Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dodgerdog

xbox versus playstation - need help buying my kid a xmas present

i have a 13.5 year old stepson who is asking for either an xbox or a playstation for xmas. He mostly likes to play Madden and MLB2k11 and then wants more teen-oriented action/fighting games. He seems interested in the kinect as well.

I know nothing, which one is better? We will be hooking it up either to a 42" plasma in my basement or on a 55" LED 3D TV over at his dad's house.

Any thoughts are appreciated, dodgerdog

Hey DD,

I actually own both but haven't used my XBox in almost a year. I would say the PS3 is the better buy, not only is the online play free as opposed to XBox Live, which has a fee to play online, it also has a built in Blu-Ray player. You're getting an entertainment system not just a gaming system.

Does he play online? Does he enjoy FPS (call of duty, halo, gears of war, resistance) games?

If he wants to play online with friends then I would go with whatever the majority of his friends have because bother systems are similar tbh.

Another to look into is the exclusives each system provides. You can probably google and find a complete list of games that only come out for PS3 or 360. A few off the top of my head that are popular are (little big planet, resistance, uncharted for ps3) and (halo, gears of war for 360).

I have a PS3 and have played the 360 extensively fwiw. I believe the PS3 is less likely to have hardware problems as well. I wouldn't worry about the recent hacking that happened to the PS3 either if an xbox fanboy tries to persuade you to buy a 360 with that as an argument.

For what its worth, I like the XBox exclusive titles better than PS3. Definitely check to see what most of his friends have when it comes to playing online. I have both, but I play XBox more because my friends own that over the PS3 for the most part. Also, and its a dumb reason to pick one console over the other, but when a game is on both consoles, I typically go with the XBox version because of the achievements system over the trophy system for PS3. The only game I got for PS3 over XBox was Madden because I feel the XBox controller is a little too bulky for a game like Madden.

But this is just my opinion as a casual gamer. There are valid reasons to get the PS3, but just remember that graphics aren't everything. It comes down to the titles. Most of the big franchises like COD, GTA, etc will be on both anyways.

Do him a favor and don't even consider a Wii. Nintendo blows.

Highly recommend the PS3. I was an avid Xbox gamer for years. Got the red ring of death and haven't looked back since. The blu-ray player is awesome. You can play old playstation 1 games on it. You can also play hundreds of free games with playstation home. There are endless possibilities. The PS3 Hard Drive can also be easily replaced with any sata laptop Hard Drive. There's endless possibilities with the PS3. And like one poster said, the Xbox is a gaming system, the PS3 is not only a gaming system but it's an entertainment system.

One other cool thing about the PS3 is the fact that it's a computer. Don't take that with a grain of salt, if you are a highly advanced user you could install Linux on the PS3, etc, etc.

Another few things:

• FREE ONLINE PLAY
  • FREE PLAYSTATION HOME
  • Put Music, Videos, Pictures on your PS3 (You can even edit videos on your PS3)
  • Connect with any and all computers on your network from your PS3

I have both and use my xbox way more for gaming. My PS3 is mostly just a bluray player for me. I cant link either with my home CPU's given I own 3 macs and no pcs. It is all preference. I prefer gaming on xbox and PS3 for entertainment ie. Blurays, using the net to stream UFC, WWE PPV's etc.

get him a treadmill.....lot better alternative to video games