Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yort1919

Lonnie Chisenhall 2012 Projections

80 posts in this topic

All I can think is that in a keeper league I'd hold onto him for another year, the kid has the tools, beautiful swing, I could see him hitting

280/330/425 18 homers 75 RBI I say he gets on track in 2012.

Good luck!

The big thing for Lonnie is if he can get his walk rate up to his minor league levels. He seems like a guy that will hit for 20 - 25 HR in his prime years, but I expect growing pains this year.

.250/.300/.410 15 Homers 120 Runs/RBIs

He is tearing it up in AAA Columbus so far. Anyone think he'll be called up soon? I know Hannahananannarahan is hitting north of .300 after 4 games, but how long will that last?

He is tearing it up in AAA Columbus so far. Anyone think he'll be called up soon? I know Hannahananannarahan is hitting north of .300 after 4 games, but how long will that last?

hopefully soon. as I posted in his MiLB thread, I'm sick of CLE mishandling hm. the guy's bat is ready. his defense, though it needs improvement, isn't going to get any better unless hes facing MLB players. It's not like the Tribe is going anywhere this year, they need to get him up, let him get his at bats and defensive opportunities, and when they are actually a competitive team in a few years, he'll be all set.

Cleveland's front office is ridiculous. brb trading our farm system for Ubaldo "haven't been good since early 29010" Jimenez...wish someone would bean HIM.

Just another year as a Cleveland fan I suppose. what else is new...

hopefully soon. as I posted in his MiLB thread, I'm sick of CLE mishandling hm. the guy's bat is ready. his defense, though it needs improvement, isn't going to get any better unless hes facing MLB players. It's not like the Tribe is going anywhere this year, they need to get him up, let him get his at bats and defensive opportunities, and when they are actually a competitive team in a few years, he'll be all set.

Cleveland's front office is ridiculous. brb trading our farm system for Ubaldo "haven't been good since early 29010" Jimenez...wish someone would bean HIM.

Chisenhalls' defense isn't ready and with the groundball staff that's important as is plate discipline, both LaPorta and Chisenhall need pitch recognition, and discipline, which is one reason they are in AAA.

Disagree with you on this. MiLB is where you need to learn defense not in the Majors.

Chisenhalls' defense isn't ready and with the groundball staff that's important as is plate discipline, both LaPorta and Chisenhall need pitch recognition, and discipline, which is one reason they are in AAA.

the tribe is terrible, and the pitching at AAA isnt as good as at MLB level, so how is that preparing them for MLB level? they're obviously tearing it up at AA, so they have nothing more to learn at that level. time to move up. ref. the defense, it's not like cleve;and is going anywhere this year. letting chiz play isn;t going to keep them out of the playoffs.

Disagree with you on this. MiLB is where you need to learn defense not in the Majors.

how do you figure? the concept is the same at both places, they just need reps. a full time MLB gig is as good as (likely better than) one at AAA...

the tribe is terrible, and the pitching at AAA isnt as good as at MLB level, so how is that preparing them for MLB level? they're obviously tearing it up at AA, so they have nothing more to learn at that level. time to move up. ref. the defense, it's not like cleve;and is going anywhere this year. letting chiz play isn;t going to keep them out of the playoffs.

how do you figure? the concept is the same at both places, they just need reps. a full time MLB gig is as good as (likely better than) one at AAA...

Well, we do agree that the concept is the same. However, the minors are where you "learn" and the majors are where you "perform" what you've learned.

Unfortunately defense is an important part of the game and his defense clearly isn't good enough yet. Just because your team isn't going to compete doesn't mean you don't have to try and field a competitive team. Why not field an entire team of minor leaguers and let them all "learn"? Hannahan is not Ted Williams but he's one of the best defensive players in baseball. And with so many ground ball pitchers on your team that is a good thing to have.

1 person likes this

If they have no plate discipline in AAA what makes you think they can learn discipline against the best in the world? and infield defense is important to the staff in Cleveland, I've heard a lot of people agreeing that he needs to be down in AAA learning some discipline cause the last couple time a prospect was thrown to the wolves suffered (Marte, and LaPorta) if there was no other option he would probably be in Cleveland but since Hannahan is a decent stop gap, why not let Chisenhall have a little more seasoning to prepare him better for later in the year?

