Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NateStephens

Best Minor League System

The Devil Rays pretty much run away with the best minor league system right now, thanks in part to Delmon Young still qualifying as a rookie. However, who has the second best farm system?

The Angels have a strong system, with Wood, Adenhart, Conger, Rodriguez, Aybar, Mathis and others, which is quite impressive given how much talent they've graduated over the last year or two.

The Royals have a top-heavy system, with Gordon, Hochevar, Butler, Huber, and Lubanski, but probably don't have the backend talent to compete with the top tier farms.

The Diamondbacks suffer the same problem as the Angels, having graduated a strong group of young players. However, the team is still pretty stacked with Carlos Gonzalez, Justin Upton, Chris Young (still eligible), Montero, Owings, and others.

My team, the white sox, also refurbished their minor leagues this year and are looking good.

John Danks, Nick Masset, Gio Gonzalez, Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney... rotoworld did a topic on it here : http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=27715

the angels, dbacks, and the dodgers seem like they all have pretty good depth in their farms...

Yes sir, all three of those teams come to mind when i think about minor league farm systems. Very good ones. Along with the Devil Rays.

I'd argue that the two Los Angeles representatives have the strongest farm systems. Better, even, than the well-stocked Devil Rays of Tampa Bay.

Despite graduating the likes of Howie Kendrick and Jered Weaver in 2006, the Angels still have some phenomenal talent at the top of their prospect pyramid. Brandon Wood is ready to produce All-Star numbers as a shortstop and could've been introduced to the bigs as a third baseman in 2007, had the Angels not stubbornly refused to move him from SS (where he's blocked, of course, by Orlando Cabrera and has a bit of competition from the slick-fielding Erick Aybar). From the out-of-sight-out-of-mind legion comes Nick Adenhart, who has already had Tommy John surgery at a very tender age. His fastball sinks, his breaking ball bites hard and his command is excellent. He's a legit #2 starter and could make an All-Star appearance or two. The aforementioned Aybar is a walking Web Gem and makes regular contact. Yet another shortstop, Sean Rodriguez, put up a .352/.462/.662 line at Double A. The Angels have two decent catchers in the system, Hank Conger and the down-but-not-out Jeff Mathis. Stephen Marek and Jose Arredondo represent intriguing arms.

Not far away, the Dodgers advanced two excellent arms (Chad Billingsley and Jonathan Broxton) and a promising outfielders (Matt Kemp) but have no shortage of outstanding prospects. LHP Clayton Kershaw recently joined Homer Bailey and Philip Hughes in the holy trinity of starter prospects and has no weaknesses in his game. Scott Elbert's stock has dipped a bit due to questionable control but is another lefty who could establish himself as an upper-echelon SP. Andy LaRoche should hit .300 annually, pop ~20 dingers, and could establish himself as the Dodgers' starting 3B this year, pushing Wilson Betemit into a Freel-style super-utility role. The Dodgers could have dismissed Nomar and given first base to James Loney, owner of a super-sweet swing. Further on are pitchers Jonathan Meloan and Bryan Morris and infielders Preston Mattingly, Blake DeWitt, Josh Bell and Chin-Lung Hu.

Just $0.02 from an amateur prospect watcher.

All excellent farm systems, but I don't think the Dodgers are a top 5 at this point. I love the Angels group of Adenhart, Conger, Rodriguez, Aybar, and Marek, but I'd disagree with your assessment of Wood. His athleticism, bat speed, and power are fantastic and he's a wonderful prospect, but he's going to have trouble hitting over .260 in the majors while making contact so (relatively) infrequently. I also think he's likely to need time to adjust at the big league level, given his current deficiencies. In the long-term, yes, I think he'll be an All-Star, but I don't think he's ready for that just yet.

I'd argue that the two Los Angeles representatives have the strongest farm systems. Better, even, than the well-stocked Devil Rays of Tampa Bay.

Despite graduating the likes of Howie Kendrick and Jered Weaver in 2006, the Angels still have some phenomenal talent at the top of their prospect pyramid. Brandon Wood is ready to produce All-Star numbers as a shortstop and could've been introduced to the bigs as a third baseman in 2007, had the Angels not stubbornly refused to move him from SS (where he's blocked, of course, by Orlando Cabrera and has a bit of competition from the slick-fielding Erick Aybar). From the out-of-sight-out-of-mind legion comes Nick Adenhart, who has already had Tommy John surgery at a very tender age. His fastball sinks, his breaking ball bites hard and his command is excellent. He's a legit #2 starter and could make an All-Star appearance or two. The aforementioned Aybar is a walking Web Gem and makes regular contact. Yet another shortstop, Sean Rodriguez, put up a .352/.462/.662 line at Double A. The Angels have two decent catchers in the system, Hank Conger and the down-but-not-out Jeff Mathis. Stephen Marek and Jose Arredondo represent intriguing arms.

Not far away, the Dodgers advanced two excellent arms (Chad Billingsley and Jonathan Broxton) and a promising outfielders (Matt Kemp) but have no shortage of outstanding prospects. LHP Clayton Kershaw recently joined Homer Bailey and Philip Hughes in the holy trinity of starter prospects and has no weaknesses in his game. Scott Elbert's stock has dipped a bit due to questionable control but is another lefty who could establish himself as an upper-echelon SP. Andy LaRoche should hit .300 annually, pop ~20 dingers, and could establish himself as the Dodgers' starting 3B this year, pushing Wilson Betemit into a Freel-style super-utility role. The Dodgers could have dismissed Nomar and given first base to James Loney, owner of a super-sweet swing. Further on are pitchers Jonathan Meloan and Bryan Morris and infielders Preston Mattingly, Blake DeWitt, Josh Bell and Chin-Lung Hu.

