Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Joe Paterno Fired! A Legacy Tarnished.

69 posts in this topic

I don't want this to get into an uncontrollable political discussion. The rules of these forums don't allow it. However, this news is too big to not at least post. My heart and thoughts go out to the victims of the monster that preyed upon Happy Valley. As for Joe Pa? I will simply say that endings are rarely ever fairy tale and often ugly. Still, no one could have seen the ugliness of this. While his firing was warranted, it doesn't make it any less sad with the horror of this situation.

As far as football? I think this is the equivalent of the death penalty. It may take a decade or two for Penn State to recover, if they ever do.....

POS Board of trustees can kiss my ***, Paterno did exactly what was in the scope of his job, He reported it to his boss who then decided not to move on the information not Joe's fault.

They did not even have the DIGNITY to bring Paterno in to fire him they CALLED him and did it, ******

It's just a very tough situation at Penn State. Paterno is a legend, but the school didn't have an option really. Imagine what a circus it would be having Paterno there for the rest of the season with this black cloud hovering relentlessly. It certainly wouldn't be fair to the current players on the team. Any other coach in the country would have been fired much faster than Paterno was. There was so much deliberation only because of what a legend he is. Saban, Les Miles, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown; all those guys would have been fired immediately knowing the circumstances. Nonetheless, it's very tough to see Paterno go out this way. The media is crucifying JoePa worse than that piece of excrement Sandusky, which needs to stop. Paterno was one of many people who didn't fully fulfill their moral obligation to try to stop Sandusky.

As you said Bateman, this is going to be incredibly difficult for Penn State to recover from this. It's going to be a stain that will take a very long time to go away.

As far as football? I think this is the equivalent of the death penalty. It may take a decade or two for Penn State to recover, if they ever do.....

Really? All the guys responsible are pretty much gone. It's not like recruits will be visiting campus and bumping into Sandusky or any other of these guys...

Haven't they wanted to get rid of him for a while anyway? I wonder how much of that sentiment played in to their decision...

Doubt it. The team is 8-1 this season. I'm sure the school would have been perfectly content to let Paterno go out on his own terms.

Really? All the guys responsible are pretty much gone. It's not like recruits will be visiting campus and bumping into Sandusky or any other of these guys...

Then again, the new interim coach worked directly under Sandusky for like 20 years. I bet he had no clue. HA!

Gotta get rid of everyone I guess

The problem will be is that Penn State will become such an easy target in recruiting wars. Opposing coaches can easily sway recruits away from Penn State by citing all of the turmoil going on there. The next five years, at the minimum, will be difficult for the football program.

It will have an impact. This sexual abuse scandal is going to deter a good number of recruits from Penn St.

As for Paterno, good riddance. After reading the statement of facts and the detailed, eyewitness accounts of sexual activity between Sadunsky and these boys, everyone at Penn St that knew about this needs to go, immediately. Disgusting.

National recruits are already canceling trips. Two or three missed recruiting classes can cripple a program for years, especially when you're not a destination program. Programs that are built upon one man's legacy are often difficult to follow. What coach do you think is going to go there? Maybe Al Golden b/c of his situation, but otherwise, the Penn State program is in the gutter. Will it die? Of course not, but I bet it will fall into the measure of also-rans for awhile.....They should eventually rebound but it may take a decade.....Right now, PSU is a punch line. I'm sure you've already heard the jokes going around....

Doubt it. The team is 8-1 this season. I'm sure the school would have been perfectly content to let Paterno go out on his own terms.

Worst 8-1 team in football history right now...... Very poor team playing in a very poor conference playing a very poor schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost the next 3 or at least 2 of them.....

And for anyone who hasn't read the statement of facts, http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011...presentment.pdf. I find it hard to believe that any sensible person will have any sort of sympathy for Paterno and other Penn St official after reading this.

I assume that's the grand jury report. I've read it and it's sickening. If you're going to read it, I'll recommend you prepare yourself.....

Worst 8-1 team in football history right now...... Very poor team playing in a very poor conference playing a very poor schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost the next 3 or at least 2 of them.....

I agree. I'm just saying they would have let Paterno go out on his own terms given the team was still reasonably successful.

POS Board of trustees can kiss my ***, Paterno did exactly what was in the scope of his job, He reported it to his boss who then decided not to move on the information not Joe's fault.

They did not even have the DIGNITY to bring Paterno in to fire him they CALLED him and did it, ******

And then Joe did nothing himself after that. You are naive if you think Joe didn't do all he could in this situation. No sympathy from me. He deserved to be canned. Hard to believe so many people could have known about something and not done a single thing about it.

Pretty much recruits are gonna start backing out of their verbal commitments. This is pretty bad and the board of trustees are just a bunch of PR dudes in suits basically. They want to spin it like they are cleaning house and starting over so they don't lose money. I think Paterno deserved a lot more. He was the reason some of the people in that so called board of trustees were even there.

lifelong penn state fan here, who has no sympathy for Paterno or others involved.

The Board of Trustees didnt make a moral decision- they made a business decision. Paterno went from being an asset to a liability in a matter of days. Alot of them had wanted him gone before but its hard to push out a legend and Paterno had earned the right to go out on his own terms- but no longer.

Those who continue to defend Paterno are blinded by their love of Penn State and Paterno. Mad that they only called him? Campus environment wasnt exactly a safe place to be last night, and if Paterno had picked up the phone and called the police in 2002, none of this would have happened. If Paterno hadnt insisted on staying to the end, the phone call wouldnt have been required.

