Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrArmageddon

Bench Ray Rice?

Terrible philosophy, so simple minded.

If I went by this I would have never won a Championship.

Haha I just know so many cases of it backfiring on people. To each their own.

Simply looking at 2010 is about as simple minded as your suggesting those that stated to never bench your studs are.

take a look at 2009. Rice had 229 yards on 49 carries on the ground and 6 catches for another 81 yards.

plus, besides what stats ray got in 2010, McGahee added 14 carries for 39 yards with a TD in one game.

Greene hasnt proven anything yet, and Best could aggravate his vagina in the 3rd series.

I've been looking at his past performances against Pitt and because this is Rice's 3rd year as THE Man it's tough because he had an amazing year and a down year so it is tough to gauge how he is going to start out this season.

Were his good numbers in 09 because nobody knew who he was and he wasn't factored into Pitt's gameplan much?

Right now I am thinking this comes down more to Greene vs. Best.

To me, the Don't Bench Your Studs theory is assuming that because you have a mega-stud RB, then you most likely don't have a very, very good bench RB. In the old days, it was like that. Nowadays, with so many great RB's, and so many RB's splitting time, good RB's are a dime a dozen, and you can seriously conisder sitting somebody if they have a particularly horrible matchup. Honestly, I think the Steelers is the ONLY team that I would sit Rice.

I'd go McFaddy and Greene

Id still start Rice no matter what, especailly now with no McGahee and the fact Rice catches passes.

Jahvid Best needs to prove something before you bench Ray Rice for him. I understand it's the Steelers, but outside of ONE great game last year, Best did nothing. Moreover, almost every Lion EXCEPT him has looked studly this preseason.

I understand he was a high draft pick, but Best has durability concerns, and honestly I don't think he's that special of a player. I'd roll the dice with Rice on this one....

I have a similar decision to make in one of my leagues (Rice or Bradshaw), and I think I'm sticking with Rice...

jahvid best is in the same class, potentially, as charles/mccoy types [he was ~top 20 as an injured rookie] . when he plays, he is a stud. hes in a great offense, the matchup is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better

i'd bench rice for best ... or shonn greene just bc he's a mediocre player and the jets oline isnt as good as years past

get best in the lineup = my point.

jahvid best is in the same class, potentially, as charles/mccoy types [he was ~top 20 as an injured rookie] . when he plays, he is a stud. hes in a great offense, the matchup is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better

i'd bench rice for best ... or shonn greene just bc he's a mediocre player and the jets oline isnt as good as years past

get best in the lineup = my point.

Not even close!

He averaged 3.2 ypc last year. His hype was built entirely off of one game, and he's injury-prone to boot! TB has a decent run-defense, and their first two draft picks this year are stud DE's. If Best can't block, he won't be doing much from the bench...

couldnt care less about his YPC the guy catches a ton of balls and before he got hurt he was a beast

tampa bays defense is average, the lions offense could be 1 of the best in football

if you wanna cling to the 'dont bench your studs' - fine. shonn greene sucks, play best

and when a guy plays an entire year with the same injury [in both legs] that made mcfadden uselsss and still finishes around the top 20 RBs - yea hes really good.

C'mon, he had one good game. He was completely pedestrian apart from that.

Greene is going to be a bellcow, getting 20-25 carries per game. No way you can sit him for an unproven Best.

And I'm not clinging to "don't bench your studs." I'm just saying I trust Ray Rice vs Pitt over Best vs Tampa.

Why? Because his ADP is high?

How did Michael Turner do against Pittsburgh last year?

In 3 games last year against NYJ and Pittsburgh Ray Rice scored 11 points. What a stud...

