Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Trevor Bauer SP CLE

Now lets focus our attention on Dan Straily, people. He's the guy to watch at this point.

so he is not joining the rotation until september, maybe? i hate to cut him and see him lead a team in the playoffs. i might just have to burn his spot.

so he is not joining the rotation until september, maybe? i hate to cut him and see him lead a team in the playoffs. i might just have to burn his spot.

He's an easy drop. No guarantee he even comes back in September. I see no reason to think he'll be more ready for MLB a month from now. And even if he does come back, I wouldn't expect him to do anything different.

It'll be interesting to see how he handles the demotion. Will he cop an attitude figuring he's worthy of a rotation spot in the majors? Or does he go down, humbly, and work on his game in the hopes he can prove he's worthy of another call up?

I think his first start post demotion will tell a tale.

what are people in dynasty/keepers doing with him? ( hope the question doesn't breech bench coach territory), if it does, please edit, thanks.

I'm in a 11 keeper leauge and I still think I'm going to have to cut bait. Expesically w/ not knowing if he'll even be back up this year!

Went to the Aces game today and sat 4 rows up behind the plate to get a good first hand look...

Before he even throws a warm up pitch he does this odd start at the back of the mound by the rosin bag running toward home, let 'er rip as hard as he can hurl... basically throws it from 50'... and he missed the catcher by 4 feet!!! Hits 8' up the backstop net, reminiscent of Ricky Vaughn... yet Bauer is stoic, not even a slight grin.

First few innings he looked good, stuff is excellent! Odd thing was, 91 is as high as the gun went, 89-90 the norm on his fastball. (Not that this is news, but the kid is as arrogant and seemingly uncoachable as they come. Never once acknowledged the crowd or teammates for that matter. It's like he lives in his own little world out there and becomes distracted easily, seemingly oblivious to the count at all times... like no one pitch is more or less important than any other.)

As for the results, like I said... the stuff is top notch, the results not so much.

4 BB in 4.1 innings is EXACTLY what will keep him in AAA a long time. After each free pass, his demeanor was unchanged, like who gives a s---, I'll strike the next guy out. The sad part is all but 1 BB started as 1-2 or 0-2 counts. He wasn't nibbling, he was flat out missing by FEET, not inches.

The 3'rd inning I believe is when he gave up his 1'st of 2 HR's on the day... wouldn't have left most parks, but a line drive that carried out of right center here in the dry Reno air. The second one to Sands I believe was another belt high fastball in the 90 mph range down the heart, an absolute bomb that left the stadium and landed in the train trench behind left center.

Final line: 4.1 IP, 5 HITS, 5 R (3ER), 4BB, 6K's.

My take: Self absorbed yet tallented SP who will NEVER reach his potential until he realizes it's a "team" sport. He isn't even cocky, that's simply not enough. He honestly thinks there are only 2 players on the field... himself and the hitter. It's an odd thing to witness first hand. I wouldn't be surprised if Skaggs winds up the better pitcher long term, and Bauer goes into Ricky Henderson third person mode in future interviews. It would be sad to see him never fulfill his potential, but somethin just aint right w/ this kid upstairs!

Well, it looks like he's turning it around at least. Unlikely to pitch again this season IMO, with Skaggs up, buuuut

In August, he has a 32K:8BB over 26.1 innings! Working down them walks. Velocity is back up. Not bad. He will be a top 30 pitcher next season imo, and the hype is gone from his bad start.

Well, it looks like he's turning it around at least. Unlikely to pitch again this season IMO, with Skaggs up, buuuut

In August, he has a 32K:8BB over 26.1 innings! Working down them walks. Velocity is back up. Not bad. He will be a top 30 pitcher next season imo, and the hype is gone from his bad start.

I'm reserving any further opinion I have on Trevor Bauer til I see get called up and make a handful of starts for a 2nd time around, what he does in the minors means nothing to me.

