Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yoda

Ask a Fantasy Jedi: The Truth Can You Handle?

Hey Yoda, hoping you can help me here & take a look at these 2 teams, let me know what you think of them, & what improvements, if any, you'd suggest:

A. 15-team 5x5 roto. 1400 IP limit.

IF: Suzuki ©, Doumit ©, Konerko (1B), Kipnis (2B), Prado (3B), A. Ramirez (SS), Hosmer (CI), Hill (MI)

OF/UT: Braun, McCutchen, Hart, Rios, JD Martinez (OF), Gamel (UT)

BN: Figgins (3B), S-Rodriguez (2B/3B/SS), Smoak (1B), L. Scott (1B/OF), E-Thames (OF)

SP: Sabathia, Bumgarner, Beachy, Scherzer, Baker, Minor, Peavy

RP: Betancourt, Nathan, M. Adams, Benoit

B. 14-team 5x5 roto. 2000 IP limit.

IF: Soto ©, Hundley ©, Votto (1B), Kipnis (2B), Beltre (3B), Desmond (SS), Lind (CI), Hill (MI)

OF/UT: Pence, Bruce, Choo, Tabata, Boesch (OF), JD Martinez (UT)

BN: Scutaro (2B/SS), Gamel (1B), LaHair (OF)

SP: Haren, Shields, CJ Wilson, D-Hudson, Chacin, Baker, Niese, Peacock

RP: Motte, Betancourt, Marmol, Guerra, J-Johnson

1. Team A: With Hart out for the first month maybe I was thinking about trading either Smoak or Gamel for an OF as a stop-gap. Thoughts?

2. Obviously, with team B I don't need 5 closers, so I can use one or two to upgrade at another position. I don't trust Hundley to stay healthy, Desmond to hit over .250, & I know I need more speed here. Any ideas?

Or do you see other pressing needs in either team? Thanks so much for your advice!

1. Depends on what kind of OF you can fetch for those two. If Thames gets the job then you might be fine. Doesn't hurt to shop around obviously.

2. I think you will be weak at SB. However, SB is pretty cheap. I'll bet you can find some off waivers. I wouldn't do anything yet because someone will want a closer. They are valuable trade chips.

If you identify a player you want via trade then we'll revisit. Cheers.

1. Depends on what kind of OF you can fetch for those two. If Thames gets the job then you might be fine. Doesn't hurt to shop around obviously.

2. I think you will be weak at SB. However, SB is pretty cheap. I'll bet you can find some off waivers. I wouldn't do anything yet because someone will want a closer. They are valuable trade chips.

If you identify a player you want via trade then we'll revisit. Cheers.

Thanks, man. I was thinking along the same lines, but one thought occurred to me for team B: I think I can get Maybin for the right offer since his owner only has Mariano to close. I can offer him any combo of Boesch/JD Martinez/Gamel/LaHair & Marmol/Guerra/Johnson. Would this be a good move, & if so, who would you offer up? Thanks once again!

Thanks, man. I was thinking along the same lines, but one thought occurred to me for team B: I think I can get Maybin for the right offer since his owner only has Mariano to close. I can offer him any combo of Boesch/JD Martinez/Gamel/LaHair & Marmol/Guerra/Johnson. Would this be a good move, & if so, who would you offer up? Thanks once again!

Maybin's Composite Projections:

.262 AVG, 78 R, 11 HR, 59 RBI, 30 SB

If you like Maybin and his owner won't miss his steals then it's fine. What round was he drafted? As long as he stays healthy and if 2011 wasn't a fluke then those numbers look very achievable.

You said 12 teams but I only see 8 keepers plus you. Are the 3 teams not keeping anyone? Sluggers who don't K a lot appear seem to be favored in this format (with speed).

A lot of good options but McCutchen is probably your best bet. If you like to roll the dice then go for Hosmer or Lawrie. Santana is a good value too but he'd be the last I'd keep in this format since he doesn't steal.

The other owners haven't declared yet. I was leaning either McCutchen or Lawrie. I'd rather lose a 12 than a 6, but McCutchen is definitely the safer play. Also, I was leaning Tulo at 4. Thoughts?

can you help me here

So I'm looking to join a league and i have a choice of 3 teams - Which team should I pick and which 4 keepers should I pick?

Fresno- http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse?leagueId=36555&teamId=4&seasonId=2012

Nashville- http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse?leagueId=36555&teamId=6&seasonId=2012

New Orleans- http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse?leagueId=36555&teamId=10&seasonId=2012

thanks

Definitely not Grizzlies...

Zephyrs: Cuddyer, Stanton, Hanley, Bumgarner, Cain

Sounds: Fielder, Braun, Beltre, Greinke, Lester

I think I want Sounds.

The other owners haven't declared yet. I was leaning either McCutchen or Lawrie. I'd rather lose a 12 than a 6, but McCutchen is definitely the safer play. Also, I was leaning Tulo at 4. Thoughts?

I'd keep Tulo at 4. With 12 guys off the table, you are not getting Tulo quality player anywhere near 4th round.

i can only pick 4 keepers so which one would you take off of each list?

Jed Lowrie or Stephen Drew as my SS in my deep keeper? Lowrie also has #B eligibility

Maybin's Composite Projections:

.262 AVG, 78 R, 11 HR, 59 RBI, 30 SB

If you like Maybin and his owner won't miss his steals then it's fine. What round was he drafted? As long as he stays healthy and if 2011 wasn't a fluke then those numbers look very achievable.

He was drafted in the 11th round, with the 150th pick. I do like him to steal about 35-40 this year (the Padres'll have to run to score) & score a bunch of runs while hitting around .260-.265. But I don't want to overpay for him because he's still unproven. What would you offer for him if you were me or would you just stay put?

i can only pick 4 keepers so which one would you take off of each list?

