Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ray Barboni

A Fantasy Farewell

I considered posting this in the Football Forum....but with all the noobs we are flooded with every year, i did not want such a sensitive subject in that forum. Im hoping the more established RW members frequent this "off-topic" board and can lend some good advise.

My dynasty league recently lost a key-member this week....passed at the young age of 34. We are in mourning. Great friend, and league-mate; he left us suddenly, but his mark was definitely made on everyone that he came across. He was a local radio DJ, but that was the LEAST of his accomplishments as a person.

The league commish and i are childhood friends, and i as well as obviously him have been called upon to make important "league" decisions. So as the 2011 season approaches; we have to put aside our mourning to get back to work and get this Dynasty league up and running smoothly again.

We lost one of our key owners in this tragedy....what do we do? One option is inviting a close friend of his to take over his team, he attended our draft last year; but is not really a "fantasy geeek"...so we are not sure he is up for taking the team over. The commish, myself and another strong member of our league have all offered to assist him in managing this team.

We are changing the league name and trophy in his honor as starting points.

But this is a sticky situation. Do we find a new owner to take over the team? One suggestion i had was to have a vote....where you could not vote for yourself....and the vote would be who you would trust with managing the team. The top 3 vote getters will collectively manage the team throughout the draft(which is an Auction, so even harder) and throughout the season week to week, and even trade offers.

5 years into this Dynasty league. We dont want to replace him; and really? who would sleep at night replacing a team in this manner?

Im asking for input. What would you guys do? have you ever gone through something like this? how did you handle it?

....dude has a nice core of a team too.....bullet points being Brees/CJ2K and just drafted Ingram in our rookie draft.

any and all respectful insight is welcomed

thanks fellas

I considered posting this in the Football Forum....but with all the noobs we are flooded with every year, i did not want such a sensitive subject in that forum. Im hoping the more established RW members frequent this "off-topic" board and can lend some good advise.

My dynasty league recently lost a key-member this week....passed at the young age of 34. We are in mourning. Great friend, and league-mate; he left us suddenly, but his mark was definitely made on everyone that he came across. He was a local radio DJ, but that was the LEAST of his accomplishments as a person.

The league commish and i are childhood friends, and i as well as obviously him have been called upon to make important "league" decisions. So as the 2011 season approaches; we have to put aside our mourning to get back to work and get this Dynasty league up and running smoothly again.

We lost one of our key owners in this tragedy....what do we do? One option is inviting a close friend of his to take over his team, he attended our draft last year; but is not really a "fantasy geeek"...so we are not sure he is up for taking the team over. The commish, myself and another strong member of our league have all offered to assist him in managing this team.

We are changing the league name and trophy in his honor as starting points.

But this is a sticky situation. Do we find a new owner to take over the team? One suggestion i had was to have a vote....where you could not vote for yourself....and the vote would be who you would trust with managing the team. The top 3 vote getters will collectively manage the team throughout the draft(which is an Auction, so even harder) and throughout the season week to week, and even trade offers.

5 years into this Dynasty league. We dont want to replace him; and really? who would sleep at night replacing a team in this manner?

Im asking for input. What would you guys do? have you ever gone through something like this? how did you handle it?

....dude has a nice core of a team too.....bullet points being Brees/CJ2K and just drafted Ingram in our rookie draft.

any and all respectful insight is welcomed

thanks fellas

First, you have my condolences for the loss of your friend. To the question at hand, the last thing you should do is have another league member manage this team. While it can be done, it's best to avoid any conflict of interest if possible. I would look to have his friend manage the team and you and others that can be trusted could provide counsel if need be. If you don't feel comfortable with his long-term viability, perhaps ask him to step in for this year only. Who knows, maybe he learns to love it. I would start asking everyone in the league if they know someone that is at your league's fantasy level and would be agreeable to take over the team. Those would be my first thoughts. Good luck.

