Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ray Barboni

BEAST 2011 Season Outlook

Beast this...Beast that...its even making main-stream analyst's sound dumb.

Oh....Ryan Fitzpatrick is a beast? Seriously...how is ANY QB a beast?

Yes Darren Sproles is sweet right now....but kids are calling him a beast. Its dumb. It was cute for a minute a few years ago...but now its just out of control. Anytime ANYONE has a good game we got knee-jerking, slap happy, pre-ejaculators posting "BEAST" everywhere....

What is a beast?

Websters definition:

Definition of BEAST1 a : a four-footed mammal as distinguished from a human being, a lower vertebrate, and an invertebrate

b : a lower animal as distinguished from a human being

c : an animal as distinguished from a plant

d : an animal under human control

So stop it...ok?

Every dude is a beast right. Janikowski = Beast; Dan Baily=Beast; Best(when he has ONE good game)=Beast; Reggie Bush the first dolphins offensive possesion of the year = beast...

Yea your mom makes good cookies.....BEAST!!!!

C'mon there has got to be heads out there that puke a little bit every time they hear that word in reference to a football player. Shizz....i might as well be a Beast right? french yea im calling it right now, im a RW posting beast.

Im also a Beast at darts....i always have clean shoes, which makes me a Beast. Graduating with a 4.0 this year like a Beast...

My lady has an unbelievable a**....she is a Beast in bed (thats good right?)....On my way home from work the other day i made almost EVERY green light....yup you guessed it, im a Beast at driving home from work.

Grow up

Stop it

IMO...this thread is a Beast. Why shouldnt it be? seems everyone and everything that does ONE thing ONE week well...gets to be a Beast.

Pretty sure this dump im about to take is going to be a Beast.

Yes Darren Sproles is sweet right now....but kids are calling him a beast. Its dumb.

In my opinion, calling Sproles sweet is just as dumb as calling him a beast. To each his own.

i agree

almost as bad as "swag"

hahahaha...oh man thats another one on my list. "SWAG".....wtf? such a joke. I feel sorry for the dudes that roll with every new "phrase"...and then use it in every "cool" thing they say....Lame.

Props to all the "non-sheep" out there...

Yeah, the term beast is annoying for sure. Honestly, the fantasy football forum in general is annoying as hell. Majority of week is dudes discussing their teams and lineup decisions. Who cares really? Only readable on game days.

I never really read the football forum anymore. But, when I do, I just say 'Why?' It's f**king terrible.

I am also sick of the term, but I must shed some light:

I spent 3 years as a teacher of English in the Bronx of NYC.

The term was used in a number of different ways.

"Why you beasting?" is the way I heard it most often, which meant, "Why are you overshooting the mark, in this, the way in which you are conducting yourself so as to not lose face in your vocation?"

But it did become a shorthand that allowed a kind of expression that, though informal, was nonetheless expressive.

For example, a scorned young woman might come into class and say, "F THAT MFing N----- I S----- HIS D--- AND THIS IS HOW THAT N---- TREAT ME?

To which, undoubtedly, someone would say, "O.D.! BEEEEEEAAAAAAAST!"

It's often not something to be taken lightly.

In short, so much of our popular linguistic culture comes from the urban landscape. If you cleanse it from the rotoworld forums, fine, but you must acknowledge you're just insulating yourself from the rest of the world.

I no longer teach in the Bronx. I teach in the suburbs of upstate NY. A kid told me on the first day of school this year that he loves to play Madden. I asked him if he believed in the Madden curse. He said no. I said, "But what makes you think Peyton Hillis is going to overcome the Madden Curse?" He said, "Because Peyton Hillis is a BEAST."

I hope I made some sense here, but I doubt it.

why are you crying about such a meaningless issue? why does it matter who or who isnt worthy of being called a beast?

Yeah, the term beast is annoying for sure. Honestly, the fantasy football forum in general is annoying as hell. Majority of week is dudes discussing their teams and lineup decisions. Who cares really? Only readable on game days.

I never really read the football forum anymore. But, when I do, I just say 'Why?' It's f**king terrible.

+1

Completely agree man...

Not sure how long you have been around these boards....but they used to be top notch. Nowadays we all we have is hyped up sugar addicted internet dweebs fighting with each other.

....This could go in the "vent thread" i suppose...but i needed it t be seen. Some of these dudes need to be called out

why are you crying about such a meaningless issue? why does it matter who or who isnt worthy of being called a beast?

