Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yoda

Ask a Fantasy Jedi: The Truth Can You Handle?

I love analyzing teams and situations but won't have time to look at every post in this forum. If you want my input or analysis, then please post in this thread and I will get back to you asap. Cheers! :)

Great idea, Im the same way. Kind of makes me want to steal your idea...

If you have time...(team in sig)

I think I can trade Lawrie straight up for Granderson. The problem is that the other guy has Bonifacio at 3B, so if I propose a multi-player deal the only 3B options I'll have will be Daniel Murphy (my backup), Emilio, or a FA like Headley.

Do you think my team looks better with Grandy and lower tier 3B or should I stand pat with Lawrie and the OF I have?

If you have time...(team in sig)

I think I can trade Lawrie straight up for Granderson. The problem is that the other guy has Bonifacio at 3B, so if I propose a multi-player deal the only 3B options I'll have will be Daniel Murphy (my backup), Emilio, or a FA like Headley.

Do you think my team looks better with Grandy and lower tier 3B or should I stand pat with Lawrie and the OF I have?

I think Lawrie is a bit overvalued but the drop off to Bonifacio, Murphy, and Headley are just too great. I think you have a very good offense so I don't see the need to make any moves.

Why do you want to make the trade just out of curiosity?

http://forums.rotowo...o-to-trade-for/

thanks yoda...your a huge help to these forums, always see your posts insightful and helpful man!

Thank you for the kind words but I actually learn a ton my self when looking at these.

It's the team in my signature...I had pulled off a few trades after winning the league last year, but having a rather old squad. We keep 14 players each year. It's a 7x6 H2H league, with TB and OBP added for hitting, and L added for pitching...so having the higher end pitchers and guys that walk a ton help out.

I don't mind rolling with Cuddyer at 2B this year, but I feel I need to find a young-ish 2B for the future...And there's still quite a bit of talent in my eyes on the WW, so I wouldn't mind pulling off a 2 for 1 type deal.

Is there any type of guys you think that could help my team's weak spots? I feel like I'll be able to compete in just about every category, but I could use some help in deciding which guys to target.

Thanks guys, and will help in return!

How many do you start in OF? The main problem I see is your IF depth. You have some injury risks and players coming off a bad year. Your pitching is ridiculously good given the format so maybe try to package Beckett or Zimmermann?

8 man, mixed league, 5x5 Roto, keeper auction league, up to 15 keepers...I give up Drew Stubbs $1 and receive Cory Luebke $1...

My other keepers include..

Wieters $9

Michael Young $1

Pedroia $11

Bautista $16

Reyes $39

Moustakas $1

Kemp $16

J Upton $16

Jay Bruce $11

Billy Butler $9

Roy Halladay $49

Madison Bumgarner $16

James Shields $1

Mariano Rivera $7

I'd hang onto Stubbs for $1. You already have 3 very good pitchers.

Thank you for the kind words but I actually learn a ton my self when looking at these.

How many do you start in OF? The main problem I see is your IF depth. You have some injury risks and players coming off a bad year. Your pitching is ridiculously good given the format so maybe try to package Beckett or Zimmermann?

We start LF/CF/RF/OF...and 2 Utility spots.

We start LF/CF/RF/OF...and 2 Utility spots.

Gotcha. I still like the idea of getting some depth in IF. I'm not a huge Bonifacio fan but he qualifies at multiple positions no? Cuddyer's value gets a boost also. I'd try to get another player or two who can fill in around the field. Given 14 teams and H2H settings, you will be surprised how much more value they have.

Just learning this year and have a small 8 team H2H draft this afternoon. Have been trying different ideas on 3 mock drafts. The first one I tried to balance the team and it looked sucky, the second one I just let auto take over after round 6 as the team was going nowhere fast.

The third one is more interesting as i tried to draft the best hitter in the first 6 rounds. Braun, Votto, Stanton, Tex, Holiday, and then Pence. The team ended up of-1st base heavy as I also got Butler, Hosmer, Bourn, and C.Young. With the glut of these players if this would be a real draft I was thinking that trading Braun for pitching would work. Or is trading hitting for pitching a stupid idea? Or just trading your #1 pick dumb?

Just learning this year and have a small 8 team H2H draft this afternoon. Have been trying different ideas on 3 mock drafts. The first one I tried to balance the team and it looked sucky, the second one I just let auto take over after round 6 as the team was going nowhere fast.

The third one is more interesting as i tried to draft the best hitter in the first 6 rounds. Braun, Votto, Stanton, Tex, Holiday, and then Pence. The team ended up of-1st base heavy as I also got Butler, Hosmer, Bourn, and C.Young. With the glut of these players if this would be a real draft I was thinking that trading Braun for pitching would work. Or is trading hitting for pitching a stupid idea? Or just trading your #1 pick dumb?

In an 8 team league, position scarcity is magnified. Make sure you are grabbing studs because the gap is great between good and bad starters. With that in mind, H2H is better for hitters. I would only trade Braun if you can get a stud bat at a weak position and a stud pitcher.

Who would you rather have?

