Sign in to follow this  
Code of Hammurabi

NL & AL Only leagues - Why? Rationale and Support?

As many have said, the great thing about only leagues, is just the depth to which you must go in the guys drafted. I was in an AL-Only league, 12 owners in the mid 1990's. Auction, roto 23 active spots, 2 catchers, a 2-C league thats 24 catchers when you have 14 total with a starting job. It is crazy the guys you get excited about, the little things.

There are 42 Starting OF, we need 60.

If a guy simply HAD a starting job, that made him extremely valuable in that format.

Only leagues have a couple issues:

1. The Trade thing - if it isnt done right, it can be a league killer. I personally make guys coming over as frozen, cant be picked up and guys traded away their stats keep running that season. As a commish and league you have to think the intent of the "only" format is to go deeper in your player pool not have the outcome altered because your guy gets dealt away or you drop some long reliever for Doug Fister.

Is there even a way to do that in like yahoo or espn leagues or do you have to have some other less used system?

Not sure, have never used either of them for baseball. The league I commissioner was around before fantasy sports were on the internet, so we have our own constitution and own rules, so our thing is to fin a site where those can be applied, not to be determined by whether or not a website can or cannot do something. Onroto is what we use, its $99 for the season, thats less than $10 per team for 6 months of stats and being able to create a league how you want.

I've heard in the past about people running joint AL and NL only leagues, same 12 owners but two completely separate drafts and leagues. And then the winner is the overall point total between the two leagues. I was trying to find some rules on how these are run but I couldn't seem to find anything when I googled it. Anyone have experience with this setup and want to share how they do it? Or if someone has a link to a site with info that would be great too.

Thanks!!

I don't understand why anybody would want to host a league where it costs the league an additional $100 - $150.

Yahoo & ESPN are both free, both offer live scoring now, reliable data/stat keeping, plenty of customization, dynasty/keeper league support, auction support, minor leaguer player pool, etc. etc. etc.

Why burn $100+?

I don't understand why anybody would want to host a league where it costs the league an additional $100 - $150.

Yahoo & ESPN are both free, both offer live scoring now, reliable data/stat keeping, plenty of customization, dynasty/keeper league support, auction support, minor leaguer player pool, etc. etc. etc.

Why burn $100+?

If you're old enough to where you've been playing fantasy pre internet, you probably have the patience to do a lot of things. Spending an extra 10 bucks to have the exact rules you want on a very obscure website is still way more convenient than counting things on paper. My home leagues would never be down for such a switch.

Sites like ESPN and yahoo have just much nicer interfaces, easier to use, and you're already on the site for other reasons (esp with espn). I do think both ESPN and Yahoo could be a lot better if they had better customization. It'll slowly happen.

Why burn $100+?

For re-draft leagues, I understand where you are coming from, for keeper leagues, especially ones that have some sort of minor league reserves, if having a league site that is up 365 and you arent waiting to "open" up, or like Brock said you want to have specific rules and constitution for your league and not have value and league shifts based on the whims of a website.

So give you an example: Last year Victor Martinez, didnt play in 2012, was drafted in our league for cheap, was gonna be a great keeper because our rules state that if a player does not play, his eligibility goes back to the year before. I acquired V mart in a deal knowing he was C eligible, now, on this same board a year ago, people were saying things like "I hope this site or that site gives him C eligibility" - really? Why isnt your league determining that through your own rules and constittion. Wouldnt you rather know that because your league has a standard set of rules?

Onroto is $100 per league, we have 13 owners in the league, that is less than $8 per franchise and its a 365 day website that never goes away (I can tell you who did what in 2011 -which sometimes for contract debates, etc can solve things), so when you think of 8 bucks over 12 months, thats what 75 cents per month to make sure that the host doesnt somehow alter the outcome with their decisions? But again, were an auction keeper who had 5 guys come in from out of state for the auction, so I guess we see things a little different and like Brock says, we have been at it pre-internet.

Now if Im in a re-draft pretty straight forward league, but if you are in an auction keeper league, or any keeper and its one that intends to be around a while and be somewhat serious, I cant see why one wouldnt pay 75 cents a month to do that.

I consider AL and NL-only players to be sadists. They only want to enjoy half of the awesome game that is fantasy baseball.

That being said, this will be my first year doing both an AL and an NL-only league! Yay!

Why burn $100+?

