Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrArmageddon

Bench Ray Rice?

Ray Rice has Pittsburgh this week.

I have McFadden at Denver, Greene vs. Dallas, and Best @ TB.

I also have Hightower, but he is involved in a trade that should be accepted shortly...

I know Rice can get yardage, but the big question is, will he score in this game?

Leave a link and I WHIR.

Never bench your studs.

Why? Because his ADP is high?

How did Michael Turner do against Pittsburgh last year?

In 3 games last year against NYJ and Pittsburgh Ray Rice scored 11 points. What a stud...

Do not bench him. If you were that afraid of Pitt then you shouldnt have drafted him seeing that he's playing them twice. So often you see players go off against great D's and stink against the D's you think he should go off against. You dont want to be the guy that sits Rice and have him put up 20 points.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=241717

It's not like I am benching him for some WR3 flex guy. I have four potential top 15 backs. Three could be top 10.

If you only started 2 RBs, you could consider going with DMC and Greene, but since you can start 3, you'd be crazy to bench Rice. Rice >>>>>>>Best, regardless of matchups.

Judging by the comments you made MrArmageddon you've already made your mind up, I honestly dont see the harm in benching him since you DMC, Greene, and Best with some good matchups so I say roll the dice and do it please help me out http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2319638

Wouldn't say I'm set, but the "Don't bench your studs" argument just doesn't make much sense to me. Never has.

I don't think Rice scores this week. Pitt does not allow RBs to score. What did they give up last year? 3 rushing TDs?

I like the other match-ups better. It's only week 1. I don't think Rice is going to make or break your season this week.

Go with Best....plus he might get injured week 3 and you'll lose him for the rest of the year...jk.

I see no issue with benching a 'stud' RB against Pitt.

Wouldn't say I'm set, but the "Don't bench your studs" argument just doesn't make much sense to me. Never has.

There is no explanation, you just don't do it! Rice will get 15+ carries and catch 5+ balls. Take your chances with what he does with those opportunities rather than seeing how Greene and Hightower is used. I would go with the stud that is getting the most opportunities. Rice is so much better than Greene and Hightower regardless of who he is playing.

I normally would never advocate benching Ray Rice, but its a tough call with the three guys you have to go in his stead. Youve got some very good players in good matchups and an elite player in a terrible matchup. I probably wouldnt bench him but I wouldnt really fault you for doing so.

It's not like I am benching him for some WR3 flex guy. I have four potential top 15 backs. Three could be top 10.

You're saying that greene and hightower are necessarily potential top 15 backs? I would love to take the other side of that bet on both. Especially Hightower - Helu starts there by the end of the season.

As for your dilemma this really comes down to Rice vs Best -- b/c DMC and Greene are obvious starts at RB1/RB2. Rice vs steelers best vs TB. I don't know about you but I think I'd rather go down with Rice at PIT rather than have best turn a toe or pull a hammy in q1 and have a lost spot. Maybe i'm just pissed about last year and best.

with the depth you have you can bench rice but i would go Greene over best Oak has qb problems and MCF is flaky TB D isnt a laughing matter anymore...

You're saying that greene and hightower are necessarily potential top 15 backs? I would love to take the other side of that bet on both. Especially Hightower - Helu starts there by the end of the season.

As for your dilemma this really comes down to Rice vs Best -- b/c DMC and Greene are obvious starts at RB1/RB2. Rice vs steelers best vs TB. I don't know about you but I think I'd rather go down with Rice at PIT rather than have best turn a toe or pull a hammy in q1 and have a lost spot. Maybe i'm just pissed about last year and best.

Pretty sure he is referring to the opening week, not all season. I could be wrong, but thats how I read it.

I benched foster when he went up Against the jets last season. He scored two Tds and had 100 yards. There's a reason you don't bench studs. That said the other two guys you have are question marks. Im a jet fan and Id start rice over Greene. He will find the endzone.

There is no explanation, you just don't do it! Rice will get 15+ carries and catch 5+ balls. Take your chances with what he does with those opportunities rather than seeing how Greene and Hightower is used. I would go with the stud that is getting the most opportunities. Rice is so much better than Greene and Hightower regardless of who he is playing.

