Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bizplayboy

1 Impact player 1 sleeper

with Dusty now at the helm I wouldn't trust either Bruce or Votto to be an impact player. But I can't really come up w/ anyone else that could make an "impact" (thinking Braun here) other than Bruce or Justin Upton.

sleeper: Alex Gordon will be ranked much lower on the lists than he should be (I see 25 HRs, 25 SBs, .900 OPS) but I guess I will go with Felix Pie. Oft compared to Corey Patterson but he has much more power and better base running instincts. He has thoroughly ripped apart AAA pitching, the only person that can hold him back now is Lou Piniella. I watched him mangle young player after young player in TB, so I'm hoping the GM there (Hendry?) keeps his word and they give this kid the opportunity to fall on his face a few times before jerking him around.

Impact: Joba Chamberlain (AL)

Colby Rasmus (NL)

Sleeper: Luke Hochevar (AL) - a coin flip, massive bust or a pleasent surprise. He's better than he showed last year and the Royals will start their ascent into respectability this year.

Clayton Kershaw (NL) - just considering a sleeper because in reality he should be another year away but I think we'll see

him in 2008. A better sleeper may be his teammate Scott Elbert since he's coming off major surgery and missed most of the last season. Agree with Antonelli too.

My impact player would be: Cameron Maybin in Florida

Sleeper candidate: Scott Elbert in Los Angeles.

Maybin will be playing every day. The front office in Florida can't tell its fans that it sent Cabrera to Detroit just to have a player in the minors. As for Elbert, his fierce competitiveness and abilities, and recent injury, make him the most under rated prospects in MLB. I remember reading in Baseball America that this kid should be rated higher than Kershaw. He's a power throwing lefty who doesn't have Schmidt in his way for the first half of the year. I quote from CBS "Elbert, who is the Dodgers' top pitching prospect, won't throw for several months. The Dodgers hope to have his shoulder 100 percent by spring training."

You guys can go with Cueto and Votto all you want, but I know Dusty. Neither of those guys will get the playing time they need unless someone takes him out first or they get traded to Baltimore for Bedard. Then, my list would change to Maybin and Cueto.

It would have been Bruce (impact) and Cueto (sleeper) but like much of the rest on this thread, Dusty scares me too.

So I will go with:

Longoria/Rasmus (tie for impact)

Brandon Wood (sleeper) - there is much post hype potential here, especially with only Erick Aybar ahead of him now.