SwisherHouse

What are you listening to?

I'm "bumpin" it old school with some Elton John.

ehhhh, not really sure where to start here, Milt have any ideas? B)

I am listening to...Citizen Cope...as we speak.

It should be a well known fact that Wayne recycles his stuff so much it sounds so much the same. I don't understand how people think he's the best.

He's definitley the most overrated MC of this generation.

He's definitley the most overrated MC of this generation.

hey swish, dunno if you're a fan of z-ro but have you checked out the new ABN?

hey swish, dunno if you're a fan of z-ro but have you checked out the new ABN?

I have it but have only listened to it once. Z-Ro and Trae have always been two of my favorites. I was kinda dissapointed they put "no help" on this album as it seems like it has already appeared on both a z-ro solo and a trae solo album. "still gets love" is my favorite track after the one listen. "still throwed" was a good concept to redo that bun record, but I dont think track worked for them, which is odd because z-ros chorus on the original is what made that song.

By the way, one of my favorite z-ro songs of all time: "burbanz & lacz" w/ lil flip.

you saying that primo and others of his ilk cant produce laid back, chill beats? primo, pete rock and extra p's beats hit me like a metronome and make me completely zone out and really get me into the lyrics. to me, that style of heavy drummed, subtle jazz sample with chops, stabs and scratches based hip-hop suits nas to a T. hes got a grimey voice and a poetic, fragmented, non-sequitor style full of imagery. those "metronome" beats are perfect for him.

besides, nas will never sound right over hyped beats cuz his flow isnt that versatile.

nas' lyrics are guided, angry and on point. his flow is still effortless, but im not getting anything from them. im glad hes actually trying to say something, but in the end is he really saying you havent heard before? its like the dude is trying to be chuck D, but hes far from that. IOW, i disagree with your opinion that he's kicking "knowledge." its like socio-cultural bitching for dummies. have you actually ever heard him speak or try to explain his concepts outside of the studio? he sounds retarded, so i dont take him too seriously. but thats not a huge qualm of mine, at least hes saying something else. that being said, i stopped listening to hip-hop for the lyrics a LONG time ago. when it comes to MC's im more about voice, flow, cadence, cleverness, and patterns. nas still has that, so i still respect him as an MC. he just makes terrible albums cuz he has no ear for beats.

im not expecting another illmatic, im just expecting halfway decent beats that arent this bland and generic so i can actually make it through one of his songs.

BTW, that sample on "you cant stop us" has been used by at least 3 other mcs (doom, ill bill, rza...and more that i cant think of right now). that interpolation of the sample is the worst ive ever heard.

i loved 90s hip-hop. i grew up on that stuff so i still hold onto the genre even though i listen to all types of music. to me, that music was timeless and ages well becuz of the level of musicality and the raw, more organic quality of the hip-hop back then. nas' selection of beats (again, outside of "fried chicken") is typical of today's hip-hop. its robotic, synthetic, artificial and lacking in soul. the beats on this particular album are even worse becuz theyre so damn boring.

i'll wait for someone to do nas' mc'ing justice. this album is terrible.

Nas should have quit after Illmatic. The album is a top 10 hiphop album & is like a movie that never should have had a sequel. The beats, stories, lyrics, rawness & flow still makes for a great listen. I wish everyone could realize how good hiphop was in the 90's & how awesome Yo! MTV Raps was compared to what is out today. Now I refuse to listen to anything "hiphop", which is such a loose term. I mean I have heard people put so many pop artists in hiphop. And meanwhile Kool Herc sits in his small 1 bedroom apt. while people like lil wayne, lil chingy, lil bow wow, lil flip & whatever other crap is out there reap the benefits of many great pioneers. I am not near as bitter as I use to be in regards to todays hiphop and do realize it might be a generation thing. Good to see Common gettin paid, but he will never outdue Resurrection.

I have now begun to just dig crates for old funk, soul, reggae, blues, old school hiphop, rock, and any break beats that I might stumble upon from time to time. I was into the underound hiphop scene for awhile, but even that lost it's luster to me in the end. If anyone would like to check out a great lyricist in the genre, check out Sage Francis. He is about the only newer MC that has continued to put out music that I will continue to buy....also an incredible live performer. There are a few others I follow, but hiphop has really become tired & a disappoinment to me. Plenty of good DJ's & B-Boys still out there though B) .

