Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yoda

Ask a Fantasy Jedi: The Truth Can You Handle?

This is simply an opportunistic move on my part. The other manager named his team "Blue Jays" and sent me a really bad trade offer for Lawrie. I'm trying not to take too much advantage of him, but I'd guess that I can ask for anyone on his team and I'll get it. I thing you're right that a single player trade makes it a Pyrrhic victory for me: I get the better player in the trade but overall hurts my team.

I think I'm going to offer Lawrie and Kipnis for Grandy and Josh Johnson. It's a shallow league and Kip is my Util player. There are plenty of FA OF's who will probably outperform him. I agree that my 3B situation will be something to address, but with the extra offense and another solid pitcher, I'm pretty sure I can trade my way to a top tier 3B and still wind up way ahead.

I always appreciate your advice, so thanks for creating this thread!

Sounds good. I know Granderson is regarded much higher in a vacuum so it comes down to your comfort level at 3B. It seems like you thought about a potential hole there but as long as you can cover it with the rest of you team then it doesn't matter. And like you said, worst case scenario you can trade for one.

Good luck but you probably won't need it. :D

i know i asked stantons value in a dynasty league and you replied but now i am going to get specific....how do you feel about stanton straight up for kershaw in a dynasty league? my sp's are price gallardo moore stras and hanson....decent to really just prospects and my outfield would still have cutch kemp and cargo....utility i can rotate j. montero or smoak trout once he hits the bigs....

i know i asked stantons value in a dynasty league and you replied but now i am going to get specific....how do you feel about stanton straight up for kershaw in a dynasty league? my sp's are price gallardo moore stras and hanson....decent to really just prospects and my outfield would still have cutch kemp and cargo....utility i can rotate j. montero or smoak trout once he hits the bigs....

Sorry I forgot what I said but Stanton's value is probably around top 10 in dynasty/keeper. I think you toss a coin between Kershaw and Stanton but I'd still hang onto him. Not sure how many guys you have projected to hit 30 HR in 2012 but I have less than 15 at the moment. I think your pitching is good enough so I probably wouldn't even consider the deal.

thanks for the input....one other question i have a chance to get trevor bauer or neftali feliz? preference? same league

Just FYI but dzemen and I will share the responsibility of responding to questions going forward (hence the title change). I didn't realize how many people would post but it has been pretty overwhelming today. I want to make sure that we get back to each one of you in a timely manner without having to rush through the responses. We are getting some really tough questions that require a lot of time and thought process. So keep them coming! Thanks.

thanks for the input....one other question i have a chance to get trevor bauer or neftali feliz? preference? same league

Im inclined to go with Bauer. The drop off in performance by Feliz last year in limited innings as a relief pitcher was concerning to me as is the fact that he was so heavily dependent on his fastball and will really need to start incorporating more breaking stuff effectively to his game. Bauer has Ace pedigree and while he might it might be a bit of time before he cracks the Diamonback rotation as they resigned Joe Saunders. Based on potential and upside its tough as Feliz has looked electric in the bigs already but I prefer the higher pedigree SP in this case.

Feeling stupid again but have a question about Yahoo settings. When it goes "Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow" does that mean you set your line ups daily. So for your team for Tuesdays lineup you would set it Monday and so forth. It isn't set it Monday for the week starting Tuesday.

Figure if I ask here the rest of the league won't know how much of an idiot I am. Football has os so much easier. :D

Thought i had my keepers locked up, but alex gordon was dropped by a leaving team. 10 team keeper league, 5x5 scoring keep 3.

Currently have

Brett Lawrie $1

Eric Hosmer $1

was going to keep CarGo for $37, however picking up ALex Gordon would cost me $1 and i'd have lots of money in the auction.

You can keep players for as long as you want, their salary doubles year to year ie year 1 $1, year 2 $2, Year 3 $4, Year 4 $8 etc.

So stay with CarGO or pick up Alex Gordon for the long term?

thanks

Feeling stupid again but have a question about Yahoo settings. When it goes "Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow" does that mean you set your line ups daily. So for your team for Tuesdays lineup you would set it Monday and so forth. It isn't set it Monday for the week starting Tuesday.