First, you have my condolences for the loss of your friend. To the question at hand, the last thing you should do is have another league member manage this team. While it can be done, it's best to avoid any conflict of interest if possible. I would look to have his friend manage the team and you and others that can be trusted could provide counsel if need be. If you don't feel comfortable with his long-term viability, perhaps ask him to step in for this year only. Who knows, maybe he learns to love it. I would start asking everyone in the league if they know someone that is at your league's fantasy level and would be agreeable to take over the team. Those would be my first thoughts. Good luck.

Thanks PB....appreciated, and your the exact kind i was hoping to get a post from.

and yes although i agree with you on not having "a league member take over his team".....it would NOT be just one member running the team. It would come to a vote; and the top 3 vote getters would together manage this team, hopefully eliminating any conflict of interest. As i would assume in a vote (that you could not vote for yourself )....that whomever was voted on would be because they were trusted within the league.

Best case scenario would be that his buddy (thats not a fantasy player) would take over the team. That would be great and based on the circumstances he would be welcomed with open arms and given every tip/insight/advise needed to succeed. Saying this is easier said than done though....as in this time....i cant blame this "non-fantasy player" for not giving a damn about a "silly fantasy team"....so we cant press the issue if he initially is not interested.

Which leads me to our back-up plan....a blind vote where you cannot vote for your self; and the top 3 vote getters collectively manage the team.

Is that fair?

Sorry about your loss.

What strikes me is the end game ... are you planning to do this forever? Having a couple of guys (who were voted) manage the team? That to me has a lot of potential conflicts ... who/how to draft in the auction /etcetc. I just don't see that method holding up over the long term.

Best off is to get someone (that friend) up and running and if he doesn't like it, find a long term replacement.

To begin, along with PB, my condolences for your loss...

I agree with PB - I think the best idea would be to find another owner...ask your friends if they know anyone who can join the league. If that's not an option, I would ask his friend to take over the team and have the league collectively assist him if needed.

As much as you think your idea of having the league vote/collectively manage the team, I think its a really poor idea. Even if it somehow worked(which I believe it will not, their will inevitably be a conflict of interest IMO), its really just a short term solution. I'm not really sure how to explain why in words, but I just think its a really bad idea if your league is as serious as it sounds(competitiveness/active). Just my two cents...

To parrott the rest,condolences on your lost.Oddly enough,a league I'm in had this exact thing happen last year,a young man in his early 30's pass away.I don't think any of us know each other well well like your descibing but developed some sort of fantasy sport aquaintances in this league.Needless to say,it was still a shock to be part of a league that had lost a member,very weird feeling.What we arrived at and that was just us,was firstly re-naming the league for that season in this guys name and then arrived at the decision to allow the LM to manage the team as it was,no adds or drops.Just set the lineup.This is a new year and if this league continues I assume we will be replacing this guy with a new owner.

It's a tough call,but I think in the end,what would your colleague have you to do?If he's like most of us I would guess he would like for you to pick up the ball and keep going.Good luck.

My condolences as well, but you have to replace him. You can't have 3 people running a team when the other three managers have a vested interest in it and the league. You NEED a replacement manager. If you want to keep it restricted to your friends, then by all means, but there are other options out there. Even if this friend of yours isn't a fantasy geek so to speak, it doesn't mean he won't become one. I like that you renamed the league and trophy after your lost friend too but as far as a state of the league is concerned, you need a replacement manager. You'd do the same thing if someone quit and couldn't play anymore right?

Appreciate all the feedback fellas...

Yes, now that i have thought about it an after reading your posts....i gotta agree with you guys. We may be able to pull it off for the duration of THIS season; but once the next off-season hits, and we the rookie draft rolls around it could get messy. Its already a very active league as far as trades and even trading Rookie Draft picks as well as cash in our salary cap.

The commish and i are currently in talk with the friend; trying to get him to take the team over. Slow going right now considering the circumstances. We may end up waiving his entrance fee for this year to ease him in to the league. If he still is not interested? yea the right thing to do for the sake of the league is to find a replacement.

Thanks again boys; see ya around the boards