Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yoda

Rotoworld Forum 2012 Mock Draft I

I believe last year there were 2 or 3 replacements. Dont know about the 2nd one, as I didn't follow that thread as much. I would prefer not to moderate either, but will if noone else doesn't step to the plate.

Should be first come first serve I think, and if there's interest in doing one after. Theres plenty of time for more, and no Im not just saying that because I was 12th.

Just take the first 12 to respond. Lets get it started.

I don't want to moderate but I would suggest we do as if it is a league with CI/MI and 4 or 5 OF. And everyone should put their team to date every time they make a pick.

If you feel you need to replace one of us I would understand. Personally though, I have a been a long time reader, and have a slight addiction to fantasy Baseball (especially drafting) and check these forums averaged out a day on an hourly basis, and don't plan on giving it up any time soon...

If you feel you need to replace one of us I would understand. Personally though, I have a been a long time reader, and have a slight addiction to fantasy Baseball (especially drafting) and check these forums averaged out a day on an hourly basis, and don't plan on giving it up any time soon...

I feel the same.

Additionally, Id prefer 5 OF as well. For a fantasy baseball forum draft, Id think we'd want more then just the top 36 OF or so discussed a little bit.

From last year's agreed upon format:

A few points to cover from past mock drafts experiences & integrating into the Main Forum:

-Since the FBB Main Forum is for the public at large, by all means use the draft as a means to promote discussion - but keep it general (as in, no BC questions for posters here, please - those are for the BC Forum). It also means the general, 5x5 mixed league format is the default format of choice, in keeping with the generalizable theme.

-We'll keep to the "one topic, one thread" principle on the Main Forum - for now, this will be the mock Draft in play - once this is done, if others want to go, it can be piggybacked on to the end of this draft. This is meant to allow other threads their time in the main Forum, to cover the entire breadth of general topics / player discussion reserved for the Main Forum. Otherwise, draft questions that are league/setting specific will go to the BC Forum, or other mock drafts to the Rankings Forums. Members that are forming leagues, sorry guys, but drafts don't go here - they go to the "Your League Threads" Forum.

-Most importantly, as the 2 links referred to above, let's keep it civil & respectful, as always, as per the CoC. The splitting & restarting of the last Hoops mock Draft shouldn't happen again if we can keep things civil, respectful & on-topic.

If the community mock draft works well, a 2nd community draft is certainly possible - but in keeping with the "1 topic, 1 thread" theme, and as the Forum's scope is much wider than MDC or Couch Managers, it's only 1 community mock draft at a time.

With the ground rules in place, once the community gets 12 owners in, let the community begin here!

Best practices:

Couple of thoughts from previous experiences doing these and last year's in football:

1. One thing that would be helpful is for the manager who just drafted to PM the manager OTC to let him know. Some guys aren't aware or can only get emails at work or RW is blocked at work. Could speed things up.

2. Look a few cars ahead. If we could see we were going to be OTC and out of pocket during the day, then we would PM someone we trusted our pick (generally 3 players in order that may be on the board).

3. We always implemented a time frame. Sometimes things happen and if you don't, you could end up waiting a whole day or two. In the rare instances that someone was out of pocket for a long time and hadn't warned us, a few of us would make a decision for them based on need, etc. This happens rarely and we never had a problem from someone that came back being angry. If your going to do a full draft then when round 8 or 9 rolls around, folks aren't as thrilled to be waiting around half a day.

These are just some thoughts that may expedite the process and improve the experience. Take what you like and good luck to all.....

Also because this will be for the community as a whole, this will function as a first come, first serve basis.....Probably need about 15 people to sign up....

1) Yoda

2) Dodger Blue 88

3) Code of Hammurabi

4) Phizzics

5) Wombat

6) supac720

7) dsw283

8) squidthunder

9) jaymaynard

10) mjb03003

11) prestigeworldwide

12) brockpapersizer

Im fine with that draft order too, those were the first 12.

