.

This guy is going to be such a good major league player. If he continues this STL will have a lot of pressure on their hands to bring him up early, but I think he should still begin the season at AAA

upside? perennial all-star .300/25/100 yearly. and i don't think those numbers are unrealistic I think the AVG numbers will be higher yearly. He's a 3-hole hitter who will spend his career as a top-2 round fantasy player.

upside? perennial all-star .300/25/100 yearly. and i don't think those numbers are unrealistic I think the AVG numbers will be higher yearly. He's a 3-hole hitter who will spend his career as a top-2 round fantasy player.

This is a good projection of him. It's not his ceiling, but it is a solid projection and I think he can obtain this in his first couple years in the show.

I love this guy, but the word is only spreading how good he is and will be. The question is when do you have to consider taking Taveras in most drafts? I mean, his stock is rising, but the question is how much? I agree with Yoda in the other thread, I'll reach for him.