Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

melloyello

Gerald Wallace 2012 Season Outlook

89 posts in this topic

What do you expect from Crash this year? Is he going to be the injury-prone swingman that tempts us every draft day? Or the fantasy beast that gets points, boards, blocks, and steals?

Where do you think he should be drafted and why?

I don't think he's terrible, but I'm avoiding him. I've studied BBMonster's projections (probably to the point of overanalysis actually), and I have yet to see one metric that I use that ranks Wallace highly. I don't see any metrics that rank him poorly either, but at his price I'm looking elsewhere.

In BBM's 9 cat roto he is a negative in just one category I believe... but I don't really draft guys in round 3 who are balanced across the board like that, as he's not really a stud in any category either. Add to that the glut of swings in Portland, the short season, and Crash's injury prone-ness, and I doubt he'll be on my teams this year. I love his game and even like it for fantasy, but this probably isn't the year where I take any chances on him.

I like him ALOT! Getting traded to Portland, proved a good move for Crash. Although his minutes went down, his FG% (43 to 50%), 3's and steals all went up. I thinks Felton being in Portland will benefit Crash's style of play and I see good things ahead. I rank his SF status one step below, James, Durant and Carmello.

1 person likes this

I accidentally drafted him in rd 5 (internet dropped), hoping he'll be decent, but I don't like anyone in Portland not named Aldridge or Matthews.

GWal is a rock solid pick anywhere outside of the top 35 or so. late 3rd round or anywhere thereafter and you have a solid swing Forward who contributes in steals, blocks & rebounds. he fits in very nicely in Portland and has excellent chemistry with Felton from their days together in Charlotte.

Minutes will be a concern in Portland, with the recent signing of Jamal Crawford. that will have a domino affect on minutes, affecting Batum and Matthews which in turn will cut into GWals minutes. but i also see considerable minutes for GWal at Power Forward some, when Aldridge is spelled or playing Center.

I accidentally drafted him in rd 5 (internet dropped), hoping he'll be decent, but I don't like anyone in Portland not named Aldridge or Matthews.

I said before I was low on him, but Round 5 is about right. Wouldn't have any problem with that.

I've seen him go a couple rounds higher in drafts, which is why I don't like his "price." As an accidental 5th rounder, you at minimum got average 5th round value with some upside.

5th round is a steal for a guy getting you a couple steals and a block along with points and boards. He's going in the 3rd in most mocks that I've done.

My only concern is him getting injured. He'll get his numbers when he plays.

I like him in the 4th but hes been going earlier. As always he's a threat for a 1-1-1 with nearly 50% fgs if he's healthy and at his best. I have been a huge fan over the years but he is very very streaky and really a difficult player to own. He always starts slow and we know how his playing style is conducive to injury. As always owning him is not for the faint of heart!

5th round is a steal for a guy getting you a couple steals and a block along with points and boards. He's going in the 3rd in most mocks that I've done.

My only concern is him getting injured. He'll get his numbers when he plays.

I don't think he's terrible, but I'm avoiding him. I've studied BBMonster's projections (probably to the point of overanalysis actually), and I have yet to see one metric that I use that ranks Wallace highly. I don't see any metrics that rank him poorly either, but at his price I'm looking elsewhere.

Looking at his season stats you are correct ... he's the #39th ranked player.

But with his settings on last 2 months (i.e. when he was with the Blazers) he's the #10 player in fantasy BBall.

Looking at his season stats you are correct ... he's the #39th ranked player.

But with his settings on last 2 months (i.e. when he was with the Blazers) he's the #10 player in fantasy BBall.

Yea, his FG% went up and he got more efficient. 2nd half surge or is playing in Portland conducive to better fantasy success? Believers will have faith that it's the latter. Reportedly Portland wants to play a much more up tempo game this year so that should help his type of game. If he's healthy, he's the ultimate glue type guy that can help in most categories....

He's just so streaky. You never know what G wally will show up.

gwall can be pretty good and i remember he was really dominating in steals as a blazer. his threes also went up a bit, he had some impressive stats as a blazer. 4th round sounds proper, though i can see someone rationalizing grabbing him a round earlier. the guy can be pretty reckless but he actually looks comparatively healthy with all the injuries that franchise has gone through lately.

why the low min today??

He shot 0-5 and was not playing well. Batum and Crawford played very well and earned minutes off the bench.

He shot 0-5 and was not playing well. Batum and Crawford played very well and earned minutes off the bench.

thanks..u never know with Crash, i was worried about an injury..

thanks..u never know with Crash, i was worried about an injury..

Nah, he was in at the end of the game.

He's been my best player this yr...I like Crash so far , I'll take a dud every now and again. He did manage 3 steals tonight, that's a great consolation prize for 0 on FGs and low mins played.

why the low min today??

He was completely ineffective and the guy behind him (Batum) was ballin.

1 person likes this

Crash guarding Black Mamba and still having a great line. Really like this guy in Portland.

He's going to have a top 15 year. He's ranked 22 on the year in 9-cat leagues, and that's including a couple of relative duds.

Admittedly a small sample size, but he was a top 10 player as a Blazer last year. And that was when Portland had the 27th slowest offense in the league.

This year they are 2nd in offensive pace. That can only help a player like Wallace who flourishes in the open court.