As I mentioned before and Bateman reiterated, we need a few back ups before we can begin. Does anyone want to be a back up?

1) Yoda

2) Dodger Blue 88

3) Code of Hammurabi

4) Phizzics

5) Wombat

6) supac720

7) dsw283

8) squidthunder

9) jaymaynard

10) mjb03003

11) prestigeworldwide

12) brockpapersizer

Im fine with that draft order too, those were the first 12.

You'll need 3 alternates before you begin.

Also folks, one of these mock drafts disintegrated into a flame war and some needless drama. If you want to do this, you are agreeing to not only to abide by the CofC but to have the utmost respect for your fellow drafter. Also, you absolutely have to be available. If you are not around and the group decides to draft for you, then live with it....It's only a mock draft....

Also, before you begin, I would have someone PM all the folks in the draft to confirm their interest, ensure they can abide by the rules of the draft, and to alert them to when you begin....

You'll need 3 alternates before you begin.

Also folks, one of these mock drafts disintegrated into a flame war and some needless drama. If you want to do this, you are agreeing to not only to abide by the CofC but to have the utmost respect for your fellow drafter. Also, you absolutely have to be available. If you are not around and the group decides to draft for you, then live with it....It's only a mock draft....

Also, before you begin, I would have someone PM all the folks in the draft to confirm their interest, ensure they can abide by the rules of the draft, and to alert them to when you begin....

I'll be an alternate.

I mean its just a mock draft... Just start it and if someone doesn't make their pick they get replaced by the first person to volunteer? Does it need to be this formal?

Not necessarily but I think if we are going to take the time to do it, we would like it to be as realistic as possible.

Not that you all care either but I had the 7th pick in all 5 of my big $ leagues last year. Seems I'm doomed with the 7th pick again this year >.<...

I mean its just a mock draft... Just start it and if someone doesn't make their pick they get replaced by the first person to volunteer? Does it need to be this formal?

In a word, yes. Otherwise, it fails to get off the ground and rarely does it last to completion. I've seen more than a few of these fail because they just try and start without any guidelines....

It's a lot of commitment and it takes a long time to do this.

I still think we need a confirmation process to make sure all those 12 are for sure in.

Is this OK for people?

Time limit: 4 hours for picks (only counts between 9 AM-5 PM Eastern). If you might be away, PM your top few choices to the person after you.

Must PM the next person once you make your pick.

Rosters:

C

1B

3B

CI

2b

SS

MI

OF

OF

OF

OF

OF

Util

P

P

P

P

P

P

P

P

P

Pretty much ESPN's default. I'd be open to 2-3 bench spots or a 2nd Catcher if people were too. But I'd leave the above as the proposal for now.

Have two questions since new to the forum....How do I PM someone and what does it mean to follow to a thread? I clicked follow but do not see any difference. Thanks.

Easiest way is to click their name and send message, and follow it will just let you know if anything is replied to the topic.

Prestige: The idea is to have the draft in this thread.

Dodger Blue: You click on someones name and message them. Not sure about the follow thread part.

The question of how many roster spots to fill has come up. I'd strongly caution against expanding to a deeper or more complicated mock. It took about two weeks for the first community mock draft to complete last season using 21 roster spots. Also, as Patrick Bateman pointed out, the idea is to make this a generic as possible so that everyone can benefit from it.

Here's a link to 2011's draft:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?/topic/217330-rw-forum-2011-community-mock-draft-i/page__view__findpost__p__2057968

I'd suggest keeping the same format but let's get it finalized while we're waiting for alternates to sign up.

C

1B

2B

3B

SS

OF

OF

OF

Util

SP

SP

RP

RP

P

P

P

BN

BN

BN

BN

BN

maybe i missed this earlier but are we doing it on here or anther site?

The slow draft is going to take place here in this thread. Depending on how everything flows, it could take up to a week, maybe two.