Michael Turner is 187 years old. I agree dont bench you rb studs you never know how the game will go he might get two touchdowns from the 1yd line. These things are to hard to predict. The only time I bench a stud is when they are going up against revis. Seriously other than randy moss 's one catch, andre johnson, megatron, marshall, they all get shut down. Thats the one case where i think its okay to go with someone else. Also last year ray rice had a very average year...im assuming you drafted him cause you think he will have a better one...so if you are going by last years stats you should have never drafted him in the first place.

or when your RB plays against pitt

best's 'pedestrian' performances when healthy : 15, 42, 7, 9, 7, 8, 9, 15 ... and some of them were brutal matchups [GB,CHI,NYJ]

what exactly has shonn greene 'proven' ? hes a cedric benson clone, a mediocre player thats useless without 20 + touches

I have RR also and am considering benching him for Beanie Wells at Carolina.

Starting to wonder why I drafted RR at #3 when he will be facing Pitt twice.

I say go with Ray Rice. I know PIT is a tough matchup, but with his ability to catch outta of the backfield and break a hugh run, I would role with him. You dont want him on the bench when he scores a ton of points. Go Bears! (Chi 24 - ATL 20) **Earl Bennett 8 catches 110 yards and a TD

Help with mine! http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=241844

Being a Rice owner, I have been thinking about this as well. Perfectly legitimate question.

But I don't have the depth at RB that you do. For me it's either McGahee or somebody like Julio Jones/Jacoby Ford - so i might have to put him out there in week 1

Being a Rice owner, I have been thinking about this as well. Perfectly legitimate question.

But I don't have the depth at RB that you do. For me it's either McGahee or somebody like Julio Jones/Jacoby Ford - so i might have to put him out there in week 1

yes, you do.

I have RR also and am considering benching him for Beanie Wells at Carolina.

Starting to wonder why I drafted RR at #3 when he will be facing Pitt twice.

Because the rest of his schedule outside the 2 Pitt games is very fantasy friendly. Plus there probably isn't more of a versatile "workhorse" in the NFL. He's a phenomenal receiver out of the backfield, will get 20+ carries a game typically and he's the Goal Line back. His TD numbers are bound to skyrocket this year.

Plus, just about every RB runs into hard matchups here and there. Overall, Rice's schedule is set up nicely.

Just looked at the stats for Pittsburgh D

They conceded just THREE rushing touchdowns in 16 games. Allowed 8.5 ppg compared to the NFL average of 16.5 ppg. They were easily the best at stopping the run. They also strangled Baltimore last year.

The only difference this season, which could be key, is Harrison's status. Otherwise, i see no reason to start Rice.

I also checked out Oakland's D, and they bled points to RBs all season long. McGahee over Rice looks even more tempting now, but i don't know if i have the balls to do it

I think Foster is the only player that is legitimately matchup proof.

I have a hard time thinking of a situation where I'd bench AP. Probably not CJ either.

I wouldn't sit Rice, bad matchup or not. But I think you've already made your decision. That's fine.

I'm a Ray Rice owner, and I have BIG expectations for him this season. He has the "perfect storm" brewing around him right now. Easy schedule (outside of 2 Pitt games and maybe 1 Jets), no TD vulture waiting to swoop in and steal his thunder, a coach that is allowing his RB to decide when he wants to come out of the game, a coash who has declared his RB as the goal-line back, his ability to catch balls out of the backfield, the fact that he's running behind the best blocking FB in the league, the expectation of an improved passing game with Boldin in his 2nd year in the system and the addition of Evans, etc. etc.

All of that being said, I'm also a die-hard Steeler fan. I never miss a game. NO ONE runs on the Steelers. This isn't something new (check the stats for the past several years). Sure, a RB very occassionally has a "decent" game against them by sneaking in a score, but NO ONE has a huge game against them. It just is what it is. Say what you want about Pittsburgh, but they are simply the best at shutting down a running game. So much so, that many teams almost completely abandon it after the 1st quarter or so.

So yea, I hate that Ray starts the season against the Steelers, but his positive variables are way too great to worry about 2 matchups. I say if you have the depth at RB to sit him against the Steelers, do it. Much of Fantasy Football is risk/reward. In this case, history clearly shows that the reward ceiling for Rice is pretty damn low in week 1. In other words, his odds of blowing up and putting up a huge game is extremely low. I'm not benching Rice for a run-of-the-mill RB or a guy in a timeshare, but if I have a solid starter I think you'd be crazy NOT to consider it. There's a strong possibility that Rice will be on my bench in week 1 in favor of Beanie who has a tasy matchup and will get the rock pretty much exclusively. Now, Beanie isn't a clear cut decision.....I'd call him on the fringe of someone I'd start over Rice this week. But I'm strongly considering it.