Reason being is, stuff isn't the problem. Him getting BB down in the minors is a start, but I gotta see him change his reinventing the wheel approach to attacking big league hitters. The high FBs and throwing breaking balls in the dirt off the same plane is great Vs college hitters, most minor league hitters, but dude - you gotta throw strikes in the big leagues. The book is out on what he tries to do, and he's gonna have to swallow his pride, lose the arrogance, and realize he needs to listen to his catchers, attack hitters weaknesses, and pound the zone.

I just don't like the kid AT ALL - seems like such a little prick. He quickly realized his straight as hell high FB when he doesn't get it up enough gets absolutely smashed in the majors, a belt high straight 94 is nothing up there if guys know that's all he can get over. He didn't show a remote sniff of consistently getting over any of his other 403840 off speed pitches with any regularity.

Wow, I read as much as I could and couldn't stop thinking "will this kid please shut the hell up?" Unless he changes his whole mental approach to how he plays, I don't see how he can be successful. It's clear from that article that he fully believes he knows exactly what he should do at all times regardless of what anyone else tries to tell him. He must be a nightmare to coach or catch (as Gibson and Montero can probably attest).

I'm reserving any further opinion I have on Trevor Bauer til I see get called up and make a handful of starts for a 2nd time around, what he does in the minors means nothing to me.

Reason being is, stuff isn't the problem. Him getting BB down in the minors is a start, but I gotta see him change his reinventing the wheel approach to attacking big league hitters. The high FBs and throwing breaking balls in the dirt off the same plane is great Vs college hitters, most minor league hitters, but dude - you gotta throw strikes in the big leagues. The book is out on what he tries to do, and he's gonna have to swallow his pride, lose the arrogance, and realize he needs to listen to his catchers, attack hitters weaknesses, and pound the zone.

I just don't like the kid AT ALL - seems like such a little prick. He quickly realized his straight as hell high FB when he doesn't get it up enough gets absolutely smashed in the majors, a belt high straight 94 is nothing up there if guys know that's all he can get over. He didn't show a remote sniff of consistently getting over any of his other 403840 off speed pitches with any regularity.

I like Bauer but I kind of agree with you here. He just seems too cocky. He'll be back, no doubt, and if he can keep from getting figured out by hitters he'll be okay. But hitters read him like a book and like you said all he throws are fastballs over the plate and offspeed pitches in the dirt. If he can work on his consistency with his other pitches he'll make it, but for now, I'm with you. Bauer is just another pitcher right now.

Sometimes the great ones know they are great, look at Harper....

Harper also backed it up and plays the game the right way. He may rub some people the wrong way, but he always hustles and I think has a good attitude in general. Meanwhile, so far Bauer has rubbed everyone the wrong way, including his teammates. Harper still needs to mature obviously, but Bauer just needs to become less of a douche.

Harper also backed it up and plays the game the right way. He may rub some people the wrong way, but he always hustles and I think has a good attitude in general. Meanwhile, so far Bauer has rubbed everyone the wrong way, including his teammates. Harper still needs to mature obviously, but Bauer just needs to become less of a douche.

Harper is one of those guys like Eric Byrnes (much more talented) where he is just going balls out on everything, routine ground ball, pop fly, whatever and to some guys who think they are "too cool" for that, even teamates, it probably makes some guys look at that and just not get it, but there is a big difference between something that might not be for them like the full sprint on the comebacker versus just going about your business in a way that rubs your team the wrong way and to couple that you get your performances stink on ice, not a great combo.

Harper is one of those guys like Eric Byrnes (much more talented) where he is just going balls out on everything, routine ground ball, pop fly, whatever and to some guys who think they are "too cool" for that, even teamates, it probably makes some guys look at that and just not get it, but there is a big difference between something that might not be for them like the full sprint on the comebacker versus just going about your business in a way that rubs your team the wrong way and to couple that you get your performances stink on ice, not a great combo.

I've always seen a lot of Byrnes in Harper's game as well. Clearly a similar style of play, both play OF and are both power and speed threats. Bryce next year will probably obliterate Byrnes' career year, but still I agree with the comparison.

I WANT Bauer to give me a reason to draft him next year but I feel like I should play it safer...

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that Trevor Bauer will be acquired by the Indians in the three-team deal with the Diamondbacks and Reds.