JUp for 3 yrs, Pence for 2 yrs

or

JUp for 2 yrs, Bruce for 3 yrs

Who would you rather have?

JUp for 3 yrs, Pence for 2 yrs

or

JUp for 2 yrs, Bruce for 3 yrs

Hmm tough one. I think this comes down to the best player and that's Upton. He has the highest upside and the youngest. Controlling him for an extra year into his prime is worth more to me than Bruce's extra year.

I am in a 12 team keeper league. We have to keep 10 players every year and the players have no round value and can keep them for as many seasons as we'd like. Who is getting a better deal in this trade:

I give Robinson Cano and Carlos Gonzalez

I get Mike Stanton, Anderew McCutchen and Eric Hosmer

I am in a 12 team keeper league. We have to keep 10 players every year and the players have no round value and can keep them for as many seasons as we'd like. Who is getting a better deal in this trade:

I give Robinson Cano and Carlos Gonzalez

I get Mike Stanton, Anderew McCutchen and Eric Hosmer

Tough questions... Depends on who your other keeper are. If Hosmer replaces a borderline top 120 players (12 teams X 10 keepers) then yes, this deal certainly make sense especially if you have a solid option at 2B. However, keep in mind that you are giving up arguably he best players in the deal in Cano and Cargo, which I generally advise against. I think it comes down to your comfort level and how you value these players. If you believe that Stanton, McCutchen, and Hosmer will take a step up then do it. Don't if you think these guys will have a hard time matching Cargo, Cano plus your worst player.

Are all points leagues generally the same? Pitching will score more points on average?

No they are not all the same. In my limited experience, they tend to favor starting pitching as negative categories are added to hitters like K, GIDP, E, etc that pull down the value of studs. Also, H, 2B, 3B on hitters side boosts the value of speedsters. On the pitching side, QS, IP, CG, H, BS, etc all devalue relievers while boosting starting pitchers.

But it really depends. Be sure to know exactly what the settings are and how points are calculated before your draft. You should find out who the top players were from 2011 in your format.

Yoda,

Is Paul Goldschmidt and Jacob Turner a decent return for an aging Ryan Howard in a dynasty league?

10 team, 7 keeper league- fairly standard points based league that favors hitters, pitchers have a 1400 innings cap, which further hinders having too much pitching. Right now I'm keeping:

Pujols

Lawrie

Bruce

Price

Cain

Haren

I have one spot left, which I can leave empty and have an extra pick early in the draft.

My other keeper options include:

Aram

Crawford

Stubbs

J. Montero

Utley

Cuddyer

Latos

Beachy

M. Moore

Do you keep one of these guys as your 7th, or take the extra early draft pick in what could be a fairly talented draft pool? Do you swap out anyone I'm currently keeping with the options below?

Check out the team in my sig...would you deal Greinke for Matt Latos/Logan Morrison? It's a keeper league with unlimited keepers and I took over a team lacking offense.

Yoda,

Is Paul Goldschmidt and Jacob Turner a decent return for an aging Ryan Howard in a dynasty league?

Very good question. Let's look at the hitters first. Composite projections:

Goldschmidt: .253 AVG, 68 R, 22 HR, 75 RBI, 8 SB

Howard: .259, 60 R, 24 HR, 73 RBI, 1 SB

Given that Howard's hurt and has been in a decline the last few years, I think I'd rather gamble on Goldy especially in a dynasty. Just know that I'm very high on Goldschmidt but there is plenty of risk with him. I'd try to find a good backup for him if you pull the trigger.

Turner is a wild card since he's yet to make the roster and could have some growing pains. He's a top prospect but you have to treat him like a lottery ticket for this year.

Very disapp

Hmm tough one. I think this comes down to the best player and that's Upton. He has the highest upside and the youngest. Controlling him for an extra year into his prime is worth more to me than Bruce's extra year.

Very disappointing. Was expecting analysis more in the line of:

"Hmm, a tough one this is! The best player in the deal, to this your choice must come. Look at justin upton: the highest upside and youth he has. The force will only grow stronger with him. Control him, you must! A fantasy player craves not an extra year of Jay Bruce."

10 team, 7 keeper league- fairly standard points based league that favors hitters, pitchers have a 1400 innings cap, which further hinders having too much pitching. Right now I'm keeping:

Pujols

Lawrie

Bruce

Price

Cain

Haren

I have one spot left, which I can leave empty and have an extra pick early in the draft.

My other keeper options include:

Aram

Crawford

Stubbs

J. Montero

Utley

Cuddyer

Latos

Beachy

M. Moore

Do you keep one of these guys as your 7th, or take the extra early draft pick in what could be a fairly talented draft pool? Do you swap out anyone I'm currently keeping with the options below?

What are some of the top guys available at the draft? Aramis is not nearly as attractive with Lawrie. Crawford's hurt and the wrist injury probably shouldn't affect him but he's very risky. Moore is tempting because he could be a stud but you already have 3 pitchers and need bats. The main problem is, I don't like your hitters that much. I may just toss them all back and use the extra pick for the best hitter available.