Do I have to go back to the three games last year? I don't get points for Ray Rice getting touches.

Last season:

@ NYJ- 21 carries- 43 yards; 2 catches, 19 yards

@ Pitt- 8 carries- 20 yards; 1 catch, 9 yards

Pitt- 9 carries- 32 yards; 2 catches, 18 yards

So not only does how many times he touches the ball not matter, but he didn't even hit the numbers you laid out. He got exactly 20 touches in TWO games against Pittsburgh last year.

If you want to make an argument that McGahee is gone and Ricky Williams is not going to get a lot of carries I am all for that, but I need more than "Don't do it because!"

Something like...

PROS

No McGahee, Lee Evans stretches the field along with Pitta and Dickson, and Vonta Leach is the best FB in football, James Harrison has slowed down

CONS

Ricky Williams, The Pittsburgh Steelers allowed 3 rushing TDs last year, the Ravens offensive line (

)

I am not even considering Hightower because he should be traded soon. Greene, Best, McFadden, and Rice are four potential top 15 guys. Greene will get over 300 touches this season. 4 YPC makes him top 15. I think he is right around there now in most draft boards, somewhere between 15-20.

I benched foster when he went up Against the jets last season. He scored two Tds and had 100 yards. There's a reason you don't bench studs. That said the other two guys you have are question marks. Im a jet fan and Id start rice over Greene. He will find the endzone.

I think Foster is the only player that is legitimately matchup proof.

Never bench your studs.

I agree with this guy. Don't get too cute or over-analyze. Plug in your studs and let them do work. Sometimes your bench may outperform your starters but you'll drive yourself crazy trying to predict it weekly.

Vontae Leach and no McGahee would have me starting him this time around. Lee Evans might take some pressure off over the top as well.

Start Rice, DMC, and Greene.. I think the real question here is start Greene or Best? Tough call on that one. Best is healthy.. best time to use him is just when he's healthy! Electric playmaker on an offense that will move the chains.

I'm not sure how many carries Greene will get anyway.. He's on one of my teams, so I'm watching his situation closely.

Help me too plz! http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=241751

This is a really good thread and a really tough tough decision.

It's hard to pass on Ray Rice considering his potential this year and the probable goal line looks/catches he'll have.

However - one great stat that was brought up was PIT defense only gave up a few rushing TDs last year. This speaks volumes to me.

If your options are Best/Rice I think you have to go Rice just purely based on talent. Tough call.

Do I have to go back to the three games last year? I don't get points for Ray Rice getting touches.

Last season:

So not only does how many times he touches the ball not matter, but he didn't even hit the numbers you laid out. He got exactly 20 touches in TWO games against Pittsburgh last year.

If you want to make an argument that McGahee is gone and Ricky Williams is not going to get a lot of carries I am all for that, but I need more than "Don't do it because!"

Something like...

PROS

No McGahee, Lee Evans stretches the field along with Pitta and Dickson, and Vonta Leach is the best FB in football, James Harrison has slowed down

CONS

Ricky Williams, The Pittsburgh Steelers allowed 3 rushing TDs last year, the Ravens offensive line (

)

I hear you man, I wish I had a great argument...I have Rice on my one team as well. In the past, I over-analyzed like you at times and got burned when they blow up on your bench. To me, that's the worst feeling in the world.

My advice: Its Week 1, plug in your best players for now - wait a few weeks before you start making gut-wrenching start/sit decisions. That's my plan, anyway. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Never bench your studs.

Terrible philosophy, so simple minded.

If I went by this I would have never won a Championship.

Last season:

Something like...

PROS

CONS

)

Simply looking at 2010 is about as simple minded as your suggesting those that stated to never bench your studs are.

take a look at 2009. Rice had 229 yards on 49 carries on the ground and 6 catches for another 81 yards.

plus, besides what stats ray got in 2010, McGahee added 14 carries for 39 yards with a TD in one game.

Greene hasnt proven anything yet, and Best could aggravate his vagina in the 3rd series.