How many hiphop heads does it take to screw in a light bulb?----->3

One to screw in the light bulb & two to argue how the older one was better......

A good joke & fitting, imo.

Nas should have quit after Illmatic. The album is a top 10 hiphop album & is like a movie that never should have had a sequel. The beats, stories, lyrics, rawness & flow still makes for a great listen. I wish everyone could realize how good hiphop was in the 90's & how awesome Yo! MTV Raps was compared to what is out today. Now I refuse to listen to anything "hiphop", which is such a loose term. I mean I have heard people put so many pop artists in hiphop. And meanwhile Kool Herc sits in his small 1 bedroom apt. while people like lil wayne, lil chingy, lil bow wow, lil flip & whatever other crap is out there reap the benefits of many great pioneers. I am not near as bitter as I use to be in regards to todays hiphop and do realize it might be a generation thing. Good to see Common gettin paid, but he will never outdue Resurrection.

I have now begun to just dig crates for old funk, soul, reggae, blues, old school hiphop, rock, and any break beats that I might stumble upon from time to time. I was into the underound hiphop scene for awhile, but even that lost it's luster to me in the end. If anyone would like to check out a great lyricist in the genre, check out Sage Francis. He is about the only newer MC that has continued to put out music that I will continue to buy....also an incredible live performer. There are a few others I follow, but hiphop has really become tired & a disappoinment to me. Plenty of good DJ's & B-Boys still out there though B) .

How many hiphop heads does it take to screw in a light bulb?----->3

One to screw in the light bulb & two to argue how the older one was better......

A good joke & fitting, imo.

that is so ignorant bro. it pains me and upsets me when I hear ppl say how they refuse to listen to hip hop these days cuz of guys like lil wayne, soulja boy, etc etc etc. most heads accept the fact that the MAINSTREAM game is pretty f--ked up, but to suggest there's no good hip hop out is so foolish and ignorant imo, esp if you're not even giving MCs a chance. I was born in 85, and the 90's era was what got me into hip hop and obviously was the greatest era of all time for rap, but i fell in love with the music, and i could never just stop like that, esp when there's still great MC's putting out material today. Here's a list off the top of my head of some artists out i think are great for hip hop...

Nas

Common

Ghostface (probably the most consistent rapper in the last decade)

Lupe Fiasco (one of the bright young stars)

Royce 5'9 (album produced by PREMO coming in september i think it is, gonna be ridiculous)

Blu & Exile (one of the albums of the year last year, amazing for a 21 year old, just amazing..underground though)

Little Brother (sorta underground, but they're already pumped out 2 classics, 'The Listening' & 'The Minstrel Show')

Jedi Mind Tricks (underground)

Sean Price (underground)

Eminem (minus Encore!! he's got a new album coming early '09 which he'll cover serious issues like proofs death etc, it will be nice)

The Roots

many more!! esp in the underground scene. plenty of good hip hop still. i def play tons of 90s s--- still, like any head, but don't sleep on hip hop in this era just cuz you're too ignorant to listen to whats actually real. who cares whats bangin on the radio?? let the kids listen to that.

edit: i also listen to such mainstream artists like kanye west and the game, who are decent lyracally (aside from kanye's latest album) and get amazing production.

Edited by MiggyManCrush

that is so ignorant bro. it pains me and upsets me when I hear ppl say how they refuse to listen to hip hop these days cuz of guys like lil wayne, soulja boy, etc etc etc. most heads accept the fact that the MAINSTREAM game is pretty f--ked up, but to suggest there's no good hip hop out is so foolish and ignorant imo, esp if you're not even giving MCs a chance. I was born in 85, and the 90's era was what got me into hip hop and obviously was the greatest era of all time for rap, but i fell in love with the music, and i could never just stop like that, esp when there's still great MC's putting out material today. Here's a list off the top of my head of some artists out i think are great for hip hop...

