Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LinceArmStrong

Zach Randolph....

guys, i only started participating in this ranking list recently....how have you let Randolph drop to 75???!! He is one of the best power forwards in basketball....yes new team is usually a negative, but cmon?? Hes gonna go 3rd round in my h2h pts league....

Zach is nice on paper but fantasy wise 9-cat roto/h2h Zach is not so useful. He does give you nice %s 20 and 10, but his turnovers are too high, and for a PF he doesn't block a shot, and I think that's a huge negative for a big man. Pts and rebs are easier to come by. But I respect your points league ranking, I just noticed that guys with high FG% seems to be ranked high in your points league how many points do you give for FG?

Zach is nice on paper but fantasy wise 9-cat roto/h2h Zach is not so useful. He does give you nice %s 20 and 10, but his turnovers are too high, and for a PF he doesn't block a shot, and I think that's a huge negative for a big man. Pts and rebs are easier to come by. But I respect your points league ranking, I just noticed that guys with high FG% seems to be ranked high in your points league how many points do you give for FG?

im sitting here with my mouth open.....Zach avg'd 47 fantasy pts per game in my league last year (on par with guys like Anthony, Brand)......plus hes a great free throw shooter which makes me scratch my head even more....but if hes bad in the 9 categories, then thats it.

Field Goal pct has no signifigance in my league.....heres my scoring system:

Scoring for Categories 2PM - Two Pointers Made 2 points 3PT - Three Pointers Made 3 pointsAST - Assists 2 points BK - Blocks1 pointFT - Free Throws Made1 point ST - Steals 2 points TD - Triple Doubles10 pointsTO - Turnovers-1 pointTRB - Total Rebounds2 points

I would draft him in a h2h league, but not a roto. No blocks and a really poor % from a PF, not to mention a TO machine. I won't touch him in a roto.

I guess guys are just tired of being burned by him. I don't see him faring well in NY at all. He struggled mentally in Portland where the fans are very mild. I think NY fans will eat him alive. Teaming him with Starbury and Curry is a death sentence for a guy used to being the number 1 option the last several years. I think 14 and 8 could be a possibility and he gets no blocks and shoots a crappy % for a PF. Last year was a career year at 23 points, he was at 18 before that, and that was with no other options on that sad Portland team. I think in NY, he is the third option and very unhappy about it. When Zach is unhappy, he plays even worse and passes even less.

But, you never know. Maybe playing in front of NY fans will keep him motivated and he can stay out of trouble for a full season. Stranger things have happened. That is my reasoning though. I would love to hear from others.

I would draft him in a h2h league, but not a roto. No blocks and a really poor % from a PF, not to mention a TO machine. I won't touch him in a roto.

I guess guys are just tired of being burned by him. I don't see him faring well in NY at all. He struggled mentally in Portland where the fans are very mild. I think NY fans will eat him alive. Teaming him with Starbury and Curry is a death sentence for a guy used to being the number 1 option the last several years. I think 14 and 8 could be a possibility and he gets no blocks and shoots a crappy % for a PF. Last year was a career year at 23 points, he was at 18 before that, and that was with no other options on that sad Portland team. I think in NY, he is the third option and very unhappy about it. When Zach is unhappy, he plays even worse and passes even less.

But, you never know. Maybe playing in front of NY fans will keep him motivated and he can stay out of trouble for a full season. Stranger things have happened. That is my reasoning though. I would love to hear from others.

so...in these roto or category leagues, you guys use PF, SF, SG etc as the standard??? I just use guard, forward, center...

Im not drafting him this year cause of the move to NY...I'll let one of the Knick fans in my league have him....i was just SHOCKED at pick 75 we are taking guys like Battier, and Granger over him!

im sitting here with my mouth open.....Zach avg'd 47 fantasy pts per game in my league last year (on par with guys like Anthony, Brand)......plus hes a great free throw shooter which makes me scratch my head even more....but if hes bad in the 9 categories, then thats it.

Field Goal pct has no signifigance in my league.....heres my scoring system:

Scoring for Categories 2PM - Two Pointers Made 2 points 3PT - Three Pointers Made 3 pointsAST - Assists 2 points BK - Blocks1 pointFT - Free Throws Made1 point ST - Steals 2 points TD - Triple Doubles10 pointsTO - Turnovers-1 pointTRB - Total Rebounds2 points

Well, he is absolutely made for that type of league then. For one, Blocks are one of the hardest things to get in a regular Roto format. I would think that they would be worth more than 1 point. That is a huge plus right there. And % is the other thing. You need to get % from your PF period. Guys that have Zach in a roto are lucky to finish top 5 since they just finished near the bottom in blocks and FG % and possibly TO's. You can't tank 3 out of 9 categories and win. The only thing he gives you in points and boards and those are by far the easiest things to find on the waiver wire.