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that Trevor Bauer will be acquired by the Indians in the three-team deal with the Diamondbacks and Reds.

The Indians will also reportedly get Drew Stubbs, as well as relievers Bryan Shaw and Matt Albers. Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald are headed to the Reds in the deal, while the D'Backs will receive Didi Gregorius, Tony Sipp and Lars Anderson. Bauer fell out of favor in the Arizona organization, but it doesn't appear the D'Backs got enough for him.

ARZ moved Bauer and got Did Gregoruis, Tony Sipp, and Lars Anderson?! Sounds like a horrible deal for ARZ...

The Indians will also reportedly get Drew Stubbs, as well as relievers Bryan Shaw and Matt Albers. Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald are headed to the Reds in the deal, while the D'Backs will receive Didi Gregorius, Tony Sipp and Lars Anderson. Bauer fell out of favor in the Arizona organization, but it doesn't appear the D'Backs got enough for him.

ARZ moved Bauer and got Did Gregoruis, Tony Sipp, and Lars Anderson?! Sounds like a horrible deal for ARZ...

He must have really been on their bad side! That or they love Gregoruis. I just don't see the upside here for AZ.

Wow, they didnt even get choo. I think they got a horrible return here, even if Bauer never amounts to being the third pick at least give him more of a chance. He did still dominate in the minors

My thinking is Bauer must be as much of a pain in the butt as he appears from the outside, I'm really surprised Arizona drafted him due to having a lot of old school leadership and Bauer is as far away from old school philosophy as it gets. Bauer and his agent made it very clear he doesn't want to change his approach prior to that draft.

I get some of Bauer's thinking, but he comes across as an extremely arrogant know it all that is trying to reinvent the wheel. Using belt to letter high FBs to set up swing and misses on out of the zone/in the dirt breaking pitches is an EXCELLENT method to get out hitters in college and minor leagues. At those levels hitters eyes and discipline aren't anywhere near that of MLB hitters. They're going to continue to make him throw strikes, and sit on those belt high hitters and pepper them all over the field. Bauer has to change what he does, his whole "I don't pitch to hitters weaknesses, I pitch to my strengths" deal has to go. If your Aroldis Chapman or Craig Kimbrel and you're throwing one inning - sure, but it ain't gonna work for Bauer.

So Bauer is trying to reprogram his delivery. Add another year of development.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2013/03/neuromuscular_programming_slow.html

"Coming into spring training I felt fully healthy, but when you're trying to overwrite 10 years of neuromuscular programming, in four or five weeks, it's a little bit tough," he said.

Bauer said he's making the changes to improve his health and command. He did not go into detail about the changes.

"I could talk for days on why I'm doing it, but that's stuff you guys aren't interested in hearing," he said.

Bauer said the idea to make the changes was his, but that the organization supports his move.

Either way Bauer has a bright future and gets a chance this season again. I expect (just a hunch) 2 of the following 3 to fall-through, McAllister, Carrasco or Kazmir.

Maybe he should reprogram his attitude while at it. You think getting shipped away to Cleveland then to the minors would be a wake up call for most people. Dude, your new team ranked you lower then Kasmir! But then Bauer doesn't think he is most people.

Maybe he should reprogram his attitude while at it. You think getting shipped away to Cleveland then to the minors would be a wake up call for most people. Dude, your new team ranked you lower then Kasmir! But then Bauer doesn't think he is most people.

I don't think his attitude is a big deal. At the end of the day, if you can perform, you'll play. Ty Cobb was an a**hole. But that didn't keep him off the field. Not to mention, I don't think Bauer's attitude is that bad. It's just different from the normal baseball jock.

And that's no slight starting in the minors. He's still young. This is only his second season of professional ball. And he's working on some new mechanics. All in all, starting in the minors is a completely understandable decision.

That all said, I'm dropping him off of my immediate prospect radar if he's working on changing his mechanics. Maybe it will work out for him, maybe it won't, but changing what you've been doing for the past 10 years takes a while and doesn't always work (see: Teheran, Julio).