If you're old enough to where you've been playing fantasy pre internet, you probably have the patience to do a lot of things. Spending an extra 10 bucks to have the exact rules you want on a very obscure website is still way more convenient than counting things on paper. My home leagues would never be down for such a switch.

Sites like ESPN and yahoo have just much nicer interfaces, easier to use, and you're already on the site for other reasons (esp with espn). I do think both ESPN and Yahoo could be a lot better if they had better customization. It'll slowly happen.

Exactly. My first league was right at the start of the internet when you had to pay per minute/hour (can't remember which) just for dial-up access. So me and the co-commish would compile our league statistics by adding and subtracting from consecutive editions of hard copy editions of USA Today's Baseball Weekly. We'd then mail the floppy disks to each other weekly because it took so long to do. Mail as in actual snail mail.

That being said, it always maddened me when my leaguemates insisted on paying $125 to Yahoo when the only changes they would add every few years would be bells and whistles like their medal system, that even my 9 year old nephew would find insipid. It didn't bother me at all, though, paying the same fee to commissioner.com in the late 90s. Everything about it even back then blows away Yahoo NOW with the exception of live scoring.

Anybody notice any trends while doing their cheatsheets or mock drafts so far?

For AL-only, OF is pretty thin. After the first 5 or 6 picks - 5 and 6 being Rios and Choo - there's lots of question marks such as Cespedes, Myers, etc. If you have 4 OF in your league as mine does then even with only 6 teams ppl are gonna be over drafting the Bourns and Aokis a few rounds before the end of the draft. Gonna try to stock up on elite OFs as early as possible, which might mean drafting Ellsbury before EE and Davis and Joey bats before Longo.

In NL-only, OF runs out of quality after the first 22 OF or so but it's much deeper, Heyward and Marte are your 10th-12th picks. Having done AL and NL-only for the last decade, I've noticed that even though the AL is known as the offense-heavy league, the NL usually has more star hitters, and most of the times it isn't even close.

I remember about 10 years ago drafting Utley in the 17th round of an NL-only. Yes it was a small league and it was right before he became a star but this was a young 2b who just hit 16 HRs or so in 300 or so ABs. For AL-only can't remember who was the equivalent but it was probably someone like Adam Kennedy.

Every only league I play in lets you keep the player if they are traded during the season. You just can't trade them and if they're dropped, they're gone. And since players can be traded too the leauge, it makes waiver priority or FAAB worth more.

But I like only leagues since I can play in 10 or 12 man redrafts with people I know from other leagues instead of having to fill up a league to 20 or 24. Good luck finding 24 owners who will stay active all season long in a redraft league.

• Like 1

Every only league I play in lets you keep the player if they are traded during the season. You just can't trade them and if they're dropped, they're gone. And since players can be traded too the leauge, it makes waiver priority or FAAB worth more.

But I like only leagues since I can play in 10 or 12 man redrafts with people I know from other leagues instead of having to fill up a league to 20 or 24. Good luck finding 24 owners who will stay active all season long in a redraft league.

I agree completely with this. For example, take a standard 12 team yahoo league with 23 man rosters. You only eat into 37% of the player pool. If you do an AL or NL Only league, with those same 12 teams, you now eat into 85% of the available player pool.

You just made a far deeper and more rewarding fantasy baseball game without the headache/logistic issues that come with running 16, 20+ team leagues.

I also agree with another poster that talked about the quality of league being only as good as the commitment of the members in it. It's FAR easier to find a smaller group of really committed hardcore fantasy owners than a really large one.

Shallow leagues are ridiculous. Unless you can get 16+ competitive managers together, and I have yet to ever see that last a full season, you should be in an only league.

• Like 1

Most of the ppl on a fantasy baseball site in early February will support deep leagues or only leagues for the challenge. I feel like the casual fans that look at box scores late at night after watching only their favorite team play belong in the 10-12 mixed league category. The guys in only leagues will be pumped up to turn on the Marlins one night because a 21 year old prospect got called up and they want to see if he will help their team or not.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but some ppl enjoy watching one league more than the other. For me I love the small ball and extra decisions that have to be made in the NL, plus the two teams I keep up with the most the Braves and Cardinals give me more incentive to watch NL teams. I think a real challenge would be to play in both AL-only and NL-only leagues. I know how much time I put into my NL only leagues and I cant imagine having a life if I put just as much into an AL-only as well. Probably my biggest pet peeve on here is listening to 10-12 mixers jump on and off players bandwagons after 1 or 2 bad games. Got to have more patience to play in the deep leagues