Ya we need someone to field those groundballs the OFers are throwin in. The idea of the left side being Duncan/Chis is terrifying defensively. It would look like coed softball

I like Chisenhall and thought that he would have been the starting third basemen going into the season. And while it's easy to get excited about his fast start in Triple A this year, he needs to work on his plate discipline. Only walking 3.4% of the time in 222 plate appearances last year, isn't good for the type of player he profiles as. Even if he's destroying Triple A competition, they should leave him down there for a while to work out the rough edges of his game and let him gain some confidence from racking there. That's something he's never really done at any stop during his minor league career. He's been extremely consistant, but he hasn't been exactly set any stop on fire. The highest OPS he's ever posted has been .837 and that was in '09 at High-A Kinston.

Hannahan's defense compensates for his below average offense (even though he started out fine this season). So I don't know how much they would actually gain from calling up Chisenhall right now.

Well, we do agree that the concept is the same. However, the minors are where you "learn" and the majors are where you "perform" what you've learned.

i agree. i'm just so tired of hannahan's s*** bat (small sample size from so far this year aside), haha.

Unfortunately defense is an important part of the game and his defense clearly isn't good enough yet. Just because your team isn't going to compete doesn't mean you don't have to try and field a competitive team. Why not field an entire team of minor leaguers and let them all "learn"? Hannahan is not Ted Williams but he's one of the best defensive players in baseball. And with so many ground ball pitchers on your team that is a good thing to have.

agree ref. his defense, but where do you draw the line when your team is batting .175? haha

I guess I'm biased given that I've been on chiz's nuts since he was drafted, but I'm an offense kind of guy (and don;t get me started on griundball pitchers, ugh! give me strasburg and verlander all day!)

If they have no plate discipline in AAA what makes you think they can learn discipline against the best in the world? and infield defense is important to the staff in Cleveland, I've heard a lot of people agreeing that he needs to be down in AAA learning some discipline cause the last couple time a prospect was thrown to the wolves suffered (Marte, and LaPorta) if there was no other option he would probably be in Cleveland but since Hannahan is a decent stop gap, why not let Chisenhall have a little more seasoning to prepare him better for later in the year?

to be fair, LaPorta is simply a busted prospect. Chisenhall has already exhibited a better bat than LaPorta, even in his short stint last year. Again, partially biased opinion but looking at it objectively, LaPorta is just garbage. Chiz needs some work, but LaPorta isa lost cause IMO. Surely you can agree, no? :)

I like Chisenhall and thought that he would have been the starting third basemen going into the season. And while it's easy to get excited about his fast start in Triple A this year, he needs to work on his plate discipline. Only walking 3.4% of the time in 222 plate appearances last year, isn't good for the type of player he profiles as. Even if he's destroying Triple A competition, they should leave him down there for a while to work out the rough edges of his game and let him gain some confidence from racking there. That's something he's never really done at any stop during his minor league career. He's been extremely consistant, but he hasn't been exactly set any stop on fire. The highest OPS he's ever posted has been .837 and that was in '09 at High-A Kinston.

Hannahan's defense compensates for his below average offense (even though he started out fine this season). So I don't know how much they would actually gain from calling up Chisenhall right now.

Would you agree though, that with him smashing everything thrown at him in AAA, he;s really not learning anything? I mean hell, if he's not having any trouble hitting anything down there (clearly he;s not), how can he be expected to learn anything or further develop? I just feel like it would benefit him to face the "next level" pitching, which WILL force him to adjust, compensate, adapt, etc. As opposed to now, where he can keep his same approach and mash everything in sight. I do agree with the walks sentiment though, that number is surely disappointing.