Figure if I ask here the rest of the league won't know how much of an idiot I am. Football has os so much easier. :D

Rosters can be changed the day of games, up to 5 minutes before first pitch. Thus you can edit Mondays lineup on monday etc. Any player you add to your roster Monday would not be available to play for your team until Tuesday.

Thought i had my keepers locked up, but alex gordon was dropped by a leaving team. 10 team keeper league, 5x5 scoring keep 3.

Currently have

Brett Lawrie $1

Eric Hosmer $1

was going to keep CarGo for $37, however picking up ALex Gordon would cost me $1 and i'd have lots of money in the auction.

You can keep players for as long as you want, their salary doubles year to year ie year 1 $1, year 2 $2, Year 3 $4, Year 4 $8 etc.

thanks

What are the starting spots? Without knowing the format, I'd probably pick up Gordon for $1 like you said. You'll have a lot of money left over at the draft.

Currently have

Brett Lawrie $1

Eric Hosmer $1

thanks

What players are going to be available in your auction and what type of money are other teams in your league going to have to spend? Whats your total budget each year? Those are big factors to be considered before your question can be fully answered. If you can drop CarGo and get him back for less in the draft than I think its a no brainer, would lean towards Gordon as is though for $1, hes not as talented but presents similar skills and at $37 you wont keep CarGo past this year. The player or players you can get with that extra money + CarGo are worth more than CarGo from a value standpoint and a long term keeper standpoint as well.

Hey Yoda, curious if you would make any changes to the players I elected to keep: http://forums.rotowo...am-6x6-auction/

Many thanks

After looking at your roster in the other post, I dont see any changes that I would make. You have a good mix of established players at cost (Fielder, McCutchen, Stanton) some established mid price options (Shields, Gordon, Kimbrel) and some huge upside guys at dirt cheap prices (Goldschmidt, Ackley, Jennings, Strasburg).

After looking at your roster in the other post, I dont see any changes that I would make. You have a good mix of established players at cost (Fielder, McCutchen, Stanton) some established mid price options (Shields, Gordon, Kimbrel) and some huge upside guys at dirt cheap prices (Goldschmidt, Ackley, Jennings, Strasburg).

Thanks for the feedback dzemens, appreciate it.

Please comment on my team in Sig. I am more worried about my 2nd team in the Sig where my hitters are kinda weak than pitchers. Please advice.

Also, any suggestion for Drafting in a Rotisserie League. I have a draft in 2 weeks. Last year i finished 4th as playing 1st time roto in money league. This year joined the same league and again we doing roto with 12 team. I was thinking this year go really heavy on hitters for first 13 or 14 rounds and than start piling on SP and RP. Than maybe trade few hitters for decent pitchers, but it also depends what position i will be in the draft, Any suggestion on what way should i draft in roto league.

Thanks a ton in advance on your comments.

Looking for some roto advice about possibly punting saves. I know its ill-advised for standard 5x5 leagues, but this is a 7x7 league: Hitting - H, Avg, R, RBI, SB, XBH, HR Pitching - W, SV, K, GIDP, ERA, WHIP, QS.

With the IP max sitting at 2300, I decided to draft a few guys slated as starters that still have RP status (i.e. luebke, bard, and sale). This is my first roto league, so im not sure if my strategy is mitigated from punting saves, considering the aforementioned factors? Brett Myers and Vinnie Pestano are still available as closers also.

Also, any advice on the team overall would be appreciated as well (e.g. drops etc...). Great thread btw.

