Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYSportsfan24

Lorenzo Cain 2012 Season Outlook

355 posts in this topic

Just crushed one off of Weaver

Yeah, and he's plenty strong. I wouldn't question his strength at all.

Kid is listed at 6'2", 200. and only 25... not sure where this little guy impression is coming from, but kid has pop and room to grow.

Keep sleeping on this kid because he "looks" small and someone else in your league, like me, will be smiling all season.

FISH ON!!

1 person likes this

Kid is listed at 6'2", 200. and only 25... not sure where this little guy impression is coming from, but kid has pop and room to grow.

Keep sleeping on this kid because he "looks" small and someone else in your league, like me, will be smiling all season.

FISH ON!!

seriously. Jacohy Ellsbury isn't exactly Barry Bonds physique-wise

seriously. Jacohy Ellsbury isn't exactly Barry Bonds physique-wise

Exactly... it's about bat speed and torque. Look at a guy like Alfonso Soriano.

Here's today's monster HR.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20249699&c_id=mlb

.185 ISO in AAA last year... he will be 26 in April. Maybe he hasn't hit his power peak yet. He's looking like a really nice sleeper who could give you Melky Cabrera 2011 numbers.

Not a bad post, Tim...and I apologize for being a wiseass about you being a scout...we're all entitled to our own opinions and that's what makes the forums great...I may be biased because I own him in two leagues...ok, I am biased...just hoping for the best!

FISH ON!!

You're done growing height wise when you're 25. He doesn't look 6'2" 200, he does look really skinny.

Either way I'm sure he's a solid player, just not a guy I personally was targeting. But I guy I feel I need to track.

Exactly... it's about bat speed and torque. Look at a guy like Alfonso Soriano.

His swing does look a bunch like Soriano. Especially his follow through.

What? 25 and done growing? Say it aint so!!

lol, funny. I was talking about him filling in his frame, muscle wise. but anyway, my league mates are doing the same thing, tracking him ...on my team. I'm sure I'll get a few bogus trade offers for him now. lol

FISH ON!!

What? 25 and done growing? Say it aint so!!

lol, funny. I was talking about him filling in his frame, muscle wise.

hence me saying height wise. But at this point, the only muscle you'll put on is if you get in the gym. A majority of natural human growth after 25 is getting fat.

Anyone think he's worth taking as a 5th outfielder or bench guy in a 12-team mixed league?

Absolutely...and I still think he should have 3rd OF value by midseason...

Jack Moore wrote a great article on fangraphs.com today about the new KC Royal Jason Bourgeois. Here's a link.

In the article, he explains how the Royals went out and got him to be a potential platoon for Cain, as Cain struggles against the south paw, whereas Bourgeois incidently, does not. He says that Bourgeois doesn't look to be in a straight platoon with Cain, but it could potentially dent his fantasy value.

I think it's a bit early in Cain's career for his manager or anyone else to determine that he needs a platoon partner. Let the guy hit against lefties for crying out loud and see what he's got. Also, not that it means much, but he's got a .700 avg vs lefties this spring.

If anyone might need a platoon partner, it's Alex Gordon and his career .234 mark against lefties

1 person likes this

I think it's a bit early in Cain's career for his manager or anyone else to determine that he needs a platoon partner. Let the guy hit against lefties for crying out loud and see what he's got. Also, not that it means much, but he's got a .700 avg vs lefties this spring.

If anyone might need a platoon partner, it's Alex Gordon and his career .234 mark against lefties

I agree. These managers and GMs really force the issue and stunt their own young players development. All the Matt Joyces of the world being stuck in platoons before they even get a chance to hit against LHP.

I am really not sure what there is to like about this kid other than opportunity. Low contact rate for a speedster, low BB rate, little to no power, good speed but low success rate. What am I missing?

In person today in Tempe I saw him close up and actually thought it was a good size dude, I'm 6'2" 220 and he looked about my size with spikes on. That ball he off Weaver was absolutely crushed, he's had a brutal time this spring with the sun.

I like what I've seen thus far.

Better end of the bench stash than Dexter Fowler?

you guys who are projecting him so low, and saying they don't see what's so good about him, calling him weak... COMON guys. IDK what you are looking at!?!

He is A BIG GUY. 6'2 210. Pedroia hits bombs and hes pushing 5'7. Cain also FLIES! He plays for a ballclub that made Francouer a 22 sb guy. Imagine what he will do on the basepaths!

PROJECTIONS:

FLOOR: .275, 75 r, 13 hr, 60 rbi, 25 sb

CEILING: .300 90 r, 20 hr, 70 rbi, 35 sb

Take the middle ground between those two and that's what im personally expecting out of this guy in 2012. Call me nuts, but you have to realize, people DO BREAK OUT. It's easy to sit back and say... eh i expect .255 9 hr and 15 sb from him... But guess what, you win fantasy leagues when you go out on a limb and make bold predictions, and take action by drafting/adding/trading for that player. This year, i am going after Cain in all my leagues, and I hope to be handsomely rewarded.