All excellent farm systems, but I don't think the Dodgers are a top 5 at this point. I love the Angels group of Adenhart, Conger, Rodriguez, Aybar, and Marek, but I'd disagree with your assessment of Wood. His athleticism, bat speed, and power are fantastic and he's a wonderful prospect, but he's going to have trouble hitting over .260 in the majors while making contact so (relatively) infrequently. I also think he's likely to need time to adjust at the big league level, given his current deficiencies. In the long-term, yes, I think he'll be an All-Star, but I don't think he's ready for that just yet.

the dodgers are in the top 5 no doubt...

I like the Dodgers. They have a well balanced System. Pitching nad Hitting.

Anahiem has a good system as well.

TWINS!

The Braves system is still pretty good but not top tier anymore because they all came up to the majors in the past 2 seasons. I really think that the Royals are building a great system & will continue to do so with Dayton Moore running the show in KC. He's partially responsible for the building the Braves organization.

As a side note the Dodgers system is pretty good but will soon be destroyed by the short-sightedness of their GM. This guy has been throwing out top talent for useless veterans (see Lugo deal)

The Braves system is still pretty good but not top tier anymore because they all came up to the majors in the past 2 seasons. I really think that the Royals are building a great system & will continue to do so with Dayton Moore running the show in KC. He's partially responsible for the building the Braves organization.

As a side note the Dodgers system is pretty good but will soon be destroyed by the short-sightedness of their GM. This guy has been throwing out top talent for useless veterans (see Lugo deal)

LOL...i couldnt agree with u anymore...i was bashing the dodgers gm ever since he made that deal which made absolutely no sense to me...why trade a prospect for a bench player?...that was ridiculous...i was telling all my friends who are dodgers fans how stupid that trade was...LOL

and now he goes and brings in a powerless luis gonzalez to block even more of their stockpiled prospects...

another system that seems to be stockpiled is the rockies...

another system that seems to be stockpiled is the rockies...

I noticed that to, was watching a game, white sox. vs. rockies spring training.

The rockies SS Lukowitchz (spelling here is bad), seems very nice.

I noticed that to, was watching a game, white sox. vs. rockies spring training.

The rockies SS Lukowitchz (spelling here is bad), seems very nice.

i have no idea who this lukowitchz guy is...lol

are u talkin about tulowitzki?

I would have to say the Red Sox minor league system is definitely on an incline.

I'd put us right there with Kansas City in the "very top heavy" system.

But I mean guys like Jon Lester, Craig Hansen, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Bryce Cox, Daniel Bard all under the age of 25, I would say it's pretty solid.

Buchholz for one is the ace of the future for the Red Sox. The guy has done nothing but improve so far:

Career Stats yearteamlglevelorgagewl%eraggscgshsviphrerhrbbsok/bb 2005Angelina CC Coll 201210.9231.05151572085.2441910 291294.45 2005LowellNYPLABos20010.0002.61151500041.134151229455.00 2006GreenvilleSALABos21940.6922.622121000103.078343010291174.03 2006WilmingtonCarABos21201.0001.133300016.0104204235.75

Oh yeah, he's only 22.

I would have to say the Red Sox minor league system is definitely on an incline.

I'd put us right there with Kansas City in the "very top heavy" system.

But I mean guys like Jon Lester, Craig Hansen, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Bryce Cox, Daniel Bard all under the age of 25, I would say it's pretty solid.

Buchholz for one is the ace of the future for the Red Sox. The guy has done nothing but improve so far:

Career Stats yearteamlglevelorgagewl%eraggscgshsviphrerhrbbsok/bb 2005Angelina CC Coll 201210.9231.05151572085.2441910 291294.45 2005LowellNYPLABos20010.0002.61151500041.134151229455.00 2006GreenvilleSALABos21940.6922.622121000103.078343010291174.03 2006WilmingtonCarABos21201.0001.133300016.0104204235.75

Oh yeah, he's only 22.

The Sox system has improved greatly over the last few years no question.  Still they may not be in the top 7 or 8 still.  Our system is loaded in the lower levels.  Aside from Ellsbury and Pedroia there are not many "prospects" at the near ready level.  Considering Lester, Delcarmen and Hansen (almost) have lost prospect status.

I'd have to put the Indians up there, they've still got some good prospects in there system

I think the Sox minor league system is definately among the best. If not from quantity, than definately quality. Devern Hansack is rarely mentioned, but he is probably the best Minor league SP at this point. He was extremely impressive in his only start last year for the sox with a CG SHO against the O's. In his last two starts for Pawtucket, he's totaled 20K's in 10 2/3 innings, allowed 1ER, 6 H and only 3BB. He's big league ready IMO and I'd really rather see him in there instead of Lester right now. Although it's a possibility that the sox are waiting until next year to bring him up when a spot opens up in the rotation. Clay Buckholz isn't ready yet, needs a few more years but has a ton of potential. Jacoby Ellsbury is going to be a 30/30 guy...