Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bizplayboy

1 Impact player 1 sleeper

OK, lets here your prospect impact player in 08

and lets hear your sleeper prospect in 08

Now what is really the difference? I'm assuming an Impact player is a prospect high on everyone's radar who you think will actually live up to the hype. Where as a sleeper prospect is a prospect who isn't on as many radars. In which case.

Prospect impact player in 08 Geovany (spelling?) Soto Cubs Catcher

Sleeper prospect Josh Fields no longer a rookie but I see him having a very strong full year next year. His low BA will keep people away from him. But he can flat out crush and being at US Cellular field I see his power numbers getting even better along with a bit more batting average... plus he can run.

Now what is really the difference? I'm assuming an Impact player is a prospect high on everyone's radar who you think will actually live up to the hype. Where as a sleeper prospect is a prospect who isn't on as many radars. In which case.

Prospect impact player in 08 Geovany (spelling?) Soto Cubs Catcher

Sleeper prospect Josh Fields no longer a rookie but I see him having a very strong full year next year. His low BA will keep people away from him. But he can flat out crush and being at US Cellular field I see his power numbers getting even better along with a bit more batting average... plus he can run.

Yeah, Soto has been so solid this year, he has probably forced the cubs hands in giving him the starting gig to start the season.

Prospect impact next year- Joey Votto- .280 25HR 90 RBI take it to the bank

Sleeper propsect- Emilio Bonifacio, ARI

Prospect impact next year- Joey Votto- .280 25HR 90 RBI take it to the bank

Yeah, I agree you can book those numbers. Traded Blanton/Marmol for him in my dynasty league.

Sleeper: Johnny Cueto

Votto is easy to call an impact player next year considering he is making an impact this year. My impact prospect next year will W.Belantin (OF-SEA) sleeper prospect will be Jed Lowrie (SS-Red Sox)

Stud: Homer Bailey

Sleeper: Matt Antonelli

I'm digging the minor league #'s on Antonelli (last year in college #'s as well) and Cueto. Antonelli does have to go through another Padres first round pick Kahlil Green or Marcus Giles though. Giles was awful this year, maybe he can take over at 2B.

Impact = Jay Bruce

Sleeper = Pick a Yankee SP prospect not called up (Betances, etc. - but not Brackman, LOL)

I can't believe this needs to be said, but Luke Hochevar is a huge sleeper for next year.

Why can't you believe it. He had a bad year. If you are right I would be impressive as I don't think he'll do much.

Impact Player (has rookie eligibility)

Impact Player for next year - Jay Bruce, Jacoby Ellsbury, Evan Longoria, Wade Davis

Sleeper Prospect (Stud but won't be in bigs next year) Austin Jackson, Hank Conger, Jon Neise

Sleeper CY Winner - Dustin McGowan

Impact: we have some fairly obvious names that I'm going to bypass, but I'd really keep my eye on Adam Jones. Have a pretty good feeling about him for next year.

Sleeper: I'm still gonna ride my boy James McDonald all the way to the bank.

Why can't you believe it. He had a bad year. If you are right I would be impressive as I don't think he'll do much.

Impact Player (has rookie eligibility)

Impact Player for next year - Jay Bruce, Jacoby Ellsbury, Evan Longoria, Wade Davis

Sleeper Prospect (Stud but won't be in bigs next year) Austin Jackson, Hank Conger, Jon Neise

Sleeper CY Winner - Dustin McGowan

That's just it. He had a bad year when you look at ERA. Here's what every one of you people don't know though.

THEY TOOK AWAY HIS SINKER AND SLIDER for most of the year. Those are his two best pitches. How is he supposed to pitch like a stud with 3 pitches, which with almost all of them he wasn't comfortable until the end of the year? His ERA was basically inflated because he gave up a lot of HR, um, maybe because HE WASN'T THROWING HIS SINKER? Oh and another thing, he was basically changing the way he was pitching out of the stretch throughout the year. It's not easy to transition (mostly speed up) and expect to pitch like he has his whole life.

Dude was the #1 overall pick for a reason, throwing him out because of a season with a high ERA in his first professional season is ludacris. I was present for two of his final four starts in Omaha, and he was downright filthy. Getting lots of strikeouts and groundballs using his SINKER. Then I saw his appearances out of the KC bullpen. For the most part, same thing besides a few jitters in his final appearance (which was his first start).

I will let others think he has busted out. But if you really want in inside track on next season, you would read what I just posted and use it to your advantage next year after Luke wins a spot in the rotation next year.

How is the #1 overall pick a sleeper?

Where Adrian Gonzalez and Joe Mauer not sleepers in 2006?... And wasn't Josh Hamilton a bit of a sleeper this year? For awhile at least...

I'm digging the minor league #'s on Antonelli (last year in college #'s as well) and Cueto. Antonelli does have to go through another Padres first round pick Kahlil Green or Marcus Giles though. Giles was awful this year, maybe he can take over at 2B.

Antonelli went to my high school.

2 grades above me.

He's the most unreal athlete: 3 sport captain at a prep school: St John's Prep in Danvers Mass.

I'm so pumped that the Pads are looking like they'll give him the opportunity to open up the season as the 2B.

impact: evan longoria

sleeper: jordan schafer (sizemore comparisions beacuse of speed, power and defense. He'll take over CF for the Braves at some point next season, raking in th AFL and wouldn't be shocked if he makes the jump staright from High-A ball like Furcal)

impact: evan longoria

sleeper: jordan schafer (sizemore comparisions beacuse of speed, power and defense. He'll take over CF for the Braves at some point next season, raking in th AFL and wouldn't be shocked if he makes the jump staright from High-A ball like Furcal)

Any idea how he comes in on Rankings for prospects in the Braves system and MLB?

Any idea how he comes in on Rankings for prospects in the Braves system and MLB?

schafer just got hurt in the AFL, he will probably drop a little bit

Stud: Homer Bailey

Sleeper: I hope this qualifies as a sleeper - Jeff Clement

I've always been a huge Clement fan and think he's an eventual all-star.

Now that Salty and Andrus have been traded I'd put Schafer at the top, #1 over OF Brandon Jones and SP Tommy Hanson.

He's back in the AFL.

Impact Player: I think Evan Longoria and Joey Votto would be my picks.

Sleeper: Now, this is where I'm not sure how to answer. One guy I'm thinking off is Jonathan Meloan for the Dodgers, but I don't know how much of a sleeper he is. Ian Kennedy could also be one. My other choice would be Carlos Gonzalez from the D-Backs.