Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barbosa

Paul Millsap 2011-2012 Season Thread

203 posts in this topic

Season hasn't started and Corbin is talking about maybe bringing Millsap off the bench. He's also dealing with some tendinitis issues. Every rankings list I've seen has him invariably ranked top 40 or top 45, some even higher. I took him with my 5th round pick since I felt he was the best value on the board but I'm regretting even taking him that late.

Most troubling issue: how incredibly crowded Utah's frontcourt is. Derrick Favors may start getting solid minutes, Al Jefferson is still there, Enes Kanter will get some minutes, Mehmet Okur here and there. Millsap supposedly has been working on his range to play more minutes at the 3 but even that position is kind of stacked. Hayward, CJ Miles, and Josh Howard all will play some minutes there.

Am I missing something? A trade would likely help him out.

hopefully the thing about him not starting is for motivational purposes only. i don't see him not starting but i too am hoping for a trade.

What is the floor with this guy? I see his stats and see stud. I hear the guys a hard worker. But then I hear theres a logjam of bigmen in Utah. I got this guy in the 7th round last night and I just need to know what his floor is for the overall season.

What is the floor with this guy? I see his stats and see stud. I hear the guys a hard worker. But then I hear theres a logjam of bigmen in Utah. I got this guy in the 7th round last night and I just need to know what his floor is for the overall season.

I got him in the 7th too so while concerned, I don't think it will end up being a terrible pick. He was late 3rd round value last year, getting 34 mins/g. That seems unlikely, but I still like his chances of at least 29mins. I think that puts him around 6th to 7th round value still, so all hope is not lost.

EDIT: His best case would probably still be a trade.

Good point, the okur trade hopefully clears things up a little bit. I agree as long as he gets 29 minutes per he should put up some solid stats I mean most of his value comes from the FG% reb and steals.

Can someone please explain to me why a PF who last year averaged 17.3-7.6-2.5 with 1.4 SPG and 0.9 BPG who shot 53 FG% and 76 FT% is suddenly losing his playing time? What did I miss?

He is losing playing time because he is not a very good defender, primarily because he is undersized for the position. He is losing playing time because Favors is looking better and better and deserves more time. I don't think anyone is saying that Millsaps is going to be benched, just that his minutes are going to be cut from the 35-40 range to the 30-35 range. Millsap is still going to be a very good power forward, but from everything that is coming out of Salt Lake City, Favors is going to be play some minutes. From the games I have seen here are my thoughts:

AJeff: best all around player, average defender

Millsap: best offensive threat, limited defender due to size

Favors: average offensive threat, best defender and rebounder

Kanter: only seen 2 games so far, tough to tell, looks solid, but not spectacular

If the Jazz choose to start Favors it probably won't affect Millsap's numbers as he will come in and be the primary scoring option on the 2nd unit. Millsaps and Jefferson are pretty much guaranteed 30 minutes if they are healthy. Favors probably gets around 20-25 until he proves he deserves more.

He is not a bad defender. She just gets into trouble sometimes because he is undersized for the position. Favors on he other hand is an oversized PF that has high end athleticism.

it seems that the best thing would be for milsap to get traded. what are the chances of that and to whom?

I don't see Utah dealing any more frontcourt depth, so you can probably get that out of your mind.

Derrick Favors, Kanter, Millsap and Jefferson still have to contend with the force that is Kyrylo Fesenko!

Millsap fell to me last night and I was more than happy to take him where I got him.

Everyone is pretty scared that the emergence of DF will limit his minutes but I still see him getting 30+ minutes a night. If he gets that he should be able to produce at a 5th round level.

Hopefully, Favors will be in foul trouble early and often. And even when he's not in foul trouble, they'll be sliding him over to center on plenty of occasions. As a Millsap owner, I'm not concerned.

The good thing if you are a Millsap owner is that he has a track record of playing well off the bench historically.

According to RW, Millsap is a game-time decision with a quad injury. Combine that fact with Corbin saying his lineups are based on matchups, and I don't think it's panic time just yet. I'd still expect Millsap to be the regular starter, and remember that he was ranked 23rd in only 34.3 mpg last year, so it's not like his value is predicated on maintaining a huge minute total or anything.

Favors was in foul trouble last year most nights and the Jazz frontcourt is very deep with Kanter, Big Al, Millsap and Favors. Situation on the draft was simply the same and Jazz HC said, he plans his starting-5 on match-up-situation.

Favors is a great talent longtime, but outside a dynasty or keeperleague 1-2 years to early for Favors.

1 person likes this

Not sure how this one is shocking guys. They draft two bigs very high in the draft. Until someone gets traded, the only one with any value is Jefferson and even he was probably going too high.

They've got just enough talent to kill everyone's value.

Hopefully, Favors will be in foul trouble early and often. And even when he's not in foul trouble, they'll be sliding him over to center on plenty of occasions. As a Millsap owner, I'm not concerned.

So, you're not concerned about him playing 28 minutes instead of 35 ?

Mmm, ok