Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yoda

Ask a Fantasy Jedi: The Truth Can You Handle?

Yoda, I always enjoy reading your input. I really like the idea of this thread too. Very educational and a great tool for this time of year especially! I have a new post that i would appreciate your input with.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?/topic/276536-trade-help-jup-for-verlander-straight-up/

Thanks ahead of time!

Can u guys check my question out?

Honestly I am probably going to drop Melky Cabrera AND Ike Davis given my team context. My offense looks like:

C - Carlos Santana

1B - Billy Butler

2B - Dan Uggla

3B - David Wright

SS - Hanley Ramirez

OF - Ryan Braun

OF - Howie Kendrick

OF - Chris Young

DH - David Ortiz

DH - Mark Reynolds

INJ - Ryan Howard

BN - Martin Prado

BN - Alexei Ramirez

BN - Ike Davis

BN - Melky Cabrera

I bought too many bats so I dont feel bad dropping 2 of them and I have Vinnie Pestano clear in my sites. Until another Pitcher jumps out at me I think I will hold Ike Davis. Plus it lets me wait out the Valley Fever issue. I have been trying to trade Melky Cabrera but nobody is biting.

So what does everyone think about me dropping Melky Cabrera for Vinnie Pestano??

Thanks bro(s)

Is this a 10 team league? If so then yes I think you can find someone comparable to Melky off waivers. I like Ike but he comes with healthy issues. I'd probably pick up Pestano for Melky. I think Melky will need some time to adjust in a worse hitting environment.

Is this a 10 team league? If so then yes I think you can find someone comparable to Melky off waivers. I like Ike but he comes with healthy issues. I'd probably pick up Pestano for Melky. I think Melky will need some time to adjust in a worse hitting environment.

12 teamer. I am just really trying to figure out who my 2 worst batters are right now. Its a Yahoo league, also H2H.

12 teamer. I am just really trying to figure out who my 2 worst batters are right now. Its a Yahoo league, also H2H.

Melky would be the one I let go. Hes in an offense that is a step down from KC and he did not look good in his last go with the NL, not to mention he wont be getting any benefit from the park he plays in. Im somewhat shocked that theres no trade market for him with that said, in a 12 team format with 3 OF and 2 UTL theres got to be somebody who could use him. Have you trieed pairing him up in a 2 for 1 type trade?

Yoda, I always enjoy reading your input. I really like the idea of this thread too. Very educational and a great tool for this time of year especially! I have a new post that i would appreciate your input with.

This trade is in the league for my team. 7 keepers. Standard ESPN H2H scoring.

Team 3#: ESPN H2H 10 team 7 keeper dynasty

C: C. SANTANA

1B:

2B:

SS:

3B: R. ZIMMERMAN

OF: R. BRAUN, N. CRUZ

UTIL:

SP: R. HALLADAY, J. VERLANDER, C. HAMELS

(I ALSO HAVE MADBUM, R. ROMERO AND C. CARPENTER THAT I CANT KEEP)

My pitching i pretty stacked and this guy has been wanting to make a trade really bad but keeps saying that JUp is his 1 untouchable but there is no one else on his team that I would keep over one of my keepers. He said he would only consider trading Upton for another "first round stud". My pitching is pretty stacked and I feel I could almost afford to trade Verlander and keep Doc and Hamels. If he doesnt bite, should I offer Verlander and Cruz? Then, I could keep Upton and MadBum. Or would i be giving up too much for JUp????

Thanks ahead of time!

Thank you for the kind words!

Yes definitely offer Verlander and Cruz. You already have Halladay and Hamels plus Madbum is already an ace IMO. Offense is more valuable in H2H anyway let alone a young slugger like JUP in a keeper.

Thanks Yoda! Alot of guys are saying to offer Halladay instead of Verlander. Thoughts?

Thanks Yoda! Alot of guys are saying to offer Halladay instead of Verlander. Thoughts?

Composite stats:

Verlander: 3.01 19, 235, 1.09

Halladay: 2.73, 18, 202, 1.07

Composite projections likes Verlander slightly better. It's a coin toss for me between the two but I like Halladay slightly better due to league and better track record. Verlander is coming off one of the best season I can remember so it's hard to say that will be the norm for him going forward. Keep the guy you like.

Are you sure this was your first auction draft? I'm pretty surprised at some of the prices you paid. I agree that your pitching is very good but it is high risk/reward after Lester (who knows if Shields can repeat). I don't know what your free agency looks like but get ready to pounce. You got decent value on your closers.

