Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michaelsatchmo

penalty minutes

18 posts in this topic

I have played fantasy sports for a long time and decided to try a CBS hockey league this year. I am puzzled as to why penalty minutes would be a positive scoring category (albeit small)--thoughts????

I have played fantasy sports for a long time and decided to try a CBS hockey league this year. I am puzzled as to why penalty minutes would be a positive scoring category (albeit small)--thoughts????

It is a legit question. I have always loved PIM's as a category! It rewards true power forwards, ala Lucic, Dubinsky etc. Those players are roto monsters and great assets to any team.

it's like this on every site. when i first started i assumed it was a negative category so i avoided it B) just not logical

Yeah it's been an age long debate... It's kinda like fouls in basketball or personal fouls in football... It hurts the team in real-life than helping it so shouldn't it be a negative thing?

I think the whole premise behind is it so reward players who are more physical players, so to reward players that were more into hitting and playing a power game than those who shy away from it and play a finesse game.

I wouldn't be surprised now with the new stats of BS and HITs that PIMs will start to be phased out of fantasy hockey in the next few years.

There are so few counting stats in hockey. PIMS are just a solid number and easily tracked. It is like SOG who cares if u can't get any in the net? The cat I hate is plus minus. This steers players to the better teams and keeps focus away from the crappier teams. Karlsson was a great defensemen last year in fantasy BUT he was minus 30. Bad goatlenders lead to bad plus minus the forwards have nothing to do with the stat they are graded on.

Love the rough stuff in real hockey as well as fantasy. Always try to go for tough, power forwards in drafts. Helps fill stats across the board. As for why its positive...why not. B)

I added Lupul with the very last pick in my draft. Was hoping for those real power forward stats.......working well so far.

Getting the points and PIM

I added Lupul with the very last pick in my draft. Was hoping for those real power forward stats.......working well so far.

Getting the points and PIM

the pims won't keep up.. goals may though

the pims won't keep up.. goals may though

True......i also think Wayne Simmonds could be a good source of PIM as well

Our league used to be positive PIM's but before last year we switched to negative. We give .5 for both hits and blocks so it makes up for it. You get put in the sin bin, it hurts your team. Same logic goes for our fantasy league.

In the first year of our league, we had a few people win big matchups due to game misconduct penalty points and it really didn't make much sense. I didn't like it much at first but now I love it. Something to think about. I'm not sure if points for hits and blocks is a standard but I love playing with those rules!

In summary, I personally love PIM, BLKs, and HITS. This past Tuesday I collected 65 PIM and in ever league I play in that's considered a positive. SOG also have merit to me. Ever play any form or ice or inline hockey? You can't score if you don't shoot. Put the puck on net. Every league I play in counts +/-, but I usually ignore it when considering drafting players or picking guys up. This spring if your playoff match up depends on +/- on the final day then don't go picking up or playing any Ottawa Senators. I'd still chose to manipulate ATOI in a pinch over trying to figure out +/-.

It is a legit question. I have always loved PIM's as a category! It rewards true power forwards, ala Lucic, Dubinsky etc. Those players are roto monsters and great assets to any team.

Also love me some Steve Downie.

This is my first year playing fantasy hockey and it also confused me.

However I'm getting used to it. Requires some balancing on your roster trying to maximise penalty minutes while retaining ATOI.

I though it was a good thing not to get pen. minutes until i lost in that category and I traded Buff.

There trying to make it like baseball maybe in a way, dont know?

PIM I think attracts new people to this realm, those who get into hockey for the fights. For me it helped me start liking the fighting more!

It has nothing to do with a players skill level and rewards rediculous behavior. We started with it when we first played Fantasy Hockey but promptly eliminated it years ago.

1 person likes this

Big news on the PIM front is Daniel Carcillo is to skate on CHI's first line with Toews and Hossa. They really clicked last year. Carcillo is a demi-god in terms of PIM. I just added Carcillo on both of my teams- going to make sure I have one good PIM guy by one week into the season.