Your league basically doesn't count one in FG % and almost makes Blocks and TO's irrelevant by not accounting for their number quantity in comparison to the other categories since blocks are one of the hardest things to get and TO's the most difficult thing to avoid. If your league made Blocks worth +3, and turnovers -2 or -3, then that would be more on par with what most standard roto guys are facing with Zach.

Well, he is absolutely made for that type of league then. For one, Blocks are one of the hardest things to get in a regular Roto format. I would think that they would be worth more than 1 point. That is a huge plus right there. And % is the other thing. You need to get % from your PF period. Guys that have Zach in a roto are lucky to finish top 5 since they just finished near the bottom in blocks and FG % and possibly TO's. You can't tank 3 out of 9 categories and win. The only thing he gives you in points and boards and those are by far the easiest things to find on the waiver wire.

Your league basically doesn't count one in FG % and almost makes Blocks and TO's irrelevant by not accounting for their number quantity in comparison to the other categories since blocks are one of the hardest things to get and TO's the most difficult thing to avoid. If your league made Blocks worth +3, and turnovers -2 or -3, then that would be more on par with what most standard roto guys are facing with Zach.

his fg% last year was 47%...thats not great, but its not terrible either....plus he has an 82% ftp

we only give 1 pt per block cause big men are already of great value in my league, so we try to even it out for the guards by doing that, and giving 2 pts per steal

Thanks for explaining to me.....

And in Battiers defense he is a Roto beast. I used to be like how the heck is this guy ranked so high hes not all that great but man u can plug him in at utility and he can really be a positive factor for u in pretty much every stat and hes a low turnover guy too.

so...in these roto or category leagues, you guys use PF, SF, SG etc as the standard??? I just use guard, forward, center...

Im not drafting him this year cause of the move to NY...I'll let one of the Knick fans in my league have him....i was just SHOCKED at pick 75 we are taking guys like Battier, and Granger over him!

Yeah, in a standard league, I think it is PG, SG, G, F, SF, PF, C, C, Util.

Guys like Battier are constantly ranked high by yahoo because numbers wise, they contribute way more to the really tough categories like 3's, steals, FG% and blocks. Areas where Zach just doesn't contribute. Points have far less value in a roto although they are very important, but like I said, they are the easiest thing to find. Finding a guy that gets you 2 threes, 1 steal, 1 block, and 2TO or less while still scoring is almost impossible. They use a formula to figure it all out and is based on the averages of every NBA Player. I figured it out last year and the ideal roto league guy would only need to average 14.6 points a game to win scoring for you. I lost the list, but it was very surprising. I wish I hadn't lost it, but basically, you needed guys that shot over 45% and less than 2 TO's on avg. I took 5 different standard leagues and compiled it. So, if you figure that most guards are well below the avg in %., you really need your PF to be well above 45% to get a high score in the category. Same for TO's. If you have Zach, you need a guy like Battier to get you some blocks and fill the other categories while not turning the ball over a lot or you are already in trouble. That is where his value lies. I think a guy like Granger has a shot at being one of those guys that is a roto darling this year because he will fill everything way above the average except assists.

Personally I hate using turnovers as a stat. It is the only stat that hurts teams for getting better. The better the player u get the worse u do because they always have the ball in their hands. My keeper league uses A/T ratio and it is so much easier to manage and to control. Turnovers are an almost uncontrolable stat.

Basketball to me is alot like baseball. To succeed u need well rounded players. I try and build my team around those types of guys. I mean on one team alone I own Garnett,Lebron and Marion. These guys get u practically every stat and in my league where we use A/T ratio they dont hurt u when it comes to turnovers really at all. Which to me is the way it should be.

Basketball to me is alot like baseball. To succeed u need well rounded players. I try and build my team around those types of guys. I mean on one team alone I own Garnett,Lebron and Marion. These guys get u practically every stat and in my league where we use A/T ratio they dont hurt u when it comes to turnovers really at all. Which to me is the way it should be.

how the hell do you have those 3 guys...keeper??

im starting a keeper rule this year, where you get to keep 1 player that you draft from rds 7-14....then next year, you keep that player in the round you got him in prior year.....cant drop, trade the player, and obviously waivers arent eligible.....we do the same thing in baseball, except there its 2 players from rds 6-25.....