It's just his time of the month and he's a little bloated.

If you are going to look at "beast" in a strict manner, then you should extend it to everything.

-Never categorize a player as a monster, freight train, etc. How can they be such a thing? Utterly ridiculous.

-Never mention that someone turns on the jets or hits a second gear as that is fundamentally ridiculous unless they are some half-robot hybrid.

Furthermore, referring to your girl being a "beast" in bed, an attribute strictly reserved for how a man performs with his woman, have you not heard of the term being an animal in bed?

Metaphors, and to a lesser extent, similes are a perfectly viable literary device, and while I agree with you that it can be overused, to completely abolish it from our general lexicon would be a great disservice. However to abolish it from our fantasy/real sports vocabulary would be a catastrophe with consequences that our minds cannot begin to grasp and our children's children would be paying for long after we're gone.

Completely agree man...

Not sure how long you have been around these boards....but they used to be top notch. Nowadays we all we have is hyped up sugar addicted internet dweebs fighting with each other.

....This could go in the "vent thread" i suppose...but i needed it t be seen. Some of these dudes need to be called out

There is plenty of worthless shiznit, but don't you always get the info you need, despite batches of posts that make you want to deck an old lady?

Not sure how beast is any worse than stud...

Good point. Stud might be worse, because you are implying confidence in the subject's virility and basically giving a high rating to his junk.

Completely agree man...

I've been around for a while bro, signed up in '07.

It just feels like most of the posts during the course of the week are very generic.

"I'm playing Eric Decker over Tampa Mike Williams, and am putting Mo Morris as my flex, and have Jackie Battle as my RB2, think he's going to be a beast, blah, blah, blah, blah."

I guess that's all you can write really when there are no games going on, but it's tough to read, and I go to these forums out of habit more than anything. I've probably been reading these boards too long and am incapable of caring about others' teams or decisions.

....Clearly your in the "Beast" era....carry on with the rest of your kind. We can agree to disagree. I dont wnat to get into a debate with you, because really it would amount to nothing.

Crying?

No

Making a stand...yes.

Good point. Stud might be worse, because you are implying confidence in the subject's virility and basically giving a high rating to his junk.

I always thought stud was used in the most literal sense here. "Calvin Johnson is a STUD. I imagine this dude digs tunnels deeper than Charles Bronson in the "Great Escape" when he gets a lady in the bedroom."

Heheh, what a bunch of cranky old men. As a dad with a teenager and pre-teen (both sons), I'm determined to avoid having to say to myself, "Oh my God I'm starting to sound like my father." Well, to all of you dudes complaining about "beast" and "swag"...

You're starting to sound like my father. B)

If you are going to look at "beast" in a strict manner, then you should extend it to everything.

-Never categorize a player as a monster, freight train, etc. How can they be such a thing? Utterly ridiculous.

-Never mention that someone turns on the jets or hits a second gear as that is fundamentally ridiculous unless they are some half-robot hybrid.

Furthermore, referring to your girl being a "beast" in bed, an attribute strictly reserved for how a man performs with his woman, have you not heard of the term being an animal in bed?

Metaphors, and to a lesser extent, similes are a perfectly viable literary device, and while I agree with you that it can be overused, to completely abolish it from our general lexicon would be a great disservice. However to abolish it from our fantasy/real sports vocabulary would be a catastrophe with consequences that our minds cannot begin to grasp and our children's children would be paying for long after we're gone.

The term should not be "abolished"....it has its moments, and times for usage.

But make it fit. Thats what im saying.

Brandon Jacobs in his prime? Beast....SJax running over LB's in his prime Beast.

But when i hear/see people calling QB's....or scat-back type players "beasts"?.....cmon now. I shiz you not Sea-Bass (A KICKER) has been called a Beast in these threads. If you dig arounf the game threads? There was a time when Reggie Bush was anointed.

Use it when it fits.

GOD DAM YO, EVRYBADY IN DIZ THRED IS MAD BEAAAAAAAAASTIN YO DAT SHIZZ IZ POPPIN LIKE A BEAST YO BLANG BLANG DAAAAAAAAAAAAYUM.

I always thought stud was used in the most literal sense here. "Calvin Johnson is a STUD. I imagine this dude digs tunnels deeper than Charles Bronson in the "Great Escape" when he gets a lady in the bedroom."

But on the literal level, doesn't the word "stud" refer to a horse who has a Johnson even more impressive than Calvin?