Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Trevor Bauer SP CLE

SPs lose two to three percent off their GB rate as they move up the ladder.

And being in AZ his GB rate makes a difference. People love to compare him to young Lincecum and his K and BB numbers and mechanics may be similar but Lincecum was a 50+ GB rate guy when he came up.

The K numbers are similar. Lincecum's K/9 at Washington was 12.9. Bauer's K/9 at UCLA was 11.1. But for Bauer's 7.9 K/9 his freshman year and Lincecum's 12.9 mark, they were just about even their last two years in college, with Lincecum still having a slight edge.

However, Bauer had much better command than Lincecum in college. Lincecum's BB/9 at Washington was 5.68. Bauer's BB/9 at UCLA was 2.51. Bauer also had 15 complete games and 4 shutouts (in 44 starts) while Lincecum had 7 complete games and 3 shutouts (in 51 starts).

I don't know what Lincecum's groundball rate was in the minors (you're saying it was above 50%, but I'd like to see a source on that), but he only pitched 62 innings and Bauer has only logged 25 innings. Definition of SSS. When Lincecum got to The Show, his groundball rate was under 50% and has remained so every season of his career.

The K numbers are similar. Lincecum's K/9 at Washington was 12.9. Bauer's K/9 at UCLA was 11.1. But for Bauer's 7.9 K/9 his freshman year and Lincecum's 12.9 mark, they were just about even their last two years in college, with Lincecum still having a slight edge.

However, Bauer had much better command than Lincecum in college. Lincecum's BB/9 at Washington was 5.68. Bauer's BB/9 at UCLA was 2.51. Bauer also had 15 complete games and 4 shutouts (in 44 starts) while Lincecum had 7 complete games and 3 shutouts (in 51 starts).

I don't know what Lincecum's groundball rate was in the minors (you're saying it was above 50%, but I'd like to see a source on that), but he only pitched 62 innings and Bauer has only logged 25 innings. Definition of SSS. When Lincecum got to The Show, his groundball rate was under 50% and has remained so every season of his career.

Lincecum's GB rate has been 49, 50, and 49 the last three years.

It was 50 for 27 MiLB innings in 2007 and 54 for 31 MiLB innings in 2008.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/card/card.php?id=51967

Lincecum's GB rate has been 49, 50, and 49 the last three years.

It was 50 for 27 MiLB innings in 2007 and 54 for 31 MiLB innings in 2008.

http://www.baseballp...rd.php?id=51967

Fangraphs has different numbers on his groundball rates. According to Fangraphs, it's been 48, 49, and 48 the last three years.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5705&position=P

50% is damm good for a strikeout pitcher would have never guessed that

The only reason this kid is getting comparisons to Lincecum is because of their funky deliveries and "progressive" attitudes towards their workouts/mechanics. I think Bauer is going to be good but I don't think it's fair to compare him or anyone else really to Tim. But unfortunately so many people have come to think this kid is going to be a clone of Lincecum they are probably all gonna complain if/when it doesn't happen.

Yeah if i had a dollar everytime i heard Alex Rodriguez like, i'd be a rich man. And he out grew SS anyways. The move to 3B was coming even if he didn't sign on with Jeter's Yanks or not

Interesting start tonight--didn't allow a hit until the 4th. His night--

5IP, 2 Hits, 3BB, 7Ks.

One of the hits was a bunt.

With the bases loaded (after a solid base hit, the bunt base hit, a wild pitch and a walk) Bauer recorded a K and a weak ground out to end it.

He left the game up 4-0 and had a sac bunt.

The only reason this kid is getting comparisons to Lincecum is because of their funky deliveries and "progressive" attitudes towards their workouts/mechanics. I think Bauer is going to be good but I don't think it's fair to compare him or anyone else really to Tim. But unfortunately so many people have come to think this kid is going to be a clone of Lincecum they are probably all gonna complain if/when it doesn't happen.

Why not the Lincecum comparisons? Similar size, similar velocity, similar mechanics, similar workout regimen. Bauer even studied and modeled some aspects of his mechanics after Lincecum.

So how much longer until Bauer gets called up? we know Collmenter is all smoke and mirrors.

A bit of cautious over him though. I've seen so not so great scouting report on him in that he may be more of a #3 type SP than an ace.