Edit: 10-team league

C Matt Wieters (Bal - C)

1B Prince Fielder (Det - 1B)

2B Ian Kinsler (Tex - 2B)

3B Adrián Béltre (Tex - 3B)

SS Dee Gordon (LAD - SS)

CI Howie Kendrick (LAA - 1B,2B,OF)

CI Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B,OF)

OF Justin Upton (Ari - OF)

OF Hunter Pence (Phi - OF)

OF Shin-Soo Choo (Cle - OF)

OF Drew Stubbs (Cin - OF)

OF Álex Ríos (CWS - OF)

Util Bryan LaHair (ChC - OF)

Util Dexter Fowler (Col - OF)

BN Erick Aybar (LAA - SS)

BN Danny Espinosa (Was - 2B)

BN Colby Rasmus (Tor - OF)

BN Adam Dunn (CWS - 1B)

SP Zack Greinke (Mil - SP)

SP David Price (TB - SP)

SP Madison Bumgarner (SF - SP)

SP Daniel Hudson (Ari - SP)

SP Jordan Zimmermann (Was - SP)

SP Brandon Morrow (Tor - SP)

RP Matt Moore (TB - RP)

RP Cory Luebke (SD - SP,RP)

RP Chris Sale (CWS - RP)

RP Daniel Bard (Bos - RP)

BN Kenley Jansen (LAD - RP)

BN Mike Minor (Atl - SP)

16 team H2H 10 Keeper league I have M young who can go in either 2nd or 3rd base. This one is a little trick and I'm able to send carpenter away for either Uggla/youk/Phillips/ or Arod. Which out of those would you do. The guy has a surplus of all of them and feel im getting a good deal.

Please comment on my team in Sig. I am more worried about my 2nd team in the Sig where my hitters are kinda weak than pitchers. Please advice.

Also, any suggestion for Drafting in a Rotisserie League. I have a draft in 2 weeks. Last year i finished 4th as playing 1st time roto in money league. This year joined the same league and again we doing roto with 12 team. I was thinking this year go really heavy on hitters for first 13 or 14 rounds and than start piling on SP and RP. Than maybe trade few hitters for decent pitchers, but it also depends what position i will be in the draft, Any suggestion on what way should i draft in roto league.

Thanks a ton in advance on your comments.

For the 14 team league, I would consider packaging Jeter to upgrade your OF. I think your hitters will be fine overall but would definitely get a versatile hitter that you can insert around the field for off days since this is H2H.

I would go best available for your first 5-6 regardless of position If you purposely avoid pitchers then you won't get good value out of your premium draft picks. I'd grab around 2-3 pitchers in the first 10 rounds. Get 4 rock solid starting pitchers and wait to grab a high upside for your 5-6. Make sure to get 2 mid level closers and 2 speculative guys like Reed.

16 team H2H 10 Keeper league I have M young who can go in either 2nd or 3rd base. This one is a little trick and I'm able to send carpenter away for either Uggla/youk/Phillips/ or Arod. Which out of those would you do. The guy has a surplus of all of them and feel im getting a good deal.

Assuming its a 5x5 format I go Uggla. He gives you the most power of the group and barring a complete first half collapse like last year should provide plenty of RBI and R to go along with that as well. My next choices would go Youk, Arod, Phillips. No knock on Phillips, hes a 20/20 guy but over the course of a year thats pretty boring and I think Youk and Arod have more profit potential than Phillips would.

I really appreciate your input.

12 team NL-ONLY 5x5 keeper dynasty roto league....we keep 5 players

I have been offered Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman for Pablo Sandoval and Cameron Maybin. Would you prefer to have Goldschmidt instead over Freeman?

I am strongly considering taking the deal.

My other keepers are Ryan Braun, Jay Bruce, Jose Reyes

I like Heyward as a potential top 5 talent long term....Freeman....I'm unsure if he has the top end value that a Goldschmidt could have,

What are your thoughts?

Looking for some roto advice about possibly punting saves. I know its ill-advised for standard 5x5 leagues, but this is a 7x7 league: Hitting - H, Avg, R, RBI, SB, XBH, HR Pitching - W, SV, K, GIDP, ERA, WHIP, QS.

With the IP max sitting at 2300, I decided to draft a few guys slated as starters that still have RP status (i.e. luebke, bard, and sale). This is my first roto league, so im not sure if my strategy is mitigated from punting saves, considering the aforementioned factors? Brett Myers and Vinnie Pestano are still available as closers also.