Nas

Common

Ghostface (probably the most consistent rapper in the last decade)

Lupe Fiasco (one of the bright young stars)

Royce 5'9 (album produced by PREMO coming in september i think it is, gonna be ridiculous)

Blu & Exile (one of the albums of the year last year, amazing for a 21 year old, just amazing..underground though)

Little Brother (sorta underground, but they're already pumped out 2 classics, 'The Listening' & 'The Minstrel Show')

Jedi Mind Tricks (underground)

Sean Price (underground)

Eminem (minus Encore!! he's got a new album coming early '09 which he'll cover serious issues like proofs death etc, it will be nice)

The Roots

many more!! esp in the underground scene. plenty of good hip hop still. i def play tons of 90s s--- still, like any head, but don't sleep on hip hop in this era just cuz you're too ignorant to listen to whats actually real. who cares whats bangin on the radio?? let the kids listen to that.

edit: i also listen to such mainstream artists like kanye west and the game, who are decent lyracally (aside from kanye's latest album) and get amazing production.

Ignorance is being uninformed sir. I'm pretty sure I am not uninformed. I am just tired of it. I have heard most of the artists you listed. Nas, only Illmatic and a few other singles. Common was one of my favorite rappers but wasn't too into the albums after Resurrection. The Like water for Chocolate was the end for me. He is smart enough to understand the shelflife of most MC's is short & is getting into acting. You will also see many MC's getting into production, etc because they understand it's hard to keep putting out dope ish. I mean Public Enemy was one of the greatest ever and their stuff got wack....it happens. Ghostface-I listened to the older Wu-Tand stuff a ton, but again Ghostface is at the end. He has so many terrible guest artists that I can't take it. I'm good with the Ironman lp bro. Most of the next artists I have heard some of there stuff and not impressed what-so-ever. The Roots are great. Eminem was dead to me when he signed with Dre. Liked the underground stuff some & actually saw him at Scribble Jam when he was makin waves. So to see him sign with Dre was a letdown. I have some Jedi 12 inches, nothing great.

I am much older than you and take pride in knowing the histroy of hip hop. It was not music originally. It was a style. The elements of this music can still be found, but it has been abused imo. I don't try to hate on these artists unless it's blaring in the car next to me. Back in 2000 when I started going almost strictly underground and studying the history, it used to really bug me. Take some time to check out some documentaries of this thing that used to be hiphop and you will see. One thing I am not is ignorant about is where this stuff came from and I know enough to know that I dont like it. There will maybe come a day when you feel the same way. It's watered down and tired to me. I am more than happy to find gems from the generations past. You dont need to be mad, cause these artists are livin the life from their music. And meanwhile the 100's of individuals that did so much to create this genre dont have squat. That should be more upsetting to you. And yes I still do listen to up and comers from time to time when I visit different blogs and download mixtapes. I am not impressed bro. You can say you don't agree, but can't call me ignorant. You are entitled to your opinion and I honestly don't care what you listen to. All I ask is that you study the past all the way back to when this style was being born. I was listening to rap before you were born. There is an entire generation between us. It makes a difference. But please refrain from calling people ignorant without thinking of the true definition and knowing the other person a little better.

Peace

lol I know what the word ignorant means. when ppl say "Now I refuse to listen to anything "hiphop", which is such a loose term" while also sending the msg that hip hop these days is garbage...how is that not ignorant?? You're clearly speaking on a subject (contemporary hip hop) you lack tremendous knowledge on, considering you said you don't listen to hip hop anymore. or maybe you're maybe you're taking in 2nd hand knowledge on todays hip hop to formulate your opinion which is just as bad.

-how is common 'starting to understand the shelflife for MCs is short' when he just dropped an album last summer lol. a good album at that.

-and trust me bud i'm far from mad that you're not enjoying good hip hop, just confused how one can just turn a blind eye to it because of ridiculous songs they hear on the radio or club (mentioned in your previous post). i'm not even sure why you mentioned those artists when no hip hop head actually takes them seriously.

-and lol, please stop with the 'i was listening to rap before you were born' journey you're taking me on, its going nowhere. you'd think someone with your age and wisdom wouldn't think they are superior just b/c they started listening to hip hop b4 I was born.

