Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homerj24

Jaime Garcia 2012 Season Outlook

233 posts in this topic

Jaime had a huge first couple months in 2011, but struggled down the stretch. He's not a very imposing guy on the mound & doesn't overpower anyone. However he was still able to maintain a K/9 of 7.21 & lowered his BB/9 to 2.31 (from 3.53 in 2010). He gets a good amount of ground balls 53.6% also. You have to love pitchers that don't walk hitters & gets 72%+ of his outs by GB or K. A 66.8 LOB% tells us that he was unlucky. Jaime is entering his 3rd season in the league and should reach the magical 500 IP plateau. I'm liking the bargain here and I'm expecting a very nice season.

1 person likes this

He had that start in Coors that really blew up his numbers too, similar to that Bumgarner start. 11 earned runs. Take it away and his ERA was 3.10, and yes I know you can't just take away a start but its still worth noting.

he's going really late

i never like this guy much, but he seems like he's being big time undervalued

should we worry about the innings load, having pitched into october last year?

plus factor in no dave duncan.

5 IP and 9 K's so far today. Almost seems like a mistake - but he has thrown 39 pitches - 39 strikes and 0 balls. Thats crazy!!!!

1 person likes this

5 IP and 9 K's so far today. Almost seems like a mistake - but he has thrown 39 pitches - 39 strikes and 0 balls. Thats crazy!!!!

Wait, what? Is that true?

well this is what he actually did

Garcia was dominant in five innings of shutout ball today. He had nine strikeouts and no walks. He only allowed three singles on the day. It was a stark contrast from his last start where he couldn’t find the plate and was knocked around. In this one he threw 54 of his 74 pitches for strikes.

It's only spring training. The Nats put up a sad lineup even for AAA. The first few starts were against more legit lineups, so you can't gauge anything from these starts. You can throw strikes all day and baffle weak hitters easily in spring.

He is a sabermetric god.

Yep, everything points to him taking another step forward- good strikeout rate that should be even higher based on his SwStrike%, tons of ground balls, good walk rate. All that said, there is something about him where when things start to go bad he loses it and things tend to snowball on him. He can go 6 shut out innings then give up 5 hits and 2 homers in the next inning. Also look at how many unearned runs he had last year- whenever his defense screwed up (which happened all the time thanks to Theriot) he would lose it. If he can avoid those blow up innings he has a chance to make another big jump forward.

Not sure how to feel when one of my pitchers gets the B lineup behind him. One, he probably knows that Cueto ain't giving up much so he better come with his A game. On the other hand, he might also think he a smaller margin for error and have greater pressure. Welp, go get'em Jaime with the quasi-Memphis RedBirds behind you today.

Yeah it sucks Beltran, Berkman, & Freese are out of the lineup. Hoping he can have a nice game and get a QS with nice ratios. A win would be a plus today.

Not sure how to feel when one of my pitchers gets the B lineup behind him. One, he probably knows that Cueto ain't giving up much so he better come with his A game. On the other hand, he might also think he a smaller margin for error and have greater pressure. Welp, go get'em Jaime with the quasi-Memphis RedBirds behind you today.

I'm with you on this but I know how I feel. It sucks.

Paging Matt Carpenter, Matt Holiday, and Yadi Molina...

This pisses me off. Why do you bench your hottest hitter (Freese)? Man, these managers are so pussified these days. Oh, boohoo, it's a day game after a night game.

Ah, poor Cueto couldn't hold his 0.00 ERA? Good, 3 runs should give Jaime some breathing room to pitch.

Also, to add something beyond just Cardinal rooting. Jaime's struggles last year were on the road. SSS, I know. But I was sort of just hoping him to "survive" these early starts @MIL and @CIN. Hopefully JG still does his damage in Busch Stadium.

Ah, poor Cueto couldn't hold his 0.00 ERA? Good, 3 runs should give Jaime some breathing room to pitch.

Yeah...everybody can stop whining now.

I had him last year, overall it was a pleasure but he's prone to meltdown innings like that one. It seemed to happen once every few games. When it got bad it was ugly!

single......single.......bunt single by Valdez.....single.........another bunt single by Valdez. Ugh. Reds radio made it sound like the one XBH by Votto should have been caught by Holiday. Oh well, some day they hit'em at someone, some days they don't. Guess I'll go hang out with the Masterson and Danks owners at the WHIPing post.

He gave up 10 singles and 1 double in less than 5 innings yet somehow only allowed 3 runs. He should be fine going foward.

At home and rolling as usual. Crazy how this guy is such a gamble on the road but so consistantly good and efficient at home. The opposing team doesnt seem to matter at home but any team can kill him on the road.

Also, to add something beyond just Cardinal rooting. Jaime's struggles last year were on the road. SSS, I know. But I was sort of just hoping him to "survive" these early starts @MIL and @CIN. Hopefully JG still does his damage in Busch Stadium.

Another good 7IP QS vs a team he owns (6-1 lifetime record going on 7-1, Votto/Phillips/Bruce suck vs him historically). ho hum

Anybody rolling him out against the Cubs in Chicago? If it was at home this would be a no-brainer, but on the road...eh.

Anybody rolling him out against the Cubs in Chicago? If it was at home this would be a no-brainer, but on the road...eh.

i don't have the luxury of selecting which Garcia starts I go at, but maybe this helps. Wind blowing in 15 mph at the Ivy Barn? Coolish temperatures.

http://www.digitalliquid.com/ballpark/

Soto and Soriano are in funks, Byrd is gone, LaHair is a lefty. Anyways, I'll let you make you're own call. Maybe someone will chime in with the umpires tendencies or something else to convince ya. Not being facetious or anything....good luck on your choice.