Personally I hate using turnovers as a stat. It is the only stat that hurts teams for getting better. The better the player u get the worse u do because they always have the ball in their hands. My keeper league uses A/T ratio and it is so much easier to manage and to control. Turnovers are an almost uncontrolable stat.

I agree, but I disagree. It is an area that I will definetly pay way more attention to this year and I think it is what separates the sharks from the guys just drafting good players. If you draft a guy like Steve Nash, you know you have mass assists, but also a lot of TO's. That opens you up to focus on guys like Josh Howard or Deng later in the draft to even it out. If you ignore TO's completely, they will kill you. You have to know the guys that never turn the ball over but are studs like those two, or Kevin Martin (I gathered that guys aren't high on him, but he never forces things and lets the game come to him), Marcus Camby, the before mentioned Battier, etc. If you don't know this going in and you draft Eddie Curry, Corey Maggette, Ben Gordon, Zach Randolph (all great H2h guys that add almost nothing in Threes, Blocks, Steals, Assists to offset the TO's) then they will kill you in roto. Edit- Yes, I know Gordon gets threes before Mustache Toes even responds.

The difference between h2h and roto in basketball is so much greater than in any other sports comparison like baseball.

With that in mind, I wouldn't argue Zach going high in the draft because he is a 20-10 guy, but that is when I snicker a little if it is a roto and early and just keep looking for the stat stuffers.

Marion is a great comparison. To the h2h guys, he must look like a silly #1 pick compared with Lebron, Kobe, and KG. To Roto guys, he has been a pretty clear cut choice the last couple of years. He wins roto leagues. Fills everything with NO negatives.

how the hell do you have those 3 guys...keeper??

Definetly a keeper. We had huge rosters last year and I do mean huge. I made some pretty good moves based off of that fact and dealt depth away in bunches to land star players. I did well with FA so it helped alot in making those moves.

I drafted A.Stoudemire in the 1st rd actually last year. Got made fun of. I have him too as well as Nash running my point. Your probably saying to urself how the heck can that league be competetive/ fun and truth is I only won by 3 points. This year we switch to H2H with smaller rosters. Obviously the moves I made last year will play out much better for me in this format.

I believe in a trade rule.......for me at least. No matter the deal I always deal for the best player. 2-1, 3-1 whatever the case may be. I always try to get the best player. U do that enough times and the players u start to acquire become chips for the next deal and the next deal etc..

I got Lebron for Allen who I drafted and R.Lewis who I had dealt for. Id go through the rest but really no point. I did that already last year and people mocked me for it.

That's crazy. Are you one of those guys that completely sells out and trades 3 quality guys to the contender for a league title when you are out of it so that you get the top picks going into next year instead of finishing strong? It's either that or a 5 team league, or a 10 year keeper and you drafted all of them in their rookie seasons. Explain this one. That's nuts.

Definetly a keeper. We had huge rosters last year and I do mean huge. I made some pretty good moves based off of that fact and dealt depth away in bunches to land star players. I did well with FA so it helped alot in making those moves.

I drafted A.Stoudemire in the 1st rd actually last year. Got made fun of. I have him too as well as Nash running my point. Your probably saying to urself how the heck can that league be competetive/ fun and truth is I only won by 3 points. This year we switch to H2H with smaller rosters. Obviously the moves I made last year will play out much better for me in this format.

I believe in a trade rule.......for me at least. No matter the deal I always deal for the best player. 2-1, 3-1 whatever the case may be. I always try to get the best player. U do that enough times and the players u start to acquire become chips for the next deal and the next deal etc..

I got Lebron for Allen who I drafted and R.Lewis who I had dealt for. Id go through the rest but really no point. I did that already last year and people mocked me for it.

I get it. I just don't think it would fly in my keepers. They get the value of the top guys. It is almost impossible to move any of the top guys off of teams.

That's crazy. Are you one of those guys that completely sells out and trades 3 quality guys to the contender for a league title when you are out of it so that you get the top picks going into next year instead of finishing strong? It's either that or a 5 team league, or a 10 year keeper and you drafted all of them in their rookie seasons. Explain this one. That's nuts.

Its funny I actually did explain it all last year and guys ripped me apart for it and I got pissed and took it down/deleted the post.

I drafted well. Traded away alot of my sleeper picks for Billups. Traded Bargnani for Camby to someone who had excess big men. Took Billups n turned him into TMac then took TMac and turned him into R.Lewis who I eventually packaged with my 2nd rd pick R.Allen to get Lebron. That would explain Camby and Lebron. Makes sense right.

Like I said I drafted A.Stoudemire and kept him all year.