I figure once Hannahan's hot streak wears off and he goes back to hitting his customary .230, it won;t be long before chiz gets the call. I'm predicting (read: hoping for) an early to mid June callup.

i agree. i'm just so tired of hannahan's s*** bat (small sample size from so far this year aside), haha.

agree ref. his defense, but where do you draw the line when your team is batting .175? haha

I guess I'm biased given that I've been on chiz's nuts since he was drafted, but I'm an offense kind of guy (and don;t get me started on griundball pitchers, ugh! give me strasburg and verlander all day!)

to be fair, LaPorta is simply a busted prospect. Chisenhall has already exhibited a better bat than LaPorta, even in his short stint last year. Again, partially biased opinion but looking at it objectively, LaPorta is just garbage. Chiz needs some work, but LaPorta isa lost cause IMO. Surely you can agree, no? :)

Would you agree though, that with him smashing everything thrown at him in AAA, he;s really not learning anything? I mean hell, if he's not having any trouble hitting anything down there (clearly he;s not), how can he be expected to learn anything or further develop? I just feel like it would benefit him to face the "next level" pitching, which WILL force him to adjust, compensate, adapt, etc. As opposed to now, where he can keep his same approach and mash everything in sight. I do agree with the walks sentiment though, that number is surely disappointing.

I figure once Hannahan's hot streak wears off and he goes back to hitting his customary .230, it won;t be long before chiz gets the call. I'm predicting (read: hoping for) an early to mid June callup.

The main problem with his hot start, is we are dealing with an incredibly small sample size. And just because he's not facing pitching at MLB level, doesn't mean he can't refine his game. If he continues to just walk at 3% like he's currently at (like I said, small sample size), then those swinging ways are going to carry over to his call up. And if that happens, I just don't see him being better than he was last year. So yes, even with him mashing Triple A pitching right now, I do think he can stay there and still develop (or in the very least, rediscover) his plate discipline. You have to remember that Triple A pitching is basically the number 6 and 7 starters for the MLB club, and while they may not be good...most times their pitching arsenals are more defined than the prospects pitching in Double A or below.

I think Chisenhall gets a call up around the All-Star break, and it could be sooner if reports on his defense and plate discipline get better. But until those two things improve enough for Indians to take notice, Hannahan's defense compensates for his bat. I can understand you excitement as a fan of the team and your disdain for having a zombie veteran blocking him (I experienced the same thing with Garret Atkins when he was blocking Josh Bell *look how well that worked out, haha*), but there's no need to rush him.

The main problem with his hot start, is we are dealing with an incredibly small sample size. And just because he's not facing pitching at MLB level, doesn't mean he can't refine his game. If he continues to just walk at 3% like he's currently at (like I said, small sample size), then those swinging ways are going to carry over to his call up. And if that happens, I just don't see him being better than he was last year. So yes, even with him mashing Triple A pitching right now, I do think he can stay there and still develop (or in the very least, rediscover) his plate discipline. You have to remember that Triple A pitching is basically the number 6 and 7 starters for the MLB club, and while they may not be good...most times their pitching arsenals are more defined than the prospects pitching in Double A or below.

I think Chisenhall gets a call up around the All-Star break, and it could be sooner if reports on his defense and plate discipline get better. But until those two things improve enough for Indians to take notice, Hannahan's defense compensates for his bat. I can understand you excitement as a fan of the team and your disdain for having a zombie veteran blocking him (I experienced the same thing with Garret Atkins when he was blocking Josh Bell *look how well that worked out, haha*), but there's no need to rush him.

agreed ref. rushing him, and the last thing i want is another Marte situation (though to be honest i think that guy just sucked haha), so I'll be okay with it AS LONG AS he's being utilized correctly at AA, and they're actually ensuring he's working on his discipline (I'm skeptical of this) as opposed to just letting him go hit. He's not likely to adjust/develop/adapt his hitting style on his own, as sticking with known and trusted habits is generally human nature. Would hope they're investing the resource of time and personal coaching to him and analyzing his every at-bat to coach him to improve. The thing I've noticed about the indians, is the prospects they get from other teams (santana, choo, sizemore prior to 2010, masterson) generally tend to be MLB ready, good pedigree and performance players. The ones they draft and develop themselves, however...not so much. The tribe has always seemed to have the best AAA teams (or among the best anyway), but yet it's very rare for any of those guys to be able to translate their talent to the show. Bunch of Quad-A players in the indians farm system, IMO. It's a shame. They've got a good one in Chiz, just hope they do it right and don;t waste another potential star.

