Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Trevor Bauer SP CLE

Good article on Bauer on minorleaguebaseball.com. In it Bauer talks about all NINE of his pitches that he throws. I know this term gets thrown out there a lot but he really seems like a student of the game. Really excited for his future. Here is the link http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120208&content_id=26613236&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

Awesome stuff. I hope he stays away from the split at this age though.

Awesome stuff. I hope he stays away from the split at this age though.

Yeah splitterd should be, and is , for relief pitcher. Not many starters throw it

interesting guy, I get the impression that he will be a good but not great pitcher for a long time. Scouts seem split on him making it tough to gauge how good his stuff really is.

4 GO's and 2 K's in his perfect 2 innings 2day

Collmenter and Miley both got rocked yesterday after Bauer pitched well the day B4. Hello 5th spot in rotation

Love this kid potential. Any one have any insight if he will stick in the rotation?

Gibby said Colementer will be the 5th starter, so Bauer will start in the minors waiting his turn.

Gibby said Colementer will be the 5th starter, so Bauer will start in the minors waiting his turn.

Won't be too long before they realize they have very little in Collmenter and Saunders

Collmenter and Saunders have already had health issues this spring. Collmenter has had arm stiffness/pain and Saunders got nailed really hard with a comeback liner. Plus, Saunders and Collmenter both suck hard IMHO and Ive seen them pitch quite a few times. Yuck. Bauer will be getting called up more sooner than later.

Collmenter and Saunders have already had health issues this spring. Collmenter has had arm stiffness/pain and Saunders got nailed really hard with a comeback liner. Plus, Saunders and Collmenter both suck hard IMHO and Ive seen them pitch quite a few times. Yuck. Bauer will be getting called up more sooner than later.

Agreed. Collmenter's success had a lot to do with the deception in his delivery and I think he's best suited as a reliever or a spot starter/long reliever. Saunders on the other hand is a pretty horrible pitcher unless he locates his fastball perfectly. If it's too much in the zone his life and the lives of his infielders are in danger with how hard and fast it will get pounded.

Collmenter shelled again today. Diamondbacks are going to be making a big mistake going with Saunders - Collmenter at the back end.

Two magic words here: service time.

Even with the new CBA making it more difficult to delay service time to avoid Super-2 arbitration, the Snakes only need to wait until mid-April to get an extra year of service time before FA hits (that part to get the extra year didn't change in the new CBA, the Super-2 threshold is now top 22 percent instead of top 17 percent).

When you factor in that teams don't often need a 5th starter for the first couple of weeks, well, it's a clear win-win for the team - doubtful it makes an impact for 1-2 extra starts, and the extra year helps them long-term too.

The real test for the D-Backs' plans on Bauer will be what they do beyond mid-April. If they hold on to Collmenter & Saunders despite struggles, then they'd have to likely wait until late June or the AS break to delay Bauer's service clock long enough to avoid Super-2 status after 2014. While I could see the mid-late April scenario play out, waiting long enough to delay Super-2, IMO that would be hurting their 2012 chances a lot more (for the NL West, and for playoff seeding even if they were in control of the NL West). I don't think they will wait that long - but it's tough to know where organizations stand with trying to avoid Super-2 arbitration status with elite prospects, now that the new CBA rules are in effect.

Given that ARI can legitimately try & win not only a playoff spot, but a top seed, waiting long enough to get an extra year of FA by going into mid-April before a call-up makes sense given it's not a lot of missed starts - so that's what I'd look for.

Not all teams skip the 5th starter early in the season, and i would say the the D-Back would be a team that will not. Collementer has to get 3-5 starts even if he falls flat on his butt in the first 1 or 2. I see a May 1st call up time for Bauer

Collmenter lit up today, i know the Dbacks will start the season with him regardless but it won't be long until Bauer gets called up. I'd stash him

He needs to start the season in AAA. He'll get brought up around May or June when one of the 5 Sp's. Wouldn't really surprise me if Corbin or Skaggs are called up before Bauer. We're all excited about his potential, but he needs more innings against professional competition. If he starts the season in the MLB and gets hammered it would be a nightmare scenario.

He needs to start the season in AAA. He'll get brought up around May or June when one of the 5 Sp's. Wouldn't really surprise me if Corbin or Skaggs are called up before Bauer. We're all excited about his potential, but he needs more innings against professional competition. If he starts the season in the MLB and gets hammered it would be a nightmare scenario.

Its a good point, I know everyone loves Bauer and I am included in that but.......Skaggs is realy close to the bigs right now

Anyone know Bauer's GB rate?

Anyone know Bauer's GB rate?

He's a flyball strikeout pitcher.

Who cares what it is against minor league batters?

SPs lose two to three percent off their GB rate as they move up the ladder.

And being in AZ his GB rate makes a difference. People love to compare him to young Lincecum and his K and BB numbers and mechanics may be similar but Lincecum was a 50+ GB rate guy when he came up.