Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barbosa

How all Statistics are Counted - A Primer

I run stat crew for a top 25 college team, and blocks are something that can be somehwhat arbitrary. Technically, we can award a block to a player that doesn't touch the ball, but forces the offensive player to alter their shot in a manner that leads to a miss. I don't think I've ever awarded a block on that, but it could happen.

That is called stat padding... It is good D yes, but it is not a blocked shot...

Oops, you're right. BA is Blocked against, not Blocked attempts. Same meaning though. ;)

I always thought it was "Blocks Allowed".....

anyways, i have a new question...i kinda have an idea, but wanted to make sure. if a player turns a ball over by dribbling it off his leg, or somehow loses the ball on his own, does the opponent who comes up with the ball get credited with the steal? the opponent is not technically stealing the ball, but steals get credited like that all the time. whats the official ruling on that one?

I always thought it was "Blocks Allowed".....

anyways, i have a new question...i kinda have an idea, but wanted to make sure. if a player turns a ball over by dribbling it off his leg, or somehow loses the ball on his own, does the opponent who comes up with the ball get credited with the steal? the opponent is not technically stealing the ball, but steals get credited like that all the time. whats the official ruling on that one?

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Was dealing with a nasty flu.

The technical ruling is a defender must cause the turnover to be credited with a steal. Merely picking up a loose ball is not technically a steal. The offensive player obviously is credited with a turnover but no one should get a steal. With that said, this is often applied very flexibly, and defenders are frequently (mistakenly) credited with steals in these instances.

If someone shoots and gets their shot "goaltended", does that count as a FGA and a FGM?

Yes.

Just skimmed thread so I don't know if this has been answered yet, but does taking charges count as a steal? Not sure if I heard an announcer say something of the sort.

Just skimmed thread so I don't know if this has been answered yet, but does taking charges count as a steal? Not sure if I heard an announcer say something of the sort.

It does not. All it counts for is a turnover (and a personal foul, of course) for the offensive player.

I've always wondered this but for Yahoo... does a game only count if the player plays 1 second? For example if I have Tony Parker in my lineup and he isn't playing tonight... that doesn't count as a game played does it?

I've always wondered this but for Yahoo... does a game only count if the player plays 1 second? For example if I have Tony Parker in my lineup and he isn't playing tonight... that doesn't count as a game played does it?

No, it does not count as a game played. The player has to enter the game for it to count as a game played.

If someone shoots and gets their shot "goaltended", does that count as a FGA and a FGM?

Remember - there can be no gaps in total stats. If a goal-tend did not count as a FGA and FGM there would be phantom points - or a gap in the totality of overall stats. Every final stat in the game must be attributable to some party.

if a guy suits up but doesnt play (ie hes a starter but feels ill before the game and DNP) does that count as a game?

Nope. It only counts as a game if he actually steps on the court. He doesn't have to amass any stats in that time (as Stephen Curry owners painfully found out when he logged three seconds of playing time as an offensive decoy), but it counts as a game if and only if he is on the floor for at least a play.

Does offensive goaltending count as a turnover for the player who goaltends the shot?

The assists thing is retarded. Rondo received the ball at half court from KG. Rondo runs pass 2-3 defenders and lays it in. KG gets the assist. If he was defended better, he probably would have passed to Ray or the guy trailing the play. What if he did one of his fake behind the back passes, but his intent was to score the whole time?

So basically, you can get the ball, dribble around defenders for 20 seconds with the "intent" to score the entire time and the person who initially gave you the ball gets the assist once he does score.

or..you can be the only one under the basket and pretend to pass, just for giggles, then dunk the ball and the guy who gave you the ball doesn't get an assist.