agreed ref. rushing him, and the last thing i want is another Marte situation (though to be honest i think that guy just sucked haha), so I'll be okay with it AS LONG AS he's being utilized correctly at AA, and they're actually ensuring he's working on his discipline (I'm skeptical of this) as opposed to just letting him go hit. He's not likely to adjust/develop/adapt his hitting style on his own, as sticking with known and trusted habits is generally human nature. Would hope they're investing the resource of time and personal coaching to him and analyzing his every at-bat to coach him to improve. The thing I've noticed about the indians, is the prospects they get from other teams (santana, choo, sizemore prior to 2010, masterson) generally tend to be MLB ready, good pedigree and performance players. The ones they draft and develop themselves, however...not so much. The tribe has always seemed to have the best AAA teams (or among the best anyway), but yet it's very rare for any of those guys to be able to translate their talent to the show. Bunch of Quad-A players in the indians farm system, IMO. It's a shame. They've got a good one in Chiz, just hope they do it right and don;t waste another potential star.

If there's one minor league manager I trust to help Chiz get better it's Mike Sarbaugh, who just might be the best manager in the minors, and if Sandy get's a managers gig elsewhere I see Sarbaugh up in Cleveland, but in CBus this year, he has drawn 1 walk to 6 K's, I'd like to atleast see 1:3 ratio if not 1:2 but I don't think Chiz's discipline will ever get that good, unless he really learns pitch recognition like Carlos Santana, or other premier player that have high walk rates, just don't think his eye will ever be that good, which is a shame.

If there's one minor league manager I trust to help Chiz get better it's Mike Sarbaugh, who just might be the best manager in the minors, and if Sandy get's a managers gig elsewhere I see Sarbaugh up in Cleveland, but in CBus this year, he has drawn 1 walk to 6 K's, I'd like to atleast see 1:3 ratio if not 1:2 but I don't think Chiz's discipline will ever get that good, unless he really learns pitch recognition like Carlos Santana, or other premier player that have high walk rates, just don't think his eye will ever be that good, which is a shame.

I have to begrudgingly agree ref. his discipline. I would like to think that's something he can be "taught" through videotape review and one-on-one coaching/tutelage, but I think it's simply the reality that the "eye" is something a batter either has or he doesn't. That said, I DO believe he'll improve, though not necessarily to a Santana level. He is too good a hitter to simply not have the "stuff" necessary to at least be above average.

That said, as they say "practice makes perfect!"...too early in his career to make statements like "ever" :P

I have to begrudgingly agree ref. his discipline. I would like to think that's something he can be "taught" through videotape review and one-on-one coaching/tutelage, but I think it's simply the reality that the "eye" is something a batter either has or he doesn't. That said, I DO believe he'll improve, though not necessarily to a Santana level. He is too good a hitter to simply not have the "stuff" necessary to at least be above average.

That said, as they say "practice makes perfect!"...too early in his career to make statements like "ever" :P

Maybe ever was a bit of an exageration, but as a fan of the Indians I hope he can, I really don't think the Tribe like to teach discipline in the minors, Kipnis is the same way, and not a whole lot of players in the system have a lot of discipline, LaPorta sure as heck doesn't but his problem is recognition too, he can rake AAA but when it comes to movement and breaking balls he just flails all over the place, Chisenhall can improve and be a solid every day player, maybe not a star but he can be a solid .270 hitter in his prime.

Maybe ever was a bit of an exageration, but as a fan of the Indians I hope he can, I really don't think the Tribe like to teach discipline in the minors, Kipnis is the same way, and not a whole lot of players in the system have a lot of discipline, LaPorta sure as heck doesn't but his problem is recognition too, he can rake AAA but when it comes to movement and breaking balls he just flails all over the place, Chisenhall can improve and be a solid every day player, maybe not a star but he can be a solid .270 hitter in his prime.

couldn;t agree more. LaPorta just plain sucks. Most overrated player ever. I'm just glad he really came at no expense, just a half season rental for the brew crew. Here's to hoping they do right by Chiz and let him be the player he is capable of being.

Homer in his first at bat. Could be a cheap source of power, at least while Hannahan is hurt.

He's the 3rd baseman of the future. If he can run with it this time around, there's no worrying about Hanahan