Also, any advice on the team overall would be appreciated as well (e.g. drops etc...). Great thread btw.

Edit: 10-team league

C Matt Wieters (Bal - C)

1B Prince Fielder (Det - 1B)

2B Ian Kinsler (Tex - 2B)

3B Adrián Béltre (Tex - 3B)

SS Dee Gordon (LAD - SS)

CI Howie Kendrick (LAA - 1B,2B,OF)

CI Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B,OF)

OF Justin Upton (Ari - OF)

OF Hunter Pence (Phi - OF)

OF Shin-Soo Choo (Cle - OF)

OF Drew Stubbs (Cin - OF)

OF Álex Ríos (CWS - OF)

Util Bryan LaHair (ChC - OF)

Util Dexter Fowler (Col - OF)

BN Erick Aybar (LAA - SS)

BN Danny Espinosa (Was - 2B)

BN Colby Rasmus (Tor - OF)

BN Adam Dunn (CWS - 1B)

SP David Price (TB - SP)

RP Matt Moore (TB - RP)

RP Chris Sale (CWS - RP)

BN Mike Minor (Atl - SP)

I think punting SV is not a bad strategy considering the additional pitching categories so nice job there. I'd find a way to grab Pestano and Myers though because that would really boost your SVs. I'm not sure who I would drop but Rasmus is probably a good candidate if you think Sale/Bard will work out for you. I think you should keep your MI back ups though. I like Dunn just in case he rebounds.

SP David Price (TB - SP)

RP Matt Moore (TB - RP)

RP Chris Sale (CWS - RP)

BN Mike Minor (Atl - SP)

Lineup looks good so lets look at the pitching. Right now you only have one guy in line for some save chances in Kenley Jansen, Your starting 5 are good to great and I really like that, slotting a guy like Jordan Zimmerman in at 4SP is nice as he should have a really big year. Right now you have already punted saves, barring a change that much can be said. It is a strategy that is open for much debate and in a 5x5 Roto is very unlikely to be met with success. In a 7x7 things get a bit different, I punted saves in my 7x7 lsat year and finished in the money at 3rd overall so I wont tell you it cant be done. However, part of what made that easier to do was that our league counts holds as one of our expanded categories. Looking at your scoring settings it appears the SP will help you in 6 of the 7 pitching categories. If you feel you can dominate those categories with the staff you have assembled than punting saves can work. If you are hesitant you can lock up those categories then I think you need to make the speculative adds on guys like Pestano and Myers. Pestano looked great last year and has closing experience in the minors and with a good start could hold off perez who looked blah last year. Myers also has experience closing and has done well in that role. Not sure this really tells you which way to go, but hopefully it gives you some more info to be used in making your decision.

I really appreciate your input.

12 team NL-ONLY 5x5 keeper dynasty roto league....we keep 5 players

I have been offered Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman for Pablo Sandoval and Cameron Maybin. Would you prefer to have Goldschmidt instead over Freeman?

I am strongly considering taking the deal.

My other keepers are Ryan Braun, Jay Bruce, Jose Reyes

I like Heyward as a potential top 5 talent long term....Freeman....I'm unsure if he has the top end value that a Goldschmidt could have,

What are your thoughts?

If I were to take the deal, I would want Goldschmidt over Freeman. I agree with the sentiment that Heyward has an incredibly high ceiling, as long as his injury issues come under control but with a full offseason of rest he should be good to go, as the shoulder injury he had required rest he was unable to get with the Braves in contention last year.

For the 14 team league, I would consider packaging Jeter to upgrade your OF. I think your hitters will be fine overall but would definitely get a versatile hitter that you can insert around the field for off days since this is H2H.

I would go best available for your first 5-6 regardless of position If you purposely avoid pitchers then you won't get good value out of your premium draft picks. I'd grab around 2-3 pitchers in the first 10 rounds. Get 4 rock solid starting pitchers and wait to grab a high upside for your 5-6. Make sure to get 2 mid level closers and 2 speculative guys like Reed.

Thanks for the input.