I think your hitting will be fine. You have a good mix of veterans and upside guys. I like that you backed up Ackely with Kipnis. I think Kipnis will surprise this year. Grabbing Gordon for Hanley was also a nice move. Gives you a nice trade bait down the road if Hanley returns to form. I'd hate to be the other guys looking at your roster for sure. Nice job. :D

Thanks for the feedback. I know that my pitching is very high risk/high reward, but with the innings limit in my league (1260), I'm thinking I can spot start just about everyone I drafted based on matchups and dump or trade the guys who under-perform. Right now the waiver wire is pretty thin which is why I loaded up on super-high upside guys knowing they could bust, but there are always gems that can be found in season if none of the guys I drafted pan out. I'd like to whittle my staff down to 4 or 5 by the ASB anyway.

And what you said was exactly my logic in coupling HanRam with Gordon and Ackley with Kipnis. Really, I did the same thing with Heyward and Ortiz. I figure one or both of each set of players will be startable, and if the other is as well I could trade them for an upgrade elsewhere.

But this really was my first auction league, even though I've been playing FBB for over 20 years and I have done FFB auction leagues. I did about 20 mock auctions leading up to the draft and read at least 15 articles on auction draft strategies not even including the RW thread on auction strategies, which I read from beginning to end. I just let the auction come to me and followed a few rules that I found... be patient early, never nominate a player you want, never bid to raise prices if you dont want the player, don't pay for saves, etc. And I was also able to create a budget sheet where I was able to predetermine how much I wanted to spend per position and who my targets were with their average costs, and it was fluid enough that my remaining budgets by position would fluctuate based on how much I over or under spent on previous bids. Really it just let me know when and where I could go after certain targets. But the auction itself was crazy. Around 40% of the entire leagues combined budget was spent on the first 45 picks out of 276 total picks. Pretty much everyone but myself and one or two other guys had our picks of the litter, though its not like the 9 or 10 other guys stopped bidding altogether. Its just that everyone at once realized they had overspent and began to reign it in. It did ramp back up around pick 170, but by then, the damage was done and my team was pretty set. But nobody is afraid of my team. They think having two to four 'first or second rounders' will outweigh my balanced roster. Only time will tell.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Our draft is in a week and I'm still undecided on who to keep for my last keeper spot.

Keepers - Matt Kemp (rd1) Ryan Zimmerman (rd6) Clayton Kershaw (rd7)

I'm trying to decide who to keep between Zack Greinke (rd11) OR Asdrubal Cabrera (rd23)

10 team, 5x5, Head to Head league. 4 keeper limit. Would love any advice.

Hey yoda I have both the first pick and 5th in my draft next week and was looking for insight as to who are the top 5 or so players of the draft choices. Scoring is: h2h rbis/runs/hrs/runs/sbs and k's/wins/whip/era/saves.

It's a 10 team 5 keepers(going to 3 in offseason though..) league and my keepers are Hosmer/Halladay/Jennings/Strasburg/Lawrie..

The best hitters left are: Dan Uggla, Ryan Zimmerman, Pablo Sandoval, Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Santana, Nelson Cruz, Brandon Phillips, Hunter Pence.

The best pitchers left are: CC, Haren, Greinke, Cain, Kennedy, Bumgarner.

Thanks!

I'm back, oh wise one :P

Now, with the settings I listed, and my team in my signature, would you trade Brandon Beachy and Brennan Boesch for James Shields and JD Martinez? I'd like to have the league's biggest lockdown staff, but I think I might be able to do that without making another trade....what do you think?

Hey yoda I have both the first pick and 5th in my draft next week and was looking for insight as to who are the top 5 or so players of the draft choices. Scoring is: h2h rbis/runs/hrs/runs/sbs and k's/wins/whip/era/saves.

It's a 10 team 5 keepers(going to 3 in offseason though..) league and my keepers are Hosmer/Halladay/Jennings/Strasburg/Lawrie..

The best hitters left are: Dan Uggla, Ryan Zimmerman, Pablo Sandoval, Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Santana, Nelson Cruz, Brandon Phillips, Hunter Pence.

The best pitchers left are: CC, Haren, Greinke, Cain, Kennedy, Bumgarner.

Thanks!

Scoring wasn't clear because you listed runs twice? I'm assuming it is AVG. You have very high risk/reward keepers except for Halladay. If they crap out then you are not going to have a fun season. Without knowing what everyone else has, it looks like your offense is weak in comparison. So let's focus on hitters first. I'd probably go with Carlos Santana and Dan Uggla in your case. Since it is only a 10 team league, you pretty much need a top player at every position. If Uggla gets snagged then I'd probably want Pence or Cruz.

I guess you can try to mitigate some risk by trading with someone who might want a young, high upside guy but that depends on how comfortable you are with your keepers.

