Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hunjeebakala

Fantasy ethics...Losing purposely to determine playoff matchups that benefit you

I'm in quite the conundrum right now, i'm the 3rd seed (which is set no matter what tonight) so i won't be getting the bye and i'll be playing the 6th seed next week. Naturally I'm also playing the 6th seed team THIS WEEK (he has Ray Rice) which is currently beating me by 6 points in a ppr league where i have Gates going for me tonight. If he beats me, he becomes the 5th seed and i play someone else who has much more difficult matchups.

I want to bench Gates so I play the guy that's currently ranked 5th. Is this "fantasy ethical"?

I don't think so. Just my opinion, but I think everyone has a responsibility to field a full line-up.

I think you will see two thoughts here. 1 person will say its your duty to put the best team on the field no matter what and how it lands it lands. Others will say that its all strategy and anything is fair as long as it gives your team the best chance to win.

I am somehow a person that is trapped in the middle. I think it is unethical but I don't think its a terrible thing to do. At the end of the day I think you have to do whatever you think is right to put your team in the best position to advance and if that means setting yourself up for an easier matchup then I would do it. Your going to have people complaining and moaning and saying how terrible you are but its not your problem what they think. Just keep in mind though the fantasy football gods have a tricky way of making things like this backfire lol. Good luck!!

is it ethical to bench your entire team the week before the playoffs once ur guaranteed in the playoffs because your "resting" your players? someone in my league is doing that next week before playoffs starts.

if u think itll give u the better chance to win then go for it. u play the matchups when setting ur lineup so why not play the matchups when getting ready for the playoffs.

I think every owner has the responsibility of fielding what they think is their best lineup every week. Owners can take a long term view towards the playoffs and set their rosters accordingly, but there is no justification for trying to throw a game IMO. I'm in the playoffs with a bye and my buddy who I'm playing this week needs to win to get in. I want him to win but I wasn't about to start Matt Ryan over Eli or Santana Moss over Megatron. I definitely wasn't going to put AP in there. It's not fair to the other owners. Attempting to throw a game for seeding purposes isn't quite as egregious but it's definitely bad karma.

Its a fine line. If the move is being made to benefit you 100%, do it. But if any part of it is being done for the purpose of benefitting somebody else, its cheating. Like if you wanted your buddy to make it to the playoffs or wanted to give a friend an easier matchup etc. But if youre doing it for the sole purpose of helping your team down the line, I dont see anything wrong with it.

I would play Gates... I have done this in the past and every time it has backfired. The easier matchup is not always the easiest. Bad fantasy karma too.

Honestly, as a Commis, whenever someone does this, everybody calls the guy out, I understand starting some lesser talented players, but leaving holes in your roster is quite obvious, also, I'm sure the league would rather have you removed than start to have everybody quit over how SHADY the league is, just play your best and have fun, in my experience, fantasy is full of cry babies and somebody will start bitching and set the whole league in an up-rage.

You do everything you can to try and win. If you think you have a better shot at winning the 'ship by diving this week, do so.

Its a fine line. If the move is being made to benefit you 100%, do it. But if any part of it is being done for the purpose of benefitting somebody else, its cheating. Like if you wanted your buddy to make it to the playoffs or wanted to give a friend an easier matchup etc. But if youre doing it for the sole purpose of helping your team down the line, I dont see anything wrong with it.

I agree with this. But I also believe karma will come around......

I would play Gates... I have done this in the past and every time it has backfired. The easier matchup is not always the easiest. Bad fantasy karma too.

Agree.

I actually was going to do this just so I could play the guy(who happened to be the best man in my wedding) that has won like 2 out of 3 years the first round. It didnt effect anyone getting in the playoffs and no one cared cause they want me to take him out early. I asked everyone first which is the key I think.