-you mention all this stuff about the history, i know a decent amount, cool herc, etc...but i dont see how this helps me enjoy the *music* more. I simply am in love with the art form of hip hop. you say watered down?? please give me examples. i could post pages and pages and pages of verses that are so powerful just from ONE artist, Nas (post illmatic B)) that would suggest the opposite. i'm tired of hearing the same cliches from ppl, such as yourself, who aren't even listening to real hip hop, saying hip hop is garbage now. most mainstream hip Pop is garbage. but please provide me with reasons why you think some of the artists I mentioned are watered down. and maybe even provide me with this hip hop from your era b4 I was born that is so far superior too.

I am currently much too busy and preoccupied to leave a much more meaningful opinion in this enlightening discussion, but I must say that I love A Tribe Called Quest.

lol I know what the word ignorant means. when ppl say "Now I refuse to listen to anything "hiphop", which is such a loose term" while also sending the msg that hip hop these days is garbage...how is that not ignorant?? You're clearly speaking on a subject (contemporary hip hop) you lack tremendous knowledge on, considering you said you don't listen to hip hop anymore. or maybe you're maybe you're taking in 2nd hand knowledge on todays hip hop to formulate your opinion which is just as bad.

-how is common 'starting to understand the shelflife for MCs is short' when he just dropped an album last summer lol. a good album at that.

-and trust me bud i'm far from mad that you're not enjoying good hip hop, just confused how one can just turn a blind eye to it because of ridiculous songs they hear on the radio or club (mentioned in your previous post). i'm not even sure why you mentioned those artists when no hip hop head actually takes them seriously.

-and lol, please stop with the 'i was listening to rap before you were born' journey you're taking me on, its going nowhere. you'd think someone with your age and wisdom wouldn't think they are superior just b/c they started listening to hip hop b4 I was born.

-you mention all this stuff about the history, i know a decent amount, cool herc, etc...but i dont see how this helps me enjoy the *music* more. I simply am in love with the art form of hip hop. you say watered down?? please give me examples. i could post pages and pages and pages of verses that are so powerful just from ONE artist, Nas (post illmatic B) ) that would suggest the opposite. i'm tired of hearing the same cliches from ppl, such as yourself, who aren't even listening to real hip hop, saying hip hop is garbage now. most mainstream hip Pop is garbage. but please provide me with reasons why you think some of the artists I mentioned are watered down. and maybe even provide me with this hip hop from your era b4 I was born that is so far superior too.

As I think it is obvious that hip hop is not at its all time high in 2008, theres some good stuff out there. While I might not like the artists that are mostly responsible for the typical hip hop head distaste for current MC's, I have respect for them. Soulja Boy is a multi-millionaire off a youtube video, some dance moves, and a beat he made himself with a demo version of FL Studio. I respect that dudes hustle and would never talk ish to him.

The element that current hip hop lacks is something I cannot even specify. My favorite MC's of all time are Bun B and Pimp C, Raekwon, Scarface, Q-Tip, Nas, and Rakim. Theres not many of those type of guys around anymore. Even though I was not old enough to be heavy into hip hop during these guys prime I listen to them more than anything.

The next generation MC is something that cant really be defined. I think Lupe is in a class all by himself right now. I do not think many current guys can touch him in any way. The Cool is one of the best albums Ive heard in years. The other artists that are helping to keep hip hop alive are Kanye West, Royce Da 5'9, Chamillionaire, Saigon, Joell Ortiz, Blu & Exile, Phonte (Little Brother), Naledge (Kidz In The Hall), Bishop Lamont, and Young Chris. Also check out this dude Charles Hamilton. He just signed one of the biggest deals of all time with Interscope and dude has grown on me a little bit. Check out his track "Brooklyn Girls".

I can understand how some of the older guys cant get into todays music, but theres enough good material out there of dudes that stay true to hip hop.

-you mention all this stuff about the history, i know a decent amount, cool herc, etc...but i dont see how this helps me enjoy the *music* more. I simply am in love with the art form of hip hop. you say watered down?? please give me examples. i could post pages and pages and pages of verses that are so powerful just from ONE artist, Nas (post illmatic B) ) that would suggest the opposite. i'm tired of hearing the same cliches from ppl, such as yourself, who aren't even listening to real hip hop, saying hip hop is garbage now. most mainstream hip Pop is garbage. but please provide me with reasons why you think some of the artists I mentioned are watered down. and maybe even provide me with this hip hop from your era b4 I was born that is so far superior too.

