Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hoops

Jeremy Lin 2011-12

so what is everyone's opinion if he ends up in houston?

I think he will be able to score more and handle the rock a lot more often. im not sure who else is capable of scoring outside of Kmart, so his assists could hurt. However, houston's system always seems to have great pg play...so i find this tough to call.

HOU will be better for him fantasy-wise, but I will eat a turd sandwich if the Knicks don't match.i'm serious...a turd sandwich. after announcing him as their starting PG for days, it would be a PR disaster.

also, Lin>>>Felton. if Felton comes, Lin will still get matched imo.

so what is everyone's opinion if he ends up in houston?

I think he will be able to score more and handle the rock a lot more often. im not sure who else is capable of scoring outside of Kmart, so his assists could hurt. However, houston's system always seems to have great pg play...so i find this tough to call.

His prospects would've been much better if Scola was around, as Lin thrives off the pick and roll. However, his play style is similar to Dragic's, although not as crafty and with less passing ability. He certainly won't compare to his D'Antoni days, but I his fantasy prospects look much better in Houston than New York, where Jason Kidd looms.

Very surprising move by the Knicks though, although I'm not too familiar with the Knicks' financial commitments. Seeing how they couldn't keep Fields as well, it must be pretty bad.

@ball so hard - they chose not to keep fields as toronto threw out an insane offer to prevent nash from going there...driving landry's price up they thought it would prevent all that. they could have exceeded the cap to sign their own player but decided not to (i believe thats the way it works)

@bbythepier - not sure if thats something i want to see.

i am very curious to see what occurs with the knicks giving felton a 3 year $10 mil contract. maybe his fat a** will get back into shape.

they have said repeatedly they would match anything...

The Knicks are a joke. Melo killed Fields, Stoudemire, D'Antoni and now Linsanity. Looks like it's time for me to be a Nets fan.

@ball so hard - they chose not to keep fields as toronto threw out an insane offer to prevent nash from going there...driving landry's price up they thought it would prevent all that. they could have exceeded the cap to sign their own player but decided not to (i believe thats the way it works)

I talked about this in another thread, so I'm aware of that situation. I was merely pointing out that they couldn't keep Lin even after declining to match the Fields offer as well. I think a lot of people agree that keeping Lin is more than worth it even if you go into the luxury tax, as his market appeal is simply unparalleled.

The Knicks are a joke. Melo killed Fields, Stoudemire, D'Antoni and now Linsanity. Looks like it's time for me to be a Nets fan.

A good night's sleep & Sunday coffee later, I hope NYK rolls without Lin now (as a non-Knick fan). I want to see Melo's ship sink, Spike Lee turn on the org with his Lin retro jersey, the 1st round losing continue, etc. There is very little likable about Melo to the average fan. I'm NOT suggesting Melo had anything to do with a decision not to match Lin's offer. But if they don't match, and it's still Melo's "team", this will actually be fun to watch the melodrama play out 3000 miles away. And on the other hand, Lin would have a lot more basketball freedom in HOU. Not a Lin fanboy, don't or won't own his jersey or build him a shrine, but i dig the underdog story. Seeing his story go to TX wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

A good night's sleep & Sunday coffee later, I hope NYK rolls without Lin now (as a non-Knick fan). I want to see Melo's ship sink, Spike Lee turn on the org with his Lin retro jersey, the 1st round losing continue, etc. There is very little likable about Melo to the average fan. I'm NOT suggesting Melo had anything to do with a decision not to match Lin's offer. But if they don't match, and it's still Melo's "team", this will actually be fun to watch the melodrama play out 3000 miles away. And on the other hand, Lin would have a lot more basketball freedom in HOU. Not a Lin fanboy, don't or won't own his jersey or build him a shrine, but i dig the underdog story. Seeing his story go to TX wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

I think a lot of people will share this sentiment. Melo has been one of the most overrated stars in a while now, while Lin is a solid player who does nothing but work hard and play right.

One other thing I'd like to add to your post is to see the Nuggets continue to have greater success without Melo. It was pretty awesome to see that team come together after the Melo trade and play great team basketball, and that led them to playoff appearances in both years.

