Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Justin Upton 2012 Season Outlook

945 posts in this topic

He's got great speed.

Ok, but he has stolen 21,18, 20 the last three years. Granted the first two were in 135ish games each. I am just saying I don't think the Kemp comparisons as far as potential 40/40 are realistic from the steals end of it. I am not trying to knock the guy, I love him. I just would expect 20-25 steals this year, which is absolutely fine.

Ok, but he has stolen 21,18, 20 the last three years. Granted the first two were in 135ish games each. I am just saying I don't think the Kemp comparisons as far as potential 40/40 are realistic from the steals end of it. I am not trying to knock the guy, I love him. I just would expect 20-25 steals this year, which is absolutely fine.

Understandable. This isn't in any way perfect but his Speed Score (Spd) on Fangraphs: Speed score (Spd) is a statistic developed by Bill James that rates a player on their speed and baserunning ability. Different locations include slightly different components, but the FanGraphs version consists of, “…Stolen Base Percentage, Frequency of Stolen Base Attempts, Percentage of Triples, and Runs Scored Percentage.”

Upton was 31st in MLB last year with a 6.0 Spd:

2011 - 6.0

2010 - 5.2

2009 - 6.6

2008 - 4.5

2007 - 6.8

Plus he passes the eye test IMO. He's very quick and fast around the bases. I think the lack of attempts are a function of managerial decision and game situation.

Justins fast. I remember reading an article last year in which they interviewed both the Upton brothers and when asked they both agreed Justin is the faster straight line runner out of the two, FWIW

Sucks for the teams who have J-Up and D-Wright. Jammed thumb and bruised pinkie.

Do you think Gehrig or Ripken ever jammed their pinkies or thumbs?

1 person likes this

Great...first Mike Morse's setback and now this. Hopefully he is just day to day.

I've never played baseball but seriously... a jammed thumb? I can't imagine him being out for more than just tonight's game.

Sucks for the teams who have J-Up and D-Wright. Jammed thumb and bruised pinkie.

Yeah I have Phillips too, out 3-4 days and Kershaw who left his first start early with the flu... and more from later in draft, but picks 1-4, ugh.

Hopefully we get some word on what the cause was, that could help reassure his owners.

That'd be me.

I bet they did, and I bet they went 0-5 every day they played with a hurt hand.

I've never played baseball but seriously... a jammed thumb? I can't imagine him being out for more than just tonight's game.

I know it sounds lame, but as someone who played - a "jammed" thumb could really effect your swing from point of contact through extension in your swing. I just hope it isn't sprained - that could be a mess that could go on and off for along time.

Wow that was a terrible article. Someone needs a proof reader.

Same author who predicted Bruce wuuld suck last year.

So some guys (your) blog is supposed to make me think J-Up is due for a huge regression? Not buying it.

Due to lingering injuries. We'll see.

I wouldn't say the thumb is of any concern based on some of the hacks he took today.

J Up has been scuffling to find his stroke since the start of spring, only 6 xtra base hits through spring til today, No HR's total, and no regular season SBs. His OBP has been excellent as he is drawing his walks.

He looks to be slowly finding his swing, was right on a few pitches today he fouled straight back, and he wasn't chasing any crap. I think we are gonna see The Good Upton go off really soon.

Here's to MISSLES!!!

All he needs is the first HR. You can tell he's trying to crank it every time he's up. He went all spring w/o a HR and so far this seasons w/o one. His swing is still a beauty, so once he gets the first one out of the way. It's go time.