You play Fantasy Football to WIN games by getting the maximum amount of points you can. You do NOT win by making sure your first few draft picks are on the field EVERY week, regardless of matchup. In terms of RBs, I'd say that the Steelers are probably the only defense I would consider benching a top 5 RB against. They're just that good. It doesn't matter that your RB is a top 5 beast. The Steelers D is like Honey Badger....they don't give a s---. (if you haven't watched the Honey Badger video on YouTube, do yourself favor and go watch it.)

So good luck. Follow your instincts AND logic.

I'm a Ray Rice owner, and I have BIG expectations for him this season. He has the "perfect storm" brewing around him right now. Easy schedule (outside of 2 Pitt games and maybe 1 Jets), no TD vulture waiting to swoop in and steal his thunder, a coach that is allowing his RB to decide when he wants to come out of the game, a coash who has declared his RB as the goal-line back, his ability to catch balls out of the backfield, the fact that he's running behind the best blocking FB in the league, the expectation of an improved passing game with Boldin in his 2nd year in the system and the addition of Evans, etc. etc.

All of that being said, I'm also a die-hard Steeler fan. I never miss a game. NO ONE runs on the Steelers. This isn't something new (check the stats for the past several years). Sure, a RB very occassionally has a "decent" game against them by sneaking in a score, but NO ONE has a huge game against them. It just is what it is. Say what you want about Pittsburgh, but they are simply the best at shutting down a running game. So much so, that many teams almost completely abandon it after the 1st quarter or so.

So yea, I hate that Ray starts the season against the Steelers, but his positive variables are way too great to worry about 2 matchups. I say if you have the depth at RB to sit him against the Steelers, do it. Much of Fantasy Football is risk/reward. In this case, history clearly shows that the reward ceiling for Rice is pretty damn low in week 1. In other words, his odds of blowing up and putting up a huge game is extremely low. I'm not benching Rice for a run-of-the-mill RB or a guy in a timeshare, but if I have a solid starter I think you'd be crazy NOT to consider it. There's a strong possibility that Rice will be on my bench in week 1 in favor of Beanie who has a tasy matchup and will get the rock pretty much exclusively. Now, Beanie isn't a clear cut decision.....I'd call him on the fringe of someone I'd start over Rice this week. But I'm strongly considering it.

You play Fantasy Football to WIN games by getting the maximum amount of points you can. You do NOT win by making sure your first few draft picks are on the field EVERY week, regardless of matchup. In terms of RBs, I'd say that the Steelers are probably the only defense I would consider benching a top 5 RB against. They're just that good. It doesn't matter that your RB is a top 5 beast. The Steelers D is like Honey Badger....they don't give a s---. (if you haven't watched the Honey Badger video on YouTube, do yourself favor and go watch it.)

So good luck. Follow your instincts AND logic.

Wow, great assessment.

What do you make of James Harrison's situation? Is his weakness a good reason to continue with Rice or is just not worth the hassle either way?

he'll do great

if the rest of the front 7 is hurt too ... that defense is is just ridiculous vs the run

Wow, great assessment.

What do you make of James Harrison's situation? Is his weakness a good reason to continue with Rice or is just not worth the hassle either way?

James Harrison does not "make" that Steelers D. He's a great assett for sure, but in terms of run-stuffing, Pittsburgh doesn't miss a beat with or without him. Their ability to get to the QB might be hindered a bit with a banged up Harrison, but Woodley, Timmons, and Farrior are playmakers too.

Basically, I'm saying "no". Harrison's perceived "weakness" is definitely not enough reason to automatically start all of your RBs against them. They'll continue their run-stuffing dominance again this season. Count on it.