SwisherHouse

What are you listening to?

J. Cole's first album is an instant 5 mic classic imo. For those who dont know, he's the first artist signed to Jay-z's new label. For all the real Hip Hop Lovers I recommend buying this album strongly. A few quick samplings.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTVwrWOvqJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKm5XwEsS8w...feature=related

Heard of him first a while back when he made a song with B.o.B. called Gladiators. He is rap's truth but if he wants to make it big, he needs to bring in some catchy choruses and not keep doing his own. I like his beats and delivery and everything else and I do agree he could bring hip hop back in a big way... but so did Big L, Rakim, Immortal Technique and some others. Doesn't mean they got famous.

But yeah, The Warm Up and FNL are definitely already classic mixtapes.

• Like 1

metal on concrete outside my house, dont know wtf is making the noise but its awful

The later parts of this rare take were used as the foundation for Revolution 9. You can tell as the song progresses. One of the rarer Beatles songs to squeak out of the vaults lately. ;)

Lately Ive been listening to Mumford and Sons and Old Crow Medicine show. I really like the bluegrass, folk feel of Old Crow Medicine show and they have some great lyrical work in their music. Mumford and sons provides much of the same folk feel with some bluegrass stylings mixed in, which is odd for a band from Britain. The usage of banjos, fiddles, mandolins and other non contemporary instruments by both bands is pretty solid and when someone can rock out on a banjo, its a great sound to behold.

Mumford and Sons:

Old Crow Medicine Show:

I'm not the biggest Fleetwood Mac fan, but I've never skipped this song when it comes on. It makes me feel like Tony Montana. :P

Also been on a Van Morrison renaissance lately. I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like him.

Very diverse forum. Right now I am on and A$ap Rocky splurge. Also listening to Cafe Tacuba, Los Enanitos Verdes, Vampire Weekend, and Gym Class Heroes.

Very diverse forum. Right now I am on and A$ap Rocky splurge. Also listening to Cafe Tacuba, Los Enanitos Verdes, Vampire Weekend, and Gym Class Heroes.

I haven't heard of the two Spanish bands (I need more exposure to international music), but I like the others. I don't listen to much Vampire Weekend because they remind me of my awkward and sexually repressed AP Literature teacher (jeez, the years have really passed), but Travie is great, with or without his band. If you like A$ap Rocky, I'm guessing you're also a fan of Childish Gambino? And if you like Gambino (and the personal tales he weaves), then you'll also dig XV. This is my favorite song by him:

These lines, specifically, are insane:

Rep the 316 I’m 7 30 in the mind

I’m that dude hands down, 6 30 when I rhyme

I’m a 235, always in my prime

And it’s 4.15, meaning it’s my time

The entire song is fantastic, though - one of my favorite rap songs and rappers by far.

Here's another great one. It's probably his most personal song, definitely the most emotional:

Heres some Cafe Tacuba

Heres some Enanitos Verdes

That XV song was great. He reminds me more of a Lupe Fiasco. Lyrical with a lot of meaning behind his music.

Edit: Listened to more XV and I see the A$ap comparison.

Yea im a Childish/Glover fan.

Im also listening to that new Kanye God Flow.

Edited by Theoneupper

Cafe Tacuba sounds like a more chilled out, kid-friendly, Spanish version of the Chili Peppers. I feel like ballroom dancing to a live band with a mandolin piece when listening to them, as... questionable... as that sounds. Good find, though!

"Lamento Boliviano" is a good song, but the music video is strange, to say the least. It almost plays out like a collage of "The Top 50 'WTF?' Moments in Telenovela History!"

I speak Spanish (not 100% fluently), so I find the lyrics to be a little funny. They have a much more Romanticist ideal than you'll really find in the American culture, although I guess that comes with the territory of singing in one of the Romance languages.

To keep going with the international theme, I'll go with some movie soundtracks (I write reviews for movies, so I've gone through a wide variety of genres).

This is a song I heard in Primal Fear (a movie I strongly recommend to everyone - Norton's first role, for which he received an Academy nomination):

It's a Portuguese piece that I find to be haunting.

This is a song I heard in an Indian-American movie called New York:

It's my favorite non-English piece. I speak Hindi as well (though, again, not 100% fluently), but you don't need to know the language to feel the emotion, which is morose, regretful, and absolutely heartbreaking. Roughly translated English subtitles included anyway (with clips from The Notebook, apparently).

Currently listening to Metallica's day 2 performance at the Orion Music Festival

Derek Trucks. For those not in the know, and that enjoy Southern rock/blues style music, hes a GOD. Duane Allman reborn, this kid is amazing. Check out his youtube stuff playin w rock legends at the age of 12?!?!? Has his own band (w/ wife Susan Tedeschi, great singer) and has been the lead guitarist for the Allmans since he was 17. Eat your heart out Dickey Betts, this kid is waaayyyyyyy better.