Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ray Barboni

BEAST 2011 Season Outlook

Not sure how beast is any worse than stud...

Agree totally...Both are completely overused and beaten to death at this point.

First time I remember hearing the Beast term was for Priest Holmes, it has then exploded from there.

But hearing Matthew Berry refer to someone as a beast, is pretty disturbing.

It happens with any forum that has a big uptick in membership and posting, the bigger the group, the more knuckleheads there are too degrade the overall quality of posts. I have seen is happen a million times with forums that I frequent.

Really people saying "beast" is one of the least problems with this forum, I would rather get rid of the flaming and endless "look at my roster" post that plague almost every popular player thread. Sure there is still some great discussion, and the assistant coach forum can be very helpful. But I will say that in the 2 years I have read this board, and ~1 year as an active poster, I can definitely see a decline in the quality and a increase in quantity of posting whether it be useful or not.

I'm personally pretty sick of all the whining on the forums. I have never seen so much whining. People would rather whine than just ignore everything.

It doesn't matter if they are whining about the quality of the posts (which btw isn't a quality post) or if they are whining about the use of a word that annoys them or if they whine about the quality if their league.

i love how people whine about other people whining about other people trying to have a little fun

I'm personally pretty sick of all the whining on the forums. I have never seen so much whining. People would rather whine than just ignore everything.

It doesn't matter if they are whining about the quality of the posts (which btw isn't a quality post) or if they are whining about the use of a word that annoys them or if they whine about the quality if their league.

I am not whining in the least, I still love this forum and browse/post several hours a day. Just simply saying that when membership increases, you get more "bad seeds". The mods do a great job of keeping useless crap out of the threads, and make sure threads stay on topic. Still there is only so much you can do with a board this size.

I love this thread, and I am pretty new to these forums but I can see what Ray Bones means.

Some posts are well thought out, well, written, well reasoned, and a joy to read. The vast majority, though, just looked like they were tapped out on a smart phone while the author was on the interstate, using no punctuation, capitalization, etc. And they are of only specific interest, i.e. start marshall or little this week? k thnx bye. More of the first type and less of the second is what we need, and I think that is the core point.

Moving to the specific gripe of the thread, I think there are two problems with the use of the term "Beast." One is that it is overused shorthand that substitutes for real analysis. When you need to choose between two similar players, and the response is "start player A because he is a beast," that is not very helpful.

Second, it seems that "Beast" should be reserved for players who embody the traits of an animal, in a good way, over those of a typical human being. Wild animals are so strong and fast that they do otherworldly feats, and players who just physically outmatch their opponents can recall that phenomena.

But for a cerebral, controlled activity like kicking a field goal or reading a blitz and throwing the bubble screen just on time, that is not pure animal physicality but a precise, very human, operation. As Barboni mentioned, it seems ridiculous to attribute the aspects of an animal to these types of plays and players. Now, if Sebastian Janikowski ran down on a kick-off and knocked the opposing kick returner unconscious, he could still be a beast, at least on that play.

I also chuckled audibly, alone here in my basement, at the idea that "lol is the real enemy."

My pet peeve of an overused term is "unbelievable." But that is probably a new thread.

My pet peeve of an overused term is "unbelievable." But that is probably a new thread.

We could always switch to INCONEIVABLE!

Who should I start this week? Jacoby Jones or Davone Bess? PPR, Jones will match up with Finnegan, and Bailey should keep his attention on Marshall

Who should I start this week? Jacoby Jones or Davone Bess? PPR, Jones will match up with Finnegan, and Bailey should keep his attention on Marshall

Start whoever you think is more of a

BEAST

Holben, that word you keep using...I do not think it means what you think it means...

You sound like you have no friends.

Who would have thought this thread would have turned into such a BEAST

And with that.....we can move it to the Off Topic Forum, where it can keep on beastin'......

Arian Foster = Beast