I'm really not interested in trying to change your mind and trust me you wont change mine. I'm sure you do know more about the artists these days. It doesnt take long for me know what I don't want to hear. All the artists you listed I have heard and made comments on. These debates are exactly what I have avoided for several years now. It does nothing for me. I am not taking 2nd hand knowledge. Go to HHB, a blog that everything that comes out. I don't enjoy the music. Thats it.

You said when you were born and yes I was listening to hip hop music then. I dont mean anything besides the fact that it is. If you don't think the genre is watered down, thats fine, but it's true. There are WAY more rappers puttin out records now than there were 10+ years ago. Hence, it's watered down. A & R's and record companies are trying to make all they can while it's selling. You can post all the verses you want and I read the Nas verse that Chris Wills responded to. I would rather listen to an old PE record than that.

So besides the rappers you listed which was kind of all over the place, who else is "real" hip hop. I am sure what you feel is real is different than anybody else, so again it goes nowhere. Go do research on all the music from the 80's & 90's. I dont have the time to sit here and list them. I am sure all that you listen to now will be what you are fighting for in 10 years. Or maybe you will still "be in love with the art form". And if you are in love with it, go back and watch documentaries and read books about the past. Will it make you enjoy the music more? Hell I don't know. Maybe not, but to me it's really good knowledge that can be taken however. But if you love it so much, then I would say to read up.

And to say hip hop heads do or dont enjoy things is impossible. Because they are all over the world. Hip hop is a worldwide thing man. In fact, the MC's overseas tend to have quite an understanding of what's up and how to flow. Again, this is such an opinion-based argument that it's pointless to me. I know where I stand. Maybe 10 years from now you will be in the same boat? Maybe you will still be in "love" with the art form as you called it? Time will tell. I got tired of it. I am more into the Djing and B-Boying, with an occasional freestyle battle.

And I heard Common's last album, didn't like it. He has been in more movies than dropped records in the recent past. That should tell you something. I loved the Blackstar album, but what happened to Mos Def & Talib Kweli? Mos made an ok album, then some garbage and he has been makin as many movies as he can. How about Black Eyed Peas? Saw them in a small venue and they were solid. They were breakin on the stage. Now their act is a female vocalist that is the driving force of the group and has got way too much shine off of them. It's safe to say she wasn't at the show I saw. There have plenty of discouraging things I have seen and heard over the past several years. So I don't dig as deep as I used because of those things, not to mention I do enjoy listening to it. I told you what I am listening to mostly. I have downloaded a few hip hop albums lately and continue to stay up on the several artists, but just continue you be blah about most of the hip hop. And I can tell you their lyrics, beats, originality and style far exceed Lupe Fiasco imo.

How I try to end these discussions are...you listen to what you like and I will do the same. I never said what I listen to is better or I am better than you. And notice I didnt type one lol because I didnt laugh at anything. It just doesn't get any simpler than I got bored with it. You can take that however you like man.

And yes, Tribe was a BIGTIME favorite of mine until the Beats, Rhymes album. A great example of a group that made 3 INCREDIBLE albums to me and just fell off completely. It happens because its hard to keep banging out dope records that one can play straight thru to me. Heard anything from Fife or Q-tip lately? I'm not sure, but I don't think so cause their time is done.

Oh yeah, buy vinyl. That's the only thing I tell people to buy & it can be whatever vinyl you want.

I'm out of this dicussion for good man. Too many bad memories

Nas ethering fox news...

"I use Viacom

As my firearm

And let the lyrics split you

Who do you rely upon?

They shoot shells at Leviathan

I'm dealing with the higher form

f--- if you care how I write a poem?

Only Fox that I love was the red one,

Only black man that Fox loves is in jail or a dead one!

Red rum

Political bedlam

Don't let the hype into your eyes and ear drum

Murdoch on Fox

Not 18 with Barracas

And he hate Barack cause

He march with the marchers"

B) nas 17 yrs after he spit his first verse back in 91...still a lyrical mastermind. his new album lyrically is as powerful and real as ever.

