Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canilogon

Ryan Anderson 2012 Season Outlook

632 posts in this topic

Is this guy worth an add in a 10 man league. I think he will put up good numbers with Howard there and could be very good if Howard leaves Thoughts??

I would love to get him in the last round. Threes, blocks, and boards with decent percentages and is pf/c eligible. He also performs much better coming off the bench so I think he will have a very good year. Just be ready to deal with the occasional 3-8 1 three, 4 rebound line.

i like him a lot. He's under the radar and doesn't even need to start to be really valuable. If he gets like 5 or 6 more minutes a game, he's already a top 60 or so player

A poor man's bargs at a fraction of the pricing

i got him for a dollar in 2 of my leagues and couldn't be more thrilled. hoping for 30 mins a game.

Yeah, ya like the 3's. What happens if/when DHow leaves? That means Anderson probably gonna have to man up and grab some boards. Perhaps he can be somewhat as proficient close to the basket as he is away from it. Word is he bulked up some and took boxing/martial arts in the offseason. However, once a player is soft they probably always will be. I wouldn't guarantee on anything other than 3's from him. Everything else is a gravy. Like him tons more than Baby, or ex-Bass though for that matter.

1 person likes this

boards will go up

no one is allowed to rebound when dwight is on the floor

Yeah, that's a fair assessment.

If Jeff Foster can get rebounds, no reason Anderson should not either.

Is this guy worth an add in a 10 man league. I think he will put up good numbers with Howard there and could be very good if Howard leaves Thoughts??

You're assuming of course that the Magic won't get another big man (or two) in return for Howard. My opinion is, that's not a very good assumption to make because they certainly will get big/s in return.

Anderson's good as he is now. But his future will depend on which bigs the Magic get for Dwight and how Van Gundy re-adjusts the team following the departure of the league's most dominant center. If they get Brook Lopez for example who is less physical than Dwight, Van Gundy might find Big Baby's physicality to be more suitable at PF (like Kris Humphries is doing now). Just one scenario to consider.

I'm expecting Channing Frye numbers with better boards and blocks. Is that asking too much considering Frye was taken in the 70s and Anderson closer to the 140s?

I'm expecting Channing Frye numbers with better boards and blocks. Is that asking too much considering Frye was taken in the 70s and Anderson closer to the 140s?

Definitely too much. PHO offense runs through Nash who is a ball distributor. ORL offense runs through Dwight who will shoot first. Not to mention the PHO offense is faster and relies more on outside shooting. So guess which one out of Frye and Anderson will get more shot opportunities.

^^^ Frye got 10.7 shots a game in 33 minutes last year. Anderson for 8.2 shots in 22 minutes. Anderson will get more shot opportunities this year.

Last year's per-36 minute numbers:

Frye: 13.8 points, 2.4 threes, 7.3 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.7 steals, 1.1 blocks, .432 FG%, .832 FT%, 1.0 turnovers

Anderson: 17.2 points, 3.4 threes, 9.0 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 0.8 steals, 1.0 blocks, .430 FG%, .812 FT%, 1.2 turnovers

When they're on the floor, they basically put up the same production, except Anderson is way better in points, threes, and rebounds. The only problem is that the two don't play equal minutes. Frye has gotten 27.0 and 33.0 minutes per game the last two years, and Anderson only got 14.4 and 22.3 minutes per game each of the past two years (despite arguably being Orlando's second-best player in 09-10 and indisputably so in 10-11... damn it, Van Gundy!). That all seems to be ending this year, though. The most recent RW blurb says:

Stan Van Gundy is undecided on his starting power forward.

Despite SVG not yet having named a starter, he said that both Anderson and Glen Davis will each be "probably playing about 30 minutes a game each." Anderson holds more fantasy intrigue because of his ability to hit it from beyond the arc, but Davis should hold appeal as well as long as he's getting the burn.

If Van Gundy keeps his word, we're looking at a fantasy star. With 30 minutes per game, he'll have top-40 value in 9-cat, and that's with some regression in three-pointers. Top 25 is definitely possible. Just covering my bases for when he goes Dorell Wright on us and everyone's saying, "nobody saw this coming!"

If Van Gundy keeps his word, we're looking at a fantasy star. With 30 minutes per game, he'll have top-40 value in 9-cat, and that's with some regression in three-pointers. Top 25 is definitely possible. Just covering my bases for when he goes Dorell Wright on us and everyone's saying, "nobody saw this coming!"

Exactly bro. I've drafted him in all of my leagues. He's going to blow up.

Last year's per-36 minute numbers:

Frye: 13.8 points, 2.4 threes, 7.3 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.7 steals, 1.1 blocks, .432 FG%, .832 FT%, 1.0 turnovers

Anderson: 17.2 points, 3.4 threes, 9.0 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 0.8 steals, 1.0 blocks, .430 FG%, .812 FT%, 1.2 turnovers

When they're on the floor, they basically put up the same production, except Anderson is way better in points, threes, and rebounds. The only problem is that the two don't play equal minutes. Frye has gotten 27.0 and 33.0 minutes per game the last two years, and Anderson only got 14.4 and 22.3 minutes per game each of the past two years (despite arguably being Orlando's second-best player in 09-10 and indisputably so in 10-11... damn it, Van Gundy!). That all seems to be ending this year, though. The most recent RW blurb says:

Agreed 100% Rico, Chandler of the east and he's going to beast! People seem to forget that he led the Pac-10 (Was only the Pac-10 then) in scoring in his final college season. The kid has plenty of potential.

I like Anderson as much as anyone (I own him in pretty much every league), however:

1) Who's to say SVL keeps his word in regards to Anderson's increased PT? I think Baby is a better player than Bass, which doesn't bode well for Anderson.

2) If in fact Anderson does see an increased role, and plays 6-10 mpg more, will his production wane with extended minutes?

Just saying.

I like Anderson as much as anyone (I own him in pretty much every league), however:

1) Who's to say SVL keeps his word in regards to Anderson's increased PT? I think Baby is a better player than Bass, which doesn't bode well for Anderson.

2) If in fact Anderson does see an increased role, and plays 6-10 mpg more, will his production wane with extended minutes?

Just saying.

I think he'll get 25-30 mins regardless. ORL only really have him, Davis and Dwight as their bigs. And Anderson went through a stretch last season when he was really productive when he averaged those mins (coming off the bench). And that brings me to my next point. Ive just been looking at his game log from last season and he just disappeared in the latter half of the season, even though he was still getting mins.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4483/gamelog;_ylt=Ao6smoWRIvrDDI6NWVMeA23gPaB4

See for yourselves. Starting from about Feb 11 onwards. You'll see quite a few 25-30 min games where he does absolutely nothing all of a sudden. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm debating dropping Arron Affalo or Jared Dudley for Ryan Anderson....any thoughts? How would you rank the three?

there were stretches last year where anderson was a top 20 player on the player rater (first month of the season or so). is he a top 20 player? no, but if given the mins, he will perform. he's talented and most people don't realize how young he is.

Already regretting sleeping on this guy since he is PF/C eligible. I see a season like what Channing Frye has done the last 2 years.

Basically a center-elligible Peja Stojakovic in his prime. Love this guy.