Most of the ppl on a fantasy baseball site in early February will support deep leagues or only leagues for the challenge. I feel like the casual fans that look at box scores late at night after watching only their favorite team play belong in the 10-12 mixed league category. The guys in only leagues will be pumped up to turn on the Marlins one night because a 21 year old prospect got called up and they want to see if he will help their team or not.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but some ppl enjoy watching one league more than the other. For me I love the small ball and extra decisions that have to be made in the NL, plus the two teams I keep up with the most the Braves and Cardinals give me more incentive to watch NL teams. I think a real challenge would be to play in both AL-only and NL-only leagues. I know how much time I put into my NL only leagues and I cant imagine having a life if I put just as much into an AL-only as well. Probably my biggest pet peeve on here is listening to 10-12 mixers jump on and off players bandwagons after 1 or 2 bad games. Got to have more patience to play in the deep leagues

I must be a gluten ... I play in A.L. only dynasty, N.L. only dynasty, 14 team mixed keeper and 12 team mixed redraft

I must be a gluten ... I play in A.L. only dynasty, N.L. only dynasty, 14 team mixed keeper and 12 team mixed redraft

Damn I thought this forum was Gluten Free.

• Like 1

Damn I thought this forum was Gluten Free.

must be this diet I'm on ... dang subconscious!

Two good points here Bravesfan.

1. What audience are we talking about? The Casual Fantasy player or the more serioius player. Most people doing fantasy sports, probably a large % (especially football) are casual fantasy players. They print out their ESPN top 250 list and head off to the draft or draft online. When the seasons over its forgotten about. If you are talking head to head 10 or 12 team mixed, where you just dont go that deep, often times those H2H are 1 catcher, no CI or MI, its not a 9 pitcher active staff - the reality is that most of what is discussed on these boards really dont apply to that type of league. But those who are more serious, which is probably a pretty large pct of those on here (especially in the discussion area) are looking often times for leagues that offer complexity, depth and some thought that matches their relative interest, which is pretty high if you are scrolling message boards in February (let alone those of us that were doing Mocks in November and December).

2. Baseball purists many feel the NL is the pure game, the strategy that goes along with having the "pitchers" spot and the impact it has on the fantasy game, guys in lead off spots or 8 spots of an NL line up have different aspects to consider, and some people love those nuances in real life and want to see them in the fantasy game as well.

• Like 1

Is it to make things more challenging? Or to simulate the experience of a "deep" league? Those are the only reasons I can think of.

Not that those reasons are bad, but for those of you that have played AL/NL-only leagues, how does it compare against mixed leagues in terms of fun?

Is it to make things more challenging? Or to simulate the experience of a "deep" league? Those are the only reasons I can think of.

Not that those reasons are bad, but for those of you that have played AL/NL-only leagues, how does it compare against mixed leagues in terms of fun?

It definitely makes it more challenging, and it is a deep league. If you really love baseball and can't get enough of it, then an only league will be much more fun. If you're a casual fantasy baseball player you might not enjoy an only league as much, since it requires much more time to hunt for diamonds in the rough. After about June/July the waiver wire is a barren wasteland.

I'm in a 10 team NL only and a 12 team mixed, and I have to put so much more effort into the NL league that I often put off my mixed league til the last minute. Good thing is, I know those NL guys like the back of my hand. I usually miss out on the deep AL sleepers.

I haven't played in one in years but I always found them to be pretty enjoyable. Sucks when one of your guys gets traded to a different league at the deadline though.

I haven't played in one in years but I always found them to be pretty enjoyable. Sucks when one of your guys gets traded to a different league at the deadline though.

So if an NL stud gets traded to the AL he's ineligible in an NL-only league then? That would suck. For that reason I'd guess there are no dynasty or keeper leagues then.

So if an NL stud gets traded to the AL he's ineligible in an NL-only league then? That would suck. For that reason I'd guess there are no dynasty or keeper leagues then.

I've been playing in A.L. and N.L. only dynasty leagues for 20+ years. We have it setup where the person losing a player in an across league trade gets first dibs on the player coming back in the deal. It gets a bit tricky on the 1 for 2 or 2 for 3 trades but we work it out.

Not much you can do on free agency ... now those can hurt big time.