Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KansasTrooper

Giancarlo Stanton 2012 Season Outlook

1,014 posts in this topic

With a healthy Hanley & new leadoff hitter Jose Reyes in the mix, what do you think Stantons production will be this year? Also, will Stantons average be higher or lower then .265?

40 homers may be harder than you think. Stanton is plenty strong but Sun Life was already a pitcher's park and the new park's dimensions are considerably bigger. We won't know for sure how the park plays until some games actually happen there, but my guess is that a bigger ballpark will hurt HRs some but since it's enclosed this may be offset by the big drop in humidity compared to before.

1 person likes this

Park size doesn't usually factor into Stanton's bombs. When he hits them, they are usually like Gwen Stefani before she went solo...No Doubt.

4 people like this

Park size doesn't usually factor into Stanton's bombs. When he hits them, they are usually like Gwen Stefani before she went solo...No Doubt.

It should affect Stanton less than most but it will still affect him.

http://www.hittracke...ague=NL&type=ND

He had 15 no doubters (which led the league!) but that still puts 19 of his homeruns in question depending on the ballpark. If you click on his link in the homerun tracker:

http://www.hittracke...561&type=hitter

you will see his HR distance by HR. The new park's dimensions are:

Left field line—340 ft.

Left-center field384 ft.

Center field416 ft.

Right-center field392 ft.

Right field line335 ft.

I don't have the time to go through his HR one by one, but with these new dimensions, I'm estimating that if half (only counting home games) of what looks like around 10 HR fall into this this area now, it could knock 5 HRs right off the top of his total. He can certainly make this up and more with his own natural improvement but I'm just saying it will have some effect on his chances of reaching monster totals. Obviously, it affects weaker guys like Han Ram, Gaby and Lomo much more.

1 person likes this

It should affect Stanton less than most but it will still affect him.

http://www.hittracke...ague=NL&type=ND

He had 15 no doubters (which led the league!) but that still puts 19 of his homeruns in question depending on the ballpark. If you click on his link in the homerun tracker:

http://www.hittracke...561&type=hitter

you will see his HR distance by HR. The new park's dimensions are:

Left field line—340 ft.

Left-center field384 ft.

Center field416 ft.

Right-center field392 ft.

Right field line335 ft.

I don't have the time to go through his HR one by one, but with these new dimensions, I'm estimating that if half (only counting home games) of what looks like around 10 HR fall into this this area now, it could knock 5 HRs right off the top of his total. He can certainly make this up and more with his own natural improvement but I'm just saying it will have some effect on his chances of reaching monster totals. Obviously, it affects weaker guys like Han Ram, Gaby and Lomo much more.

Park dimensions are quite similar and for a rightie, I don't think the dimensions hurt him at all.

Park dimensions are quite similar and for a rightie, I don't think the dimensions hurt him at all.

Sun Life Stadium

Left field – 330 ft

Left-center field – 361 ft

Center field – 404 ft

Right-center field – 361 ft

Right field – 345 ft

I'd say 361 to 384 for his power alley and 404 to 416 for dead center aren't quite similar.

I believe that you have to look beyond just the OF fence distance to predict how the park will play. Foul grounds are equally important as is the typical wind direction/speed, air pressure, and temperature.

hahahahaha that is an awesome comparison. i dont think the new dimensions hurt him at all. his swing is pure power. 40 homers is definitely a possiblility. the kid hits 500 footers in BP!

I believe that you have to look beyond just the OF fence distance to predict how the park will play. Foul grounds are equally important as is the typical wind direction/speed, air pressure, and temperature.

And don't forget the all-important "angle of the dangle" which is "inversely proportional to the heat of the beat." LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdsNGAXzKMo

See 7:45-7:51

Sun Life Stadium

Left field – 330 ft

Left-center field – 361 ft

Center field – 404 ft

Right-center field – 361 ft

Right field – 345 ft

I'd say 361 to 384 for his power alley and 404 to 416 for dead center aren't quite similar.

330 in left field huh? I feel bad for the fans sitting in that section. Better bring a riot shield or something!

I think he'll put up around 30-35 HR this year, and I'll be happy with that. My main concern is RBI's. I would like to see him get to 100 RBI. With Jose Reyes & Hanley, he will definetely have a shot. I'm thinking his average drops a bit though. Maybe in the upper .250?

I think he's a lock for 38 Hrs as a floor and 45 as a ceiling

The new ballpark that is supposively pitcher-friendly is somewhat troubling and the fact that the NL East has some really tough pitching that he will face is probably more troubling. The Nats/Braves/Phillies are all real deep with some quality arms that he will be facing a lot. I'm definitely not down on him but I would be even higher on him without those factors. I also think he might add a stolen base factor this year. Trader Jack always talked about his speed last year and was really wanting him to learn how to steal bases and add that to his game.

What about the height of the LF wall? I recall Stanton hit some ropes off the high wall that would have been HRs elsewhere

The new ballpark that is supposively pitcher-friendly is somewhat troubling and the fact that the NL East has some really tough pitching that he will face is probably more troubling. The Nats/Braves/Phillies are all real deep with some quality arms that he will be facing a lot. I'm definitely not down on him but I would be even higher on him without those factors. I also think he might add a stolen base factor this year. Trader Jack always talked about his speed last year and was really wanting him to learn how to steal bases and add that to his game.

One bonus for him though, don't forget though that the Mets have brought in their fences.

I think he's got a floor of 30 HRs this season with the improved line-up and his own natural improvements. We could talk about all the changes in the league and the park till we're blue in the face, but we won't really know until it starts to play. You would hope with a power swing like Stanton, he's going to have the ability to start overcoming these factors and being a beast.

.250/30HR floor - .280/45HR ceiling?

Stanton is a Beast! He's still maturing the kids like 22 years old, I will go out on a limb here and say he wins the home run title this year and for many more years to come. 40-50 this year, 50 plus by the time he's 25 years old.

A beast!!!

1 person likes this

Stanton is a Beast! He's still maturing the kids like 22 years old, I will go out on a limb here and say he wins the home run title this year and for many more years to come. 40-50 this year, 50 plus by the time he's 25 years old.

A beast!!!

I would be ecstatic if you are right.

Someone needs to update the title of this thread.

The Giancarlo Stanton era is upon us. Different name, same game.

Is it weird I would draft him higher now because of the name change? How can anyone deny the chance to have a player named Giancarlo on their team.

1 person likes this