I'm with you guys 100%. As a Knick fan I don't think I can support this crap any longer. During the past two seasons the Knicks have played their best basketball either when Melo was not a member of the team (first half of 2010-2011 season) or when he was injured and not in uniform (majority of the Linsanity era). I highly doubt that is a coincidence. Before Melo arrived this team was built on ball movement and passing the ball to the right man at the right time. They were incredibly fun to watch. Landry Fields was the talk of the town and Amar'e was a borderline MVP candidate. And Melo killed all of that. I can remember numerous instances where Fields would clap his hands in frustration after he made a wide open cut to the basket only for Melo to not throw an alley or make the simple bounce pass. Those were the type of cuts and passes that D'Antoni preaches about and were a routine sight during the pre-Melo days. And yet this crap management keep building the team around him.

And now with Lin probably leaving it's like they want everyone in New York to become Nets fans. Carmelo Anthony is not a guy to build a basketball team around. Just look at how the Nuggets played basketball with him and how they play basketball now. The way I look at it, Melo is the new Starbury.

The Knicks roster, today, is the best it has been in practically a decade. Any so called Knick fan disputing this is delusional. That is that.

As for Lin, his contract is patently absurd. I would like the Knick's to match it but I can't reasonably be bitter if they don't.

Also, in response to a portion of elrey's post above, the Knicks were a whole whooping two to three games over .500 before Melo arrived during the 2010 - 11 season. In regards to the most recent season, you can't gauge a thing due to coaching changes, roster changes, Dantoni basically sucking, injuries and the lockout.

Now a JKidd DWI...

Worst PR day ever?

Kidd wanted to teach JLin, now he gets to back up Raymond Felton. I would've gone out for a night of drinking too

From ESPN's firey readhead Rachel Nichols' twitter... says it all:

Rachel Nichols@Rachel__Nichols

Well, then.. RT @rodboone Melo on J Lin: "It's not up to me. It's up to the organization to say they want to match that ridiculous contract"

Kidd wanted to teach JLin, now he gets to back up Raymond Felton. I would've gone out for a night of drinking too

Not to mention that the guy he could have backed up is playing just a couple miles away.

Well, then.. RT @rodboone Melo on J Lin: "It's not up to me. It's up to the organization to say they want to match that ridiculous contract"

Someone's jealous.

Not to mention that the guy he could have backed up is playing just a couple miles away.

Someone's jealous.

jealous? He is obviously referring to the poison pill and the 15 million dollars offered the the 3rd year.

HOU will be better for him fantasy-wise, but I will eat a turd sandwich if the Knicks don't match.i'm serious...a turd sandwich. after announcing him as their starting PG for days, it would be a PR disaster.

also, Lin>>>Felton. if Felton comes, Lin will still get matched imo.

post a video plz. at least a picture. :P

I can't see how the Knicks could possibly match at this point unless they have some future move predicated on it. Kidd-Felton-Lin-Shumpert (when healthy)? Not like anyone is really going to be likely to want to trade for Lin with the poison pill portion of the contract from Houston, so seems a formality to me that Lin is a Rocket. He has to start if they match to even begin to defend giving him that contract, which leaves Felton, Kidd, and later Shumpert splitting how many minutes? Clearly fantasy-wise at this point that is his best case. The Rockets had 2 good PG's and now they have nothing there. Some very curious moves going on this off-season.

The Knicks are clearly trying to assemble an all-Senior team this season.

Kidd (39), Thomas (39), and Camby (38) make a solid foundation to build around, and there's a reason why they tried to get Ray Allen (36, almost 37) and are still trying to get Grant Hill (39) to fill out the wing.

assuming the Knicks don't match, I think Lin will regret this more than the Knicks. as anyone in NYC can attest to, Lin was EVERYWHERE last year. I would go into Duane Reade (drug store) and see Lin stickers, key chains, etc. weeks after his debut. everyone was talking about him, he was on the cover of newspapers, on billboards, ads in subway trains, and every man, woman, and child knew who he was. the amount of money he could have made in this city would put to shame the contract he just signed, even if he never took another step forward as a player. if you took a poll of random citizens during Linsanity, I think more people would know the name Jeremy Lin than Carmelo Anthony.

now in Houston, in a new city and smaller market, if he settles in as a 2nd division starting PG, the shine will quickly wear off. there is not an enormous fan base and city enamored with him. he still has national attention, but they'll find a new story soon enough. I think by the end of this contract, Lin is just another guy looking for a new contract.

