Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AdamDunnSlobGut

2012 Do Not Draft List

67 posts in this topic

I know there's other people that do this but I haven't seen a topic about it here. It dawned on me while doing some mock drafts and even real drafts that when it came time to take a guy that would be a good value, and likely a solid pick by most standards, I would not pick him. He would be there, just waiting for me to nab him and I would pass every time. Some of it is due to me just not believing the guy is as good as his ADP, his projected stats, etc. But something else is at play too, I suspect. Take a guy like Madison Bumgarner, for example, because he sticks out the most for me. I don't know if it's his name, his physical stature or what, but I have a real hard time buying into him, and whenever he's there in the draft come my pick, I pass.

There's so many players out there to choose from, and for so many reasons, sometimes maybe we pass over guys that would be great for our team and thus are forced to watch from afar as they blaze through MLB that year. Anyone have any good stories/theories/whatever to add here in our never ending quest to crack the fantasy baseball code?

Being a Yankee fan, I used to never draft Red Sox or Yankees (because I didn't want to root for Sox and didn't want to duffer doubly when Yankees got hurt/played poorly), but obviously these strategies are silly and I abandoned them a long time ago.

I think everyone has irrational bias against players that have burned them in the past. But bias has no place. Fantasy is business, not personal. At least, it is if there are prizes on the line.

Call me superstitious, but the first team to not make the playoffs always seems to have Nick Markakis on it. My anti mancrush

I can relate. I passed on Rickie Weeks last year i guess just because ive seen him play so many times and watched him make poor defensive decisions (yes i know defense doesnt affect FBB). I dont know... I just really cant stand the guy and dont really have a really valid explanation. LOL

I don't think I ever came close to drafting Dunn before. I could never understand his high draft position because his AVG and SBs were always poor.

I also have a general aversion to speed guys who tend to go high: Reyes, Crawford, etc. I value good hitters over one dimensional players.

I will not draft or have SF Giants on my squad.

same here, but Im actually a Giants fan. well, I wont draft anyone whos a high rounder like lincecum/cain/wilson/pablo/posey

when players get injured/suck its just too much for me to have them also ruin my fantasy teams and my $

Joe Mauer could be there in the last round and I might still pass...

Same goes for Markakis and Mark Reynolds.

I also have a general aversion to speed guys who tend to go high: Reyes, Crawford, etc.  I value good hitters over one dimensional players.

I agree, alot of the hyper speed, 1 or 2 tool guys always go way higher than i think they should. I would add Bourn to that list.

Rockies' starting pitchers. I don't care that one or two of them will be really, really good. I don't want to risk the bad ones. I still have the phrase "He's gonna go Bryan Rekar on you a$$" stuck in my head.

I agree, alot of the hyper speed, 1 or 2 tool guys always go way higher than i think they should. I would add Bourn to that list.

Bourn is one hammy away from being a $5 player. Can't say that about Pence or other comparably-priced guys.

why the reynolds hate ? consistent counting stats guy is always money in fantasy...did u overdraft him one year ? :P

why the reynolds hate ? consistent counting stats guy is always money in fantasy...did u overdraft him one year ? :P

No, I have never owned him. I just don't want to deal with the average, and I think that category gets undervalued. I understand if you strategically fit him into your lineup it can work but I just prefer not dealing with a guy who hits .200.

It kills me to take low avg. guys. I drafted BJ Upton my first year playing and he was awful and seeing the 0-fer's everyday was just brutal. I think watching his swing really irks me. It's so superfluous and loopy.

I may never draft a guy that consistently hits in the .240s.

I'm not a Jose Reyes type of guy. I avoid him, Joe Mauer, and anyone else I see as overrated.

No, I have never owned him. I just don't want to deal with the average, and I think that category gets undervalued. I understand if you strategically fit him into your lineup it can work but I just prefer not dealing with a guy who hits .200.

I think this is the mindset in a roto league, because you don't want to punt any categories.

In H2H though, I have no problem drafting BJ Upton/Big Donkey types because their counting stats are good, and players get hot and cold so you're bound to win AVG. every now and again.

EDIT: To chip in on the discussion, I will not be drafting Starlin Castro, Elvis Andrus, or Carlos Santana. Their ranks on Yahoo (the format that I like to play on) are way too high.

It kills me to take low avg. guys. I drafted BJ Upton my first year playing and he was awful and seeing the 0-fer's everyday was just brutal. I think watching his swing really irks me. It's so superfluous and loopy.

I may never draft a guy that consistently hits in the .240s.

I dont know, I used to think that too in roto, but looking at my most competitive $ league...

a 10 in avg 2 years ago (14 being the highest) was .274

a 10 in avg last year was .270

an 8 was .266

in this era of pitching low average guys start becoming less and less hurtful. the great average guys make a bigger difference now though.

I think this is the mindset in a roto league, because you don't want to punt any categories.

In H2H though, I have no problem drafting BJ Upton/Big Donkey types because their counting stats are good, and players get hot and cold so you're bound to win AVG. every now and again.

EDIT: To chip in on the discussion, I will not be drafting Starlin Castro, Elvis Andrus, or Carlos Santana. Their ranks on Yahoo (the format that I like to play on) are way too high.

Oh no doubt, if I played head to head I would completely punt average in every league. One week segments make average completely random. That is one of the reasons why I haven't played h2h in years though.

I love the power/speed combination, but Drew Stubbs scares the crap out of me based on where he's been going in some leagues I'm in. If he could even sniff .270, he'd be elite, but the K rate keeps climbing. Saving grace is he's great defensively, so it would be tough for the Reds to bench him, but I'm not a fan this season

Reading this post I didn't know whether to laugh or cry ... I did both. I had all 3 of these scrubs on my Roto 16 teamer last year.

And YES, I despise all 3!

1 person likes this

How about not drafting Carlos Marmol. This guy is killing me as an owner and Cubs fan. He plunked a player AGAIN today. His slider looks like it is long gone and he has horrible command with the fastball. Seriously, he will probably lose his spot or get traded within the first couple months. Meltdown after meltdown.... Gonna blow the most saves in MLB this year not just the NL like last year. Ugh!

This year I'm avoiding anybody with a BB/9 over 5.00 -- Jonathan Sanchez, Edinson Volquez, Carlos Marmol, etc. It's too frustrating owning guys that can't throw strikes.

Also moving the 3.50 to 5.00 BB/9 crowd (Lester, Lincecum, Kimbrel, Valverde, Feliz, lots of other decent SP/RP's in this group) down in rankings which means I probably won't draft any of them. I wouldn't put this crowd on the DND list but will generally be shy about bidding on them at auction or taking them in snake.

I will not be drafting the following for the given reasons:

Irrational hatred:

Chipper Jones

Rational hatred:

Alex Rodriguez

Ricky Nolasco

Injury:

Kevin Youkilis (getting hold in a hurrrrry)

Ryan Howard (will miss half the year)

Overhyped:

Brett Lawrie (love him, on my keeper team but for gods sake i've seen him going top 40!)

Performance:

Lincecum (love him too but don't love a 3-year decline in performance with no decline in public perception)

Pineda (have him for a $1 so whatever, but I'm starting to believe the sophomore slump may come after all. looks blah this spring)

1 person likes this