Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Czar

enough said

With his energy and athleticism he only needs about 25 minutes to put up some monster fantasy numbers. I expect a large increase in minutes for him just like the rest of the rookies under Skiles have had in their second year. He typically plays them very little throughout the first half and then day-by-day in the second half is when their minutes start to increase.

Tyrus is nice and all, but PT is not the only concern. It would be a "reach" if you pick him this early, I'm sure you could easily snag Tyrus in the 9th round rather than the end of round 7, so i don't like selecting tyrus this early.

as for Bell, his roto value is very nice and he can carry the 3's in h2h but i just don't ike him this year, with the emergence of barbosa, acquisition of hill. Bell will only retain his value if PHX decides to use GRant like they did Jalen Rose last year, but I highly doubt that.

Tyrus is nice and all, but PT is not the only concern. It would be a "reach" if you pick him this early, I'm sure you could easily snag Tyrus in the 9th round rather than the end of round 7, so i don't like selecting tyrus this early.

as for Bell, his roto value is very nice and he can carry the 3's in h2h but i just don't ike him this year, with the emergence of barbosa, acquisition of hill. Bell will only retain his value if PHX decides to use GRant like they did Jalen Rose last year, but I highly doubt that.

Yeah I could understand that, but I other then Rondo I don't really see a lot of upside in a lot of the guys out there and that is what I try to draft based on as the draft gets deeper. So with my strategy this would be a good time to possibly get a huge impact player.

yeah man, I see where your coming frm in this Tyrus Thomas upside thing, I too am into his game. I would actually have no problems if you pick him at this stage, my only concern is you could easily pick him in the 9th. As opposed to Rondo who is getting a lot of publicity, that he;s no longer a sleeper and if you keep waiting to draft Rondo in the later rounds, you just might lose out on him.

Hill is a risk, but I doubted Bell last year and regretted not having him on any of my teams. I would also consider Big Z and possible Brad Miller here, but I normally like going with vets who have performed well in the past.

Raja Bell

Here are the differences in the Suns' roster from last year:

-Kurt Thomas 18.0 mpg

-James Jones 18.1 mpg

+Grant Hill

+Alando Tucker

+D.J. Strawberry

I still don't see a problem. Do you think those 36 minutes per game are all going to be made up by the newcomers? Will they give more minutes to the scrubs that have stayed on the roster? At any rate, I doubt Bell is going to lose more than a minute or two per game based on the above changes.

I see Amare's minutes going up slightly to cut into Thomas' void. They'll almost certainly sign another big man, PJ Brown perhaps. He'll certainly take up most, if not all, of Thomas' minutes and more. Hill will take all of Jones' minutes and then some with Bell losing some of "then some." I see Banks' minutes increasing a little bit. But along with whatever minutes Bell loses he also loses touches to Hill. I think the loss of those minutes AND touches means a drop in stats.

I thought my rotoworld is gostrosgo but wtvr i guess ya;ll could change it to gotexansgo for now then in about Feb...after the Texans win the Superbowl u could change it the Rockets then in June when they win the NBA CHampionship we could change it to my original name gostrosgo in time for the Stros to win the championship (the cycle should continue for decades)

I was just having a little fun with you, hoping that you had a little sense of humor after your clear homer pick. I'll change it back if you would like me too.

-btw, Bagwell was clearly juiced. :)

Oh oooooh B)

Oh yeah I didn't noitce Rondo was taken.... let me change my vote to... Jeff Green. I know he's a rookie and all but with Durant playing the SG (as reported by rotoworld last month), that clears the path for Green at SF. He'll become this year's Brandon Roy.

As for the raja bell debate, I can't blame the guys who want bell right now, but if I were to choose, I would even pick Mo pete ahead of Bell this year. They offer same stats, but Mo Pete has more steals, and he'll get the PT this year,.

I see Amare's minutes going up slightly to cut into Thomas' void. They'll almost certainly sign another big man, PJ Brown perhaps. He'll certainly take up most, if not all, of Thomas' minutes and more. Hill will take all of Jones' minutes and then some with Bell losing some of "then some." I see Banks' minutes increasing a little bit. But along with whatever minutes Bell loses he also loses touches to Hill. I think the loss of those minutes AND touches means a drop in stats.

Honestly, I think Hill will eat up a lot of Marion's minutes. Marion noticably faded down the stretch last year and a lot of people were talking about what a terrible job Dantoni did of managing his minutes. He would play Marion and Nash 40+ in games that were clearly over by half-time. It was just stupid and took it's toll on Marion. Dantoni does the same thing that Adelman used to and that is play for every single game instead of looking at the big picture like Phil Jackson does. Adelman used to kill those old Portland teams so that they were dead tired by the time the playoffs came and he did the same thing to Webber and the Kings by playing him 40+ on a bad ankle the year he blew out his achilles. He needed to take a week off like Shaq and several other players do throughout the season and he would have been fresh for the playoffs. The same thing is happening to Nash and Marion and even Raja Bell. There was no reason for those guys to log those kinds of minutes in blow out victories and it killed them. On the flip side, Duncan's minutes were checked and Manu took lots of games off or played limited minutes and you also see Tony Parker's minutes in check because Pops gets it. Dantoni will either learn or destroy that team.