I still have him stashed away on my bench in a 16 team keeper league, but I am not counting on an Oswalt-like impact. (for those old enough to remember)

A bit of cautious over him though. I've seen so not so great scouting report on him in that he may be more of a #3 type SP than an ace.

I still have him stashed away on my bench in a 16 team keeper league, but I am not counting on an Oswalt-like impact. (for those old enough to remember)

Most of the scouting I read projects him as an ace...

Only need about 2 more weeks to get an extra year before FA...if the Snakes are just playing a service time game, well, we'll find out soon enough. But, If they REALLY think Bauer could use more time (I mean, he really has only had a cup of coffee at AA or higher), well, the Super-2 delay game could factor in as well (and yes, Skaggs is there lurking as well).

I would LOVE to see him in the bigs, only because there really hasn't been a guy like him come up in a long time, if ever - I don't see Lincecum as the right comp, because I think Lince's 4-seamer & change & curve were elite (and he then switched to an elite 2-seamer). I love Bauer and his 4-5 pitch arsenal, but he's not quite at the same elite level of stuff - but has the same long-toss, rubber-arm, and an even more cerebral approach. If anything, it's the cerebral approach, and his total dedication to the long toss, combined with his fire, that raise his entertainment value for owners.

I own him in dynasty AND redrafts, so while I'm patient in the dynasty, the redraft owners all want to see him sooner rather than later. I'd caution that much like Lincecum and every SP not named Gooden (and I guess Pineda would be a close 2nd), Bauer is more likely to have ups & downs in his rookie year (after an initial 1st run that likely is very good, as teams are unfamiliar with his repertoire/arm slot/tendencies), but as far as breaking the mould, well he will be fun to watch.

Should be kept in the minor league thread until he gets the call right? Anyway everyone in that thread and everywhere else have been counting down the days until him or Skaggs take Collmenter's place for a while now

Moving this to the minor league player thread per the qualifications listed here.

Fresh from Rotoworld.

Josh Collmenter's spring struggles carried over to the regular season Sunday, as he allowed six runs (five earned) on five hits in just three innings of Arizona's 7-6 win over the Giants.

Start the Trevor Bauer watch. Collmenter allowed three runs a piece in the second and third, and just wasn't sharp after getting rocked to the tune of a 9.95 ERA in Cactus League play. He's off-the-radar in NL-only leagues, and could soon be out of the rotation.

Lets not waste time with Corbin.

I think two more starts from Collmenter and hes gone. Its going to Bauer or Skaggs that get the call up. Skaggs has more experience in the minors and Bauer has rarely pitched. But from what everyone is seeing from Bauer, it looks like he will get the call in two weeks.

June 1st will be the latest. May 1st the soonest.

Only need about 2 more weeks to get an extra year before FA...if the Snakes are just playing a service time game, well, we'llll find out soon enough. But, If they REALLY think Bauer could use more time (I mean, he really has only had a cup of coffee at AA or higher), well, the Super-2 delay game could factor in as well (and yes, Skaggs is there lurking as well).

I would LOVE to see him in the bigs, only because there really hasn't been a guy like him come up in a long time, if ever - I don't see Lincecum as the right comp, because I think Lince's 4-seamer & change & curve were elite (and he then switched to an elite 2-seamer). I love Bauer and his 4-5 pitch arsenal, but he's not quite at the same elite level of stuff - but has the same long-toss, rubber-arm, and an even more cerebral approach. If anything, it's the cerebral approach, and his total dedication to the long toss, combined with his fire, that raise his entertainment value for owners.

I own him in dynasty AND redrafts, so while I'm patient in the dynasty, the redraft owners all want to see him sooner rather than later. I'd caution that much like Lincecum and every SP not named Gooden (and I guess Pineda would be a close 2nd), Bauer is more likely to have ups & downs in his rookie year (after an initial 1st run that likely is very good, as teams are unfamiliar with his repertoire/arm slot/tendencies), but as far as breaking the mould, well he will be fun to watch.

Can you explain how the new service time rules work? Seems like the service time rules have increased with players being eligible for arbitration at super 2 going from 17% to 22% of time served.

I do remember Ozwalt's entry into the league. Ha...

I think Bauer would be more Lincecum rookie year than Ozwalt or Prior.