I'm really not interested in trying to change your mind and trust me you wont change mine. I'm sure you do know more about the artists these days. It doesnt take long for me know what I don't want to hear. All the artists you listed I have heard and made comments on. These debates are exactly what I have avoided for several years now. It does nothing for me. I am not taking 2nd hand knowledge. Go to HHB, a blog that everything that comes out. I don't enjoy the music. Thats it.

You said when you were born and yes I was listening to hip hop music then. I dont mean anything besides the fact that it is. If you don't think the genre is watered down, thats fine, but it's true. There are WAY more rappers puttin out records now than there were 10+ years ago. Hence, it's watered down. A & R's and record companies are trying to make all they can while it's selling. You can post all the verses you want and I read the Nas verse that Chris Wills responded to. I would rather listen to an old PE record than that.

So besides the rappers you listed which was kind of all over the place, who else is "real" hip hop. I am sure what you feel is real is different than anybody else, so again it goes nowhere. Go do research on all the music from the 80's & 90's. I dont have the time to sit here and list them. I am sure all that you listen to now will be what you are fighting for in 10 years. Or maybe you will still "be in love with the art form". And if you are in love with it, go back and watch documentaries and read books about the past. Will it make you enjoy the music more? Hell I don't know. Maybe not, but to me it's really good knowledge that can be taken however. But if you love it so much, then I would say to read up.

And to say hip hop heads do or dont enjoy things is impossible. Because they are all over the world. Hip hop is a worldwide thing man. In fact, the MC's overseas tend to have quite an understanding of what's up and how to flow. Again, this is such an opinion-based argument that it's pointless to me. I know where I stand. Maybe 10 years from now you will be in the same boat? Maybe you will still be in "love" with the art form as you called it? Time will tell. I got tired of it. I am more into the Djing and B-Boying, with an occasional freestyle battle.

And I heard Common's last album, didn't like it. He has been in more movies than dropped records in the recent past. That should tell you something. I loved the Blackstar album, but what happened to Mos Def & Talib Kweli? Mos made an ok album, then some garbage and he has been makin as many movies as he can. How about Black Eyed Peas? Saw them in a small venue and they were solid. They were breakin on the stage. Now their act is a female vocalist that is the driving force of the group and has got way too much shine off of them. It's safe to say she wasn't at the show I saw. There have plenty of discouraging things I have seen and heard over the past several years. So I don't dig as deep as I used because of those things, not to mention I do enjoy listening to it. I told you what I am listening to mostly. I have downloaded a few hip hop albums lately and continue to stay up on the several artists, but just continue you be blah about most of the hip hop. And I can tell you their lyrics, beats, originality and style far exceed Lupe Fiasco imo.

How I try to end these discussions are...you listen to what you like and I will do the same. I never said what I listen to is better or I am better than you. And notice I didnt type one lol because I didnt laugh at anything. It just doesn't get any simpler than I got bored with it. You can take that however you like man.

And yes, Tribe was a BIGTIME favorite of mine until the Beats, Rhymes album. A great example of a group that made 3 INCREDIBLE albums to me and just fell off completely. It happens because its hard to keep banging out dope records that one can play straight thru to me. Heard anything from Fife or Q-tip lately? I'm not sure, but I don't think so cause their time is done.

Oh yeah, buy vinyl. That's the only thing I tell people to buy & it can be whatever vinyl you want.

I'm out of this dicussion for good man. Too many bad memories

ok well i'll keep this short considering the discussion is over. i wasn't trying to 'make you like' new hip hop though. i solely had a problem with you insinuating hip hop now is garbage and watered down, at the same time as you saying i don't listen to hip hop anymore. period. opinion is opinion, but you need to listen to formulate one, or not state an opinion. but anyway you said you do listen occasionally so it's whatever.

yes its watered down BY DEFINITION, as in less concentration of 'great hip hop'. and yes you need to maneuvre thru the trash to find good hip hop a LOT more than back in the 90's. but I don't abandon something I love, and I truly love hip hop. and there's still GREAT hip hop out there that gives me chills even sometimes. hip hop is so unique to any other music and i don't mind working a little harder to find good music.