the Knicks will be all right. he's obviously worth a lot to them especially with the Nets so close now, but the Knicks have been a hot ticket for the past 2 seasons after bottoming out while cleaning up Isaiah's mess. Lin caused a big spike in the attention the Knicks got by the media and the public, but they have been on a steady incline since the hot start in 2010 with Gallo et al. if the team gets better, that upswing in public sentiment will continue whether the starting PG is Kidd, Felton, or Lin. I'm not a Knicks fan so I don't much care either way but I've been in the city for the Knicks cratering out, and Jemery Lin is far from the only jersey people wear around town, and not only reason people buy tickets.

assuming the Knicks don't match, I think Lin will regret this more than the Knicks. as anyone in NYC can attest to, Lin was EVERYWHERE last year. I would go into Duane Reade (drug store) and see Lin stickers, key chains, etc. weeks after his debut. everyone was talking about him, he was on the cover of newspapers, on billboards, ads in subway trains, and every man, woman, and child knew who he was. the amount of money he could have made in this city would put to shame the contract he just signed, even if he never took another step forward as a player.

now in Houston, in a new city and smaller market, if he settles in as a 2nd division starting PG, the shine will quickly wear off. there is not an enormous fan base and city enamored with him. he still has national attention, but they'll find a new story soon enough. I think by the end of this contract, Lin is just another guy looking for a new contract.

the Knicks will be all right. he's obviously worth a lot to them especially with the Nets so close now, but the Knicks have been a hot ticket for the past 2 seasons after bottoming out in the mid-2000s. Lin caused a big spike in the attention the Knicks got by the media and the public, but they have been on a steady incline since the hot start in 2010 with Gallo et al. if the team gets better, that upswing in public sentiment will continue whether the starting PG is Kidd, Felton, or Lin. I'm not a Knicks fan so I don't much care either way but I've been in the city for the Knicks cratering out, and Jemery Lin is far from the only jersey people wear around town, and not only reason people buy tickets.

I think the idea with Houston has nothing to do with domestic jersey sales. As a Taiwanese/Chinese-American, he has the potential of being a HUGE item overseas. Look at what Yao did on marketing. There are plenty of people here that will be following him, but even more in other countries.

Linsanity was going to die down inevitably. The guy isn't an NBA superstar. The jump you explain in him being on everything in NYC will also die down with him settling in as whatever he will become as an NBA player. He's marketable no matter where he is playing in the US because of his popularity with the Asian population. The guy has just walked into what will be a life-altering amount of money. I'm not criticizing his decision to set himself as best as he can for life rather than signing with the team that introduced him to. If he flames out, he flames out with a TON of money. With his education he can provide for generations with that.

1) I think Lin will regret this more than the Knicks.

2) the Knicks will be all right.

1) not me. Lin doesn't care about hype and pompenstance.dude just wants to ball. that's it. he'll get a way better chance to show his talents in HOU. it'll be off-broadway, but he'll get a chance to be a leading actor (barring injury).

2) the Knicks are 1-12 in their last 13 playoff games. lets see if they'll be "alright" next year. they'll be an "alright" team, but this move won't be alright. they just let an asset walk for nothing and have 2 cr@ppy PGs. i wish them bad luck next year.

last thing: Lin in 2014-15 at $15 million will have more win shares than Amare at $23 million. I'll take that bet right now. In fact, I'm calling my bookie right now to place that bet. I'll get my best odds right now, because once people see Amare play in 12-13 & 13-14, you won't be able to get that bet.

last thing: Lin in 2014-15 at $15 million will have more win shares than Amare at $23 million. I'll take that bet right now. In fact, I'm calling my bookie right now to place that bet. I'll get my best odds right now, because once people see Amare play in 12-13 & 13-14, you won't be able to get that bet.

The thing is, Amare at $23 million is pretty much a sunk cost at this point. Who do you think would be willing to take on that contract? He's being paid about as much per year as 1.5 maximum contracts. A contract that huge for someone coming off a season where he was the fourth-best player on a 7-seed? Even without the health concerns and his contract being uninsurable, he's colossally overpaid and won't be able to be moved very easily, not without a lot of pain coming back to the Knicks. (They used the amnesty on Billups to clear space for Chandler to be added last summer).

In other words, while that's bet you can make, it's not one that New York can choose to make. The only thing they can control is whether they add Lin, and for them he costs a lot more than $15M. They'd have to pay luxury taxes on his contract, and they'd likely be so far over the tax that it wouldn't simply be a dollar-for-dollar tax, either. $15 M plus luxury tax starts to look more like $40 M to get Lin in that year, plus the loss of what little flexibility the Knicks currently have to add players or improve their team in any way.