Zephyrs: Stanton, Hanley, Bumgarner, Cain

Sounds: Fielder, Braun, Beltre, Greinke

Jed Lowrie or Stephen Drew as my SS in my deep keeper? Lowrie also has #B eligibility

MDP Rank/Composite Projections:

176/Drew: .264 AVG, 63 R, 10 HR, 56 RBI, 6 SB

314/Lowrie: .257, 52, 11, 49, 2

Go with Drew. If healthy, he has a much higher upside. Lowrie qualifying at 3B is nice so depending on your team and how you plan on using him, he could be useful.

Wondering if you have a strategy for 1st year draft for a keeper league. We keep 4 with no expiration. We have 18 teams and we have lots of cats (AVG, OBP, 2B, 3B, HR, R, RBI, SB, K, E % W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, SHO, CG, QS, HLD, HR(against)). I'm wondering where you draft the really young guys like Harper, Matt Moore, Strasburg, etc. How many young keepers to go for vs veterans etc. I appreciate your feedback.

He was drafted in the 11th round, with the 150th pick. I do like him to steal about 35-40 this year (the Padres'll have to run to score) & score a bunch of runs while hitting around .260-.265. But I don't want to overpay for him because he's still unproven. What would you offer for him if you were me or would you just stay put?

150 sounds about right. MDP has Cameron at 138. Your question is too broad. We all put different values on players so it really depends on what you feel comfortable giving up. If you ask specific trade questions then I can help you further.

Dynasty 5*5 OPS instead of AVG and QS instead of W. 14 teams

C: Joe Mauer

1B: Albert Pujols

2B: Dustin Ackley

SS: Stephen Drew

3B: Adrian Beltre

MI: Rafael Furcal

CI: Paul Goldscmidt

OF: Ryan Braun

OF: BJ Upton

OF: Matt Joyce

OF: Torii Hunter

Util: David Ortiz

Bench: Pedro Alvarez

Bench: Cliff Pennington

Bench: Russell Martin

SP: Stephen Strasburg

SP: Michael Pineda

SP: CJ Wilson

SP: Doug Fister

RP: Brian Wilson

RP: Carlos Marmol

P: Johnny Venters

P: David Robertson

P: Johan Santana

Bench: Phil Hughes

Wondering if you have a strategy for 1st year draft for a keeper league. We keep 4 with no expiration. We have 18 teams and we have lots of cats (AVG, OBP, 2B, 3B, HR, R, RBI, SB, K, E % W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, SHO, CG, QS, HLD, HR(against)). I'm wondering where you draft the really young guys like Harper, Matt Moore, Strasburg, etc. How many young keepers to go for vs veterans etc. I appreciate your feedback.

Don't worry about young players. In deep leagues, you win if you take calculated risks. Playing time is at a premium. Don't gamble on 1st or 2nd year players because they can easily crap out or get sent down. Go with the best available regardless of position because position scarcity means less as more players get drafted. Focus on countable stats because they are much easier to predict. Top starters like Halladay, Verlander, Kershaw, etc are at a premium in your setting. Power will be at a premium. Good luck.

Not sure what you are asking.

Who is your top five overall?

Miggy, Pujols, Kemp, Bautista, and Tulo assuming standard settings.

Not sure what you are asking.

Sorry, just rate my team. Just drafted...where I can improve. Will it contend etc...Oh and forgot to say it is H2H

12 Team 5x5 Roto

ok my team is in the sig and the offer is Zobrist for Gardner and a 10th round pick. I think I can wiggle it down a little bit in the draft pick. We keep 7 players, so Gardner was a borderline keeper at best either way on my squad. Zobrist on the other hand is a substantial upgrade in my opinion over Cuddyer (who I am keeping because he has 2B eligibility). Any thoughts on this offer would be appreciated.

I countered with Gardy and a 13.

PS Our draft doesn't start at round 8 because we have 7 keepers. That is round one of the redraft.

Thanks so much for all the help you're offering Yoda. I was hoping you could help me with the following keeper question. If you could keep 2 of the following 4 players, who would it be:

Carlos Santana as an 8th rounder

Pablo Sandoval as an 8th rounder

Jordan Zimmerman as a 20th rounder

Buster Posey as a 20th rounder

Thanks so much Jedi Master!

12 Team 5x5 Roto

ok my team is in the sig and the offer is Zobrist for Gardner and a 10th round pick. I think I can wiggle it down a little bit in the draft pick. We keep 7 players, so Gardner was a borderline keeper at best either way on my squad. Zobrist on the other hand is a substantial upgrade in my opinion over Cuddyer (who I am keeping because he has 2B eligibility). Any thoughts on this offer would be appreciated.

PS Our draft doesn't start at round 8 because we have 7 keepers. That is round one of the redraft.

EDIT: I could also give Cuddyer in these deal as well. I think it is worth it for either Cuddyer or Gardner. Going to try to settle for a 12th and one of those players as I see Zobrist as a def upgrade here.

Offense seems decent but I'm surprised how weak you are at MI. That could potentially hurt you especially since Drew is not back, Furcal is old/unproductive, and Ackley is a big question mark. Stras won't pitch deep into games and is a shut down candidate. Pineda's velocity is down thus far and moving to a tougher environment so you will probably need to upgrade your rotation. You only have two closers and Wilson is very risky. Maybe I'm being overly critical but it seems like you need to make some moves.

12 Team 5x5 Roto

17th round pick doesn't mean anything. So it's really Cuddyer/17th pick for Zobrist. It sounds ok to me.