and i don't need to do research on the golden era of hip hop...i have all of those albums and am still addicted to most of them/play them regularly. but here's the thing, and its one of the biggest things i hate about hip hop fans, really bugs the sh-t outta me and you hinted at it. i'll try to use an analogy. lets say you're a diehard baseball fan. its your absolute passion and LOVE of life to goto games and watch your fav team, and fav player ever barry bonds. well one day, you showup at AT&T, just as barry is tied with the all time HR record. bottom of the 9th, tie game, sacs full, 2 out, full count, barry's up. they cant walk him obv. he smashes a walk off HR, you catch the ball, its one of the best moments of your life. now...are you gonna stop going to baseball games b/c there will never be a moment as good as that?? are you gonna stop liking baseball b/c every moment will be GREATLY inferior to that one?? that would be absolutely absurd IMO. ppl always want to compare nas albums to Illmatic, arguably the best hip hop album of all time. retarded. ppl don't want to listen to hip hop b/c the 90s was better?? whatever its your perogative. but one must ask whether or not the love for hip hop was there to begin with, or just love for certain MCs (aka barry bonds in the analogy if dude decides to never go back to the park).

maybe a bad analogy, but you get the point. anyway thats cool that you don't like todays hip hop. im sorry if i came off like a salesman, just hard for me to understand i guess. i'm curious to know WHY ppl think the way they do thats all.

do you rip or trade vinyl?

Eric Prydz - Pjanoo

Song so awesome if you're into house at all. Heard it in Vegas and can't get enough.

Edited by spundin

mixed bag today:

crystal antlers EP (prod by mars volta's keyboardist)

al green's latest album

jay electronica mixtape

A$$holes by nature album

sigur ros' new one

and notwist-the devil, you + me

do you rip or trade vinyl?

I haven't done any ripping of vinyl. I just borrow the ripped vinyl that others are so nice to share. I am actually going to liquidate some vinyl here real soon to clear some room and make a little cash. I do have some awesome blogs I visit almost daily that keeps the mp3's very fresh with older stuff mostly. Let me know if interested in the few blogs that I find very nice and also if interested in the sale of some vinyl. They will be on ebay soon and I can pm the blog sites(lots of old awesome funk) if you wish.

Word

I haven't done any ripping of vinyl. I just borrow the ripped vinyl that others are so nice to share. I am actually going to liquidate some vinyl here real soon to clear some room and make a little cash. I do have some awesome blogs I visit almost daily that keeps the mp3's very fresh with older stuff mostly. Let me know if interested in the few blogs that I find very nice and also if interested in the sale of some vinyl. They will be on ebay soon and I can pm the blog sites(lots of old awesome funk) if you wish.

Word

nah just wondering if you were down to trade. just link me to your e-bay if you ever put those up. im always looking for more vinyl.

i've been buying 12"s since i was maybe 13. couldnt tell you how many pieces i got, but if you're looking for somethin lemme know.

i got a bunch of breakbeats, funk and electro, but my specialty is mid 90s (94 to early 98) indy hip-hop.

i know which blogs you're referring to...my buddy used to be one of the main contributors in that circle.

nah just wondering if you were down to trade. just link me to your e-bay if you ever put those up. im always looking for more vinyl.

i've been buying 12"s since i was maybe 13. couldnt tell you how many pieces i got, but if you're looking for somethin lemme know.

i got a bunch of breakbeats, funk and electro, but my specialty is mid 90s (94 to early 98) indy hip-hop.

i know which blogs you're referring to...my buddy used to be one of the main contributors in that circle.

I need to get my vinyl game up. I dont have anywhere close to the amount I need, and being a sample based producer like myself, you can never have too much vinyl. Theres nothing quite like the feeling of buying a couple crates of old records without even knowing the contents and just going home, playing them, and searching for samples.

Awesome man. Sounds like you have a nice taste. I like your style man. You probably have the pieces I will be selling, but I will let you know regardless. Impressive to say the least that you started collecting vinyl so young. I was way late on getting my decks and starting to collect.

Props