I drafted Roy and had gotten Bynum cheap at the start of the year. Both broke out and I dealt em for Odom who I then used to get Garnett in another deal. I'll come back to this one actually.

At the start of the year I got AK-47 on the cheap for Maggette(drafted)and a few others and used him in package to get CP-3 who I then used in a package with Kevin Martin to get Gilbert Arenas. Martin I got just as he was really breaking out via trade. Traded some depth to get him though I dont recall who. I had wanted Marion all year and the guy who had him needed a guy like Arenas desperately so we swapped. So now we have A.Stoudemire,Camby,Lebron, and Marion covered.

Back to Garnett. I had gotten Odom like I said earlier. I took Odom and dealt him to the disgruntled owner of AK-47. I had dealt him AK-47 earlier on in the year if u recall. I got AK-47 and D.Lee for Odom and I believe Rondo who was a FA pickup of mine. I kept D.Lee and packaged AK-47 along with J.R Smith,Jameer Nelson and I forget the other guy though he was pretty good whoever he was and dealt for KG. Dont ask me why the guy wanted to deal KG but he put him on the trading block and wanted depth to make a move in the standings. I offered him the best depth at the time. So now we have A.Stoudemire,Camby,Lebron,Marion,D.Lee, and KG covered. We keep 10.

LOL. Now heres where Im gonna get yelled at. I traded for Dirk very early in the year. I gave Randolph when he started out scorching,A.Miller,J.Crawford,G.Green and M.Webster for him. Like I said I dealt depth in bunches for stars. So u can add Dirk to the previously mentioned group of 6. We are up to 7.

I had drafted Marbury like 4th or 5th rd. I dealt him for Hinrich during the year. I took Hinrich and I dealt him to the team who had CP-3 and Nash after he put Nash on the block saying he wanted to get younger. I dealt him Hinrich and someone pretty decent though I dont recall for Nash. Thats 8.

9 is J.Terry. I ripped a guy off for Bargnani 3/4 of the way through the year. Then after he traded for Tony Parker I ended up dealing him Bargnani back to get Parker. I took Parker at the start of the off season just after the finals and packaged him with Peja to get Terry. I liked Terry cause I needed a SG who was reliable and Peja just isnt. Peja was acquired while he was out following his back surgery in a small time deal. I kept Mo Pete who was on my roster at #10 and when he signed with the Hornets was rewarded with a pretty decent starting SG.

Mo Pete was acquired in a low end deal for me late season. Hes 10.

PG-Nash

SG-Mo Pete

G-Terry

SF-Garnett

PF-Dirk

F-D.Lee

C-A.Stoudemire

C-Camby

UTIL-Marion

UTIL-Lebron

Its a 12 team league. That switches to H2H this year. There is one other powerhouse team really but not as good as mine. He took a hit though with Brand being hurt. There are a few other good teams. But nothing extremely great.

He has-

PG-Hinrich

G-Iverson

SG-V.Carter

SF-Anthony

PF-Brand

F-TMac

C-Dalembert

C-Ilgauskas

UTIL-Tinsley

UTIL-S.Livingston

another team has-

PG-CP3

SG-JRich

G-B.Davis

SF-Gay

PF-Gasol

F-Childress

C-Yao

C-Bosh

UTIL-B.Simmons

UTIL-AK-47

I know u guys are gonna pick on the league and call it garbage but try n understand its not a super highly competetive league. I have those as well. Tell me u wouldnt be happy having a team like this. Its like a dream team. So please do me a favor n cut me a bit of a break here. I ripped some people off I know but hey u would have too if u had the chance.

You should go work for some government agency as a negotiating coordinator or something.

I too believe in trading depth to stars, but I also try not to make too blatantly one sided deals, which is the case with your KG trade. How did the commissioner approve the deal, is what I'm asking, but never mind.

You are going to rip the league this season, barring injuries of course. Are you going to have playoffs this year?

jeter I suggest you trade some of your stars, your team is too dominating! You might not feel the thrill of fantasy basketball in that league.

Marion is a great comparison. To the h2h guys, he must look like a silly #1 pick compared with Lebron, Kobe, and KG. To Roto guys, he has been a pretty clear cut choice the last couple of years. He wins roto leagues. Fills everything with NO negatives.

Marion isn't that bad of a #1 pick for H2H. In my first year playing fantasy anything (2005), I placed 2nd and 3rd in my two H2H leagues with him. It all just depends on how you build your team and where you want to get your stats from. Drafting LeBron, Kobe, and KG doesn't guarantee you a more competetive team than having gone with Marion.

If anyone wants to see custom rankings based on season stats you can use Basketball Monster.