While all this discussion has been great fun, we are no closer to deciding on this pick than we were 15 posts ago. In fact with addition of Thomas, we are further away.

I suggest everyone pick three people that they can live with at this pick. First player to get 4 votes gets it.

My three in order are

Delonte West

Raja Bell

Tashaun Prince

I see what you're saying Czar but answer this, who can improve on last year's numbers? I don't see any way Bell can get better, only worse. With Webber gone in Detroit I see plenty of room for improvement from Prince. Obviously it's a matter of personal choice. Both players will be "drafted" soon, but personally I like Prince more.

BTW, I changed my vote to Prince a while ago, I don't think it's been updated.

I hate Prince so much it hurts, but Prince, and after that I'm going back to Nene.

I see what you're saying Czar but answer this, who can improve on last year's numbers? I don't see any way Bell can get better, only worse. With Webber gone in Detroit I see plenty of room for improvement from Prince. Obviously it's a matter of personal choice. Both players will be "drafted" soon, but personally I like Prince more.

BTW, I changed my vote to Prince a while ago, I don't think it's been updated.

I don't know from where you're getting this. Prince has been virtually the exact same player the last 3 years, and that's with and without Webber. Plus, he's 27. He's no pup, relatively speaking. It's not like he's going to just bust out and be a superstar all of a sudden.

I mean, you can rationalize it any way you want (and apparently you have), but obviously you are choosing to believe in something positive for Prince (magical improvement because Chris Webber is gone?) and something negative for Raja Bell (decrease in minutes/production because of the addition of Grant Hill?) based purely on blind speculation. I look at the two players, see that they are nearly identical save for 1.5 threes versus 2 rebounds, and gladly glab Raja several picks ahead of Prince.

I don't know from where you're getting this. Prince has been virtually the exact same player the last 3 years, and that's with and without Webber. Plus, he's 27. He's no pup, relatively speaking. It's not like he's going to just bust out and be a superstar all of a sudden.

I mean, you can rationalize it any way you want (and apparently you have), but obviously you are choosing to believe in something positive for Prince (magical improvement because Chris Webber is gone?) and something negative for Raja Bell (decrease in minutes/production because of the addition of Grant Hill?) based purely on blind speculation. I look at the two players, see that they are nearly identical save for 1.5 threes versus 2 rebounds, and gladly glab Raja several picks ahead of Prince.

I completely agree with you. They are so similar and I expect them to be similar again.

I do think that Prince is capable of higher offensive load though as well. I think he takes a step back as an unselfish player, but I think he could score a lot more. Bell, I am not so sure about. I think Steve Nash makes Bell what he is offensively. But, that argument aside, I think they will once again produce the same exact numbers.

You just keep forgetting to include the 3% increase in shooting % and the half a block more that Prince gets. So, +2 boards, +3%, .5 block = 1.5 threes? Like I said earlier, I'm not so sure. It really depends on what I need in the draft at that point. If I need threes, I grab Raja and run and I picked him next anyway. If I have 3's, I would prefer to stuff those other stats a little more.

I completely agree with you. They are so similar and I expect them to be similar again.

I do think that Prince is capable of higher offensive load though as well. I think he takes a step back as an unselfish player, but I think he could score a lot more. Bell, I am not so sure about. I think Steve Nash makes Bell what he is offensively. But, that argument aside, I think they will once again produce the same exact numbers.

You just keep forgetting to include the 3% increase in shooting % and the half a block more that Prince gets. So, +2 boards, +3%, .5 block = 1.5 threes? Like I said earlier, I'm not so sure. It really depends on what I need in the draft at that point. If I need threes, I grab Raja and run and I picked him next anyway. If I have 3's, I would prefer to stuff those other stats a little more.

I left out the 3% shooting % because I basically consider the shooting percentages to be a wash. Raja Bell's shooting % was lower last year than it has been for years--he was right around 45.5% the 2 years prior to 06-07. I guess I think he'll rebound to his previous 2 years' average. While his career shooting % is 43.7, I think we would all admit that shooting percentages tend to increase for everyone when you are playing in the Phoenix Suns' offense.

Prince did shoot slightly lower than his career average last year, but only but 0.7% so I think 46% is right around where he's going to end up.

Also, you can look at the alternatives. If you pass on Bell here, what are the odds that you can get a SG who averages 2.5 threes a game later in the draft? Probably not very good. However, if you pass on Prince, I feel confident you can get a SF who shoots 46% and averages 14 and 5 per game. If not exactly, a decent approximation.