I'm back, oh wise one :P

Now, with the settings I listed, and my team in my signature, would you trade Brandon Beachy and Brennan Boesch for James Shields and JD Martinez? I'd like to have the league's biggest lockdown staff, but I think I might be able to do that without making another trade....what do you think?

Composite projections:

Shields: 3.63 ERA, 15 W, 193 K, 1.19 WHIP

Beachy: 3.48 ERA, 10 W, 179 K, 1.18 WHIP

Shields had a lights out year but his peripherals suggest that he was a bit lucky. Still, he is very durable but doesn't have as much upside as Beachy. Beachy is one of my favorite pitchers as he works hard and attacks hitters with everything he has. While his stuff might not be elite, his command certainly is. It's rare to see a K pitcher with that type of command. The knock on him is health and he wore down last year. As your upside #3 in a 14 team league, he's perfect IMO.

Bautista/N Cruz for A-Gon/Beltre. Thoughts Jedi?

Bautista/N Cruz for A-Gon/Beltre. Thoughts Jedi?

Assuming all the weight lost and Cruz being in great shape equates to a full season, I take the Cruz/Bautista side,

If you could help Yoda, (Or anyone else) I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll be keeping- Matt Kemp (rd1) Ryan Zimmerman (rd6) Clayton Kershaw (rd7)

I'm trying to decide who to keep between Zack Greinke (rd11) OR Asdrubal Cabrera (rd23) or possibly Mark Texiera (rd2)

Draft, snake style. (I pick first, etc) 10 team, 5x5, Head to Head league. 4 keeper limit. Would love any advice you could give me on the subject!

I'm trying to decide who to keep between Zack Greinke (rd11) OR Asdrubal Cabrera (rd23) or possibly Mark Texiera (rd2)

Draft, snake style. (I pick first, etc) 10 team, 5x5, Head to Head league. 4 keeper limit. Would love any advice you could give me on the subject!

Hitters over pitchers and with Kersshaw you already have an ace. Question now is Cabrera over Tex? I would still go for Tex. He's worthy of a second round pick and 1B won't is not as deep as you think it is. Cabrera is also a regression candidate.

Hitters over pitchers and with Kersshaw you already have an ace. Question now is Cabrera over Tex? I would still go for Tex. He's worthy of a second round pick and 1B won't is not as deep as you think it is. Cabrera is also a regression candidate.

Absolutely right about pitchers. Cabrera is at a great value but will anyone as good as Teixeira at round 2? Probably not with 40 players being kept.

Absolutely right about pitchers. Cabrera is at a great value but will anyone as good as Teixeira at round 2? Probably not with 40 players being kept.

Thanks to both of you. Appreciate it.

Thanks to both of you. Appreciate it.

No prob. Stop by any time. :lol:

who you guys like between manny machado or jurickson profar? whats their upsides? thanks in advance

who you guys like between manny machado or jurickson profar? whats their upsides? thanks in advance

Funny, John Sickles just did this comparison at his website. He compares Machado to Arod and Profar to Hanley.

For fantasy purposes, I prefer Machado because I'm a sucker for power but I'm not sure if he'll stick at SS. Profar is a better athlete with more upside and probably sticks at SS.

Here is a keeper question for you. I have to keep 2.

10 team H2H. 2 Keepers, then 6 rounds of auction, then snake to fill out our rosters. We get $135 to spend on the 6 auction players plus the 2 keepers at last seasons salary.

Jose Reyes - $18 for 1 season

Cliff Lee - $12 for 1 season

Jay Bruce - $10 for 2 seasons

Desmond Jennings - $5 for 2 seasons

Lance Berkman or Jason Hayward - $5 for 2 seasons

Leaning towards Reyes and Jennings...your thoughts?

Here is a keeper question for you. I have to keep 2.

10 team H2H. 2 Keepers, then 6 rounds of auction, then snake to fill out our rosters. We get $135 to spend on the 6 auction players plus the 2 keepers at last seasons salary.

Jose Reyes - $18 for 1 season

Cliff Lee - $12 for 1 season

Jay Bruce - $10 for 2 seasons

Desmond Jennings - $5 for 2 seasons

Lance Berkman or Jason Hayward - $5 for 2 seasons

Leaning towards Reyes and Jennings...your thoughts?

What a crazy draft set up. Is your draft day not hectic and stressful enough? :D

I guess the auction allows weaker keeper teams a shot at the top players. So basically your budget is $135 for 8 players; an average of $17. That being said, you probably want to free up as much money as possible depending on who is available. I think I'd probably lean towards Reyes and Jennings as well. You want top players at the position and both players provide a lot of upside at only $23. That frees up $112 to spread over 6 guys. It doesn't seem like a lot but you still have more than you started with and have two star potential guys for under market value.