And don't hit me with anything about his GB% or any other jazz like that. The kid is 25 and still developing as a hitter. He will make adjustments, and I think we are seeing that he has already with this TORRID spring.

Hell yea, I drafted him cuz he was a beast in MLB 12 the show....looks like its showing on the field too :)

you guys who are projecting him so low, and saying they don't see what's so good about him, calling him weak... COMON guys. IDK what you are looking at!?!

He is A BIG GUY. 6'2 210. Pedroia hits bombs and hes pushing 5'7. Cain also FLIES! He plays for a ballclub that made Francouer a 22 sb guy. Imagine what he will do on the basepaths!

PROJECTIONS:

Take the middle ground between those two and that's what im personally expecting out of this guy in 2012. Call me nuts, but you have to realize, people DO BREAK OUT. It's easy to sit back and say... eh i expect .255 9 hr and 15 sb from him... But guess what, you win fantasy leagues when you go out on a limb and make bold predictions, and take action by drafting/adding/trading for that player. This year, i am going after Cain in all my leagues, and I hope to be handsomely rewarded.

And don't hit me with anything about his GB% or any other jazz like that. The kid is 25 and still developing as a hitter. He will make adjustments, and I think we are seeing that he has already with this TORRID spring.

Really? so a kid who has a career high of 16 HR in a minor league season, playing in the PCL as a 25 year old no less, now has a floor of 13 HR in the MLB....that's just laughable. I do like that he's 6'2 and Pedroia hits bombs and is only 5'7...if only scouting were that easy. It sounds to me that your taking a leap of faith, that's cool and all it might work out for you, but odds are it will not. I prefer to select my breakouts on actual facts.

Really? so a kid who has a career high of 16 HR in a minor league season, playing in the PCL as a 25 year old no less, now has a floor of 13 HR in the MLB....that's just laughable. I do like that he's 6'2 and Pedroia hits bombs and is only 5'7...if only scouting were that easy. It sounds to me that your taking a leap of faith, that's cool and all it might work out for you, but odds are it will not. I prefer to select my breakouts on actual facts.

My response to this would be that players DEVELOP. Yea, Cain had 16 hrs last year in the minors, but hmmm, you forgot to mention it was in 128 GAMES! Prorate that over a full season and you have yourself 20 hrs. You also forgot to mention how his ISO has steadily risen, and took a MAJOR jump last year. He improved his LD% and also cut down on his strikeouts. His BABIP is completely justified when you take into consideration his LD/GB% and speed. He's shown that he can take walks at a 10% clip before, and his OBP's have been fantastic. If he hits 2nd in that order, it should lead to a PLETHORA of SB attempts, and run scoring opportunities with Hosmer and Butler hitting behind him. No one knows what wil happen, it's all a guessing game, but like i said, Jose Bautistas do happen. He is an extreme case of a player adjusting and making a hugeeee improvement, and i dont think my projections on Cain are anything that crazy.That being said, this is just my feeling, and i respect other people's opinions who feel otherwise. Hope i help someone out on draft day and that Cain becomes a steal for all of you guys.

Here he is loading up on a swing yesterday. I personally think the Soriano comparison in body type is a decent one. He's "long and athletic". As has been said, that was a bomb. Over the back chain link fence at Tempe is a shot even on a warm day. Also a nice guy and flipped me a game ball as Pujols lined out to him to end the 3rd or 4th inning :)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4291/springtraining3138.jpg

BTW, Fear the Beard said he's had a tough time in the sun. Yep. Every game Ive been too he loses one. I will say that CF & LF are the tough sun positions out here in Phoenix with the way the fields are oriented to the sun.

I'm aboard the Cain train. CHOO CHOO

He looks very good this spring, but then again spring doesn't really mean anything. Pitchers are working on certain pitches all the time and its basically practice. But that .500 average is looking nice!

side note: My 3rd OF spot and UTIL are weak(Markakis, Dee Gordon), so I'm stashing Cain in hopes he turns out to be good.

Interesting that he batted 4th tonight behind Hosmer. He went 2-4 with a double and 1 run. He batted ahead of Francoeur and Moustakas. I guess the manager wanted to take advantage of his hot bat.

I'm still not sure what to really think of Cain, he hasn't been running that much this spring and I don't know if he can really hit 15 homers in the bigs. Is he better then Jd Martinez or De Aza?

PROJECTIONS:

Not much room between that floor and ceiling. Only a bit of crawl space

1 person likes this