If Mike McQueary is still coaching on the sidelines on saturday, im going to be physically ill. actually, in light of the reaction on campus last night, some are saying the game shouldnt be played on saturday due to safety concerns.

Even in the end, Paterno wanted to be in control and go out on his terms. How was he going to go on road trips to Ohio State and Wisconsin the next 2 weeks? would have been an absolute zoo. Absolute power corrupts, and the power of Paterno and the football program there was out of control. The fact that janitors would fear they would be fired if they reported the rape of a child???

If you dont care enough to intervene in a situation that involves child abuse, what the hell WOULD you ever get involved in? If McQueary told him Sandusky had murdered a child, would Paterno have done anything? in some ways this is almost worse because you know a child molester looks for more and more victims.

the similiarities between Penn State and the Catholic church are unnerving and disgusting...

penn state football might not just be ruined by this. penn state could be. The financial repurcussions that will come as more and more victims come out of the woodwork, and the cash-cow of penn state football tooks a huge hit, and disgusted parents dont want to send their kids, much less their football playing kids, to penn state, will be huge.

Mike McQueary, the graduate assistant that actually witnessed Sadunksy having sex is still going to be allowed to coach on the sidelines, this Saturday.

His role is described through this exercpt, "....was surprised to find the lights and showers on. He then heard rhythmic, slapping sounds. He believed the sounds to be those of sexual activity. As the graduate assistant put the sneakers in his locker, he looked into the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sadunksy. ...The graduate assistant left immediately, disgraught."

Paterno definitly needs to go, but wheres the logic that allows for McQueary to stay??

There is no logic there. Both need to be gone, period. Flatout embarrassing on his end to just see this happen and run away and not even contact authorities, but instead call his daddy.

Paterno definitly needs to go, but wheres the logic that allows for McQueary to stay??

I agree that McQueary needs to be terminated and I think he will, eventually. I think at this point that the PSU BOT is trying to put out the largest fires first. McQueary is basically a guy that was paid by being promoted up the coaching chain for his silence. I'm not sure how he can live with himself, but I would wager that the entire staff is going to be terminated at the end of the season. They will clean house and McQueary will be tainted for a long time. Try and get a job with that on your resume'. There is probably some legal considerations as well.

I will say that folks that love the program need to brace themselves. It's most likely going to get worse, not better. Here is an interview with Mark Madden who published a story about Sandusky being asked to "retire" in his coaching prime for his silence in a cover up. This was done about 6 months ago and he was pretty much roasted for it. Here are a few things that may be coming back the pipeline. One is a rumor, so it's in the very early investigative process, but if it proves to be true, it could blow up PSU.....Ugly, ugly stuff....

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky...ark-madden.html

National recruits are already canceling trips. Two or three missed recruiting classes can cripple a program for years, especially when you're not a destination program. Programs that are built upon one man's legacy are often difficult to follow. What coach do you think is going to go there? Maybe Al Golden b/c of his situation, but otherwise, the Penn State program is in the gutter. Will it die? Of course not, but I bet it will fall into the measure of also-rans for awhile.....They should eventually rebound but it may take a decade.....Right now, PSU is a punch line. I'm sure you've already heard the jokes going around....

I saw a retweet from an Eagles writer (can't remember which) that said Marty Morningwheg's kid, Skyler, has asked him not to comment on his status. A pretty damning "no comment", if you ask me.

I'll try to find it.

I'm still putting my thoughts together and now that there's much more, and much more sinister, to the story, it may take a while. Suffice it to say, I'm not happy with a lot of people, from the ground up.

Thanks for the link PB. It really makes me mad to see the media trying to put all the blame on Paterno. He really had a miniscule part in it. 99% of the blame should be put on Tim Curry and Gary Schultz. They were the ones that covered it up. McQueary saw the incident, reported it to Paterno, who in turn reported it to Curry the very next day. Paterno then sat down with Curry, his boss, and Schultz again and told them of the report. They were the ones who decided to not tell the police, to not follow up on the report, to lie to president Spanier about the severity of the report, and to punish him internally which by their own admission was "unenforceable". The University is the one that decided to give him complete access to the university facilities even after being investigated for lewd conduct with a child.

"Both the graduate assistant and Curry testified that Sandusky himself was not banned from any Penn State buildings and Curley admitted that the ban on bringing children to the campus was unenforcable."

Let's also keep in mind that these children were apart of Sandusky's personal charity and had no connection with Paterno or the University outside of Sandusky. I highly doubt Paterno ever even came in contact with them.

So what's the complaint? That Paterno didn't call the police? Sure, he could have. But why would he feel the need to? I suspect he trusted his superiors to investigate it and follow up with the police. Let's also keep in mind that he was not the one who saw the incident. Let's say McQeary is lying, or identifies the wrong person, or a number of other things. Paterno is the one who is going to be charged with filing a false police report, and likely fired. If anyone should have contacted the police, it should've been McQeary, the one who actually witnessed the incident. Next on that list is Schultz, who's job description was to oversee the University Police. He never filed a report.

Bottom line, Joe Paterno's job description was a football coach and he was a damn good one. The event had nothing to do with the football team, and he shouldn't have been brought into it from the beginning. He trusted his superiors to take the appropriate actions, and they did not. It's hard for me to see why so much blame is being put on Paterno by the media when there is a whole list of people who played much bigger roles.